Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah... I was worried that it wasn’t just my sleepiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
No reviewers seem to like it. I think I might just check out of the show here, and end on the high note that was last season.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
To be fair, that's not the entire season. But it's probably worth waiting to see if those with more patience deem it to get better after the first 3.

As much fun as a lot of the non-book stuff was, with such a short season, I feel like they should have focused more on Shadow's travels. At this rate, you won't find out what the gently caress is going on as far as why Wednesday wants Shadow for like 4 seasons, and while it ultimately makes sense and is cool it can't live up to a 5 year buildup. House on the Rock is only 1/5 of the way through the loving book and they don't get to it in the first season.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 7, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't trust reviews before the season airs. Critics said The Orville was garbage, but they only saw the early sitcom episodes and not the ones where the show got good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First episode is up for anyone who has Starz streaming.

Edit: it kind of feels the same but just less substantial? Like it’s missing the weight the first season had from the get go.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 10, 2019

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Excited to watch it tonight with my friends. Three of us read the book ages ago, and one hasn't read it. It's been fun to try to remember everything from the books and try to explain it to the one who hasn't read it. He's enjoying the show but is totally lost.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The opening to episode 3 is probably the greatest thing in the first season.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Oasx posted:

The opening to episode 3 is probably the greatest thing in the first season.

I read somewhere that it was originally planned to be the opening of the first episode, which I think would have been a far better choice.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Me wife and I just saw the premiere, and we both liked it! I know the critics haven’t liked it, but so far both of us are in.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I don't care what the critics say this show is still great visually and the cast chemistry is still amazing; Orlando Jones as Nancy is perfect

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
They still have the great visuals, but that premiere was the definition of spinning its wheels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seemed just as slow as the first season. I had no idea what they were even doing until the end of the episode and I thought that's what they were doing at the end of the first season.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just finished the premier. I felt like it was faithful to the first season. But I do have concerns that like the first episode of every season of Game of Thrones, the episode almost has to be all catch up of the last season. (Especially with two-year breaks being the norm for prestige shows.) Shadow getting abducted did feel like something of a retread.

Regarding Mr World and book spoiler's All of his actions are completely re-contextualized knowing the way the book plays out. And given some of the hints he dropped in this episode, I can't imagine they change that. But I'm curious how they intend to do so, because it seems like a massive task to make satisfying for the show.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It was definitely slow-paced, but I'm still enjoying it immensely. The casting and the visuals are superb in this show.

Also, I didn't realize the House on the Rock was a real place, and the episode was mostly shot on location. All those sets are just parts of the real House. :aaaaa:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
House on the Rock is very real be very weird. I went with friends before the first season because we had expected the first season to end with the carousel scene:

Weirdest thing at the house might be the very cult-y video playing on repeat in the first exhibit room. It describes the builder’s youth as, and I quote, “As a boy, he grew strong.” With that 50s educational film cadence. Either that or the alarming number of shag carpeted books that were clearly for boning.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was pretty disappointed with that, but the lighting and the music were still on point, and there was some wonderful acting. Loved the scenes in the carousel room.

Thought the dialogue and writing in general was less intelligent, and I'm not even talking about cliched nonstarters like Mr. World's bunker scenes. Scenes go by without any frisson, they just pass passably. Not to mention that the entire thing was far less sexy.

Not too keen on the shot composition either. It's fine, but it doesn't seem as purposeful; sometimes it was just quick and dirty. Blah.

I did appreciate the actress playing Bilquis though, I get the sense she's actually a really good actress. I just wish that we'd have seen what Fuller and Green had wanted to do with this episode.Definitely would have had a wax lion shoutout during the coin machine bit, I know that for certain.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The first season was meant to be two episodes longer right? Any chance this episode was meant to be setup and the next episode was meant to be the true season finale/premiere?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

The first season was meant to be two episodes longer right? Any chance this episode was meant to be setup and the next episode was meant to be the true season finale/premiere?

Yes to two episodes longer, but the subject matter of this episode was originally the finale.

The other episode would presumably have expanded the Bilquis and Nancy subplots from the actual first season finale into a full episode, or at least that's my guess.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like the music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ieGSsWd8U

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm just glad the OP theme wasn't changed out for something else---lightning striking twice and all that.

Episode itself was solid enough that I'm more than looking forward to the rest from here.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean I'm in for the long haul anyway but while it was weaker it wasn't so bad it'd dissuade me. I did think the behind the curtain scenes would look weirder

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The scene with the gods was really cool, but I could have done without dead wife joining the main story, her and mad sweeney just aren't interesting.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Oasx posted:

The scene with the gods was really cool, but I could have done without dead wife joining the main story, her and mad sweeney just aren't interesting.

Begone, heathen!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Laura and Mad Sweeney are some of the best parts of the show.

I wasn't disappointed in the premiere at all. We'd been doing a rewatch of season one for the past week, and it segued pretty well, though so far it doesn't have the same like, delirious quality season one had. But we're only one ep in, so I have faith (:haw:).

I was really sad to see Zorya go :smith:. She reminded me of my grandma.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Orlando Jones actor who plays Nancy was on a podcast this week (We Got This With Mark and Hal) and some of what he says doesn't bode well. He considers American Gods to be Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Ok but how does that matter? Well he's now main cast. And a producer on the show. And a writer on it as well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oasx posted:

someone's due for a stoning

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought it was a pretty good episode! Slow start, but once the caroussel got going it was pretty much the same stuff I loved about last season. Though Shadow's line about "aren't you worried about cancer?" was really stupid.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought it was a pretty good episode! Slow start, but once the caroussel got going it was pretty much the same stuff I loved about last season. Though Shadow's line about "aren't you worried about cancer?" was really stupid.

It was, but the "I AM cancer!" retort was delicious. Czernobog's hair was a lot darker, I wonder if that means something?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Ricky Whittle is great to look at, but drat do they not do him any favors for his character with the script. There's a whole lot of "*look bewildered at everything going on around him*", too.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm not enamored with Laura sticking around as a main character, either, but if she's an excuse to have more Mad Sweeney, I'm here for it.

My friends and I all agree about the writing in this episode, though--it is definitely different, and it remains to be seen if it'll be better or worse. It's certainly more hammy, especially Shadow's lines, but I kind of like them making him out to be sort of a goofball kid despite his enormous size. Any time someone shits on him or doesn't give him a straight answer, Ricky Whittle does this kind of childish pouting that doesn't match his size and makes me feel really bad for him and want to be his friend just so he has someone that will give him a straight answer. Still over the moon (heh) with his casting.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Ricky Whittle is great to look at, but drat do they not do him any favors for his character with the script. There's a whole lot of "*look bewildered at everything going on around him*", too.

While American Gods is a good read, I was kinda skeptical about a TV series because Shadow is like, explicitly a non-entity over pretty much the entire story. In that regard, Ricky is doing... well?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Kaedric posted:

While American Gods is a good read, I was kinda skeptical about a TV series because Shadow is like, explicitly a non-entity over pretty much the entire story. In that regard, Ricky is doing... well?

I haven't read the book yet, so that's good to know. I just wish he was given more of a presence. Though I do also agree with the poster above you that I kind of appreciate the way they make him demure despite his size; it's not a typical path you'd take with a character of Ricky's physicality.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kaedric posted:

Yeah in the book he's kind of like this Dante observer just absorbing all this poo poo.

I feel you can really tell Gaiman had more of a hand with the script this time, some of the stuff seems like straight out of The Sandman.

Czernobog's curse was badass though

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hughlander posted:

The Orlando Jones actor who plays Nancy was on a podcast this week (We Got This With Mark and Hal) and some of what he says doesn't bode well. He considers American Gods to be Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Ok but how does that matter? Well he's now main cast. And a producer on the show. And a writer on it as well.

“After some actors, including star Ian McShane (Mr. Wednesday), began taking passes at improving dialogue, the production was forced to enlist co-star Orlando Jones (Mr. Nancy) as a writer on the series so a member of the WGA would be credited with writing instead of having actors violating guild rules.”

Though I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, American Gods is very much a fantasy story and the show has added certain sci if elements. Jones is, in fact, the one actor that has completely grasped and understood his character.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I haven't read the book yet, so that's good to know. I just wish he was given more of a presence. Though I do also agree with the poster above you that I kind of appreciate the way they make him demure despite his size; it's not a typical path you'd take with a character of Ricky's physicality.

Yeah it's a bit odd, since I guess the conceit is that he was hired as a 'bodyguard' and gets into barfights and whatnot.

Book stuff:
It's been a year or two since I've re-read the book, but when I said he was 'explicitly a non-entity' I meant it. Like, I think most of the time people didn't notice he even existed? Like they would just forget he was there. Maybe I'm misremembering. Due to this he didn't honestly interact much with anything going on in the story (imo till the epilogue), as the above poster noted: he was more of an observer to things going on around him. Someone correct me if I fudged this a bit.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Kaedric posted:

Yeah it's a bit odd, since I guess the conceit is that he was hired as a 'bodyguard' and gets into barfights and whatnot.

Book stuff:
It's been a year or two since I've re-read the book, but when I said he was 'explicitly a non-entity' I meant it. Like, I think most of the time people didn't notice he even existed? Like they would just forget he was there. Maybe I'm misremembering. Due to this he didn't honestly interact much with anything going on in the story (imo till the epilogue), as the above poster noted: he was more of an observer to things going on around him. Someone correct me if I fudged this a bit.

Nah that's pretty literally spot on, and kind of the entire thesis of the story. Dude's name is literally Shadow, like, Gaiman is a lot of things but he is definitely not subtle.

Also: This is a story about Gods, some of which are Gods of science. Like considering American Gods a science fiction/fantasy story is a pretty milquetoast take in the scheme of things imo

April
Jul 3, 2006

This interview sheds some light on how Ricky has played Shadow so far, and I'm really excited to see where S2 goes.

http://collider.com/american-gods-season-2-interview-ricky-whittle-pablo-schreiber/#starz

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I got a month of Starz last week to finish Ash vs. Evil Dead and started American Gods afterward. Didn't realize season 2 was premiering this week so I'm really thrilled I jumped into the series when I did. I binged the whole first season and saw the premiere last night and hot drat do I really like the show, thanks to a great cast and music/visuals.

Never read the book, which I'm kind of glad for since I have no preconceived ideas of how characters or scenes "should" look or play out. Been a fun rear end ride so far and I can't wait to see what happens next. Ian McShane is one of my favorite actors since Deadwood, so this show is hitting all kinds of high notes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the season 2 premiere was pretty drat good. Still great visuals, dialogue was meh at some points and good at others. Makes me feel less worried about the production issues.

I remember essentially nothing from the book, was this episode an accurate portrayal of the meeting at the house on the rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Some characters were missing in both directions, and Charlie Nancy is a much larger character in the show, more fleshed out. Tone was spot on though.