Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

You must build every weapon and grind them up to 30. Think of the mastery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

GreatGreen posted:

Does this game ever give you a test environment where you can try out weapons before having to spend the resources to get them?

Nah, the design is such that building the weapon isn't the core of the investment anyway. Building weapons and ranking them to 30 is part of the loop. Taking the ones you like and investing the resources to slot in more and better mods is where you'd want to consider whether or not a weapon sucks.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Death Panel Czar posted:

Are the jet engines and dangly bits on the Surator syandana animated at all, or is that whole thing static?

is it a bug? could be the main issue.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It would be nice to give the player access to all the frames, weapons, and mods in the game, but only in a limited test environment, from the start of the game. At least that way you could really get a feel for what Warframe has to offer, especially as a new player struggling to see a reason to stay because the only weapon you get is a totally generic and boring assault rifle you're stuck with for quite a while.

If I would have had any concept of the kind of ridiculous poo poo you can come up with between frames, guns, and mods in this game I would have been glued to it years ago, instead of installing it a couple years ago like I did and bouncing off it so hard I forgot all about it until recently.

In a game like this, you need a specific, tangible reason to grind, and letting players test drive gear is the best incentive I can think of for that. Not to mention this kind of thing would go a long way towards actually showing new players what the game is, which itself is not even very apparent to new players.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
or they might find something like that so overwhelming and have no clue what any of the mods are to make weapons really work so they're looking at 200 choices with no context as to why or what any of them mean so they just quit.

regardless, DE has acknowledged new player experience as something they plan to work on this year. Everyone knows it's in need of fixing, at least.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, the game probably would sell a lot more of its cosmetics too if it had better "preview" options that let you see the thing with different colorschemes or combinations besides the awkward layered Arsenal menus, some of that stuff doesn't even have actual previews and the only thing supposed to sell you on it is a tiny lovely thumbnail. The freeroam hubs where you can inspect people with fancy fashion sort of help advertise a bit of it.

Same for all the frames and weapons, if they had a "test this weapon with top community rated mod layouts" demo-simulacrum. Or sometimes you just see someone in your pub game going ham with a crazy firework display and can then check what they might be using.

It's just another aspect of the game's eternal struggle with properly presenting all its wealth of stuff.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 12, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Adding tutorial missions where you can test out the gameplay of all frames with some tips and prompts would not only go a long way to improving new player experience / stickiness, but I guarantee would sell more poo poo / encourage more grinding.

Like, if I'd had something say "here's what you do to make Gara have a shield that does a couple hundred thousand damage to anything nearby, forever" I would've gone to Orb Vallis ASAP and not left until I had the glass queen.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Psion posted:

or they might find something like that so overwhelming and have no clue what any of the mods are to make weapons really work they just quit. It's a double edged sword.

regardless, DE has acknowledged new player experience as something they plan to work on this year.

I think DE is so awful at explaining things to players that you might be thinking about this in terms of how DE normally does things, in which case I'd agree with you. However, I also think any half way decent tutorial and interface design could account for this.

You'd wait until after the player is told what mods are and how to upgrade them, then give the player a simulation space in their orbiter. Then when they enter the sim, say "Here's the simulation room. In this place you'll be able to test out different combinations of Frames and weapons against simulated enemies. In here, you cannot make progress in your game, meaning you'll earn no experience or resources. Instead, you can use this place to learn about all the different weapons, abilities, and strategies you can have at your disposal to deal with the challenges you'll face out there in the solar system. Good luck, Tenno!" or whatever.

Then give the player an Arsenal interface with everything (non-cosmetic) unlocked along with a description like required mastery level or whatever. Re-explain that there are almost a thousand mods so approach them more like an encyclopedia than a novel and let the players go nuts.

Maybe limit the enemy types they'd be able to fight to enemies they've already encountered but other than that, I think it would be fine to give them access to everything.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 12, 2019

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Fruity20 posted:

is it a bug? could be the main issue.
I haven’t bought it yet, I’m just asking. It’s hard to tell from the preview for cosmetics if they’re animated based on movement.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Adding tutorial missions where you can test out the gameplay of all frames with some tips and prompts would not only go a long way to improving new player experience / stickiness, but I guarantee would sell more poo poo / encourage more grinding.
I think that's the main idea behind the new ability screen and the included ability videos/hints, but yeah, there's so many frames and making a unique tutorial for each of them is a massive effort. And then you'd probably have to keep them up to date with other game changes constantly, which they already don't manage with stuff like ingame descriptions or labels.

Pablo is doing his absolute best but he's just human after all. I still say they should go for it, but it'll probably be a lengthy iterative process and not some giant "Warframe totally explains everything about itself perfectly and intuitively now" overhaul, as much as we all like to dream of it. :smith:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 12, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hey it's not just him, the guy who runs their livestreams put together a lot of those little video tutorials and Pablo called out someone else as helping them out too

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Being able to try weapons/frames before building them would be AMAZING. I slept on the Staticor for so long because the description of it doesn't really give you an idea of what it can really do at all, unless you go out of your way to look up guides or something.

Needless to say, I only built it because of a youtube video talking about it being good and I was like there's no way it's that good.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Similarly i had no idea the Ballistica Prime let you make hilarious enemy ghosts and let it rot in my foundry, unclaimed, for weeks. It's still not a great weapon, but drat, some of that silly fun stuff is impossible to find on your own.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Giving players simulation access to everything would also remove the need to do those little video descriptions for frames. You could just read the description and if you were still curious, you could try it out yourself in the simulation.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 12, 2019

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Death Panel Czar posted:

Are the jet engines and dangly bits on the Surator syandana animated at all, or is that whole thing static?

Its got three flaps that open/close covering smaller jets, if you're idle or actually bullet jumping around like other syndana that move. The big main jet is always going.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Doesn't Aegis Storm trigger bullet jump syandanas? I didn't notice it when I was using the Icarius one, but I could also have just not noticed. I feel like flying frames should open wings and such.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Are there any good Thrown secondaries / if so which and how? I got the Limbo Limina bundle so now I throw tarot cards instead of knives and I'm hoping this won't be purely fashion frame.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Fruity20 posted:

So, i finally got frost and I wanna know some builds and how each of his abilities work. i'm enjoying the new system though.

Some other little bits I didn't see mentioned about Frost.

His 1 can also chill an area of ground, so if you've built yourself for range and any duration this is probably a cheaper way to slow a group or hallway than his 2 or 4.

For a while I thought recasting his 3 inside of an existing 3 reset or added to the dome's health. Instead the new domes absorb the old one's health and each have their own few seconds where the globe can absorb incoming damage as extra health. So if you're just surrounded by incoming fire you can spam globes in place for a few seconds and make a single really tanky globe. Doing this does not count against the maximum number of snow globes.

In addition to damage and freezing cc, Frost's 4 also strips armor, how much depends on his ability strength.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Are there any good Thrown secondaries / if so which and how? I got the Limbo Limina bundle so now I throw tarot cards instead of knives and I'm hoping this won't be purely fashion frame.

All of the basic throwing knives can be made okay with Concealed explosives and as much multishot as possible. Whichever is fastest and has the most ammo is going to be king here. Concealed Explosives doesn't scale with weapon damage or mods so the goal is to just pepper an area with small explosions, works real real well against anything that isn't big and heavily armored.

I remember liking throwing knives but I can't remember any of them being really good, but if any have really good crit or status then that's what you're looking for.

There are also the Castanas and probably another remote grenade throwing weapon, those can be made out to be fairly strong but again I was never a big fan.

Then there's The Pox. Little gas bag status monsters. Imo the Pox are hands down the best thrown weapon. They're strong, they've got crazy good status, and they proc whatever status you have on them through the gas cloud they leave behind. Mod them for corrosive and blast, toss two on a group of heavy units, watch them them all repeatedly flail on the ground as they get knocked down and have their armor stripped with every tick of the gas cloud. Mod them for straight gas and electric and brutalize Corpus and have a good CO secondary. These things don't have a lot of ammo but they don't need it, you toss a few in a crowd and the crowd dies, toss three in a doorway and just don't worry about people coming through that door for a few seconds. The only thing they can't do is stack slash procs.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2019

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

v1ld posted:

Playing a static defense like Hydron when there's a killframe just standing on the artifact and deleting the map can be utter tedium even though I'm there to level up things and the killframe is doing just that for me. I'm also there to play the game and it's boring to see things die before you can do anything. Being there with a competent Saryn is probably the worst while Mesa isn't bad, she at least needs to see things to kill them.

Get Nova and building her for speeding up enemies. It won't solve the issue, but it makes the runs a whole lot faster. I go as Saryn sometimes when I'm with friends who need to level a frame or two and I'm always happy to see a Nova right up until they pop 4 and I find out they're using a slow build.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

A nice Speedva is also a great way to just surprise pub killframes.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Pox are great, I already had Gas proc Pox with a +toxic +multishot riven, primed heated charge, and I think both the 90 and 60/60 toxic mods. Bought that bundle and slapped that skin on immediately, proudly brought them on a mission to get the Gas Weapon kills Nightwave, figured out that gas status procs didn't actually count for it, didn't care because Pox are good dumb fun.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I rolled a goddamn Kunai riven with multishot and fire rate and you bet my rear end I went and spent a bunch of forma to make them into a weapon where I can flail wildly and everything will spontaneously explode.

Sadly, Concealed Explosives doesn't scale up at all so they're kind of a joke on enemies past level 40.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so arcane velocity not working with peacemakers is now a bug turned feature, yay
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1067436-patch-2440-mesas-peacemaker-not-working-anymore-as-intended/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-10585588

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

I'm going to be entirely real with you that I don't have, nor have looked at what Arcanes do. Even having acknowledged that, I'm going to say from my extensive use of Mess Prime that Peacemaker is the last thing on Earth that needs a big buff.

