Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

Otteration posted:

As much as I love Tolkien, I'm gonna have to say that was then, and this is now.

We're not getting forced along for a ride off the cliff. We are choosing to go along on that ride.

Protest edit: Or not.

I agree with you 100%.

Most days I’m able to compartmentalize, and I’m definitely aware I’m gonna need to get better at controlling my information intake. Was a rough work week that just brought a lot of these issues to heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

1glitch0 posted:

My Sleep Pillow has an F with the Better Business Bureau. lol

I'm kinda shocked that can happen with a business that I'm guessing only deals in pillows. How do you gently caress that one up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the BBB isnt a gov. org.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

bobjr posted:

I'm kinda shocked that can happen with a business that I'm guessing only deals in pillows. How do you gently caress that one up.

You sell two different kinds of pillows, one in stores where customers can see, and one online where they can buy one get one. And then you act reeeeeeeeal vague about the difference between the two.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

bobjr posted:

My mom bought a couple of those pillows and if you can imagine a sack with the texture of walmart toilet paper full of dry cheese curds, that's a MyPillow.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Psychepath posted:

My mom bought a couple of those pillows and if you can imagine a sack with the texture of walmart toilet paper full of dry cheese curds, that's a MyPillow.

That seems not that great.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1105315967721189378

oh gently caress this isn't a good sign

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

gently caress it. Moist Daddy wants a war, he gets a war.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

I read some weird article that was actually an ad for My Sleep Pillow and it was basically just the guy bragging that he used to be addicted to crack before he was selling the pillow. The article felt like an ad enough that the whole thing felt off trying to read it. It just seemed so ridiculous.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Didn't the Venezuelans demand they get out?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

You sell two different kinds of pillows, one in stores where customers can see, and one online where they can buy one get one. And then you act reeeeeeeeal vague about the difference between the two.

I am SHOCKED that a very Christian business would do such things

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
https://twitter.com/MyPillowUSA/status/167315587884785665?s=19

I wonder if still has it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

The BBB is a pre-Internet Yelp-style shakedown racket.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, you increase your rating by giving them money.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

pseudorandom name posted:

It’s really easy to not get a bad grade if you just answer complaints. Doesn’t matter whether you resolve the problem or not, just got to respond.

I have several clients who’d you expect to be solid Fs that have A ratings cause they pay someone minimum wage just to post vague responses

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pseudorandom name posted:

Back in, oh, 2004 or so the BBB got a junk faxer's CEO to write me a letter of apology; he even signed it himself. They even stopped with the 20 pages a day.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EwokEntourage posted:

It’s really easy to not get a bad grade if you just answer complaints. Doesn’t matter whether you resolve the problem or not, just got to respond.

I have several clients who’d you expect to be solid Fs that have A ratings cause they pay someone minimum wage just to post vague responses

The counterpoint is that it's really easy to tank a business's score by filing false or meritless complaints that the business has no real way to respond to. Blizzard had a F rating for a while - they may still - because pissy WOW players complaint-bombed them because they didn't like <thing about WOW>, from "I hate the new Night Elf model" to "Blizzard used to give away free play time for downtime and they don't anymore".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't the Venezuelans demand they get out?

yep (well, the Maduro government did), but the wording in the letter is... not great

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Besesoth posted:

The counterpoint is that it's really easy to tank a business's score by filing false or meritless complaints that the business has no real way to respond to. Blizzard had a F rating for a while - they may still - because pissy WOW players complaint-bombed them because they didn't like <thing about WOW>, from "I hate the new Night Elf model" to "Blizzard used to give away free play time for downtime and they don't anymore".

