Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You must let go of loot and gear and even your robot suit. Then will you truly be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think mass effect would have been better off with no reapers at all, or maybe just an ominous presence of them always just out of your field of view. Should have been about being a specter, doing specter poo poo, and then the reaper / progenitors or whatever could be contained to a side story that has a thread throughout the whole series and intersects with the main story in weird ways.

Like nobody believes in them but you have some kinda proof and a ton of free range to do whatever you please so you can just follow that weird trail and put together the pieces yourself, or not.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If you romance Cancerous Ordo he tells you a story about encountering a reaper in the Outer Rim, I always thought that was a cool little teaser

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crabtree posted:

You must let go of loot and gear and even your robot suit. Then will you truly be free.

"Where we're going, we won't need Javelins."

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The non-answer about loot in that patch notes post is absolute lol

“We have no idea why loot is so poo poo in our own game”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I get it’s all math and poo poo and is very complex but holy gently caress this is dire

Boring rear end open world and boring rear end story missions with boring rear end objectives and boring strongholds

And there isn’t even decent loot

And all the weapons look the same

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I think mass effect would have been better off with no reapers at all, or maybe just an ominous presence of them always just out of your field of view. Should have been about being a specter, doing specter poo poo, and then the reaper / progenitors or whatever could be contained to a side story that has a thread throughout the whole series and intersects with the main story in weird ways.

Like nobody believes in them but you have some kinda proof and a ton of free range to do whatever you please so you can just follow that weird trail and put together the pieces yourself, or not.

The need for a huge world/galaxy/metaverse scale plot is always super dumb.

I'll actually give Anthem credit for avoiding the Monomyth regurgitation, at least for what I can remember of the plot.

If there is an Anthem 2 the plot should be you're a Freelancer trying to work on Freelancer poo poo like dealing with artifacts and nasties and strictly neutral in politics. No big Empire baddies. No glorious beacon of Freedumb struggling to fight against them. Just your pack of mercenaries trying to keep people from getting murdered by the world and desperately trying not to get dragged into the dumb internecine political poo poo.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

There aren’t even armour set pieces to play for in this game

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It’s all being held back because they want to microtransaction so drat hard but they know the backlash would be even worse than what is currently going on

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

It’s all being held back because they want to microtransaction so drat hard but they know the backlash would be even worse than what is currently going on

It's even worse than that. They held it all back because their in-game store rotates a limited stock to encourage players to log in periodically and check out what's new.

A wildly optimistic design choice, considering the game's current prospects.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Xae posted:

The need for a huge world/galaxy/metaverse scale plot is always super dumb.

I'll actually give Anthem credit for avoiding the Monomyth regurgitation, at least for what I can remember of the plot.

If there is an Anthem 2 the plot should be you're a Freelancer trying to work on Freelancer poo poo like dealing with artifacts and nasties and strictly neutral in politics. No big Empire baddies. No glorious beacon of Freedumb struggling to fight against them. Just your pack of mercenaries trying to keep people from getting murdered by the world and desperately trying not to get dragged into the dumb internecine political poo poo.

anthem is completely fully into hero's journey mode, it's just not MEGA SPACE JESUS about it. Or it sort of is with the holy shrines and poo poo but the story is coherent enough with the setting that it's not that bad. Maybe if they were able to produce the TRUE VISION it would be way worse. The story we got is abridged enough that a lot of the journey stages are smoothed over.

I agree with what you're saying anthem 2. It won't really be like that tho because there's some problems with the setting and also if they do anthem two something dumb as gently caress will happen.

I mean you operate under the auspices of some kind of country that has an emperor, and the dominion is a x-treemly evil nation set against you. They're very tyrannical unlike our big strong emperor who invented the first javelin and saved humans in the primordial era and now the descendants benevolently rule, except for the dominion, who is fully evil, refuses this rule. Disregard that at least part of this empire is a doom zone where rampant outlaws and bandits regularly rob caravans and poo poo, yet the emperor can't or won't do anything to help the people. And apparently the emperor allowed a major city to be destroyed by a dominion army that just marched their asses in without anyone realizing, not even Corvus the shadowy spy network that serves only the crown.

so they could just not look too closely at what's going on and make a good game with an alright story, or they could fix it up pretty well, or they could just gently caress it up completely like ME. Most likely they'll not be doing A2 unless poo poo changes p radically.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

doingitwrong posted:

I don’t think I made those kinds of stupid decisions, but Andromeda was definitely my moment of BioWare Cognitive Dissonance. I defended the game a bunch in that thread. I was excited about starting fresh in a new galaxy and probably posted a lot about looking forward to sequels. I’ve also never bothered to finish the game. I didn’t even bother with the Anthem demo and it’ll take a lot to get me to try Dragon Age: the Next One.

It’s hard to let go of a #brand that offered me so many formative gaming experiences. Sad times.

