Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

ekuNNN posted:

A Toxic, Illegal Garbage Dump in Arkansas Has Been on Fire For 7 Straight Months
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-toxic-illegal-garbage-dump-in-arkansas-has-been-on-fire-for-7-straight-months
Updated

quote:

Editor's note (8 March 2019): A former version of this article talked about the fire being toxic, which was not correct. The dumping site was also incorrectly described as a 'garbage dump'. The headline and article have been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:gary::horse::yarg:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So... what exactly happened? Guy just missed the bridge and miraculously managed to end up on the train tracks instead of the water?

He had the yodeling guy song from The Price is Right stuck on loop the whole way down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

count_von_count posted:

In his defense, he was only called in after the captain tried to do it himself and hosed it up.

Why were there batteries below the toilet in the first place? I know space is tight on a sub, but there has to be a better way to organize things.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cojawfee posted:

Why were there batteries below the toilet in the first place? I know space is tight on a sub, but there has to be a better way to organize things.

I think with the amount of batteries a WWII sub required they were below pretty much everything on the ship.

I will certainly grant that "batteries come in contact with sea water" is a situation that should be planned for in a ship surrounded by sea water and with a high likelihood of taking battle damage.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Lol, ah, a non-toxic fire. Ah, a place where you dump non-garbage in a way that's not against the law.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I will certainly grant that "batteries come in contact with sea water" is a situation that should be planned for in a ship surrounded by sea water and with a high likelihood of taking battle damage.

there's really not much you can do about it, submarines are inherently OSHA as hell

german subs especially were way smaller than you think since they didn't typically cross an entire ocean like american subs (some did though, german subs hosed up the coast of north carolina)

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 12, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

azurite posted:

Lol, ah, a non-toxic fire. Ah, a place where you dump non-garbage in a way that's not against the law.

Please. “Informally discarding unwanted materials.” Beautiful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VoWrp7Kxg&t=31s

no one died but that could not have been fun times

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

luxury handset posted:

there's really not much you can do about it, submarines are inherently OSHA as hell

german subs especially were way smaller than you think since they didn't typically cross an entire ocean like american subs (some did though, german subs hosed up the coast of north carolina)

We sank 4 u-boats off of NC, and traded ~400 ships and thousands of crew to do so. Of those, 3 lie close enough to the surface to be reached by divers; on one of them, divers actually got into the sub and too the Enigma machine. It now sits at the Graveyard of the Atlantic museum, but that dive manages to present every type of “no loving way” criteria diving has.

Deep? Check (~110ft). Gas narcosis is likely at this depth, even with a higher-grade nitrox mix. O2 and N2 are narcotic along the same cellular pathways, so changing the percentages doesn’t have a terribly big effect on that aspect of this hell-dive.
High current? Check. The area is notorious for that, and it also being semi-unpredictable. You don’t get a name like Graveyard of the Atlantic because it’s a happy fun place to be on the water.
Low vis? Check. That’s related to high current above, plus a sandy bottom (really an issue across all of NC diving).
Wreck penetration? Check. All subs are cramped as gently caress to be in without 60lbs of dive gear on, even if you’re floating through instead of walking.
Wreck at odd angle? Check. That wreck lists about 45 degrees, so when you get inside your brain will be the referee in a fight between your visual cues and your ears telling you when you’re level; the visual cues will also change once you turn around. Wrecks at any angle other than straight up are deceptively deadly to divers. Was the high side on your left or right as you went in? Which way are the bubbles going, and why is it different than what I thought was “up”? I hear seeing a staircase in any orientation other than the one it was built as is a gigantic brain-bender, especially if you’re already deep (no time to wonder, based on gas consumption and no deco limits) and half-narc’ed.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

azurite posted:

CONTINUING UPDATE: It's fine. Actually, we all love the fire. In fact the smokes and fumes are good to breathe, to me

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/YxVknYs.gifv

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The googles would do something here, please remember to always wear eyepro.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Shouldn't he also be wearing some sort of protection for his forearms?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Shouldn't he be wearing some sort of protection?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
OSHA aside, that's kinda impressive how fast he can eyeball the centre of the pane for the suction cup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Serephina posted:

OSHA aside, that's kinda impressive how fast he can eyeball the centre of the pane for the suction cup.

It's not like it has to be exactly in the center.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Serephina posted:

Watch real closely. He orients the cutting tool at 9 o'clock (from his perspective), places the cutting head as close as he can get to one edge, holds the suction cup in place, swings the cutter 90 degrees to 6 o'clock, and adjusts it along the 6-12 axis so the head hits the edge there too. He's effectively measuring the distance from the edge to the center in two perpendicular axes, so as long as the glass is square and he's pretty good about hitting 90 degrees of rotation, that maneuver will locate the center every time.

:science: Geometry

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sagebrush posted:

Watch real closely. He orients the cutting tool at 9 o'clock (from his perspective), places the cutting head as close as he can get to one edge, holds the suction cup in place, swings the cutter 90 degrees to 6 o'clock, and adjusts it along the 6-12 axis so the head hits the edge there too. He's effectively measuring the distance from the edge to the center in two perpendicular axes, so as long as the glass is square and he's pretty good about hitting 90 degrees of rotation, that maneuver will locate the center every time.

:science: Geometry

Didn't notice him doing the first alignment, well spotted.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/mymixtapez/status/1105147366938738689?s=09

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47531957

If you're not loving over the insurance company, they are loving over you!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess you could say she's a pretty hands-off fraudster.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

quote:

Vernon, Florida (film)

Vernon, Florida is a 1981 documentary film produced and directed by Errol Morris profiling various residents living within the town of Vernon, Florida. Originally titled Nub City, this follow-up to Gates of Heaven initially focused on residents of the Southern town who cut off their own limbs as a way to collect insurance money. After Morris's life was threatened by the subjects of the film, he re-worked Nub City into Vernon, Florida.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon,_Florida_(film)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I give 50/50 odds she turns out all right

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 12, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Powershift posted:

That’s a poor attempt at a pun. Guess you, like her, were stumped.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You’re struggling with puns. Do you need a hand with them?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47531957

If you're not loving over the insurance company, they are loving over you!

So THIS is why there's the double.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-018/

No doubt Memento had already posted this, I'll delete it if that's the case.

I havent read the whole article yet, but the driver of the BHP runaway train that got deliberately derailed has been found innocent of any wrongdoing.

E: beat him to it. Yay.

Automatic Retard fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 12, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It was posted in the train thread I think. Long story short, the electric brakes automatically turn off after an hour to save power. But that doesn't trigger the manual brakes.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Oh cool. I'm not a trainfuckler so I've never been in that thread.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, how much did the brakes save?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, at this point you could point out that every savings over every train over their entire lifetimes would have been orders of magnitude less than the $300million that the accident cost.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, at this point you could point out that every savings over every train over their entire lifetimes would have been orders of magnitude less than the $300million that the accident cost.
Yeah but the numbnut who decided on the cost saving measure's already hit their quarterly targets and collected their bonus so GREAT SUCCESS

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
At about 0502, the driver of the empty ore train (M02727) stopped at Garden South, contacted Hedland control advising that the Redmont gang had mistakenly applied handbrakes to his train rather than to train M02712.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

drat, I saw a guy using an electric scooter to pull his wheelchair down the sidewalk last night and I thought that dude was living in the year 3000..

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Splicer posted:

I give 50/50 odds she turns out all right

:hmmyes:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Imagine the amount of glass shards in his pockets.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powershift posted:

You gotta hand it to the authorities for not leaving her out on a limb:

quote:

Officials say the group left the severed hand behind rather than bring it to hospital, to ensure the disability was permanent. But the authorities recovered it in time to sew it back on.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well it's like ol red green used to say, if you can't be handsome, be handless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1105128898134769664