Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BRING 👏🏽 BACK 👏🏽 FLIGHT 👏🏽 ENGINEERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

VH4Ever posted:

He so didn't write this. But I still fail to see...the point? Of this?

"Smart people BAD!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1105471621672960000

anti-intellectualism is a mainstay of fascist thought.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://financialservices.house.gov/live/default.aspx has started, and the Ranking Member is actually going after the Wells Fargo guy as well (just the opening statement so far). Surprising to see

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Yet he wants the most advanced and modern Air Force One ever in his own words. He just loving talks to talk doesn't he.

To Donald, "advanced" means horses, cannons, and muskets with rifling rather than without.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

pocket pool posted:

Didn't that musbrained idiot want steam launchers on aircraft carriers because "digital is no good - can't be trusted."

In all things and ways he just wants the 1950s back again. Jim Crow, legal to smack women around and tell them what to do or else, no one was free to be gay or trans, we burned every fossil fuel we could get our hands on, no seatbelts in cars, etc etc etc.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

It is weird to hear a Republican be "angry" at Wells Fargo and criticize the regulators at the same time.

Also, LOL Mchenry " We know you have taken steps in the right direction...but it clearly hasn't been enough to satisfy your regulators"

THE RIGHT DIRECTION WOULD BE TO GIVE ALL THE MONEY YOU STOLE BACK

"lol the strong legacy of Wachovia and Wells Fargo" go gently caress yourself Mchenry

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

pocket pool posted:

Didn't that musbrained idiot want steam launchers on aircraft carriers because "digital is no good - can't be trusted."

He wanted steam launchers because the Navy can't make the magnetic one work right.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Nosre posted:

https://financialservices.house.gov/live/default.aspx has started, and the Ranking Member is actually going after the Wells Fargo guy as well (just the opening statement so far). Surprising to see

Not really, he was critical of "THE REGULATORS" and came across as sympathetic so expect softballs. Dude loving praised "the steps they have taken, but it just wasnt enough for those meanie regulators"

lol Rep Barr is concerned that the robbery by Wells Fargo gives voice to the unfair anti-bank meanies

Jesus, Kentucky really churns out shithouse ghouls. Barr is the loving worst bank bootlicker

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 12, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I dunno guys he might be on to something - I checked the numbers and there were a lot fewer airplane deaths a hundred years ago!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I refuse to be flown by any pilot who doesn't have a pair of cool goggles and a scarf whipping in the wind

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

All I hear when this guy talks is just an unending torrent of diarrhea

YOU HAVENT COMPENSATED poo poo. Give people back their houses you piece poo poo

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Perestroika posted:

Didn't the 737s crash specifically because the automated onboard systems hosed up? Something about the sensors erroneously thinking the plane was stalling and forcing an unrecoverable nose-down input that the pilots couldn't override?

While this is a likely cause, I would point out that outside of outright terrorism, there's never one cause for a plane to crash and it's going to be a while to find out what actually happened.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

There is no polite word to describe how loving stupid our president is. I had to run out of the office and scream after reading those tweets. Jesus Haploid Christ.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

I refuse to be flown by any pilot who doesn't have a a pair of cool goggles and a scarf whipping in the wind

they wore those goggles because rotary WW1 engines leaked castor oil as part of their design, and castor oil injection gives you terrible uncontrollable shits

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

To Donald, "advanced" means horses, cannons, and muskets with rifling rather than without.

Woah there, you can't just have bullets spinning all over the place all willy nilly like that! Dial it back a notch junior!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

In all things and ways he just wants the 1950s back again. Jim Crow, legal to smack women around and tell them what to do or else, no one was free to be gay or trans, we burned every fossil fuel we could get our hands on, no seatbelts in cars, etc etc etc.

Don’t forget the legions of old men whining about the carburetor going the way of the dinosaur. Sure, we’ll all go back to the carb so you can fix your car, and we’ll all be happy paying the same for slower cars that burn three times as much gas and choke our cities with smog. Great times, great times.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The graph of aircraft related fatalities over time pretty much makes it self-evident that the president is an idiot.

e: More planes are flying more people more miles more safely now than at any other time in history. A lot of this is due to automation.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 12, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

How does his stupidity still surprise me

The safety of the airline industry is absolutely unparalleled. They often go years without any loss of life. What is wrong with him

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Perestroika posted:

Didn't the 737s crash specifically because the automated onboard systems hosed up? Something about the sensors erroneously thinking the plane was stalling and forcing an unrecoverable nose-down input that the pilots couldn't override?

This is just "make planes great again" wishful thinking about the past. Aviation is far, far safer than it used to be even 20 years ago, specifically because of all those complex automated safety systems. But Trump would rather think about a buff strong-jawed white male Hero Pilot wrestling dramatically with the controls, instead of "the emergency was noticed and stopped by the computer before it could ever even start."

