Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

Yeah. It has found music files I guess I transferred over from my iPhone, but it still won't play even those, much less give me streaming options. The settings show me this.

EDIT. Gotta find a photo editing app that will let me shrink a screenshot to post here. But yeah, that app isn't doing much for me.

Just put the regular screenshot in [timg] tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I shattered the back of my pixel XL and want to get a note 9. I can't really wait for the note 10 because phone broke. For people that bought it at launch, how does it hold up now? Is it still a strong device, good battery, feel snappy, etc? I wouldn't even be completely opposed to trading it for the note 10 when that comes out. I'm just worried that going from pure Android to whatever Samsung uses these days is gonna be a culture shock.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

I shattered the back of my pixel XL and want to get a note 9. I can't really wait for the note 10 because phone broke. For people that bought it at launch, how does it hold up now? Is it still a strong device, good battery, feel snappy, etc? I wouldn't even be completely opposed to trading it for the note 10 when that comes out. I'm just worried that going from pure Android to whatever Samsung uses these days is gonna be a culture shock.

It'll be a serviceable phone for like the next 3 or 4 years, excluding any update business. Samsung just makes the UI more bubbly. It's different, but nothing crazy.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

It was good at launch and it's even better now with One UI. The battery life is fantastic, the camera is pretty good (not as good as Pixel 3) and surprisingly both the camera software and software in general is significantly more stable and speedy than the Pixel 3 which is still a loving mess with the Match 2019 security update based on several prominent Android tech news blogger types.

If you aren't gonna use the pen just get an S10+ though

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cage-free egghead posted:

Samsung just makes the UI more bubbly. It's different, but nothing crazy.

So far One UI is waaay better than TouchWiz. Or at least Note 8 era TouchWiz (my last experience). Finally not a downgrade from stock.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pixel 3 is having a remarkably bad time with memory bugs. It's enough, Google just sucks rear end at this.

Is Samsung any better with RAM management? Only flagship Samsung phone I've had is the Galaxy S7, which didn't have great RAM management out of the box but a few software updates improved that dramatically.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Samsung any better with RAM management? Only flagship Samsung phone I've had is the Galaxy S7, which didn't have great RAM management out of the box but a few software updates improved that dramatically.

It seems to be now. S7 as you mentioned was pretty bad out of the box but with S9 and on it's been much better. My work provides me with each of their major phones to use and I haven't had any odd RAM management recently. Bear in mind the Note 9, S9+ and S10E also have 6GB and the S10/10+ have 8GB which could be the reason why as well.

The Pixel 3 isn't necessarily bad with RAM management, it might just simply not have enough of it.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So pulled the trigger on a white p3xl. Anyone recommend a glass screen protector which isn't poo poo?

Also on a side note I've been running my oh pixel XL causeless for about 2 months now and really got used to having a phone as the designers intended. No scratches or scrapes yet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Nairbo posted:

It seems to be now. S7 as you mentioned was pretty bad out of the box but with S9 and on it's been much better. My work provides me with each of their major phones to use and I haven't had any odd RAM management recently. Bear in mind the Note 9, S9+ and S10E also have 6GB and the S10/10+ have 8GB which could be the reason why as well.

The Pixel 3 isn't necessarily bad with RAM management, it might just simply not have enough of it.

I checked RAM management in Developer Options and there's a gigabyte of RAM unused and it's still throwing things out of memory. Bad Google.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Nairbo posted:

It was good at launch and it's even better now with One UI. The battery life is fantastic, the camera is pretty good (not as good as Pixel 3) and surprisingly both the camera software and software in general is significantly more stable and speedy than the Pixel 3 which is still a loving mess with the Match 2019 security update based on several prominent Android tech news blogger types.

If you aren't gonna use the pen just get an S10+ though

Yeah I'm definitely gonna use the pen. I used it all the time on my old note 4.

