Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

well now I feel way worse about abandoning her 10ish levels into my game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
When I played this game I decided to do a permadeath no reset run since I heard Birthright was supposed to be the easier game, and in this mission Silas killed Azura so I had to play the rest of the game without a singer. Good times.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

well now I feel way worse about abandoning her 10ish levels into my game

eh she's not great anyway

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Felicia basically requires a reclass to be a decent combat unit, and even then she only tends to shine because 90% of the Birthright units are awkward to use.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Y'all are crazy Felicia is great. Any unit that can use hidden weapons are good, especially if they can heal as well. Give Felicia the Magic Shuriken and watch her be a Machine of Death.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

In case it hasn't come up yet MiniFoo / Kuvo, if your pointer is over a friendly unit you can tap L to hop over to a different one, instead of needing to scroll to each unit.
(Does it also filter by characters that have actions left? Can't remember off the top of my head.)

e: maybe I should watch the entire ep before commenting, durrrrrr.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 12, 2019

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
i'd tell you which one is best boy, but you're playing birthright so you don't get access to him :( it's benny for the record

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Awakening shakeup to the old Rescue mechanic was pretty great, although the balance implications in Awakening were kinda bananas. Awakening was not a balanced game.

It used to be the case (in the GBA games and I forget how far before that) that Rescuing was something a unit could do to another unit on their own turn, which would end their turn, and eat the turn of the Rescued unit, if it hadn't already been used. This made narrative and mechanical sense, because the idea was that you were picking someone up bodily and carrying them out of danger, and eating big penalties to speed, accuracy and evasion for doing so. It was difficult, but not impossible, to game this system; once you have Rescued a unit, you can also Give them to another unit (or Take a Rescued unit from another unit). Give ends your turn, but not the turn of the person you Give to! Therefore, it is possible to set up a supply line gambit and transport a carried unit the whole way across the map in one turn, if you really want to, and sometimes, you really did want to. The Radiance games switched up the stats involved in this process a little but the procedures were all still the same.

(Tangent: The GBA games were really weird about rescue stats. Every unit had Con(stitution), to represent their build, and Aid, a stat that represented how heavy a unit they could carry. If your Aid > their Con, you can Rescue them. For footsoldiers, Aid is just Con - 1. For mounted units, Aid is 25 - Con for male units and 20 - Con for female. The implication is obviously that with mounted units it's the horse/pegasus/wyvern doing the lifting... but then why do female units, who are all lighter (which we know because they all have low Con) get less Aid? Do they just all have garbage horses? Anyway, in practice this doesn't matter a whole lot because the heaviest female mounted unit can carry all but the very heaviest footsoldiers but it's just weird.)

Awakening shook this up by replacing Rescue with Pair Up, in which two units just hang out in the same space, with one nominally in the lead (and being the operational unit) and the other behind (being carried, for free, by the lead unit). The big difference between Rescue and Pair Up is that Rescuing requires someone to burn their turn picking you up, while Pair Up is basically just Giving yourself to someone (basically just like Advance Wars), and doesn't consume their turn, so they can immediately move you and unload you somewhere. There are no Con checks and no penalties for carrying someone. The tactical implications of that alone are huge, but on top of that, in Awakening, Paired units as well as adjacent units can also team up for attack and defense, while in Fates they seem to have changed it so that joined-up Pairs only get defense options and adjacent units only get attack options (and this is all on top of bonuses from Supports). This seems to me to be a good mechanical decision from Fates, because it now means that there can exist optimal strategies besides keeping every husbando and waifu paired up 100% of the time. Game design!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Vicas posted:

By our third or fourth session we've more or less started the shipping procedures

That may be a few episodes away though

Okay then! Looking forward to it!

TriffTshngo posted:

eh she's not great anyway

This is lies and slander and Felicia Emblem is the correct path :colbert:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Fedule posted:

The tactical implications of that alone are huge, but on top of that, in Awakening, Paired units as well as adjacent units can also team up for attack and defense, while in Fates they seem to have changed it so that joined-up Pairs only get defense options and adjacent units only get attack options (and this is all on top of bonuses from Supports). This seems to me to be a good mechanical decision from Fates, because it now means that there can exist optimal strategies besides keeping every husbando and waifu paired up 100% of the time. Game design!

Working through the mechanics mostly blind but with a ton of pre-Awakening knowledge has been a hoot, I gotta say

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also, as part of the pair-up mechanic you can also switch between the leading character, so that the secondary character can use their action. (Or just to swap so that the slower, ferried character can defend during the enemy turn. )

So Kaze could run over to Subaki, pair up.
Subaki flies over to chest, uses switch, and then Kaze can use his action to open the chest.
All in a single turn.

While separate, as used in the end of the video, just splits them up again, but uses their action to do so. (Though this is useful if you're just explicitly ferrying a character.)

You can only use switch as a post-move/stand still action though, I think, so you can't for example switch to the faster unit, move, then switch back.

I'm pretty sure that part is still the same in Fates as in Awakening.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: a video :frogsiren:
Ep 09 - A Vow Upheld (part 3)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
chat leak

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Birthright has better characters, after taking another look at the roster.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Dvac is doing the lord's work by making shipping spreadsheets

Also, if you haven't done it in your recordings yet, you'll want to check out the crystal ball. There's a few free goodies in there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

Dvac is doing the lord's work by making shipping spreadsheets

Also, if you haven't done it in your recordings yet, you'll want to check out the crystal ball. There's a few free goodies in there.

I don't blame anyone for hacking the game to get all of the bonuses though. Not all of us live in Japan and have 700 people doing streetpass on each block.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
You got a Parasol? Lucky break- they're one of the few 1-2 range swords that can crit, and their nonexistent Might can be compensated for by putting it on someone with a lot of Strength (plus aforementioned crits). They're kinda my weapon of choice for Sword-users in Birthright. The Hair Pin, meanwhile, is pretty good overall, but can only be used by women... which kinda limits it to Felicia at the moment (no, I don't know why there're gender-locked weapons in this game either). Lanterns, on the other hand, are actually the Staff equivalent of a "joke weapon" - they've got reasonable healing for the early game (and a bit of extra range), but terrible durability (no, Fog of War is not, generally, a thing in Fates).

DVP presumably stands for Dragon Vein Points, for the record.

...Well, shipping Saizo with Subaki is awkward, since Subaki is the first MALE Pegasus unit in the entire series.

Feeding Lilith gives 1 full point in whichever stat is related to the food you give her, plus about half a point in everything else. Fair warning: Her caps are directly proportional to the level of her building.

The Rat Spirit is basically a Tome-type weapon, and is equivalent to those Brass weapons everyone else is swinging around. Only real difference is that it's a magic-based attack.

I'd explain the "adults" thing, but I should probably wait for a character that isn't classified as "adult" to join first. Spoiler policy, y'see. But yes, the Mess Hall just buffs your stats for one map.

I'd recommend doing some Paralogues; they can give interesting rewards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How is Dvac calculating the ships in this game is it just pairing whoever together and then marking that down in the spreadsheet? I ask because aside from putting Chome together with anyone he's related to, I'm wondering where bad ships are going to come from.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Kuvo posted:

chat leak

Who the hell uses light theme in Discord and not dark theme?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Laputanmachine posted:

Who the hell uses light theme in Discord and not dark theme?

Chome

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RareAcumen posted:

How is Dvac calculating the ships in this game is it just pairing whoever together and then marking that down in the spreadsheet? I ask because aside from putting Chome together with anyone he's related to, I'm wondering where bad ships are going to come from.

There's a bunch of apps and websites that will calculate shipping pairs for you. They're super handy if you're an insane min/maxer.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eugenics at its finest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

There's a bunch of apps and websites that will calculate shipping pairs for you. They're super handy if you're an insane min/maxer.

Oh okay, I was just thinking she was either using the Hubba Tester or just judging people based on dialogue when they first show up and that was it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

More games should have a Hubba Tester.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The best way to determine pairings is which hair color you like best. Everything else is sub-optimal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope that every episode Kuvo walks into the shop, starts to buy something and then looks at all the characters and decides that it's too complicated and leaves.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I hope that every episode Kuvo walks into the shop, starts to buy something and then looks at all the characters and decides that it's too complicated and leaves.

:thumbsup:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not trying to be petty or anything, it makes me giggle every time.

Also you can back out on map selection so if you were to go to a Paralogue or something and decide 'Nah, gently caress this' you can just leave instead of starting it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

RareAcumen posted:

We'll talk about it more later but basically every single matching algorithm in existence, but also especially astrology

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My matchmaking formula in Awakening and Fates pretty much boils down to "which parent gives you good strength/magic and a class that can use it" because I don't have the time or the brainspace for anything more complex than that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

My matchmaking formula in Awakening and Fates pretty much boils down to "which parent gives you good strength/magic and a class that can use it" because I don't have the time or the brainspace for anything more complex than that.

So superficial.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
My matchmaking formula is exclusively "whose supports do I like best?" Yeah, I know, I'm a scrub. (This, incidentally, is why I always paired Sumia with Frederick in Awakening- he's the only support option she has that I don't hate the conversations for.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'll never forgive Awakening for making me choose between Manakete Morgan and not having to remember that Nowi exists.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Fedule posted:

I'll never forgive Awakening for making me choose between Manakete Morgan and not having to remember that Nowi exists.

marry tiki?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Camel Pimp posted:

marry tiki?

This is really the best option. The only bad part of marrying Tiki is that it increases the time to unlock the single best character in the game, Female Morgan.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

This is really the best option. The only bad part of marrying Tiki is that it increases the time to unlock the single best character in the game, Female Morgan.

But it does make the nature of her parents relationship that much better for who else can say that they are the daughter of god and the Antichrist.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: videossss :frogsiren:
Ep 10 - Fierce Winds

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also a quick note: I had originally planned for each episode to be an entire in-game chapter but after coming to the realization that this means each ep is 70ish mins long I decided to chop them into "cutscene" and "gameplay" episodes instead. I figured this would make it easier for the people who are here for anime bullshit to more easily enjoy the lp without having to skip though 40 mins of me loving up battle tactics. If it helps I can mark each ep with what its about with an emoji or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like how casually Chome and Hot Ninja brush off murdering innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: videossss :frogsiren:
Ep 11 - Fierce Winds (part 2)

Orochi is a good character

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 21, 2019