Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure you could uninstall any app (even those that can't be from the settings menu) using an adb connection. I used it to debloat my Xiaomi tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BoldFace posted:

I'm pretty sure you could uninstall any app (even those that can't be from the settings menu) using an adb connection. I used it to debloat my Xiaomi tablet.

If it's on a read-only system partition, that's not going to work.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Anyone have experience with the kid version of the fire tablets?

I can't look at my phone without my toddler wanting to see it and play around with it, but can't really let him mess with it too much because he might screw with something important, call 911, or whatever. I'd be happy to get him something cheap he can't really hurt, and really I just want something he can just mess around with opening (carefully selected) apps and doodling with. If its going to blast any advertisements at him or expose him to Jake Paul it'd be a hard pass.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Hey folks. For complex reasons not worth going into, I would like a tablet with as good of a *camera* as possible - filming video will be the only thing I will use it for.

At the same time, I'm on a bit of a budget, eg I am fine with there already being a wear and tear on it so long as that camera is fine.

Any recs appreciated!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inverse square posted:

Hey folks. For complex reasons not worth going into, I would like a tablet with as good of a *camera* as possible - filming video will be the only thing I will use it for.

At the same time, I'm on a bit of a budget, eg I am fine with there already being a wear and tear on it so long as that camera is fine.

Any recs appreciated!

I was going to say "used iPad", but apparently shooting 4k video is not something supported on any models as of 2019

:wtc:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Inverse square posted:

Any recs appreciated!

If camera is more important than screen size, a recent flagship plus model phone will have the best camera at a large but not quite tablet display: Pixel 2XL or 3XL, Galaxy S9+ or Note 9, iPhone XS Max. I don't think any tablet camera will come close to any of those, but could be wrong. A used model of those will run something like $400 and up, depending if you're ok with last year's flagship.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

sourdough posted:

If camera is more important than screen size, a recent flagship plus model phone will have the best camera at a large but not quite tablet display: Pixel 2XL or 3XL, Galaxy S9+ or Note 9, iPhone XS Max. I don't think any tablet camera will come close to any of those, but could be wrong. A used model of those will run something like $400 and up, depending if you're ok with last year's flagship.

Yeah, was going to say you could probably get a phone that does it for cheaper:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4K_video_recording_devices#Mobile_devices

Then you could pair with one of those Padcaster style lens/display setups if you wanted to get real fancy:
https://www.padcaster.com

(not necessarily padcaster; I'm sure there's cheaper options but they were top of mind. I guess all those kickstarters worked!)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

EugeneJ posted:

I was going to say "used iPad", but apparently shooting 4k video is not something supported on any models as of 2019

:wtc:

You have to get an iPad pro for 4k video capture. Camera quality is probably on par with an iPhone 7 or 8. Takes you out of 'budget' territory though

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

MrBond posted:

You have to get an iPad pro for 4k video capture. Camera quality is probably on par with an iPhone 7 or 8. Takes you out of 'budget' territory though

Ok then what is the most reasonably priced 4k video capture camera/phone/etc? Used iphone 7?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gallatin posted:

Ok then what is the most reasonably priced 4k video capture camera/phone/etc? Used iphone 7?

used iPhone SE's are around $150 and capture 4K video

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cornuto posted:

Anyone have experience with the kid version of the fire tablets?

I can't look at my phone without my toddler wanting to see it and play around with it, but can't really let him mess with it too much because he might screw with something important, call 911, or whatever. I'd be happy to get him something cheap he can't really hurt, and really I just want something he can just mess around with opening (carefully selected) apps and doodling with. If its going to blast any advertisements at him or expose him to Jake Paul it'd be a hard pass.

This was posted a while ago, but the kid versions are just Kindle Fire's with a great warranty and a good case. The kid-proof part is decent enough, but you'll still want to do some oversight of what the kid is doing. My 4 year old has one and it works well enough especially now that he likes puzzle games.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What would be a good, but not overly expensive, tablet to use for stuff like watching Netflix or playing visual novels on via Steam link while in bed?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Variable_H posted:

What would be a good, but not overly expensive, tablet to use for stuff like watching Netflix or playing visual novels on via Steam link while in bed?

Fire HD 8 with Play Store sideloaded

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m pretty set on an iPad, but I’m not sure which. I want to do normal things, browse the web, watch YouTube, but it would also be cool to record music and draw. Definitely as a hobby, not a pro. I have a MacBook Pro for anything really precise or computery. Would an older 9.7” Pro be all right? What about a fifth or sixth generation?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

I’m pretty set on an iPad, but I’m not sure which. I want to do normal things, browse the web, watch YouTube, but it would also be cool to record music and draw. Definitely as a hobby, not a pro. I have a MacBook Pro for anything really precise or computery. Would an older 9.7” Pro be all right? What about a fifth or sixth generation?

Youd want at least the 2017 pro for drawing - 10.5”. Thats when the pro line started to use 120 hz screens that make drawing feel much more responsive

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Should I get a 16 or 32GB Fire HD 8? Mostly I'll be using it for reading school books since I hate doing it on my monitor, as a CBR reader, and maybe for Kodi when I go out of town.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you can afford 32 GB, I can't see any good reason not to.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The Fire HD 8 has a micro SD slot. If you're using it for storing eBooks and CBR files those will all go on the micro SD card anyway. At a glance it's $60 for the 16gb and $90 for the 32gb right now, seems like a lousy value to me.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

nitsuga posted:

TBH I think 6th gen iPad or any of the mid-size Pros would be fine for you. The 120hz thing is nice but it's probably in the category of 'nice to have' if price is a factor.

the 10.5" 64gb wifi is showing up on sale, and the 6th gen is also going on sale pretty frequently right now.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MrBond posted:

TBH I think 6th gen iPad or any of the mid-size Pros would be fine for you. The 120hz thing is nice but it's probably in the category of 'nice to have' if price is a factor.

the 10.5" 64gb wifi is showing up on sale, and the 6th gen is also going on sale pretty frequently right now.

Yeah, if you saw my drawings, you’d probably agree. I like Basquiat if that’s any indication. Anyway, appreciate the recommendations. I’ll hunt around a bit. I know a new iPad will be coming in the next few months, and I can use my work iPad for now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I get to buy a couple of tablets for my workplace and since my only recent tablet experience is the dirt cheapest Fire I read books on I wasn't entirely sure what the options were anymore.

What's important:
Durability: we want to pack them to events and let people take surveys on them so they could be jostled around quite a bit, and also they aren't going to be replaced for several years so they'll need to have some longevity
Productivity: needs to be able to handle email, word processing, i.e. basic light office work so nothing super intensive but I've tried to work on a tablet before and want something that's not going to lag when I'm trying to type the entire time
Size/weight: for instance if I'm having old people take surveys I don't want the tablet to be so big or heavy it's hard to hold
OS: I'll be the person responsible for setting them up and using them for the most part and I'm most comfortable with either Windows or Android so I don't want to get iPads
Price: I'm not super concerned with cost but am using grant funds so I don't want to look like I'm being extravagant -- having something we can use for several years and not have to replace would be a good reason to spend more up front though

Would something like a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 be what I'm looking for? I'm afraid the Surface Pro would be too large to use in tablet mode if people are going to have to hold them but the functionality as a laptop alternative is appealing, how is the Surface Go on that aspect?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Just get iPads, learn Apple MDM (or just set them up individually, if you're talking about fewer than half a dozen), and put them in otterbox or similar ruggedized cases.

The Surface is overkill for your needs. The lower-end models are slow (and quite a bit more expensive than an iPad), the higher-end models are expensive, and all of them are more complex than you'd want for something to hand off for surveys.

Google has basically abandoned Android as a tablet OS, app developers have largely followed their lead, and there aren't any tablets out there that combine stock-ish Android (so no hacked Fires), decent performance, and a sub-32GB-iPad price. Google is pushing Chrome as a tablet OS now, but it's still half-baked with limited hardware options.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That sucks. I may see about going with some cheaper tablets exclusively for surveys (even a fire would probably be fine just to run a looped survey app) and try to talk them into a new laptop to cover the other part.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 23, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Everything Burrito posted:

That sucks. I may see about going with some cheaper tablets exclusively for surveys (even a fire would probably be fine just to run a looped survey app) and try to talk them into a new laptop to cover the other part.

Don't know if this helps you but one of those survey apps has a little guide for tablets you should use (it's very generic):
https://rollapoll.com/devices.html

I looked at some other ones and even the big shot ones (e.g. quicktapsurvey,surveyapp,popsurvey) basically say "has android/ios, 7" or greater" as the requirements.

I've done some similar stuff in this space and there are purpose built "tough" tablets like Teguar but holy moly $$$. You're better off just otterboxing a retail unit.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

EugeneJ posted:

Fire HD 8 with Play Store sideloaded

Is the Fire HD 10 as good as the 8 only... bigger? I'm in a similar boat to Variable_H, but I'd like the bigger screen size if they're otherwise the same tablet.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've got a 7th gen Fire HD 8 and it's just recently gotten really slow. I pretty much only use it for reading when I'm at work and it takes around a minute for it to even load my library, then another 30s or so to bring up whichever book I'm reading. Is the 8th gen a significant improvement?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Up your budget a bit and get a Snapdragon tablet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is the Fire HD 10 as good as the 8 only... bigger? I'm in a similar boat to Variable_H, but I'd like the bigger screen size if they're otherwise the same tablet.

Fire 10 is still on Lollipop - lots of newer apps won’t work on it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

Google has basically abandoned Android as a tablet OS,

It's fairly likely at this point that they're intending to move to ChromeOS (maybe even a future Fuscia-based iteration of ChromeOS) as their tablet strategy, but are still improving it for tablet use before a full push.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if this helps you but one of those survey apps has a little guide for tablets you should use (it's very generic):
https://rollapoll.com/devices.html

I looked at some other ones and even the big shot ones (e.g. quicktapsurvey,surveyapp,popsurvey) basically say "has android/ios, 7" or greater" as the requirements.

I've done some similar stuff in this space and there are purpose built "tough" tablets like Teguar but holy moly $$$. You're better off just otterboxing a retail unit.

Thanks for this! I'm going to be manually entering a bunch of survey responses from a survey we had people do on paper and thought about testing out how my cheap fire worked with the survey app (just to see how much tablet I need) before I decide further.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Does anyone have any thoughts on the IPad Pro vs the Surface 6 for art? I can see the appeal of the Surface for other uses but i could get a cheap laptop for that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The surface has.. spotty stylus support. There's jitter, they break pretty easily, I hate the sensitivity of it. I had a Surface Pro 4 and I really enjoyed it as a laptop. As a tablet... eh. I think the stylus got better since then though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
As far as I'm aware, the Surface is best in class stylus support in Windows land. I have no idea how it compares to the iPad Pro stylus. I've seen articles about how Microsoft is attempting to further improve the stylus and I know the pressure sensitivity curve is configurable via the Surface app, but I don't have further details as I haven't used a Surface since my SP3.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

isndl posted:

As far as I'm aware, the Surface is best in class stylus support in Windows land. I have no idea how it compares to the iPad Pro stylus. I've seen articles about how Microsoft is attempting to further improve the stylus and I know the pressure sensitivity curve is configurable via the Surface app, but I don't have further details as I haven't used a Surface since my SP3.

Huh, have they caught up to Wacom? That was always the big issue: Wacom held patents on the best Stylus technology and wanted to keep selling drawing tablets for five hundred dollars profit, which is why they split from MS after the SP2 and Microsoft had to buy N-Trig in a hurry and pour huge amounts of money into it in the hope of creating a decent alternative for the wider Windows tablet market. Back in the day it was a noticeable downhill step from the SP2 to the SP3, but MS's investments had N-Trig advancing pretty fast.

Back when the SP3 came out a lot of my graphic design mates were holding onto their SP2s over upgrading for having a a good portable tablet with wacom drawing. I haven't kept up with what's developed since then, though. I know the Apple Pencil blows the Wacom away for sheer responsiveness, especially with the 120Hz models, but I don't know where NTrig stands.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 12, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikeJF posted:

Huh, have they caught up to Wacom? That was always the big issue: Wacom held patents on the best Stylus technology and wanted to keep selling drawing tablets for five hundred dollars profit, which is why they split from MS after the SP2 and Microsoft had to buy N-Trig in a hurry and pour huge amounts of money into it in the hope of creating a decent alternative for the wider Windows tablet market. Back in the day it was a noticeable downhill step from the SP2 to the SP3, but MS's investments had N-Trig advancing pretty fast.

Back when the SP3 came out a lot of my graphic design mates were holding onto their SP2s over upgrading for having a a good portable tablet with wacom drawing. I haven't kept up with what's developed since then, though. I know the Apple Pencil blows the Wacom away for sheer responsiveness, especially with the 120Hz models, but I don't know where NTrig stands.

My understanding of the jump from Wacom to N-Trig was that Wacom also didn't handle the larger size of the SP3 so well, leading to poor precision in the corners. Regardless, N-Trig hardware was fine, simply needing software tuning which they worked on over time. The Penny Arcade artist had some blog posts where he talked about visiting Microsoft to work with them on it.

Drawing isn't one of my interests so I am not especially familiar with newer offerings in the area, but I haven't seen any indications of competition outpacing the Surface either. I know the XPS 2-in-1s could be used as drawing tablets, but it turns out they have a flaw where the glass can depress leading to uneven pressure sensitivity; negligible for note-taking but bad for artwork. In general my impression is that Microsoft is the only Windows device manufacturer catering specifically to artists, most everyone else seems to include stylus support as an add-in to target to business note-taker audience.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The higher specced SP2 was also faster than the SP3, and didn't throttle...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What would a good Android tablet for a car GPS be? Must have GPS (duh), SIM, LTE preferably and not be wider than 220mm or so.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been burned so many times by goddamned google. loving company has ADHD.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bolind posted:

What would a good Android tablet for a car GPS be? Must have GPS (duh), SIM, LTE preferably and not be wider than 220mm or so.

For GPS exclusively ? Are you using some sort of interesting program or just maps/waze?

If it's just Google maps or waze, if you're in America your cell provider should have a free tablet they'll provide you if you activate a line of service with them. Those are almost universally quad-core ARM chips with 1.5-2 gb of RAM. I have an Alcatel a30 that, while it's a piece of poo poo , was good enough for gps- which is what I bought it for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

For GPS exclusively ? Are you using some sort of interesting program or just maps/waze?

If it's just Google maps or waze, if you're in America your cell provider should have a free tablet they'll provide you if you activate a line of service with them. Those are almost universally quad-core ARM chips with 1.5-2 gb of RAM. I have an Alcatel a30 that, while it's a piece of poo poo , was good enough for gps- which is what I bought it for

Just Google Maps, most likely. I'm not in the US, but thanks for the input nonetheless.