Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CJacobs posted:

Using generic assault rifles and pistols is the greatest sin these dumb rear end Doom movies make besides there being 99 basic zombiemen with no guns and then maybe 1 pinkie if the budget allows

edit: Woah, the BFG is in this Doom movie?!?! No fuckin way!!! I can't wait until they fire it 1 time in the third act to kill maybe 10 zombies or one powerful guy!!!

That's better than the first Doom movie where it managed to be fired twice and achieve nothing both times.

Edit: seriously the greatest sin of the original Doom movie is just how boring it is. It's dark (just like doom 3 lolol) so you don't get to see anything, very little action, only a couple actual scares, the BFG gets fired exclusively into walls and the first person scene, no matter what anyone tells you, is an extremely bland and unimpressive gimmick.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The special effects are going to have exactly the same quality as this emoticon

:hellyeah:

And they definitely will say some variant of HELL YEAH when they fire it, or smugly smirk at the camera or each other after.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1105158738787262466
Huh.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZbmH1c9i9k

I dunno man, there's too much poo poo flying at the screen, your basically blinded by the combination of the muzzle flash and blood shooting out everywhere, not to mention all the other effects. It makes me feel like I need to clean my glasses.

The trailer isn't really selling me on the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kamrat posted:

I dunno man, there's too much poo poo flying at the screen, your basically blinded by the combination of the muzzle flash and blood shooting out everywhere, not to mention all the other effects. It makes me feel like I need to clean my glasses.

It looks like a bad Robot Chicken parody of Doom.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, I guess the stuff they've been working on so far is more proof of concept. They're in a better place than most video game kickstarters are, they have stuff to actually show off instead of just concepts and art. Maybe they'll even have a teaser demo or something by the midway point since it seems like they have an actual playable game on their hands.

edit: I still maintain that it looks better with the 'modern' fully animated models instead of the Into The Spider-Verse style low-fps-in-high-fps-video versions.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is, truly, the finest post not just in this thread, but the forums entirely.

What would it be called?

The Everlasting Rip and Tear?
Archvile of Dogs

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kamrat posted:

No, that's been my complaint since the very beginning, that they'd be better served ditching the filters and pixelization and just saying "hey we're making an indie Doom '16/Brutal Doom." Hopefully there'll be an option to turn it all off. I just kind of didn't expect them to launch a kickstarter, curious to see how it'll do.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToxicFrog posted:

To this day I have no idea what that gun is meant to be or how it's meant to work, but it's fun as hell.

I first discovered it when I learned that LAPOSTAL in the demo gives you all the guns from the full version. Highly recommended.
Most of the enemies from the full version are hidden in the caves around the level that you can only open up with the thermal detonator too.

There's a reason the Dark Forces single level demo is bigger than the entire Doom shareware episode.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a Dark Forces single level demo?! I only ever knew about the big 3 level one that I got in Lucasarts Archives Vol. 2 Is it a map from the full game?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah wow that trailer makes that game look like total dogshit what the hell?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

They've been posting stuff on Prodeus in game dev circles for years and every time people tell them to chill it with the filters and the UI is obnoxious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Casimir Radon posted:

There's a Dark Forces single level demo?! I only ever knew about the big 3 level one that I got in Lucasarts Archives Vol. 2 Is it a map from the full game?

My memory says there was, on Mac at least. It was the first level (steal the death star plans) only.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Prodeus devs know about the complaints about the visuals. They've been posting stuff to twitter like being able to turn off the filters and make the game run smooth. They're probably better off pulling that old trailer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

haveblue posted:

My memory says there was, on Mac at least. It was the first level (steal the death star plans) only.

On PC, too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anyone know if there's any easy way to replace the Pfhor textures in Marathon 2 with those from Infinity? I poked around simplici7y a bit and only found a mod which adds Infinity style detailing to the primary color vomit textures from M2 which is like, the antithesis of what I want.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Casimir Radon posted:

It was just a slightly unfinished version of the first level. Can't remember if there were any particularly interesting differences.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got around to reinstalling gzDoom on the laptop and firing up DRLA and...something is super hosed up with the controls. It works fine except that sometimes it randomly spins around and looks straight down, as if the mouse was being instantly yanked towards one of the bottom corners of the screen. It's not a problem with the mouse itself, though, because this doesn't happen on the desktop or in other games -- only in gzDoom.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Plan Z posted:

The Prodeus devs know about the complaints about the visuals. They've been posting stuff to twitter like being able to turn off the filters and make the game run smooth. They're probably better off pulling that old trailer.

