Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I posted the link in the local Facebook group with the expectation of getting a bunch of property owners getting their panties in a twist, but no, literally everyone seems to be in favour of it, except one dude who thinks his neighbors who spend 3 months of the year here shouldn't count as having an empty house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The fact this is even a thing is absolutely baffling to me. Vacant mansions being rented out for pennies on the dollar...Vancouver truly is in another galaxy.

Yeah I'd been seeing some of that mortimer_1 Twitter account's posts and there was some ridiculous West Van mansion with like 6 bedrooms going for twice what we pay for our lovely two-bedroom off Commercial Drive. Like, we could get another two couples who are good friends and be pretty well set up.

(Except that the commute from British Properties would suck balls.)

I'm also not entirely sure that they weren't intending for the rent to be "per week" or something.

Meanwhile, I've been seeing bullshit like people trying to rent out barely-lived-in McMansions on the Cambie Corridor for ridiculous prices, like $6K/month for this three-bedroom. I saw a 4-bedroom trying to rent for $8K/month, and really wasn't sure who would even think about paying that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The fact this is even a thing is absolutely baffling to me. Vacant mansions being rented out for pennies on the dollar...Vancouver truly is in another galaxy.

Everything old is new again? Lots of mansions in the olden days ended up being split into walk-up apartment buildings we know today.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Lobok posted:

Everything old is new again? Lots of mansions in the olden days ended up being split into walk-up apartment buildings we know today.

Sure, that’s true, however, people usually lived in them first. So many of these were built for land banking. End result is probably the same, as you suggest.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This was unironically posted in a thread on a Vancouver development forum after a student asked what would be your ideal home:

quote:

If your talking about a 1 bedroom the ideal size for a young professional is around 300-400sqft.

Standup shower with toilet, kitchen+living room and bedroom.

Bathtubs, 4 stovetops (you only really need 1-2), balconies, laundry machines, are all unnecessary although I admit having your own laundry machines is nice. I think windows are unnecessary because now you can just have TV's that mimic the look of windows and good ventilation. Fridge+oven can be built into the kitchen countertop and a washing machine isn't required but is nice.

Its unnecessary and expensive to have finished walls. Would be much better to just have plastic removable panels so you can access plumbing and wiring easier. With concrete you can just polish it. Many condos are difficult to maintain because you never know a problem is occurring in the walls until it appears and you need to cut into walls to repair it. Then you need to repair the wall. Repairs are a pain. We should just have transparent removable panels over walls so we can see the piping (make it artistic?). Also juliet balconies are much cheaper and more practical than building a big normal balcony. Also hot water baseboards are a pain to maintain as they have valves and require a boiler+piping. Better to just have electric baseboards.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=8502366

The poster is the most insufferable fascist weirdo I've ever seen so this is not a joke.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This was unironically posted in a thread on a Vancouver development forum after a student asked what would be your ideal home:

The poster is the most insufferable fascist weirdo I've ever seen so this is not a joke.

I too, have seen Terry Gilliam's totally literal, unironic masterpiece, Brazil. These are like the guys who think food is a hardship and long for nutritionally complete gruel.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think that dude built a PC once and then decided that that'd be the mirror he gazes through to interpet his life.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CRISPYBABY posted:

I think that dude built a PC once and then decided that that'd be the mirror he gazes through to interpet his life.

Hi, welcome to the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Forums, friend. Have you met anyone here (or even yourself)?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

HandlingByJebus posted:

Hi, welcome to the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Forums, friend. Have you met anyone here (or even yourself)?

I have but I'm more used the more standard nerd flaws like interpreting all media as if you're writing a video game review. Asking your house to be modular, translucent and have glowing blue LEDs (ok that last one is implicit) like your last *sick build* is new to me.

I don't read YOSPOS tho so maybe they're hiding around.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CRISPYBABY posted:

I have but I'm more used the more standard nerd flaws like interpreting all media as if you're writing a video game review. Asking your house to be modular, translucent and have glowing blue LEDs (ok that last one is implicit) like your last *sick build* is new to me.

I don't read YOSPOS tho so maybe they're hiding around.

Sounds like someone doesn't understand what females crave in a home.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

HookShot posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't understand what females crave in a home.

drat right. They crave DoomGuy's bathroom. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

drat right. They crave DoomGuy's bathroom. :colbert:

:thejoke:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That reminds me of the manifesto from the guy that made that food replacement soylent stuff https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/op-ed-how-i-gave-up-alternating-current/

quote:

Kitchens are expensive and dirty. This home manufacturing center has been by far the most liberating to eliminate. They are the greediest consumers of power, water, and labor and produce the most noise and garbage of any room. Moreover, they can be made totally unnecessary with a few practical life hacks.

mashed fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 12, 2019

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

mashed_penguin posted:

That reminds me of the manifesto the guy that made that food replacement soylent stuff https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/op-ed-how-i-gave-up-alternating-current/
Hey remember the 1950s when engineers posited that in the year 2000 humans would no longer consume meals and just take nutritional tablets every 8 hours? I wonder why that didn't pan out; oh right, autism.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

:thejoke: :thejoke:

:wtc:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1105516973490749440

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

300-400sqft.

Standup shower with toilet

I think windows are unnecessary because now you can just have TV's that mimic the look of windows and good ventilation.

Would be much better to just have plastic removable panels so you can access plumbing and wiring easier.

This dude sounds like he wants to live on a space station. A lovely and cramped space station.

Hell even our first space stations had little viewports.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

OPTIMIZATION COMPLETE

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jet sanchEz posted:

Toronto is short $80 million due to lower than expected revenue from the land transfer tax so they raised the property tax to make up for it.

Good.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

No you see foreign buyers are just a very, very small portion of the market and oh

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

With all these mansions hitting the rental market, now is not the best time to be your average, run of the mill, bought at the top bag holder

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1105668228351647746

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

With all these mansions hitting the rental market, now is not the best time to be your average, run of the mill, bought at the top bag holder

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1105668228351647746

Four
loving
Million?

Does that house stretch back for two blocks or have a cellar full of Hitler's Argentinian Malbecs?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Just had a look on google maps. It's a nice area I guess, but there's nothing particularly special about it. You could probably find the exact same product in East Van for "only" $1.4M.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
God willing 650k before the end of the decade.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

God willing 650k before the end of the decade.

Hell yeah.

Also, negative yield or whatever, $3,600/month is still way the gently caress too much for a three-bedroom with an unfinished basement. Your target for a house like that are basically university students, who are not known to be able to afford $1,200/month for a room in a shared house.

Edit: lol, it's literally right on King Edward, so also getting a ton of traffic noise. I bet they used the real estate listing photos from 2016, too, and that beautifully maintained garden is an overgrown mess by now.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 13, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Can $3600/mo actually cover the mortgage on a typical $4m home? Even setting aside insurance, tax and maintenance?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
No, see, Vancouver's government considers a 3 bedroom rental at ~$3,700 (for west, ~$3,300 East Van) "affordable housing"; so you're actually getting a deal !

(https://www.straight.com/news/1039161/city-vancouver-now-defines-3702-rent-affordable-housing)

Edit:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Edit: lol, it's literally right on King Edward, so also getting a ton of traffic noise.
A few blocks north of King Edward actually, but your other points stand!

rgocs fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 13, 2019

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Heners_UK posted:

Can $3600/mo actually cover the mortgage on a typical $4m home? Even setting aside insurance, tax and maintenance?

Sure, if your down payment was $3.3 million or so.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

If they put 20% down they have a mortgage of 3.2 million. 2016 mortgage rate of 2.69%= monthly payment of only $14,600.00

If they put 80% down (where'd that money come from? downsized to this dump in vancouver from a larger house?), mortgage of 800K . 2016 rate of 2.69% = monthly payment of $3,650.00.

This guy hosed up big time if he isn't just money laundering.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The Butcher posted:

OPTIMIZATION COMPLETE

this is extra appropriate because bender sublet his closet to fry

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Purgatory Glory posted:

if he isn't just money laundering.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

If they put 20% down they have a mortgage of 3.2 million. 2016 mortgage rate of 2.69%= monthly payment of only $14,600.00

If they put 80% down (where'd that money come from? downsized to this dump in vancouver from a larger house?), mortgage of 800K . 2016 rate of 2.69% = monthly payment of $3,650.00.

Yeah, part of me wants to believe that there are actually semi-rich assholes out there who took out mortgages to buy $4M "investment" properties , but money laundering just seems a lot more likely.

I would imagine, though I'm no expert, that if the bubble is mostly due to money laundering, then popping it will have a far less harmful effect on the local economy than a bunch of mortgages going delinquent.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

Edit: double post. Zenforo!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I would imagine, though I'm no expert, that if the bubble is mostly due to money laundering, then popping it will have a far less harmful effect on the local economy than a bunch of mortgages going delinquent.

I think regardless of the reasons it pops, the huge portion of our economy based on real estate such as agents, construction workers, and banking are going to lose many jobs. Not to mention the tax implications of losing that sweet property transfer tax revenue. Crime will then skyrocket so at least we’ll have need for lots of police.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Evis posted:

I think regardless of the reasons it pops, the huge portion of our economy based on real estate such as agents, construction workers, and banking are going to lose many jobs. Not to mention the tax implications of losing that sweet property transfer tax revenue. Crime will then skyrocket so at least we’ll have need for lots of police.

REALTOR(tm)s are going to be hosed for sure, but there is genuinely a population-driven need for new that isn't likely to go away soon.

I mean, we *could* go back to thirty more years of building zero rental units, but I don't think the voting public will actually tolerate that this time around.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Man, I stopped to check out this place from VanReFlipflops on my way home from martial arts class, and all I got was being witness to some Surrey people stabbing each other.

https://twitter.com/VanREflipflops/status/1106379450613026816

:shepface:

Edit: apparently the kid who was stabbed ended up dying. Also a friend of mine from the neighbourhood knew him -- he and his brothers went to the same school as her kids.

:smith:

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 18, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Canadian 2019 federal budget just juiced the condo market a bit, 10% interest-free "first time homebuyer" down payment loan on new construction units, 5% on existing, available only to first time home buyer households with income under 120,000 per year. Also increased the RRSP HBP withdrawal limit to 35,000 per person.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

James Baud posted:

Canadian 2019 federal budget just juiced the condo market a bit, 10% interest-free "first time homebuyer" down payment loan on new construction units, 5% on existing, available only to first time home buyer households with income under 120,000 per year. Also increased the RRSP HBP withdrawal limit to 35,000 per person.

:laffo: Condos are already pretty much out of reach for households meeting those criteria, in Toronto at least.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

Great. The solution is more debt. I should have been a banker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A reminder that the NDP's national housing strategy is basically "more available debt to buyers" and "weak hand jobs to developers"