I hit that wall when they released SWTOR and the light/dark side classes were literally reskins of each other, like literally a pallette swap, change the particle effects from lightning to idk wind and rocks, etc.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Crabtree posted:

Laugh all you want. Vow of Poverty was loving OP as hell.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
lmao they actually released a game that is dangerously close to “the key to winning is not playing”

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hawgh posted:

Beat final boss. Game crashed during the post-fight cutscene. I get to start over, because rejoining a mission-in-progress would just be pointless frivolity, I guess. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

This is what finally got us to bounce off the game, hit a major story cutscene and half our group crashed. We all were just like "welp, see you at the Division!"

I'd be happy to come back at some point if they get this poo poo playable because I legit enjoy playing it, but not enough to muddle through bugs and crashes.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Anthem loving sucks rear end lmao

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just want to know two things:

How did they gently caress up itemization and power scaling in a loot game this badly?

And:

Why?

Just why??

--------

Like, any mildly competent person could write up a scaling formula to account for level/item level vs enemy stats. This is basic poo poo. It's insane like.. How do you even start working on things when this crucial system doesn't work for you? It hurts my brain.

Off to Division 2 I go!

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 12, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Remember when GM3 was going to be 3000% scaling or some crazy poo poo?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

I just want to know two things:

How did they gently caress up itemization and power scaling in a loot game this badly?

And:

Why?

Just why??

--------

Like, any mildly competent person could write up a scaling formula to account for level/item level vs enemy stats. This is basic poo poo. It's insane like.. How do you even start working on things when this crucial system doesn't work for you? It hurts my brain.

Off to Division 2 I go!

Because this wasn't meant to be a loot game. It was meant to be about exploring a dynamic and dangerous world with friends. Loot and progression is for nerds. Sadly the stupid grunt developers couldn't make the whole dynamic world thing work, so they had to put a loot system in place at the last moment.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
legendary contracts loving suck, today I do the first one I ever had where there was another person in it, they run into a hail of gunfire during the first encounter and then die and quit. Solo tho whole first part, solo a pair of "elite lesser ash titans," get down to a fuckin "guard a dead guy while his link uploads" with wave after wave of scar, and I can't fuckin beat it. Every time I get green on the upload 4 yellow enforcers and 4 hunters come out, I have to back off, fight them and back and forth.

Finally get it uploaded I just have to take out the final scar, I get too greedy and overextend and die. It reloads me at the end of the previous encounter and gently caress this I just shut the goddamn thing off. I feel like i'm more pissed at that guy who quit the second he died than the lovely fuckin garbage contract

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fuckin trash, the single best rewards I got were from legendary contracts too. One dude. I saw one other dude in a legendary contract. Ever.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

PederP posted:

Because this wasn't meant to be a loot game. It was meant to be about exploring a dynamic and dangerous world with friends. Loot and progression is for nerds. Sadly the stupid grunt developers couldn't make the whole dynamic world thing work, so they had to put a loot system in place at the last moment.

Ok but ... A scaling loot formula can be written up in 3 minutes? And not be bonkers broken like whatever insanity they went with.

Pilot level = Normal Enemy level = White item level

Higher grade items = + value to base item level eg + 5 or whatever for each rarity tier

Item level = multiplier on base item stats, higher ilevel = higher item numbers wow!!

Or

Total item level of suit = multiplier for your damage, hp, etc so higher total ilevel = higher numbers that scale with overall character 'power'

Difficulty= multiplier on enemy base stats that are scaling with your pilot level

This is absolutely basic and they hosed it up. This is without even adding things like bonuses and rng rolls (which they also suck at).

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 12, 2019

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

DarkDobe posted:

Ok but ... A scaling loot formula can be written up in 3 minutes? And not be bonkers broken like whatever insanity they went with.

Pilot level = Normal Enemy level = White item level

Higher grade items = + value to base item level eg + 5 or whatever for each rarity tier

Item level = multiplier on base item stats, higher ilevel = higher item numbers wow!!

Or

Total item level of suit = multiplier for your damage, hp, etc so higher total ilevel = higher numbers that scale with overall character 'power'

Difficulty= multiplier on enemy base stats that are scaling with your pilot level

This is absolutely basic and they hosed it up. This is without even adding things like bonuses and rng rolls (which they also suck at).

Explanation A: There was already so much technical dept form systems designed of a single player experience that everything broke when they tried to retool it for multiplayer, there was no time to fix anything so they gave up and shoved it out the door, which is also why the loot drops keep breaking every time they try to patch even the smallest thing.

Explanation B: The same people who though Mass Effect 3's ending was a good idea honestly thought the current scaling system was a good idea

Explanation C: This game was programed by people with giant slabs of ham where their hands should be.

I'm also open to the possibility that it's some combination of the three.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The damage scaling is known to be exponential to ilvl with base 1.071, all damage modifiers on gear/buffs are additive, and non-weapon damage is based on the average ilvl of all your items. It's nothing especially crazy, it's just the fact that the modifiers are additive makes upgrades boring after the first few items and the vast majority of loot is poorly itemized. So we have the current state of the game where items rarely drop, if they do drop there's only a small chance of an upgrade, and even an upgrade is not likely to move your numbers very much.

