Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Dominaria counts as Rath, and we've had a set called New Phyrexia so uhhhhhh

meant old Phyrexia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

People have been hooting about going back to Lorwyn and Kamigawa for a long time, and it's not we haven't already been back to it half those planes you listed.

What planes have we not returned to the anyway? Ignoring stuff from the past 5 years, there's Ulgrotha, Lorwyn, Kamigawa, Rabiah (lol) and... Mercadia? Anything else?

fake edit: holy poo poo Alara was a decade ago

I have no doubt a small but dedicated group of people have been loudly hooting about Lorwyn and Kamigawa for years. There's probably dedicated crystal pepsi fans hooting about when we can finally bring it back.

I'm shocked we haven't gone back to Alara and Mirrodin given how popular they are, at least with Tarkir it was much more recent and I think the sets after khans were much less of a hit, kind of like Theros.

Also a huge portion of magic took place on Dominaria which is why a lot of the old settings like Ulgrotha, Mercadia and Rabiah are sort of weird outliers.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I want to go back to Mirrodin, but it has been destroyed :( I don’t care about going back to the Grimdark place it has been transformed into.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Lorwyn block came out when the economy was experiencing a little bit of fuckery.

I don't buy this at all, it was the same economic period Alara and Zendikar were super successful in.

Kamigawa being hurt by Mirrodin might be true, I think Kaladesh might have hurt the sets after it immensely, but it was more than just a gameplay failure as I understand it, people genuinely didn't like the design on top of it, despite that being a large part of what people who want it back are so crazy about.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Kamigawa performed poorly probably because Affinity loving killed standard attendance (local play in my area basically didn't recover for a year) and Kamigawa had a bunch of wonky useless stuff and low-powered cards compared to Mirrodin and Darksteel.

Lorwyn block came out when the economy was experiencing a little bit of fuckery.

For people who didn't play during this era - a 3/3 flyer for five mana was a bomb.

That card would still see a shitload of play in draft, Chillbringer was just fine

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't care where the new set is based, I just want Seb to draw all the art.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

Dominaria counts as Rath, and we've had a set called New Phyrexia so uhhhhhh

New Phyrexia was 7 years ago

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I have no doubt a small but dedicated group of people have been loudly hooting about Lorwyn and Kamigawa for years. There's probably dedicated crystal pepsi fans hooting about when we can finally bring it back.

crystal pepsi came back two years ago

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tainen posted:

Edit: here is MaRo’s new plane short list

Egyptian World
Fairy Tale World
High fantasy/”Camelot” World
Indian World
Meso-American World
Murder Mystery/Noir World
Pirate World
Prehistoric World
Prison World
Roman World
Sky World
Steampunk World
Underground World
Viking/Norse World
Water World
Wild West-Inspired World

We've gotten all of these except Water World, WestWorld, Prison World, Sky World, Underground World, Noir World, Roman World, and Camelot World. I guess you could fudge it and say Serra's Realm was Sky. Honestly any of those would be better than a Norse plane, the Viking stuff has already been done to death and it's boring as hell.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This is some good trolling

https://twitter.com/stillcary/status/1105135263393681410?s=21

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I mean, that's pretty much the quality level of MTG writing we get.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
He literally gets X eyes. Amazing way to carry the mood of a major character death.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

That is legitimately better than the real Apocalypse novel, which is the worst book I have ever read. It is bad even by the standards of "a novelised version of a set of trading cards."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

We've gotten all of these except Water World, WestWorld, Prison World, Sky World, Underground World, Noir World, Roman World, and Camelot World. I guess you could fudge it and say Serra's Realm was Sky. Honestly any of those would be better than a Norse plane, the Viking stuff has already been done to death and it's boring as hell.
Noir was the mystery part of Shadows over Innistrad.

Roman world is literally the exact same thing as Greek world and nothing you can tell me will convince me otherwise.

Norse already had some influence on Ice Age but probably not all that much.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'd say that Innistrad was pretty much the noir world in SoI, what with Investigate and Jace in a trench coat walking around looking at things. Dominaria had a whole knights in shining armor subtheme.

Wasn't there an underground setting in one of the GDS?

e:

Lone Goat posted:

Noir was the mystery part of Shadows over Innistrad, and Roman world is literally the exact same thing as Greek world and nothing you can tell me will convince me otherwise.

Romans would be quite different aesthetically, which is arguably the most important thing for a Magic set. Also the Romans and Greeks were very different in a million ways, even in the pop culture view that a set would draw on. You'd have less monsters and more gladiators.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 11, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Tulul posted:

Romans would be quite different aesthetically, which is arguably the most important thing for a Magic set. Also the Romans and Greeks were very different in a million ways, even in the pop culture view that a set would draw on. You'd have less monsters and more gladiators.

olympics/gladiators, exact same thing

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

the battlebond plane was kind of roman colisseum-y

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How do you do a Magic "noir" set?

e:guess SoI makes sense

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Framboise posted:

He literally gets X eyes. Amazing way to carry the mood of a major character death.

I'm someone who has never read any MTG novelizations/stories, so I may be out of my element. Is it correct for me to immediately think this is fake, or is the level of writing comparable in the real thing?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm someone who has never read any MTG novelizations/stories, so I may be out of my element. Is it correct for me to immediately think this is fake, or is the level of writing comparable in the real thing?

Cary edited the text to make it look like it pointed to the unknown WAR Planeswalker being Urza.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rinkles posted:

How do you do a Magic "noir" set?

e:guess SoI makes sense

Guilds of Ravnica was noirish

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lol i didn't realize notion rain had matrix rain in its art

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheMaestroso posted:

It's extremely fake

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rkajdi posted:

Are limited and raft that much of the community? I mean, the commander players at the local shop are kind of the dumb kids playing super slow magic, but apparently commander sells a poo poo ton of cards despite modern being the popular format. I'd guess limited moves packs, which is okay for shops even if they miss all the real money of singles w/r/t it.

FNM draft routinely gets two pods at my local store, Modern usually gets about 8 people, and I don’t think they’ve fired a sanctioned FNM standard event in over a year.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

lol i didn't realize notion rain had matrix notion rain in its art

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

flatluigi posted:

It's extremely fake

you can tell because it's bad in a fun, self-aware way

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

vegetables posted:

That is legitimately better than the real Apocalypse novel, which is the worst book I have ever read. It is bad even by the standards of "a novelised version of a set of trading cards."

I have not read the apocalypse novel but I have a hard time believing it is worse than the :catdrugs: that is Scourge

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Apparently The Thran and then the Urza books (Brother's War/Planeswalker/Timestreams/Bloodlines) were alright, but that might just be compared to the rest of the Magic books

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Guilds of Ravnica was noirish

Deadly Visit is another card with a heavy noir theme, although looking at these nothing can really top Thought Erasure with the shadows of the blinds being as noir as you can get.

*pushes up glasses*

excuse me, but Notion Rain is clearly Neo-Noir
:goonsay:

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 12, 2019

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
as a 15 y/o i really enjoyed the brothers war books but im also an idiot hth

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Apparently The Thran and then the Urza books (Brother's War/Planeswalker/Timestreams/Bloodlines) were alright, but that might just be compared to the rest of the Magic books

It’s this. None of the MtG novels are good enough to be worth reading on their own merits. The Thran and Brother’s War are alright if you care about the lore, though. I can’t really remember the other Urza books.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
imo the mtg books aren't great but they're about the level of basically any licensed novels

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The OG Arena books were the best.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

flatluigi posted:

imo the mtg books aren't great but they're about the level of basically any licensed novels

They very wildly between solid licensed pulp and hilariously bad.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

vegetables posted:

Oh so you never read Scourge then

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadeofBlue posted:

It’s this. None of the MtG novels are good enough to be worth reading on their own merits. The Thran and Brother’s War are alright if you care about the lore, though. I can’t really remember the other Urza books.

The OG Ravnica trilogy was all right if for no other reason than it did some decent world-building using a story that wasn't about a Planswalker but rather a Boros beat cop.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I unironically really liked The Gathering Dark and still have a copy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

since people are posting about kamigawa i have to remind everyone of the most powerful card ever printed, WAXMANE BAKU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The OG ravnica book was pretty OK, it was about a 90-something boros beat cop, just a week away from retirement teaming up with a Golgari necrobug-mancer to uncover the dimir conspiracy to something something something. Jarad was kinda cool, whatever happened to him? Did Vraska just kill him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hellsau posted:

Kamigawa performed poorly probably because Affinity loving killed standard attendance (local play in my area basically didn't recover for a year) and Kamigawa had a bunch of wonky useless stuff and low-powered cards compared to Mirrodin and Darksteel.

For people who didn't play during this era - a 3/3 flyer for five mana was a bomb.

My problem with Kamigawa was loving Jitte. That one card overshadowed every other part of the set, which was already standing in Mirrodin's very long very dark shadow.

That was pretty much it. It wasn't a great limited set and it wasn't a great constructed set and the flavor was unexpected for the era (I think it would go over a hell of a lot better now - back then expectations for something Japanese flavored were stupidly narrow). But like, Magic is still suffering from the long shadow cast by Mirrodin to this very day so I can't blame the set for that at all.

e: We are very lucky that Wizards pulled out Ravnica and then Time Spiral after Mirrodin and Kamigawa or the game might not be here today. In a vacuum Kamigawa might have just been remembered as a below average set like, say, Theros, but it existed in context of one of the most controversial sets of all time and two of the best sets of all time.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 12, 2019