Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ugh Witcher 3 was just on sale and I flaked and forgot to buy it, NOW I'LL NEVER loving PLAY IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Fallout encourages you to collect trash to sell or craft with and then imposes a weight system on you as an inconvenience. Actually useful items (stimpacks, ammo, etc) have essentially negligible weight compared to the loot that you are meant to be collecting.

It's a lovely system and is fun for no one

I like how the New Vegas dlc Old world Blues handled this.

you get a base full of robots that can turn all the junk garbage in the world into useful ammo and other stuff, giving you an incentive to collect it all. but at the same time it gives you a magic device that teleports you back to base even if you are 1000+lbs over your weight limit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Ugh Witcher 3 was just on sale and I flaked and forgot to buy it, NOW I'LL NEVER loving PLAY IT

don't worry about it, it's not a good game. It's got an alright story/setting, but the game itself is poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Games that last more than 10 hours tops are just garbage skinner boxes.

Your "epic story" that's a mishmash of bad genre fiction tropes and even worse writing isn't worth spending several weeks of gaming time.

Just give me FTL or Into the Breach, for randomly generated content that can be beaten in an hour.

:same: I don't care about story at all and like games that challenge the mind and that I can boot up quickly most of all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Crafting systems are always boring garbage. People who complain about games when they lack some lovely crafting system are the worst and should go play with a spreadsheet program instead of loudly demanding that developers waste resources on a crafting system

Crafting in it's simplest, most basic form is pretty cool. Like, in games that limit how much stuff you can find and carry (resident evil, TLOU etc) . And crafting means you can make a box of ammo or maybe a health kit or bomb, and shortly after you are really happy that you made a bomb or mad at yourself cause you made a health kit when you would have better off with bullets.

Crafting as a way to waste time in games, by rifling through piles of stupid items is horrid though. I'm playing through Prey right now and the crafting system is pretty cool in that game.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It is actually a good game, unlike what guy above me said. But it also goes on sale like every other week.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 11, 2019

AdmiralNeltharion
Feb 23, 2018
MOBA is poo poo, people who plays them just have stockholm syndrome.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sorry that you apparently have a wasting disease preventing you from reading more than a few sentences at a time before you make your next shitpost.

Does anyone actually derive joy from collecting rocks and wooden spoons in these Bethesda games? That kind of person probably has a hoarder house, just full of old tin cans and rotting food that they keep pulling from dumpsters. A pile of waste that they recognize as being worth more than themselves

I remember a preview of the Elder Scrolls MMO which complained it didn't feel Elder Scrollsy because you couldn't pick up all the plates and cups

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Diablo 2 is a good example of how to make a longer game, it's probably at least 40 hours for someone taking their time and it rarely wears on your patience (but there are some areas that could have been shorter)

Lut Gholein

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

2house2fly posted:

I remember a preview of the Elder Scrolls MMO which complained it didn't feel Elder Scrollsy because you couldn't pick up all the plates and cups

That's why I never wanted to play it. I want to be able to do that kind of poo poo in an elder scrolls game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

2house2fly posted:

A true hero litters the realm with ladders made of paintbrushes

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The best inventory management system was in ultima 7 where your tileless bag and pack collection could lose a six pixel high key behind a bottle of ale and sometimes lose it for reals when the voodoo memory manager ran out of 640k of high upper mem.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

2house2fly posted:

Yeah that loving sucks and makes it not an elder Scrolls game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Halser posted:

inventory limits only make sense if there's some kind of tangible time limit you're running against.

That only makes it worse though whoops sorry wrong thread!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

veni veni veni posted:

It is actually a good game, unlike what guy above me said. But it also goes on sale like every other week.

The combat is mediocre but makes up for it with the rest of the game. I just wish it focused more on being a monster detective and all the stuff that came with that and less with fighting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

That's why I never wanted to play it. I want to be able to do that kind of poo poo in an elder scrolls game.

So are you a hoarder irl or what

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Tetris inventory was pulled off the best in RE4 in my opinion. Watching your case get bigger and actually change the UI art every upgrade for it gave it a neat tactile feel, and it felt fun to organize if you're into that. The game itself is surprisingly lean and doesn't drop any garbage on you, but you might have to toss a flash grenade or two if you want to take a rocket launcher. The sacrifices made for the usability in a co-op mode in RE55 + 6 was a bigger bummer for me than it should have been, really.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

So are you a hoarder irl or what

So if someone plays FIFA, they're literally a multi-millionaire rapist of no value to society?