Oh good. I might pick it up on sale then, it looks like it could be a pretty fun little Doom '16-alike but, yeah.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Finally got around to reinstalling gzDoom on the laptop and firing up DRLA and...something is super hosed up with the controls. It works fine except that sometimes it randomly spins around and looks straight down, as if the mouse was being instantly yanked towards one of the bottom corners of the screen. It's not a problem with the mouse itself, though, because this doesn't happen on the desktop or in other games -- only in gzDoom.

Are you brushing a trackpad while you play, maybe?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been recovering from a fever and i had a very bizarre dream last night that i had somehow replaced ron in harry potter with an archvile

because it was a very strange feverish dream i have no idea how i accomplished this edit to reality, but he did burn a lot of the other characters

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1105216174973960192

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

catlord posted:

Oh good. I might pick it up on sale then, it looks like it could be a pretty fun little Doom '16-alike but, yeah.

Found one of the tweets I posted before:

https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1072250214835195904

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

It's Universal 1440, their direct-to-video line that usually hurls out innumerable sequels to Tremors, The Scorpion King and Death Race.

I was at a store the other day and saw a Blu-Ray for Tremors 6: A Cold Day in Hell, still starring Michael Gross. I had no idea they were still making them.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

haveblue posted:

The best video game movie is actually Edge of Tomorrow.

No it's Hardcore Henry.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Best videogame movie is Postal :shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

Best videogame movie is Postal :shepface:

It definitely is the movie with the most Dave Foley penis.

I think.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when they say “direct-to-video” do they mean “on streaming services” or are they actually sending this out to rot on store shelves in the year 2019 lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

It just looks stupid when he shoots a demon with a dinky pistol and more blood come exploding out of its body than it should have in its entire body every time a bullet lands

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Augus posted:

when they say “direct-to-video” do they mean “on streaming services” or are they actually sending this out to rot on store shelves in the year 2019 lol
VHS, hopefully. The superior format.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It actually wouldn’t shock me if there are custom 3DFX drivers out there that allow the cards to run in Windows 10.

With that said even Voodoo5 series cards are what, 20 years old now? I can’t imagine they are in that great shape even to run a 2019 Quake 1 engine shooter.
I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

I do miss the 1999 era arguments if voodoo3 or TNT2 was superior. I was in the TNT camp but looking back I wish I had a 3DFX during the “glory” days.

Well made solid state hardware has a very long shelf life

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

VHS, hopefully. The superior format.

Young people... Beta was the superior format, actually!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Augus posted:

They also get put on DVD / Blu-Ray for outlets like Walmart or to put in redbox machines. After all, there's a lot of people who still just watch stuff off disc on the DVD or Blu-Ray player they got 9 years ago and never upgraded.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is neither here nor there, but it sucks that aside from maybe a youtube video, there are no behind-the-scenes extra stuff for anything on Netflix, especially their originals. Also, when the hell are they going to allow commentary streams on there? :argh:

Anyway, I don't care about either of those features for Doom, 2005 or otherwise :colbert:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

Are you brushing a trackpad while you play, maybe?

Nope. This machine has a trackpad, but it's definitely not being touched.

My best guess is a bad interaction between how gzdoom handles mouse input and how KDEWayland handles mouse locking; I had (different) issues in 3.2 related to that, but it's been a while and I suspect one or both have changed their mouse handling code in a way that produces a new and even more annoying bug.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In older-than-you'd-like-to-admit FPS news, Halo: The Master Chief Collection has just been announced for PC, both on Microsoft Store and Steam. Ruffian Games and Splash Damage are taking charge on the port. Each game will roll out over time rather than getting dumped out at once. Halo Reach will be the first release, which will also be coming to the Xbox One version. More info at SXSW.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I get to play Halo Reach with mouse and keyboard? On my COMPUTER?? Sold.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Might pick that up, or at least Reach and ODST. I enjoyed fighting the Covenant in 1.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Releasing the Halo games in series chronology order? Bold move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Steam store page is up. I think the Microsoft Store will just be using the Xbox version's page? Not sure.