Now it's time to talk my fiancee into the expense! Whee!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nairbo posted:

No, there is enough of it. The Pixel 3 is atrocious at RAM management.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

S10+ is a hell of a phone (upgraded from an S7E). I'm using the Google Now launcher already because the Samsung poo poo was just too busy imo. Also went back to SwiftKey after a day of trying the Samsung keyboard. I'm not crazy about some of the pictures I've taken, the wide angle lens is real cool but the post processing is meh and there's not much of a nightsight feature at all. I installed the GCam APK that's floating around and it's kind of night and day. I think I'll still use the stock camera app for most things since GCam doesn't use the telephoto or wide lenses (yet?) but that nightsight mode is just too loving good.

This was taken using night sight on GCam in a room basically only lit by the TV.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've noticed my S10+ tossing things out of memory too. I think it is just aggressive battery saving in Android 9. Samsung gives you the option to turn off the battery saving stuff and I'm sure it would help if I did that. The really odd thing is that I didn't notice any issues with my old S9 with Android 9, and that phone only had 4GB of RAM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

zimbomonkey posted:

Yeah I'm definitely gonna use the pen. I used it all the time on my old note 4.

Now it's time to talk my fiancee into the expense! Whee!

Mint Condition ones are going for around $600 on Swappa.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

explosivo posted:

S10+ is a hell of a phone (upgraded from an S7E). I'm using the Google Now launcher already because the Samsung poo poo was just too busy imo. Also went back to SwiftKey after a day of trying the Samsung keyboard. I'm not crazy about some of the pictures I've taken, the wide angle lens is real cool but the post processing is meh and there's not much of a nightsight feature at all. I installed the GCam APK that's floating around and it's kind of night and day. I think I'll still use the stock camera app for most things since GCam doesn't use the telephoto or wide lenses (yet?) but that nightsight mode is just too loving good.

This was taken using night sight on GCam in a room basically only lit by the TV.

I've tried using GCam on my AT&T S9+ but it just crashes. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Thank you Google.

I really appreciate the one-month trial run where you allowed YOUR OWN PODCASTS app to work on Android Auto.

Hope it returns sometime!

It came back for me today.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There's an option on the samsung ui to lock an app, which I'm assuming prevents it from being refreshed or thrown out of memory.

My biggest complaint is how many things are buried under sub sub menus. There's 2 different adaptive power settings, one of which you'd want on by default, ships with it toggled off. All the "smart" gestures ship toggled on though, which I'm pretty sure is the reverse of the last few phones.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Google can either improve the ram management or add more ram, google wants to go the former route because :software: and samsung makes it themselves so it's cheaper to add more versus trying to optimize their software on top of the twelve AR emojis they are furiously working on

my note 9 has much better ram management than my p2xl but it's definitely still inefficient, things are thrown away when there's a good amount of ram left. it's still pretty poo poo compared to apple devices which run around with 4gb or less and will keep Everything Open Forever

zer0spunk posted:

There's an option on the samsung ui to lock an app, which I'm assuming prevents it from being refreshed or thrown out of memory.

My biggest complaint is how many things are buried under sub sub menus. There's 2 different adaptive power settings, one of which you'd want on by default, ships with it toggled off. All the "smart" gestures ship toggled on though, which I'm pretty sure is the reverse of the last few phones.

from what I gathered it prevents you from swiping it away / the process getting killed when you go to recent apps > close all, but the app itself can still close if it gets nudged out of memory

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I will say, if anyone cares, that the Key2 has seemingly perfect RAM management so far, and I've had zero Bluetooth problems which is a dang first

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
2018: just lol if you think you need more than 4gb ram

2019: dammit Google why didn't you put more ram in

mystes
May 31, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

2018: just lol if you think you need more than 4gb ram

2019: dammit Google why didn't you put more ram in
4gb of RAM ought to be enough for any Android phone
--Bill Gates, probably

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have 3. It works fine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

4gb is plenty. A lot of it is unused on the Pixel 3 actually, I have apps getting kicked out when i have 1.2gb free. What's poo poo and stupid, is how poorly Google manages memory in Android.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

4gb is plenty. A lot of it is unused on the Pixel 3 actually, I have apps getting kicked out when i have 1.2gb free. What's poo poo and stupid, is how poorly Google manages memory in Android.

