Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I know I waited a bit to see which way the dust settled between Blu Ray and HD-DVD. I thought the latter would win out, so I'm glad I never bothered to get anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I lived in rural as hell USA and never saw a VHS for sale after like 2003...dunno how y’all still had em until 2008

When my cousin took ownership in 05... they still had VCRs for RENT. I don't think they had actually been rented out in probably a decade... but they had them! I think he still has a couple of them sitting in the basement.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Fun Fact: the last major studio VHS release was A History of Violence. It included a preroll ad for DVD.

Hell yeah, I loved the commerical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4uTz9-Q1Q

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
This may not be the right place, but is there some kind of dipshit streaming content war going on with Amazon? I can rent A Star is Born on Vudu, Apple, Google, Playstation Now, or Fandango Now, but not Amazon and of course my Fire TV doesn't work with any of those services.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All the platform owners have a tendency to be giant babies sometimes. Amazon's tendency is the worst of them, in my experience.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I just signed up for Hulu Live TV and am disappointed to find out that you can’t fast forward through commercials on DVRed programs without paying an additional $15/mo. This might only apply to DVRed programs that are also available on demand but either way I don’t want to deal with it; it feels like a downgrade from having cable. Does YouTube TV have this same restriction, or is there some workaround for Hulu Live TV?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Bold Robot posted:

I just signed up for Hulu Live TV and am disappointed to find out that you can’t fast forward through commercials on DVRed programs without paying an additional $15/mo. This might only apply to DVRed programs that are also available on demand but either way I don’t want to deal with it; it feels like a downgrade from having cable. Does YouTube TV have this same restriction, or is there some workaround for Hulu Live TV?

For youtube tv dvred stuff I can fast forward. Only catch is after a few days/weeks it can switch to on demand versions that have unskippable commercials. Mostly applies to network TV shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mostly it's just CBS stuff that's affected liked that on YouTubeTV now. It used to affect NBCU stuff, but they have relaxed the restrictions lately.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That is hilariously lovely behavior.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That is hilariously lovely behavior.

Networks.txt

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex just up and cuts the commercials out if the shows it DVRs, it loving rules

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Plex just up and cuts the commercials out if the shows it DVRs, it loving rules

It is really good. I also like that you can pad out the recording for minutes before and after a scheduled recording. It comes in handy for sports that fit neatly into their time slots.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
YouTube TV has the unskippable ads in CBS stuff due to some contract nonsense. Some people have said it goes away after a fee weeks or something.

It'll also have the ads on stuff that is on demand vs. recorded, but otherwise the service is great and I'm a big fan of the interface. Especially the DVR stuff.

Fox sports on YTV is so much better than their own application.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Spacemonkey57 posted:

This may not be the right place, but is there some kind of dipshit streaming content war going on with Amazon? I can rent A Star is Born on Vudu, Apple, Google, Playstation Now, or Fandango Now, but not Amazon and of course my Fire TV doesn't work with any of those services.

Tangentially related - I have noticed in the last couple months it has gotten harder to find any movie released in the past two or three years available for streaming rent, everything is tied up in one of the various monthly subscriptions like HBOnow.

Did something change or am I just imagining things? Why are they making it so difficult to part me from my money?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Tangentially related - I have noticed in the last couple months it has gotten harder to find any movie released in the past two or three years available for streaming rent, everything is tied up in one of the various monthly subscriptions like HBOnow.

Did something change or am I just imagining things? Why are they making it so difficult to part me from my money?

They gave Netflix too much power and are now trying to claw it back by building their own streaming fiefdoms instead.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I feel like the movie industry is going through the same stages the music industry went through before finally giving in iTunes, Amazon, etc...

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

I feel like the movie industry is going through the same stages the music industry went through before finally giving in iTunes, Amazon, etc...

No, this is a whole different thing, they are specifically avoiding ceding control to third parties and given the two industries, in spite of seeming similar to most people, are actually vastly different in business terms (I work in one of them) you can't really call whether they will succeed or not based on what happened to the music industry.

The market is going to continue to fragment in to different services. Then conglomerates will start combining the fragments again. Actually, this is already happening.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So has anyone tried Locast?

http://locast.org

It only works in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Denver.

All you need is a compatible browser (Google Chrome works great for me, won't work in Safari) on a Mac/PC, or download the iOS / Android client.

Lets you watch local broadcast channels (for each market) without having to set up goofy TV tuner and antenna.

