Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Whenever I see the rescue zord I just can't get over how huge his legs are compared to the rest.

Thanks for reminding me how great the finale was for Turbo. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Even in Go-Busters it was bizarre that Hiromu's weakness was chickens. Like, the other two had legitimate issues from their powers, but he's just... scared of chickens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Even in Go-Busters it was bizarre that Hiromu's weakness was chickens. Like, the other two had legitimate issues from their powers, but he's just... scared of chickens.

I believe it was eventually explained that the rationale for it was due to some kind of childhood trauma (like he was attacked by a chicken once or something) but yeah, it is kind of weird

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Larryb posted:

I believe it was eventually explained that the rationale for it was due to some kind of childhood trauma (like he was attacked by a chicken once or something) but yeah, it is kind of weird

His elementary school had a chicken coop the kids maintained and one day a rooster mauled him.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: eh, weak joke

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

His elementary school had a chicken coop the kids maintained and one day a rooster mauled him.

That was it, so it's at least somewhat justified at any rate. I haven't watched episode 2 yet but did they give a reason why Devon was afraid of dogs or is it literally just because he has cheetah DNA now?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry guys, too tired to go into Space today. Tomorrow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I thought you'd be going back to one a week, you just did seven in a row

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This isn’t the greatest source, but according to Roxy and Betty’s actresses Beast Morphers was the most viewed show on Nickelodeon during its first two weeks.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

That was it, so it's at least somewhat justified at any rate. I haven't watched episode 2 yet but did they give a reason why Devon was afraid of dogs or is it literally just because he has cheetah DNA now?

Yup. All of the weaknesses are due to being corrupted by Evox’s virus. So the Rangers have all of the problems of a computer (freezing, overheating, shutting down).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Morby posted:

Yup. All of the weaknesses are due to being corrupted by Evox’s virus. So the Rangers have all of the problems of a computer (freezing, overheating, shutting down).

That kind of makes sense actually (also Nick’s PR counterpart is voiced by Kelson Henderson). I forget, was it ever explained in Go Busters why Blue and Yellow had their respective weaknesses?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Larryb posted:

I forget, was it ever explained in Go Busters why Blue and Yellow had their respective weaknesses?

They're glitch drawbacks from getting their superpowers in the first place. Hiromu's is the only one that's really gone into because "chicken trauma" is a bit more ridiculous than "statue-freezes whenever he panics."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hiromu's is also the only one that has a mental component instead of just being a physical limitation, but all three of them still got a bit or two about leaning on their team to make up for their own weakness (and so did Jin, I would say).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's also cute because the human Go-Busters get computer flaws (freezing, overheating, battery drain, pop-ups) while their robotic buddies get human flaws (no sense of direction, overprotectiveness, overbearingness, egotism) so it makes for a balanced cast of humans and robots.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the things I found while trying to confirm if the Cheetah blaster was something I forgot (I didn't, it's a PR original toy) is that there were three other Busters/Rangers that were made that only had limited appearances: Green, Pink, and Black. All three show up in a V-Cinema movie that came out after the series though only Green and Black get costumes. Pink does show up in the main series as technically the same person, but is basically the character in a wig and sunglasses.

I really hope some element of that makes it in, as unlikely as it is.

Edit: Apparently Scrozzle is also completely original despite having a really similar feel to a typical Sentai monster. Of course, he doesn't fit the Go-Bus monster template, but it's still extra surprising that a completely original monster suit was designed.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 11, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chip Lynn has been better about that other Neo Saban seasons. Dino Charge had Sledge and Ninja Steel re-purposed Baron Nero with a new face as a new character.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Like was said before, Hiromu's weakness was that he froze when he panicked. He just panicked at the sight of chickens because of he was attacked by one as a child, and was such a cool customer that nothing else scared him that badly.

I didn't realize Power Rangers had moved to an early morning slot and missed the first episode, is there any way to catch it now or do I just have to wait for it to show up on netflix/nick.com? I caught the second one, and so far it seems pretty good aside from a weak theme song.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I regret to inform you that I cannot be bothered to In Space today. Just gonna take a well-earned break and put it out Friday. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Agent Rush posted:

Like was said before, Hiromu's weakness was that he froze when he panicked. He just panicked at the sight of chickens because of he was attacked by one as a child, and was such a cool customer that nothing else scared him that badly.

I didn't realize Power Rangers had moved to an early morning slot and missed the first episode, is there any way to catch it now or do I just have to wait for it to show up on netflix/nick.com? I caught the second one, and so far it seems pretty good aside from a weak theme song.

Well there's always :filez: should be able to find it on /m/ with a couple minutes of work

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

As an aside, it was super cool to me that Ryuji was my own age when Go-Busters aired. I guess he's still technically my age, but still. A sentai hero who was not only not 18, but pushing 30? That was pretty great; it often feels like the franchise is okay with young adults and middle-aged folk being rangers, but ignores regular adults entirely.

And also Jin pushing 50 while also still being 27 :allears:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Agent Rush posted:

You can watch it on the Nick app if you have a cable login. Doesn’t work with Comcast though.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

You can watch it on the Nick app if you have a cable login. Doesn’t work with Comcast though.