To be fair, Blizzard is a poo poo company.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yep (well, the Maduro government did), but the wording in the letter is... not great

Doesn't the embassy not have any electricity anymore along with the rest of the city? There's like no way to stay there in humane conditions even if they wanted to continue defying him.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Besesoth posted:

They probably just didn’t respond / have enough people in place to respond. BBB will tell you that they don’t care what the response is (barring you just saying gently caress you to people to something similar). You don’t have to had a valid response to a complaint

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rad Russian posted:

Doesn't the embassy not have any electricity anymore along with the rest of the city? There's like no way to stay there in humane conditions even if they wanted to continue defying him.

That could be a factor. It's less scary than the other factors!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rad Russian posted:

its "the presence of diplomatic staff has become a constraint on U.S. policy" line that is the one you should be terrified of.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

1glitch0 posted:

Pelosi has no power over conviction in the senate. Who cares? Pelosi had time to shame Omar over a tweet saying American politicians are greedy, she has time to impeach Trump. Unless.. and follow me here, she just doesn't want to.

Yeah, we should totally impeach when it’s meaningless without the senate to convict. But hey, it would mean we did something and could high five each other on the moral high ground as Trump cruises to reelection on the backs of a goldfish-attention-spanned-electorate that would only remember “If Trump didn’t get thrown out then he didn’t do anything wrong!”

Of loving course Pelosi doesn’t want to right now. It’s loving useless without the senate. This isn’t complicated. Impeachment doesn’t do poo poo without the senate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, we should totally impeach when it’s meaningless without the senate to convict.

It's not meaningless at all. Impeachment is a fantastic way to tarnish a politician's legacy — especially a President's. Ten years from now people won't remember what Trump did, but they would remember the fact that he got impeached. That alone is huge.

Aside from that, it would send a strong message that committing crimes is not OK. Therefore it also carries the weight of strong principle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

enraged_camel posted:

It's not meaningless at all. Impeachment is a fantastic way to tarnish a politician's legacy — especially a President's. Ten years from now people won't remember what Trump did, but they would remember the fact that he got impeached. That alone is huge.

Aside from that, it would send a strong message that committing crimes is not OK. Therefore it also carries the weight of strong principle.

Won't the lesson actually be there are no consequences because the GOP won't vote to convict?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, we should totally impeach when it’s meaningless without the senate to convict. But hey, it would mean we did something and could high five each other on the moral high ground as Trump cruises to reelection on the backs of a goldfish-attention-spanned-electorate that would only remember “If Trump didn’t get thrown out then he didn’t do anything wrong!”

Of loving course Pelosi doesn’t want to right now. It’s loving useless without the senate. This isn’t complicated. Impeachment doesn’t do poo poo without the senate.

Making Republican Senators accountable for Trump's continued reign of insanity is definitively better than letting them squirm their way back into office in 2020 on the back of statements of disapproval. See also: Flake, Jeff

pseudanonymous posted:

Won't the lesson actually be there are no consequences because the GOP won't vote to convict?

Hmm yes, refusing to bring consequences will make a strong lesson

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Meanwhile in Nebraska

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisDunkerLJS/status/1105148709975789568

https://mobile.twitter.com/allegrakirkland/status/1105145261679149056

A group called Unicorn Riot was able to hack/leak more than 770,000 private messages from discord servers associated with Identity Evropa. It did not take long before identities were found which led to the Nebraska story

It is very likely this will not be the last story to come from the leaks.

Yet Republicans will remain silent when it comes to calling these fuckers out on it. Funny that, it's almost like they don't really care unless it's something they can screw opposing parties with

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

enraged_camel posted:

I would bet that 95% of Americans don't remember that Clinton got impeached, because to them "impeached" means "convicted and removed from office." They also do not see it as a mark on his legacy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

Making Republican Senators accountable for Trump's continued reign of insanity is definitively better than letting them squirm their way back into office in 2020 on the back of statements of disapproval. See also: Flake, Jeff

Hmm yes, refusing to bring consequences will make a strong lesson

I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but having him impeached in the House and exonerated in the Senate isn't much of a consequence to me.

I think Pelosi is doing her political arithmetic and deciding that going through an impeachment won't pay off, politically.

