Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

If I get a double of a rare relic, should I just combine it with the one I already have, or is there some better use for doubles?

save it - there will soon be a use for extra relics that's more useful than +5 stats in about 2 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LornMarkus posted:

His chain is pretty much the game changer. Ever since I picked that up in JP I've run a Holy Knight Team and crushed everything that doesn't specifically call for other elements or specific realms.

I just got that last night. Other than TG Cid and Beatrix who's good for Knight-ing?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Indecisive posted:

save it - there will soon be a use for extra relics that's more useful than +5 stats in about 2 weeks

Yeah definitely. There is literally no reason to combine relics anymore.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Blockhouse posted:

I just got that last night. Other than TG Cid and Beatrix who's good for Knight-ing?

It's going to be based on your SBs but Marche and Agrias are pretty good.

FFT has a bit of a theme.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also, I got Prompto Chain on the ROP, and immediately converted it into my first sub-30 5* clear:

:hellyeah:

The best part wasn't even the chain, but the fact that I could put a magic breakdown on someone other than Tyro, meaning that Tyro could entrust to Delita and Lightning.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
aranea overstrike

I don't have to be an expert to know this is nothing special

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blockhouse posted:

For Holy, Agrias is built like Beatrix but with a slight lean towards imperilling over DPS, as stated. Marche is good speed tech if you have his USB but has basically no futureproofing; what is out now is what he has available. Warrior of Light and Paladin Cecil are the usual ones who get the New Toys first, though Orlandu tends to get the refined, better versions. They both lead closer to defensive support, too.

If you want an Earth Knight, your best options are Dorgann, Leo, and Ingus, though really any holy knight with a doublecast Knight option (TGC in particular) will do competently. Meliadoul is good if you're in a situation where breaks will help but pretty meh if they won't.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thanks for the tips y'all. I actually do have a Cecil USB so maybe I can do something with this.

Do I just shove Assault Saber on everyone?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Usually, yeah. If you want a Knight to keep some defensive bulk, then you can use Guardbringer (though you have to slap on Divine Cross as well a lot of times for the bonus def to get that fifth hit) or Healing Smite.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you can spare the slot and turn for Divine Cross, or if you can reach the DEF threshold without it, Guardbringer is objectively better than rear end Saber. In fact it's one of the highest potency physical elemental 5* abilities.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Cleared the first two VIII torments last night with Squall/Laguna/Quistis/Raijin/Selphie. I know that this has been asked a zillion times but I didn't fancy trawling through the whole thread and it wasn't in the OP - is there a recommended list for which torment abilities to zero in on first? I made the earth monk skill first, because A) Galuf insisted and I wanted to clear Ixion and B) Earthen Rebuke wasn't out in global yet. I was going to gun for Healing Smite before I managed to get Hades down so that can take a backseat for now.

E: Oh, and uh, Noctis Glint today. That brings me up to his Glint, SSB, AOSB and dbl Combat LMR.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Voltech, Blastspell Strike, and Stormspell Strike are the top three because they all hit multiple elements and have broad usage. From there it's going to depend entirely on what you have a need for, and what you have strong USBs for.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Healing Smite is generally a very good pick just because of how goddamn many Holy Knights there are in the game, particularly clumped up in Tactics. Chances are pretty good that you have something good for at least one of them.

But yeah, go for coverage first, and then go based on what will either increase your power the most, or what will patch the most blatant holes in your teams. Like, if you need to lean on imperils, the 6* offerings are the way to do it, or if you have good Tidus gear (either of his USBs) or Rikku gear (her USB2 or Chain) for it, you'll want the boost from Sapphire Bullet. If you use Alphinaud for Wind Magic, you want Dark Valefor. That sort of thing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
FF Type-0 - Queen BSB, not really necessary when I have her USB already
FFT - Agrias USB2! Neat!
FFXV - Ignis BSB holy poo poo yes yes yesssssssss

In other news, I decided to take a crack at Hades again as it was the last 4* magicite I still had left to clear. Thought Agrias USB2 would help, but still wasn't quite enough. Went back to the original plan, tweaked a little more, and jackpot. Now I've cleared and sub-30'd all the 4*'s.