I put that on my roku, but the only Power Rangers I saw there was Nijna Steel. Is it listed under that, or did I just miss something?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Agent Rush posted:

I put that on my roku, but the only Power Rangers I saw there was Nijna Steel. Is it listed under that, or did I just miss something?

I don’t know about Roku, but on my iPad it pops up under Power Ranger Beast Morphers. They also bury it on there, it’s like the 12th show.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

As an aside, it was super cool to me that Ryuji was my own age when Go-Busters aired. I guess he's still technically my age, but still. A sentai hero who was not only not 18, but pushing 30? That was pretty great; it often feels like the franchise is okay with young adults and middle-aged folk being rangers, but ignores regular adults entirely.

And also Jin pushing 50 while also still being 27 :allears:

A lot of what makes Gobus special is wrapped up in the age and training differences! Yoko got her powers when she was an actual baby (4, I think?) so she's never not been training to be a Go-Buster, so she resents Hiromu for what from her perspective looks like walking in off the street and taking the best Zord. Hiromu, who was kept away from the Ranger program and has been working his rear end off to keep up, has a huge chip on his shoulder about being treated like the newbie.

Ryuji being the adult has a lot of layers. The incident happened when he was a teen, so he's the opposite of Yoko in that he already had a life plan that is totally derailed by becoming a Ranger. Despite that, he wants to protect the kids, but he's at a disadvantage from starting his training "late," and on top of that his weakness puts them in danger, which is an especial soft spot for Yoko since she essentially grew up with him. And instead of dealing with any of that anxiety he tries to act as cool and professional as possible and hides his weaknesses so he can look like he always knows what he's doing.

This ties directly into the weak points. Hiromu's and Yoko's are both in different ways about having limits and accepting help - Yoko particularly is about trusting Usada, her caretaker. Ryuji's is about repressing his real goals and feelings until they "explode."

And Jin is like Ryuji squared - he wants to be a mentor to Ryuji and a dad to Yoko but he acts glib so he won't disappoint them. Even his "weak point" is essentially having extra lives which enables his super unhealthy martyr complex.

Beast Morphers is definitely good so far but a little piece of me is always going to be disappointed that they threw all that out and went with a pack of teens. I empathize a lot with Ryuji and Jin.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I always felt like Kobayashi wanted to actually make Jin Yoko's dad, but was kept from being able to do so by people higher on the totem pole than her.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh yeah I forgot about Jin trying to reconnect with the kids he knows after like 10 years stuck in Computer Hell. Gobus is good! It's actually a good Sentai ensemble team! Even though Red's got the far and away best robot already! How did this happen!

I dunno, I think it works better that he's chasing the shadow of Yoko's mom in her because he had a crush on her than actually being Yoko's dad. It fits his awkward won't-admit-he-loves-you shtick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love they actually have cockpits with physical controls, how long has it been since that was true, like 15 years?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The Battle for the Grid fighting game keeps looking better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmg8E51cn_U

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The lack of voices is off-putting to me for some reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They turned it into a 3v3? Ok, good design choice there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The roster still feels pretty random. I mean. Mastodon Sentry? Kat before literally any other SPD Ranger?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nodosaur posted:

Mastodon Sentry?
Buy our comic!

Nodosaur posted:

Kat before literally any other SPD Ranger?
Dekaranger, out on Shout! soon™

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Buy our comic!

But the comic already has the far more obvious choices of Lord Drakkon and the Ranger Slayer in. The Mastodon Sentry is such an incredibly random choice that doesn't really add much to the roster, especially when so many Power Rangers and villains people love exist.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mostly just cynically guessing tbh.
Maybe cause people like Zack and Adam they picked the black one, and then drakkon for :10bux: DLC for easy money?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I feel like a befuddled Old over this, but I wish they'd stop trying to make a thing about the comics. Is the PR franchise/fandom the only ones that don't see a comic-tie in and not see "oh, here's something that will never ever matter"?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like a befuddled Old over this, but I wish they'd stop trying to make a thing about the comics. Is the PR franchise/fandom the only ones that don't see a comic-tie in and not see "oh, here's something that will never ever matter"?

I dunno, the comics are pretty fun. I mean it’s really no different then seeing a different Batman on TV, movies, comics and video games and they all are good and well received (mostly). I’m just enjoying that it feels like the franchise is relevant again and that we’re getting all this supplemental stuff for fans of all ages.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Agreed. Do I really need to know that Kim almost dated some rando and his life was in danger and she had to choose between Rangering and keeping him safe in a way that alienated him?
Or that Alternate Universe Finnster disassembled Alpha and for some reason integrated his robotics with his body in some crazy scheme that isn't as dark as the writers mayne were aiming at?
gently caress no.

Do all the associated adventures and stories give me an excuse to enjoy My Old Rangers in a different setting, tapping into the fun I had watching the show as a kid? Oh gently caress yes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's also a good excuse to use as much of the 'original' rangers as possible without making it seem too waysided. It's not that 4/6 original rangers are in, and Tommy is in twice, it's just Green and Red, plus Ranger Slayer, Mastodon Sentry and that super cool Lord Drakkon. So many villains.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

Apart from a single mention in a one-off web special for the 50th anniversary Big Finish's Doctor Who audio dramas will never "matter" to the show itself, but they still make up like a third of what gets talked about in that thread.

Things don't have to "matter" to be cool and good, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I hope the new game is good. It looks fun.