It seems like a lot of posters in the thread feel differently, and think there would be serious consequences for him if they went through with an impeachment.

I think we all want him to face consequences for his treason, and rape, and other crimes, but the realpolitik question comes down to, will impeachment in the house help him or hurt him? And I think there's a strong case to be made that it will actually help him.

The last impeachment attempt was ridiculously partisan and totally inappropriate, and endless investigation into nothing and finally trumped up charges because the president lied about whether he had extra-marital sex. That's how low information voters probably view impeachment now.

Honestly, I still think Pelosi should employ it as a partisan weapon. Impeach him during the 2020 election, and have the hearings throughout the election, and not finish debating the charges until the Senate can't start the trial until after the election.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

bobjr posted:

Because the pillows aren't anything special and the only difference is what they look like before you lay down on them. My great aunt had a few and they felt the exact same as any other pillow, they just looked different sitting on the bed

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I would bet that 95% of Americans don't remember that Clinton got impeached, because to them "impeached" means "convicted and removed from office." They also do not see it as a mark on his legacy.

Yeah. I agree with the dude you quoted in principle, but in reality?

40% of the US dumb enough after three loving years to still support the biggest grifter I’ve ever seen, so my belief in their understanding what impeachment is -let alone actually understanding how it works- is basically nil.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm sure Pelosi also realizes that Trump will become completely intransigent once impeachment proceedings begin, and will more than likely attempt to generate some fake crises in order to distract everyone's attention. So she better have everything in order, such as the debt ceiling, the 2020 budget, etc. before even attempting to head down that path.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/st...genumber%3D1408

Pelosi saying something stupid about impeachment is one thing, but if dems literally do nothing to avoid alienating donorsvoters i'm going to loving give up and go join prester jane advocating for a general strike

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Yeah. I agree with the dude you quoted in principle, but in reality?

40% of the US dumb enough after three loving years to still support the biggest grifter I’ve ever seen, so my belief in their understanding what impeachment is -let alone actually understanding how it works- is basically nil.

Well, only 80% of Americans today were alive during the Clinton era. The ones who were of voting age is an even smaller percentage.

But I disagree. Most people probably remember Clinton’s impeachment, even if they don’t remember its details. “Monica Lewinsky” is still a familiar name to most adults.

Clinton was kind of a bizarre exception though, because a) he was immensely popular and b) his impeachment was totally frivolous.

You can say neither of those things about Trump.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/st...genumber%3D1408

Pelosi saying something stupid about impeachment is one thing, but if dems literally do nothing to avoid alienating donorsvoters i'm going to loving give up and go join prester jane advocating for a general strike

Not passing a budget would be an astoundingly cowardly and lazy thing for them to do with literally zero political upsides, so I imagine this article is full of poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does it even mean if they don’t pass a budget? We just keep doing the government shutdown every few months thing?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

What does it even mean if they don’t pass a budget? We just keep doing the government shutdown every few months thing?

It means nothing, there is no way any budget passed in the House is going to pass the Senate and vice versa. It is essentially just a statement showing what kind of budget the majority of the House can agree on, which then is going to be chopped up into a dozen or so continuing resolutions and minor tweaks and weird pairings until we have the Frankenstein's monster government that most people have spent their entire life experiencing.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

enraged_camel posted:

Well, only 80% of Americans today were alive during the Clinton era. The ones who were of voting age is an even smaller percentage.

But I disagree. Most people probably remember Clinton’s impeachment, even if they don’t remember its details. “Monica Lewinsky” is still a familiar name to most adults.

Clinton was kind of a bizarre exception though, because a) he was immensely popular and b) his impeachment was totally frivolous.

You can say neither of those things about Trump.

if they impeach him they have to acknowledge things that are politically inconvenient and also they won't be able to run against him in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

quote:

the resolution — which is purely a political messaging document and is not signed into law

Whether or not the House passes a budget, nothing they pass has any chance of passing the Senate anyway.