Pros:
Crisp clear signal
Decent resolution
Free as in beer!
Closed captioning on iOS/Android client

Cons:
No Closed Captioning on browser
It's live video.. no play/pause, only mute and window/fullscreen toggle
10 second commercial that plays every time you start or change shows/channels

Seems that because they're giving away the video instead of charging, nobody's tried to bring them down like they did Aereo. Yet.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Binary Badger posted:

All you need is a compatible browser (Google Chrome works great for me, won't work in Safari) on a Mac/PC, or download the iOS / Android client.

Android client is incompatible with ShieldTV :downs:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

http://locast.org

It only works in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Denver.

Lets you watch local broadcast channels (for each market) without having to set up goofy TV tuner and antenna.

Pros:
Crisp clear signal
Decent resolution
Free as in beer!
Closed captioning on iOS/Android client

Cons:
No Closed Captioning on browser
It's live video.. no play/pause, only mute and window/fullscreen toggle
10 second commercial that plays every time you start or change shows/channels

Seems that because they're giving away the video instead of charging, nobody's tried to bring them down like they did Aereo. Yet.

That makes it seem like they're skirting the law; they actually exist within a provision in copyright law for nonprofit organizations to provide “translator” TV stations as a public service.

I heard they are spending a lot more than they are getting in charitable donations, however, so it's possible this is an "enjoy it before it's gone" thing

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also forgot to mention that if you watch it for too long in the browser they break in with a commercial that says 'we see you've been watching a lot of locast' and beg you to become a member.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new DirecTV NOW packages with fewer channels for more money start later this week

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/here-is-every-channel-directv-now-plus-directv-now-max-offer/

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

The new DirecTV NOW packages with fewer channels for more money start later this week

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/here-is-every-channel-directv-now-plus-directv-now-max-offer/

AT&T management is just crushing it lately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rastor posted:

2 years ago I subbed for the $35 + $5 HBO plan. They already increased it to $45 and now it’s going to $55. So long DirectvNow!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FCKGW posted:

2 years ago I subbed for the $35 + $5 HBO plan. They already increased it to $45 and now it’s going to $55. So long DirectvNow!

Same and every March I'm like "maybe this year I'll be able to watch the Mariners"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DTVN decide I'm an AT&T user (I'm not) so I only pay $15 + $5 HBO, so I'm not switching.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Sucks that I'm basically tied to them because of 5$ hbo and MSG.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My wife exclusively watches DIY which is only put in the add-on or higher package tiers of all the streaming services so I probably won't get away with paying any less anyways :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Somewhat ironically Philo, known as the cheap/alternative service, has both DIY and HGTV. Plus FYI, which also has a few house flipping/renovating shows.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm old enough to remember when AT&T said buying Time Warner would let them lower prices and improve customer choice.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FCKGW posted:

Wow, that's what I'm paying for regular Directv.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rastor posted:

Somewhat ironically Philo, known as the cheap/alternative service, has both DIY and HGTV. Plus FYI, which also has a few house flipping/renovating shows.

Yeah, I've been using https://www.suppose.tv to compare plans and Philio actually seems like the best bang for your buck right now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Philo has like 100% of the renovation house flipping shows but like 0% of the catty housewives table flipping shows

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well.. I was comparing different services, I guess DirecTV now is off the table.

I was willing to put up with their lovely 20 hour Cloud DVR in exchange for having the AMC/Discovery/Scripps/Viacom channels. But I am not paying $10 more for less.... even with HBO.

Is there any notable reason to get Playstation Vue over YouTube TV? Those are what I am between now.

I'm losing DirecTV satellite service at the end of the month, so need to find an alternative

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve heard that Vue’s service is pretty rock solid, never any downtime or buffering. Their biggest drawback was their entry level package (which had a lot of channels to justify their price) was higher than everyone else but they’ve stayed the same while all the other services got more expensive.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vue has good integration/support in Amazon Fire TV devices

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I used Suppose with my dad and it seems like he needs YouTube TV. He has an apple TV for the main TV, but it isn't available on the fire TV built-in to the small TV they use. I'm thinking a Roku would be best then, but it looks like there are tons of them. It looks like there are actually devices that are cheaper than the Sticks which is surprising. Any advice?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roku Express if you want the cheapest option or Premier+ if you want a voice remote.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there an ideal streaming device for the best possible performance for apps for cord cutting?

In my experience... I've just used Roku devices. I have a Roku Ultra, a Roku 2, and a TCL 2018 6 Series with the Roku OS built in. I also have a LG OLED TV, which has pretty decent apps. I'd say the Roku Premiere is the best in terms of speed and responsiveness, followed closely by the LG OLED built in apps. Then a tie for the Roku 2/TLC Roku OS. And then a bunch of other stuff which I think is crap, like my Sony Bluray Player's interface.

But is there is any other device that offers performance better than the Roku Ultra in terms of speed/responsiveness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The AppleTV 4K.