I regularly kill Synthesis targets without realizing it because that ability is so drat good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I hope they actually get a consistent position on arcanes and exalted because they're still broken for every other frame. Saying "oh well we decided to keep this bug as a feature" for Mesa doesn't answer those questions for Excalibur, Valkyr, Titania, even the two people who use Wukong...so that's gotta be addressed too. I'm not thrilled with the idea of 'get a crit with your other weapon and then turn on 4' to fly as a compromise value for Mesa but for some of the others that's just not even plausible to begin with.

LornMarkus posted:

I'm going to be entirely real with you that I don't have, nor have looked at what Arcanes do. Even having acknowledged that, I'm going to say from my extensive use of Mess Prime that Peacemaker is the last thing on Earth that needs a big buff.

I regularly kill Synthesis targets without realizing it because that ability is so drat good.

it's not about giving it a buff, it's about restoring functionality the game had from forever to mainline. Anyway to answer your question specifically, arcane velocity has a chance to raise fire rate for secondaries when you get a critical hit, giving you +80% rof for 6 seconds at r3.

it is truly good when you have regenerating or infinite ammunition, as peacemakers do, but it's also only useful there due to opportunity cost of slotting the arcane. so this is removing 50% of Velocity's use case, the other half being Titania, which is also broken at the moment. You can see why people would be salty even if you don't have them.

On a broader note, guardian/energize being doubled down upon as the only arcanes worth taking is not a good outcome when the arcane system already struggles to give you a reason to take anything else.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 12, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's both completely loving stupid and completely in character with how they've been with... well, everything since Fortuna Part 2 came out.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Thanks to Stash Augustine's generosity (and the runs we did tonight for some Sarin Prime parts) I've got a 2nd Nikana Prime set ready to gift.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Nikana_Prime

Ideally, I would prefer handing this over to a newer player, but as long as you don't have it already, it's cool. This is a PC ONLY offer.

Please quote this post if you are interested. On Wednesday, 7PM EST, I will draw a lucky name from a hat and reveal the lucky winner.

I'd like to be part of this. In-game name is Axegrinder45. Thank you.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I kind of wish "yeah, I broke it, but on second thought, gently caress you" was a valid response in my line of work

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you can still just trigger it and then turn on peacemaker

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that would require me to shoot at things outside of peacemaker though

very happy i only bought a couple velocities to get to rank 2 and not the whole hog

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Psion posted:

it is truly good when you have regenerating or infinite ammunition, as peacemakers do, but it's also only useful there due to opportunity cost of slotting the arcane. so this is removing 50% of Velocity's use case, the other half being Titania, which is also broken at the moment. You can see why people would be salty even if you don't have them.
It being useful for turning Peacemaker up to 11 is the only reason I own an R3 Velocity at all

at least I got it before Mesap was announced and the price doubled, i guess

edit: the dude in that thread going "Yeah but Peacemaker loving sucks against armor, check out this poo poo involving level 250, 400, and 1,300 enemies is pretty comical though

Zereth fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 12, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

what do you even have to do to get the game to generate level 1300 enemies

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Johnny Joestar posted:

You don't have to defend every stupid and bad decision they make, btw

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
probably 2 hours in the index or Mot or ESO?

Neither titania nor mesa needed a R3 to be even more insane, but they should really give people another fun and actually significant use case in return if they remove some powerful synergy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

Ok but Titania and valkyr and Excalibur and every other frame where pushing 4 doesn’t delete the room?

Or more specifically, what about frames where staying in exalted for extended durations is the point rather than the exception?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Neither titania nor mesa needed a R3 to be even more insane

No one has ever said they "need" it

more damage/bigger numbers = more fun

how is this hard for people to grasp

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
My gaming plan for after work is literally to see how big I can make the numbers get with Ivara and crit buff stacking.

I like big numbers, okay.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kyrosiris posted:

You don't have to defend every stupid and bad decision they make, btw

i don't. this is just kind of a weird and inconsequential thing, is all

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kyrosiris posted:

No one has ever said they "need" it

more damage/bigger numbers = more fun

how is this hard for people to grasp

I think the problem is that it's kind of lame when two or three warframes/guns/whatever spiral out of control into complete crazy murder town and the rest are "merely good" at best and "completely useless compared to X" at worst. Even without arcanes Mesa is already an unbelievably, game-bustingly powerful warframe and anytime she gets better, it makes it harder to justify running literally any other warframe.

Like, what if Peacemaker did ten times what it currently does? By the bigger numbers = more fun train of logic that'd be amazing, but it doesn't mean it's not a bad decision that utterly invalidates every method of killing enemies that aren't immune to powers.

But then again, I'm one of those crazy people that doesn't find wiping out every enemy on the map with the touch of a button fun, and I also kinda hate when I join a game and oops somebody is soloing the entire mission for me, better go take a nap next to the crypod. So I guess I'm just a wrong person or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
when higher numbers just railroad all weapons into the same play style and mod sets, they might be bad

I'm against more damage arcanes. I wouldn't mind if they were reserved for utility and weapon behavior changes like exodias and pax arcanes

even then, I feel they need to be consistent here. If the exalted weapon is a secondary, secondary arcanes should work there, no question