Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

i own every Bionicle posted:

My knowledge of RV's tells me that they are mostly ridiculously expensive, under-engineered shitheaps that make an 80's Italian car look like a 90's Toyota from a reliability standpoint.

This is absolutely true. My FIL bought a very expensive new 5th wheel tri axle camper when they retired, and are full time RV'ers. They move every 3-4 weeks basically following fair weather cross country in the USA.

Which sounds reasonable but at just over a year in, and 30k miles the suspension on the trailer has already needed a compete rebuild. The interior is built at the quality of an 80's single wide trailer. It looks good in pictures but in reality everything is cheesy and easily damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's my experience as well. My parents are obsessed with RVs. They've had 3 so far. A 32 foot gas one. Then they got a 38 foot diesel pusher. Then a couple years ago they got a Mercedes van conversion. You spend a poo poo ton of money for garbage quality boat appliances. Hope you like terrible marine toilets that don't flush, and lovely faucets that fall apart. Whoever made your RV didn't bother to put padding or insulation anywhere, so everything constantly rattles as you go down the road. Just suck it up, wad up a paper towel and jam it in where you think the sound is coming from. Every childhood vacation I went on is filled with a constant squeaky rattle as we take ages to actually get anywhere on the highway. All because my mom doesn't want to fly. That trip to the grand canyon I mentioned is the last time I will ever spent in an RV, because it's terrible. At some point, the propane valve started leaking meaning we couldn't have any hot water at all for the rest of the trip. Luckily RV parks provide clean showers.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 3, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

i own every Bionicle posted:

My knowledge of RV's tells me that they are mostly ridiculously expensive, under-engineered shitheaps that make an 80's Italian car look like a 90's Toyota from a reliability standpoint. I imagine working on one and start to get nauseous. Seeing six of them destroyed made me very happy. Except for Hammond's because it was just a poor delivery truck that didn't do any harm to anybody :saddowns:

That's being kind to them.

I work in Elkhart County, home to a huge amount of RV manufacturers. I've been in a number of the factories and have seen how they're put together, and the kinds of methheads that put them together. It's terrifying to say the least.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Also the economics of one make zero sense. Any Winnebago is what, at least 110 grand? Can you imagine the number of awesome normal vacations you could take for that amount of money?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Remember when you used to be able to skip the guest segment by advancing 10 minutes?It was over 30 minutes of a weirdly dressed guy I've never heard of.

I enjoyed the car segments a lot, Rory's cardboard spoiler was great, and the Bentley film had it moments, but it just didn't feel well put together overall.

They're trying too hard again.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Cojawfee posted:

Was it actually Mike Skinner? I was hoping they would do more with it. It seemed like he was going to eventually get his revenge for being kicked off the show.

Weren't you watching the episode? He died! There's no way the mysterious person with the distinctive helmet coincidentally only framed from a face obscuring angle is coming back for revenge in another part!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1103414465620574209

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Why would he have to know what the filthy computer touchers do?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

May seemed genuinely moved and awestruck to be driving Armstrong’s corvette on the shuttles runway

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I only watched the part about NASA because the rest of the episode was stupid reviews that I couldn't give a poo poo as an American cause we'll never see those cars, or in my case of the Aston, afford them. At least with supercar reviews you could dream of owning one, but who really dreams of owning an Aston V8?

It felt like another half assed episode. I wish they would stick to the cheap car/gimmick rides. Those were always the best part of TG and the review episodes were always the weakest.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked May nerding out over astronauts. Him getting all excited over something is always fun to watch.

Enjoyed looking at the Aston because it's a dang nice looking car, but Clarkson's... thing seemed kinda pointless. It was just a collection of unfunny gags featuring some Citroen no one cares about.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

DiggityDoink posted:

I only watched the part about NASA because the rest of the episode was stupid reviews that I couldn't give a poo poo as an American cause we'll never see those cars, or in my case of the Aston, afford them. At least with supercar reviews you could dream of owning one, but who really dreams of owning an Aston V8?

It felt like another half assed episode. I wish they would stick to the cheap car/gimmick rides. Those were always the best part of TG and the review episodes were always the weakest.

The NASA bit was the most interesting out of the episode, the aston film was alright but the car review was just a worse version of the one's they have done before on top gear and dare I say it over-scripted and not in a funny way. I honestly don't care about how fast cars can go round a track in either top gear or the grand tour.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That Pantera GTS made my pants tight

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

May seemed genuinely moved and awestruck to be driving Armstrong’s corvette on the shuttles runway

Yep. Plus everyone go see "Apollo 11" while you can it's loving great!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

you guys do know Clarkson is the host and not the contestant, right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yesss that was some good old fashioned Top Gear challenge dicking about.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Basticle posted:

you guys do know Clarkson is the host and not the contestant, right?

The UK version has an ask the host lifeline. Because its Jeremy its pretty much useless

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Yesss that was some good old fashioned Top Gear challenge dicking about.

Yeah that last top gear was a very fun episode.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
It was good to have Rory involved instead of Just Matt and Chris. I always think these films, like the tuk tuk one work better with three of them than just the two.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Rory is great and criminally underutilised, I can't believe they're dumping him next season for a moon-landing denier cricket celebrity, of all things

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Rory is great and criminally underutilised, I can't believe they're dumping him next season for a moon-landing denier cricket celebrity, of all things

All 3 of the current main presenters have great parts about them. Chris' passion for racing and racing machines is undeniable, Matt's love of heavy machinery seems really earnest and fun, and Rory brings a more youthful flavor and style that the show has never had before.

However, their personalities aren't big enough and don't clash enough. None of them feel like they have any conviction. It doesn't feel like they're super involved in the process or have anything to prove in their trio films. It really feels like they're just going through the motions for a lot of it. Rory just gets drowned out, he is the weakest of the 3. At least Matt and Chris have an sibling style "I get to play first" thing going on when they get together.

Top Gear USA had a better trio vibe especially in the later seasons. Each of them had really distinct personalities and played to them hard. As dumb as this cricketer may be, at least he has conviction. Maybe we'll get more entertaining conflict.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Top Gear should import Tanner Foust. Best Motoring (the best car show) has taught me that the more race car drivers you have just driving stuff the more fun it will be.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Tanner driving stuff was my favorite part of top gear us.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tanner vs Chris Harris doing racey stuff all episode long? That sounds amazing.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo, James' unboxing video was a part of a stunt.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mustache Ride posted:

Holy poo poo, James' unboxing video was a part of a stunt.

Glad to be part of the 330

thousand.

Also when James was opening the 80's supercar segment my first thought was the Countach so I was disappointed then soon after quite pleased with myself and Hammond.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Seik posted:

However, their personalities aren't big enough and don't clash enough. None of them feel like they have any conviction. It doesn't feel like they're super involved in the process or have anything to prove in their trio films. It really feels like they're just going through the motions for a lot of it. Rory just gets drowned out, he is the weakest of the 3. At least Matt and Chris have an sibling style "I get to play first" thing going on when they get together.

I disagree, I think they've been improving steadily over the last couple of seasons and were great in the latest episode. The thing about onscreen chemistry of this kind is that it takes time to develop and find its tone. Which you can't do if you're changing presenters every 12 episodes

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

pik_d posted:

Glad to be part of the 330

thousand.

Also when James was opening the 80's supercar segment my first thought was the Countach so I was disappointed then soon after quite pleased with myself and Hammond.

I was complaining to my wife when he called it a V12 and I'm like "I mean technically yeah it's a V but a 180° angle and I wish they called it a flat 12" and then they actually addressed it and I was happy.

And yeah when I saw that James' unboxing video was the stunt I knew he had won because I'd actually watched that one lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think James won because his video was something he'd normally do. Though, Jeremy's policeman thing did get a bunch of pictures on social media.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

I disagree, I think they've been improving steadily over the last couple of seasons and were great in the latest episode. The thing about onscreen chemistry of this kind is that it takes time to develop and find its tone. Which you can't do if you're changing presenters every 12 episodes

I'm just lamenting aimlessly. If you're enjoying it that's all that really matters in the end. It's really not my intent to convince someone to enjoy it less, that sucks. Ultimately it's useless to compare the old vs the new because they'll never be the same. All that being said, I still just can't help but feel it's missing some of the intensity and emotion that the show once had. Doesn't really transport me into the action the same way. I used to cheer the old crew on, and get invested in their cars and their success, but everything feels kind of disposable and unimportant now. It doesn't feel like they love their cars on these challenges anywhere near as much. Maybe that's less an indictment on the new crew as much as a realization that the old crew were exceptional at what they did.

Would you say since the changeover, any of the new episodes would be considered a top gear classic and infinitely re-watchable as so many of the old episodes are? I'm genuinely curious. I can't think of any but I might be missing some stuff. The tuk tuk film was pretty great but still not quite up there at that level for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any offended parties to the latest Grand Tour episode yet? I love outrage.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
anti..... unboxers, maybe????

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nah, because of that segment riffing on millenials.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Seriously? Riffing on millennials has been such a thing for such a long time its lost all meaning and overflowed back around to being funny. Like, we are getting to the point where 'millennials' stops describing people born during a certain era and becomes a description of people of a certain age which completely destroys the meaning being the term. I'm a "millennial' and I found it funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least they didn't start describing Gen Z and then show a bunch of teenagers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm a "millennial' and I found it funny.
Yeah, I don't know. Surfing the Internet, especially the last year or two, I keep seeing groups get upset over the very slightest things, followed by attempts of blowing it out of proportion, and that bit seemed prime for that sort of people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I don't know. Surfing the Internet, especially the last year or two, I keep seeing groups get upset over the very slightest things, followed by attempts of blowing it out of proportion, and that bit seemed prime for that sort of people.

Those are called boomers

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How is "papped" a verb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

How is "papped" a verb

British people are dumb and make dumb shorter versions of words.