I don't know if I'm ready to get my rear end kicked by 5*'s yet. Other than Phoenix which I can supposedly do with Kimahri USB + water chain.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Some other folks have already answered, but I'll throw in the specific permutations in my team.

Healer most of the time is Elarra with that crazy USB1, sometimes swapping in Eiko when I need survival instead.
The constant has been Agrais, because I've pulled all her top teir gear, up to and including her Awakening.
Support was originall Marche with his USB, then swapped for awhile to WoL to take advantage of his new USB having Holy Radiant Shield. More recently I pulled Lightning's new Holy USB and have been using that since it's basically Marche's USB+an escalating hit follow-up.
Secondary DPS was Beatrix for awhile, but I'm currently trying to use Celes with her Awakening instead. I will probably switch back though, because her Awakening needs her to keep Magical Blink stacks and I'd have to overhaul the team structures to support that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Got Noctis' AOSB. This will actually be helpful since I'm hurting for XV dps for the Torment clear, though it's a testament to how bad non-elemental damage is that even with his AOSB, OSB, BSB, and SSB, Noctis probably still isn't worth a dive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You can "fake" a chain if you have Ignis BSB? That's how I got my clear. Ignis, Tidus, Bartz, two healers. Kraken as magicite for Imperil.

:tipshat:

No mastery though :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

me irl right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

For people that play JP, what is the current cap on crystal water level for a character? I have a ton of people I want to boost but I don't want to spread myself too thin since there's no way to farm more of it. Also, is there any benefit to maxing out people's non-primary stats? I know you get a little symbol next to a character for having all stats at the cap, but I'm not sure if that ends up meaning anything later.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For people that play JP, what is the current cap on crystal water level for a character? I have a ton of people I want to boost but I don't want to spread myself too thin since there's no way to farm more of it. Also, is there any benefit to maxing out people's non-primary stats? I know you get a little symbol next to a character for having all stats at the cap, but I'm not sure if that ends up meaning anything later.

Cap is still the same as in GL, 30 per stat. AFAIK there isn't any bonus reward for maxing someone its just the stats. Idk the exact amount of possible water, by my estimate atm there's ~600-700 of the HP/def/res waters and maybe 300 of the atk/mag/mnd ones (in JP) so it's still pretty limited. Personally for people that need extra survivability I give them 20 each of HP/def/res, and very few people get the atk/mag/mnd at all, only if I really use them a lot (elarra is a no-brainer for mnd)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Indecisive posted:

Cap is still the same as in GL, 30 per stat. AFAIK there isn't any bonus reward for maxing someone its just the stats. Idk the exact amount of possible water, by my estimate atm there's ~600-700 of the HP/def/res waters and maybe 300 of the atk/mag/mnd ones (in JP) so it's still pretty limited. Personally for people that need extra survivability I give them 20 each of HP/def/res, and very few people get the atk/mag/mnd at all, only if I really use them a lot (elarra is a no-brainer for mnd)

Thanks! I've basically been doing the same, though I've been putting attack / magic water into people that are staples on my magicite / torment clears since I figure those are pretty safe investments unless I pull some absolutely absurd relics for a fringe character.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Edit: actually scratch that, that image is for the elemental weapons which aren't coming yet.

But for legendary weaopns, a reminder: it takes 60 rainbow pieces to max a weapon (level 50), but only 4 to get it halfway (level 25), which is still quite good. The difference between them is ~40 stat points (260 instead of 300) but still a huge upgrade over what we have currently. Don't worry if you can't max everything right away. Also, the first wave of weapons is only optimal under Realm Synergy, I.E. TORMENTS, so don't spend all your weapon tokens on them right away, the future elemental weapons are much more widely usable.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 11, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Elarra havers might benefit from being able to make any kind of legendary staff weapon to get the most out of her Regenga, so that might be a consideration for the first wave. At least it just crossed my mind right now, so maybe.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Elarra havers might benefit from being able to make any kind of legendary staff weapon to get the most out of her Regenga, so that might be a consideration for the first wave. At least it just crossed my mind right now, so maybe.

Except for make it a MND dagger instead of a staff. Stats are the same and it's still useful in a battle where you're using some weirdo white mage who can't use a staff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Glad it worked out!

Now just wait for Syldra. Ignis won't save you there :negative:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Elarra’s Magicka Album is the $5 pay-2-win choice, right?

I may do that simply because I’m so far behind on content and want something to easily catch up.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

IllegallySober posted:

Elarra’s Magicka Album is the $5 pay-2-win choice, right?

I may do that simply because I’m so far behind on content and want something to easily catch up.

lol, yeah. Yeah, it is. It's insanely good

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Is it always there, or does it rotate in and out?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh hey my 600th Papalymo BSB.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Is it always there, or does it rotate in and out?

It's gone on Wednesday.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I finally hit a jackpot on this RoP!

So far:
Type-0
Sice LMR

Tactics
Mustadio LMR

XV
Prompto BSB dupe
Prompto LMR

Pretty bad, Prompto LMR is dualcast at least and then I pull on XIV and I got two discos!

Papalymo AOSB
Papalymo USB

Although it's getting hard to decide on a magic fire team I got so many choices now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Thundercracker posted:

Went ahead and did that, and got Galuf’s earth chain and Locke’s LMR out of the actual draw, so I think that’s a win all-around :)

Edit: the chain is a dupe for me, turns out. Still, worth it.

Referee fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 12, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Got Yshtola's USB and Yda's BSB for today. I remember everyone saying Yshtola's USB sucked rear end but this looks pretty good? Or is the instaheal with bravery her USB2? Either way it'll probably only come in handy for Torments since I've got Elarra's USB, but it's definitely welcome there. Yda's BSB seems alright as BSBs go, but I'll gladly take a strength-based +fire first to go with my magic one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Got Yshtola's USB and Yda's BSB for today. I remember everyone saying Yshtola's USB sucked rear end but this looks pretty good? Or is the instaheal with bravery her USB2? Either way it'll probably only come in handy for Torments since I've got Elarra's USB, but it's definitely welcome there. Yda's BSB seems alright as BSBs go, but I'll gladly take a strength-based +fire first to go with my magic one.

Y'shtola USB1 does not heal

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Today's Luck of the Realms: Thancred USB. This makes him the like second FFXIV character I have anything for.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Y'shtola USB1 does not heal

Haha ok this isn't that one then. That's, uh, something.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Haha ok this isn't that one then. That's, uh, something.

For magic teams it’s arguably better than Elarra USB.

It’s, uh...really good.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

FairGame posted:

For magic teams it’s arguably better than Elarra USB.

It’s, uh...really good.

Yeah, for every bit as terrible as her first USB was, Y'shtola's BUSB is good. It's basically Aerith USB2 for mages, but you have to cast a heal and then use the brave command before you get Last Stand (you also get a decent medica when you use the command though).

I got the nerd's first LMR, with enwind. Not exactly on my top 5 wants from the realm, but it's something useful for a character I use and have invested in so I'm happy.

Unlike yesterday where I got a dupe Prompto LMR.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Alph chain on the RoP. Hot drat.

Decided to take a shot at the weird random Dissidia banner for Ramza's CSB or Yuna's USB/LMR, got excited to see two discos, and... 2x Noctis USB. It's not a dupe at least?
:negative:

Anybody else taking a chance on that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I swear this game has lootseeds or something. In realms where I don't exactly have an overwhelming amount of relics, I'm always getting the same drat dupes.