Boeing needs to be held responsible for their fuckup, but the answer is to make the safety systems better, not throw them out the window.

e: he's literally saying that he doesn't want some brainy Jewish guy flying his plane

Ashcans posted:

I dunno guys he might be on to something - I checked the numbers and there were a lot fewer airplane deaths a hundred years ago!

Something happened in late 1918 that really helped the numbers; we should just do that again.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 12, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

At a time when Boeing is taking huge hits globally, two more countries since that tweet have grounded Boeing planes. I thought he was the stock market president so why is he trying to gently caress them?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Murgos posted:

The graph of aircraft related fatalities over time pretty much makes it self-evident that the president is an idiot.

The President makes it self evident on a daily basis, no graph needed.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I was with a bank I liked and then Wells Fargo bought them

I worked for Well Fargo corporate - they are as horrible as you think and even worse than you know! I would never willfully do business with them.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I have a Southwest flight on Thurs (absolute loving shame on them, might not ever fly them again after this trip) but my pilot better be the old dude named Winston from the first Mummy film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

it is incredible how he still manages to outdo himself years in.

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1105477533737340933

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

"You put all these games on the computer, now it's slow" but with planes

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ripoff posted:

Don’t forget the legions of old men whining about the carburetor going the way of the dinosaur. Sure, we’ll all go back to the carb so you can fix your car, and we’ll all be happy paying the same for slower cars that burn three times as much gas and choke our cities with smog. Great times, great times.

I wonder how many of those people ever actually rebuilt a carburetor anyway, because I'd wager it was few to none. I have done, and it was such an incredible pain in the rear end that I never want to do it again.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tim Whatley posted:

I have a Southwest flight on Thurs (absolute loving shame on them, might not ever fly them again after this trip) but my pilot better be the old dude named Winston from the first Mummy film.

I flew southwest for the very first time this weekend and it was great, what did they do now

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah, I've definitely checked to make sure that our flights this weekend aren't on the 737 MAX 8, because I am still working on my flight anxiety. Thankfully it's all good. But yeah, I'm wondering what the difference is between the US and all the other companies who've grounded that model.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pleads posted:

I flew southwest for the very first time this weekend and it was great, what did they do now

They're flying 35 737 Max 8s and refusing to ground them while the whole world does, with another ~250 on order.

The difference is a Boeing executive is our SecDef.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

Not really, he was critical of "THE REGULATORS" and came across as sympathetic so expect softballs. Dude loving praised "the steps they have taken, but it just wasnt enough for those meanie regulators"

I guess anything beyond craven bootlicking from the GOP is surprising these days, and he's pushing a little bit at least

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

The safety of the airline industry is absolutely unparalleled. They often go years without any loss of life. What is wrong with him

He only knows what is immediately in front of him at any given time. The next thing he learns of will push airplanes out of his head until he sees one again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

luxury handset posted:

they wore those goggles because rotary WW1 engines leaked castor oil as part of their design, and castor oil injection gives you terrible uncontrollable shits

all i'm hearing is 'biological warfare'

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is incredible how he still manages to outdo himself years in.

He started as the dumbest prick we've ever elected, and has been in a state of steady cognitive decline ever since. Trump is clearly, obviously stupider than he was in 2016.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morcant posted:

Yeah, I've definitely checked to make sure that our flights this weekend aren't on the 737 MAX 8, because I am still working on my flight anxiety. Thankfully it's all good. But yeah, I'm wondering what the difference is between the US and all the other companies who've grounded that model.

As with all things US, it's probably :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

What the gently caress is the 63 for anyway? Why am I even asking for this stupid poo poo I swear....

Average user age

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

luxury handset posted:

The goggles were so you could see with 100mph wind tearing at your eyes. The badass scarf wrapped around your mouth/face was to keep the castor oil out of you.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sean10mm posted:

He started as the dumbest prick we've ever elected, and has been in a state of steady cognitive decline ever since. Trump is clearly, obviously stupider than he was in 2016.

Which is saying something. Because I'm sure there were cavemen smarter than 2016 Donald Trump.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

2016 was the year we proved that the dumbest people in America are smarter than all of us.

I mean, we're paying :10bux: to shitpost while they get paid millions to make bad tweets.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rent-A-Cop posted:

2016 was the year we proved that the dumbest people in America are smarter than all of us.

You don't just inherit millions of dollars without being ridiculously smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

As with all things US, it's probably :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Pretty much. Unless our Airlines have definitive proof that the 737 Max is unsafe they'll keep flying it because they don't want to lose money by having to ground or replace those planes.