I have music players getting killed on occasion by memory management when I have them open and then shut off the screen with the button immediately.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

logikv9 posted:

my note 9 has much better ram management than my p2xl but it's definitely still inefficient, things are thrown away when there's a good amount of ram left. it's still pretty poo poo compared to apple devices which run around with 4gb or less and will keep Everything Open Forever

When was the last time you used an iPhone? My 7 Plus hasn't been able to keep stuff in memory reliably since iOS 10, especially if I dare to use a mapping app (Apple, Google or Waze doesn't make any difference)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nevermind

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

My Samsung S9 does this poo poo too where it'll boot apps before ram runs out, and too quickly as well. I'm still on Oreo, too, no One UI here.

Since I play a lot of DS emulator games it kind of sucks turning off the screen while I get off a train to transfer to another train to work, only to find out the emulator's been kicked from memory and I've lost my progress.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Those few of you with an Essential PH-1 do note that Amazon has the 360 camera on sale for $30 right now.

Shame we never got the mic jack. I did however have a good experience doing a warranty swap a couple months ago and got one of the last glacier white models from warehouse. Two days later all online stocks dried up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For people who now have phones without a headphone jack, did your phone come with one of those adapters that plugs into the USB port? And does that handle input and output (can you use a headset with that)?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Pixel 2 came with one. Works fine with in line controls. It's been finicky, especially when I first got it, as to whether it would actually work in the first place.

My biggest issue is the length and bulk of the connector being annoying in my pocket.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For people who now have phones without a headphone jack, did your phone come with one of those adapters that plugs into the USB port? And does that handle input and output (can you use a headset with that)?

My Pixel 3 XL came with one (and also a OTG USB adapter). Both work as input and output, but TBH I haven't really used either extensively because my Airpods work great with it :v:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
3 years after they introduced it, I finally got my first RCS message.

I don't know what magical snowflake combination of carrier and hardware the other person had to trigger it but it was kind of nice seeing the 3 dots and read receipts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

OK I have maybe a silly question. I tried reading the Wikipedia article and I'm not smart enough to understand it. It says pOLED which means polymer OLED, right? To adjust the brightness of the screen, what method does it use? Is it PWM?

I have a Samsung tablet that someone gave me and it's Super AMOLED and I hate the way the backlight flickers. I've seen the same effect with the latest iPhones and other Samsung devices (not to mention cars, etc).

I'm thinking if I'm interested in this phone, it probably will only be available online, so I can't see ahead if it will be noticeable to me.

Unfortunately the Nokia 9 screen flickers too. :( It's not as bad as Samsungs but yeah I probably will return it. I will get doggy pics tomorrow before I do, though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

dissss posted:

When was the last time you used an iPhone? My 7 Plus hasn't been able to keep stuff in memory reliably since iOS 10, especially if I dare to use a mapping app (Apple, Google or Waze doesn't make any difference)

I have an iPad pro and it keeps poo poo in memory seemingly forever. Actually on occasion it refuses to kick out an app entirely, even after I swipe it away in multitasking. Truly an overachiever

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My OnePlus 6T came with one and it supports input/output.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gotta say I still don't like the camera on Samsung phones and it doesn't seem any closer to Pixel quality than previous generations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Gotta say I still don't like the camera on Samsung phones and it doesn't seem any closer to Pixel quality than previous generations.

Pretty much all the reviews have said as much too. The telephoto and wide angle cameras may allow you to capture shots that you couldn't get on the Pixel and that does count, but the actual photos themselves fall short all other things being equal. Samsung also doesn't have anywhere near the low light chops.

It's annoying that there's no perfect package out there even as the devices cross the $1k threshold.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just scored a $240 LG V35. Hope these hold up better than the ol bootloop machines.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm actually quite tempted to flip my 50% off 6T into a heavily discounted S10+, but everything is out of stock until April and I doubt T-Mobile will keep the deal that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have tmobile you are better to wait for a BOGO costco offer.