Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

iytm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does the update fix the scenario on corners where your players leave the opposition completely unmarked at the edge of the 18-yard box, even when you leave someone on "Edge of Area" duty?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I knew when I won manager of the month for January the wheels were coming off my season, as none of my 3 wins were convincing, and needed a fair amount of luck.

Lost 3/3 in February so far. Can't score or even get shots on target. Bottling it big time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I haven't bottled it yet. Went to a super high press and stopped the rot.

That Leeds-Derby game is HUGE.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The top 3 all lost their first fixture.

Norwich were top after the second when Leeds drew.

I hammered Villa on a Friday evening to briefly go top, for the first time all season.

Derby beat Leeds who drop to 4th. Norwich scrape past Rotherham and retake pole position.

This is thrilling. Look at that goal difference.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I finished 3rd on goals scored, and got mauled by Preston in the playoffs.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

What are the good and easy on the eyes skins for FM19?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The ones they bundled with the game that aren’t UKIP are good enough for me tbh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Scoring 3 or 4 a game for months and then overnight my team wouldn't score if we could play all week.

The reputation system that controls basically everything is still the most clumsy, gamey piece of poo poo going. Attributes and style of play doesn't matter as long as you have the right answer to what the AI is going to do.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Anyone else got serious problems with game speed in the match engine? It’s super unsteady for me at times, like the speed of the match slows to a crawl for a second, then speeds up to normal for a few seconds, then back to slow, etc. My machine can run AAA games no problem but apparently something with the graphical fidelity of FIFA 2003 is beyond it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jesus WEP posted:

Anyone else got serious problems with game speed in the match engine? It’s super unsteady for me at times, like the speed of the match slows to a crawl for a second, then speeds up to normal for a few seconds, then back to slow, etc. My machine can run AAA games no problem but apparently something with the graphical fidelity of FIFA 2003 is beyond it

Are you using any of the zoom settings in game? They used to destroy the game speed in the betas.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just had my transfer budget raised from £11m to £42m.

I'm still in the Championship. Game's gone mad.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

sassassin posted:

Just had my transfer budget raised from £11m to £42m.

I'm still in the Championship. Game's gone mad.

Spend it all on a DM to balance it out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Forgot to change my tactic designed to break teams down against a side that didn't see a need to defend against me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Former player scores his first goal for his new club against me on his birthday.

FFS

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
i'm currently on a 14 game winning streak as the manager of hartlepool and Luke James has 14 goals in 16 games.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
all good things have to come to an end.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I dunno if i'm just being dumb but I can't make a diamond work in this game, how many years has it been now where wingers/if's have been the go to?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

eleven extra elephants posted:

I dunno if i'm just being dumb but I can't make a diamond work in this game, how many years has it been now where wingers/if's have been the go to?

You need central players who will run with the ball often to break lines. Otherwise it's really hard to get through teams that want to defend against you. Passing through narrow areas is hard and the little idiots don't do it well.

Championship scheduling is so hosed up in my second season. I'm top with 3 games to go in the final 7 days. Villa are second with only 1 game to go. West Brom third with 5 whole games left to play, including 1 game after my season is finished. They have to play Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun.

They'll win every one, too.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just had pretty much my most successful season in FM18 (I'm generally awful at this game).

I always start unemployed, but got bored with the same teams without managers at the start of the season, so now simulate until near the end of the first season. Took over Norwich who were languishing near the bottom of the Championship. In my first season I guided them to 9th. The second season went much better.

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to take some screenshots at the time because it seems you can't look at historical stats for a league. However, apart from coming 2nd in points and goals scored, we topped the league in fouls and yellow cards.

Things were tight right up until the end, but we unfortunately poo poo the bed against West Brom and then just kinda chilled out for the last couple of games.

At one point it looked like my star player was doomed

But he rallied around and had the season of his career. From the looks of things, he's turning into a bit of a monster in this save.

Although the board didn't agree, I think this was my outstanding piece of transfer business in the season

I didn't get any screens, but a big shout out goes to Morgan Schneiderlin who joined us on loan and racked up one yellow card per two matches.

All of this came down to a brilliant new tactic that I devised. I'd cycled through quite a few formations in my first season with varying results, but when I hit upon this piece of genius things haven't been better:

Turns out I've been overthinking things for way too long.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Accomplishments of my 19/20 season, ranked in order:

3 - Promotion
2 - Making Oli McBurnie so mad he's now classed as an "Adversary".
1 - Paying a £10m tax bill on profit for a year in the Championship. You're welcome, government. £46.5m taxable profit. 17th highest wage bill in the division, 2nd highest points total (West Brom didn't quite win every game in their run in but I bottled it completely).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Took over a Championship team whose alleged best player was a 20 year old loaner from Chelsea (who else?) with a spectacularly bad attitude and who also averaged like a 6.3 over his first six games. Of course I'm not allowed to discipline a loaner player, and my brilliant predecessor agreed to a Loan Cannot Be Terminated clause, so I just shipped him out to the U23 squad and forgot about him.