If they really did plan on making GM3 3000% or whatever then clearly the original plan was to have multiplicative modifiers which probably would have felt better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorpal Cat posted:

Explanation A: There was already so much technical dept form systems designed of a single player experience that everything broke when they tried to retool it for multiplayer, there was no time to fix anything so they gave up and shoved it out the door, which is also why the loot drops keep breaking every time they try to patch even the smallest thing.

Explanation B: The same people who though Mass Effect 3's ending was a good idea honestly thought the current scaling system was a good idea

Explanation C: This game was programed by people with giant slabs of ham where their hands should be.

I'm also open to the possibility that it's some combination of the three.

Reckon you're on the money there.

Bad management + bad project management and enough bad talent to pollute the pool of whatever actual competent programmers they have.

I'm sure there are still some very talented developers at Bioware. Somewhere. They really need to find better jobs though.

The graphical & sound artists were not the cause of this belly flop at any rate.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

trash person posted:

I forgot about Artifact but it owns that no one plays it.

gently caress Valve for being like, "Oh we'll make video games again." Only because they saw how much Hearthstone was making

Isn't Artifact a good game? The way i've seen it described it sounded like what killed it is Valve being greedy fucks and locking everything behind paying, so people either didn't try it at all or tried and then went back to an F2P card game, rather than any problems with the gameplay.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope they rebounce. That may involve using their strengs and not his weakness. So far Bioware has been like a fish trying to climb a tree, but if that fish try to swim, it will meet with more success.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

reapers would be ok if there was like, five of them total

in ME1 you are introduced to how threatening even one can be, in direct combat and through its manipulations, ME2... i dunno, explores their lore or something (instead of whatever it was that we got), and in ME3 all the factions have to unite together to beat the remaining small group of reapers who arrive at the same time and bring armies with them, and ideally also have names and personalities and interact with the player character like Sovereign and Harbringer did

but when there's a shitload of them it devalues them into a boring faceless armada and also makes it impossible to not have a bullshit ending because the story made it clear that nothing can beat so many of them at once

thanks for reading my "how i would write mass effect" fanfic

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

RottenK posted:

Isn't Artifact a good game? The way i've seen it described it sounded like what killed it is Valve being greedy fucks and locking everything behind paying, so people either didn't try it at all or tried and then went back to an F2P card game, rather than any problems with the gameplay.

Artifact is indeed NOT a good game.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
huh

i looked at some first impressions vids on youtube when it came out because i'm mildly interested in picking up a card game and everyone was praising it

but also it looks like almost no one made any further videos about it so i guess valve just bribed them for good reviews lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I played Andromeda when it came out and generally enjoyed it as a badly written, badly acted B-movie version of Mass Effect with a laughably bad narrative. At least it was a complete game that had content, even if it was ehhhh quality, you know?

Anthem can't even claim to have content. It's like Bioware got actively worse over the past couple years.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've never seen a game dropped as quickly and thoroughly by both the players and the devs as Artifact. It was actually surreal. The official twitter account's last tweet was December 22. No, there isn't some "great game" hidden in there that everyone just missed.

If i had a gun to my head and had to pick one i'd play Anthem to completion over an afternoon of Artifact, because as absurd of a sequence of incompetent trainwrecks Anthem is, it's also far cheaper, still has more players and at least the devs still look like they're trying to do something, anything.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 12, 2019

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

RottenK posted:

Artifact involves 3 separate screens that you see one at a time. There are 5 heroes, 4 mana types, and 2 decks per side. It is totally complicated and very hard to understand at a glance which is one of the basic jobs of a board game, making it hard to learn and bad for streaming.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They didn't even want to put in the effort to create a card game that card sharks would launder and prop up. I don't know how anyone at steam earns a living because I can't see anyone there working on anything but better ways to come up with an algorithm that makes sure they do jack poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Once Gabe gives up any pretense of still making games and focuses strictly on publication there will be a lot of Valve employees surplus to needs, yeah.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Artifact may not be a good game but it's a good boy

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Is there any other big game coming out with a single-word title that starts with the letter “A”?

Usually these poo poo-storms happen in threes.

Found it: Ubisoft is making “Avatar” for 2020. I predict that game is going to blow dog.

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 12, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Disargeria posted:

I know equipping lvl 1 starter weapons was cool last week, but have you tried just not even equipping anything in your support slot?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/azztgv/psa_removing_your_support_items_massively/

:lol:
What kind of messed up scaling system do they have? How does this keep happening?!?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I feel like Destiny had that for a while? Or some other game where you could game the system into getting better rolls on the gear you were getting by “maximizing” your current gear level by removing all the low level poo poo that brought your average down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

It has been a while for me, but wasn't the whole point of ME1 that by preventing Sovereign from completing its mission, you essentially stopped the Reapers from returning quickly and left them stranded in the void between galaxies? How did we still end up with Reapers running around the galaxy in ME3?