I guess you're half-right.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If I could travel to Mars and shoot demons with a shotgun I definitely would do that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pillars of Eternity 2 is long as gently caress despite the fact that there are like 5 towns

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
All the talk about it being "100+ hours long!" are why I haven't bought it: Give me a focused experience, not a never-ending game.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Salt and Sanctuary is better than Hollow Knight.

Beginning was fine but getting stuck in the mines and pretty much everything after city of tears was scuffed as hell. Didn’t finish it.

Beat S&S like 10 times and periodically go back again.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

DebonaireD posted:

The best inventory management system was in ultima 7 where your tileless bag and pack collection could lose a six pixel high key behind a bottle of ale and sometimes lose it for reals when the voodoo memory manager ran out of 640k of high upper mem.
Hmmm. Well personally as a virtuous avatar who never takes anything outside of Lord British's castle I always have so much memory that I don't even need a bootdisk to play. Looks like you have some growing up to do.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lambert posted:

All the talk about it being "100+ hours long!" are why I haven't bought it: Give me a focused experience, not a never-ending game.

Lol I suspected you're a Crroma alt, this just confirms it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ragnarok Online had an awesome crafting system because it was designed to make people crazy/suicidal

You coudl just sit in town and watch people lose all of their wealth, right there in public, within the span of a few short seconds lol

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Ganson posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is better than Hollow Knight.

Beginning was fine but getting stuck in the mines and pretty much everything after city of tears was scuffed as hell. Didn’t finish it.

Beat S&S like 10 times and periodically go back again.

How did you manage to get stuck in the mine?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hollow knight would be better if it wasn't such a pain in the rear end. Like, going back to get all your poo poo when you die, i just feel like they did that because like, dark souls

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I was fine with the punishment for death in Hollow Knight. The thing that made me drop it was how I had to spend the majority of my time searching around the whole map for the one little door that leads to where I'm supposed to go next. I would run to one corner of the map only to be reminded that the little unexplored notch was a place I still can't go because I don't have double jump or whatever, so I'd run all the way to another corner, rinse, repeat. To make this even worse, you don't even get an auto generated map of the new places you explore until you find the map guy. It all made the game feel really tedious.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bradzilla posted:

Lol I suspected you're a Crroma alt, this just confirms it

Nice try, Crroma.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DebonaireD posted:

Should have logged into Origins BBS and downloaded the patch that automates the key handling. :smug:

Of course, if you're too poor to have a modem, you could always call them and they'd send it to you on a floppy.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Loot shooters and just about any game that has you constantly grinding for weapons and trinkets suck.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Borderlands series were ok unless you were a whale and grinded at top level for some reason.

Really just like diablo except fun and not lame.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Borderlands series were ok unless you were a whale and grinded at top level for some reason.

I liked the Borderlands because they were pretty and partially rather funny. I wish there had been more actually open spaces for driving around in, though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

I liked the Borderlands because they were pretty and partially rather funny. I wish there had been more actually open spaces for driving around in, though.

Didn't play the original and didn't care much about driving, but I liked it for what it was: a casual shooter with coop and randomized weapons that felt different. Oh and it didn't take itself seriously so that's a plus.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

"farming bosses for random loot is great gameplay- let's put this in a FPS" -- borderlands developers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
any randomness in games is a waste of time. all games should be perfect logic puzzles

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

poverty goat posted:

"farming bosses for random loot is great gameplay- let's put this in a FPS" -- borderlands developers

Why'd you bother to do that? Just play on normal difficulty and loot cool guns, you can win the game with like random greens. Once you beat the game, just put it down and do the dishes or something idk

Completionists are mentally ill.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Colonel Cancer posted:

Completionists are mentally ill.

greetings fellow gamers, I am so hip that I use mental illness as a pejorative to put down people who enjoy their hobbies differently from me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Borderlands 2 was a solid attempt but a bad game.

- Drop rates were horrendous

- The new game+ difficulty levels were also horrendous and required you to either farm endlessly or use a program to level up the guns in your inventory (very much do the latter), because a gun even 2 levels behind your current level was worthless

- Class balance was woefully bad

It was kind of a trendsetter, as since then better games have come out that still have their own problems (Destiny).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

greetings fellow gamers, I am so hip that I use mental illness as a pejorative to put down people who enjoy their hobbies differently from me

Mental illness is not a badge of honor hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I never played any of the Borderlands because I thought they looked realllllly ugly and the few snippets of "humour" I saw in promotional material turned me off massively