You'd think in this kind of case calling Sarri up and saying "hey bro, I didn't sign this loan contract and I have no intention of ever playing this guy on my senior squad again, it's your call but you might want to recall him when the window opens" would be an option in this game.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Heh, it's March 2025 and manyoo have just fired Moyes for a second time after his just-under-a-year in charge has left them in the bottom half of the table. wtf, I mean what were they expecting

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sassassin posted:

2 - Making Oli McBurnie so mad he's now classed as an "Adversary".

It took me three tries to not read this name as Oil McBurnie, like he was some kind of children's mascot for the oil industry.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I have an LLM game going in FM12 myself. I got the England Tier 10 mod, was going to pick a club at the bottom before I noticed that the racehorse training mecca of Newmarket had one, starting in the Isthmian Division 1 North (Tier 8). I just started the 2026-27 season having reached the heady heights of League 2 and finally going full professional (my facilities still suck though and I've been in perma-debt). My longtime captain is a DM that I picked up in my first season and threw into the first team right away, and he's still playing reasonably well at this level.

Something even crazier has happened in this run though: Nottingham Forest dropped all the way to Tier 7 and actually went to Semi-pro status for a season or two. They're back in the Conference Regional and professional again now though.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
FM in real life:-

Except I definitely would have lost 1-0 to their 1 shot on target

Stotty fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 16, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

empoli’s manager praises his keeper on the clean sheet and man of the match award, keeper yells at him and requests a transfer

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, I have an idiot wonderkid on my celtic team in 2021-22.

I bought him for 18.25 Million pounds from Anderlecht a year and half ago in game time (I used fake names, so I'm not sure what his real name is).

During last night's sim, he went AWOL from training twice. Unfortunately, a poorly scheduled computer restart meant that three weeks didn't happen (monthly saves).. so when I continued from the last save game today, I was keeping an eye on him.. and yup, he did it again, only worse.

"Frank Van Der Bracht will not be available for selection against Dundee today after he was seen leaving a bar in the early hours of this morning." So the NINETEEN YEAR OLD IDIOT misses a key end-season game after having a few too many at the pub.

And it's not even that he's trying to force a transfer. His temperament is Jovial, however, and in response to the two week fine (which he said to me "Honest, boss won't never happen again"), his Dynamics report is "Feels like he'll be backed by fellow members of his social circle due to his presence within this circle of players.

At this point, I'm just hoping and praying to make back my money (he's currently valued at 12 million with several teams interested)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get that boy in a mentoring group with a bunch of professionals before he dies of liver failure

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, I was going to write "I was half expecting his profile to read "The next Paul Gascoigne"...

Looking at his hidden stats: Ambition 3, Loyalty 7, Professionalism 9

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The rock bottom Ambition is definitely something your scout should have caught before you bought him, but aside from that Jovial is definitely not a good personality for a wonderkid to have. 'Jovial' is a nice way of saying 'doesn't really give a poo poo'.

I'm still on 18 for now, did they fix throw-ins in the match engine in 19? I realize not every throw-in is a smashing success, but when I find myself getting nervous when a highlight begins with my own team throwing in, and hopeful when it begins with the opposing team throwing in, I feel like maybe something just might be amiss.

I don't think it's just my tactics mate because opposing teams throw the ball right to my players just as often as mine throw it to theirs :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
By fixing throwins, do you mean the early days of "throw in = goal" about 99% of the time? Then yes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah, I don't mean the long throw-in thing. I just mean that like 50% or more of throw-ins result in immediate turnovers, like the guy literally just tosses the ball to the feet of his nearest opponent

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah, I don't mean the long throw-in thing. I just mean that like 50% or more of throw-ins result in immediate turnovers, like the guy literally just tosses the ball to the feet of his nearest opponent

No, that still happens. Not every time, but it's pretty regular yet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my throw-in Experience was that a throw ins around the edge of the box almost always led to a goal. Opposition all stood in the box, short throw to unmarked winger who could just waltz on in and have a shot while no-one closed him down. Seems they fixed that though

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
If anyone else hasn't bought a new version in a while, FM2019 is 50% off on Steam until May 7th.

I'm finally upgrading from 2014.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
This thread needs an upgrade it's the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Waroduce posted:

This thread needs an upgrade it's the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen
i think it’s pretty appropriate to just keep reusing the same old thing year after year tbh

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

There was an issue with the default throw-in routines where they didn't include enough (or possibly not any, I've forgotten) people on "Come Short" duty, so the thrower wouldn't have enough options and would basically have to give the ball away.

I edited all my personal tactics to address this so I don't know for sure if the defaults have fixed it in any of the patches, but this might have been what you were seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All I know is that in FM18 you're only allowed to assign a max of 3 players to Come Short and that doesn't really help much, you still end up giving the ball away half the time.

Like I long ago got used to it to the point that I just kind of pretend it's the other team throwing in :shrug: