Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tips posted:

Grotesque furry bait is a time honored institution of WRPGs.

The sexy dancing zebra centaur (?) poster on the wall in the Ultima 6 intro sends its regards.

i had no idea what you were talking about, holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

corn in the bible posted:

i had no idea what you were talking about, holy poo poo lol

Fun fact: this is because one of the regular Origin coders for years was a dude who went by Dr. Cat, who later helped develop a weird little online game called "Furcadia", and about half of you just began nodding as everything clicked.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

END ME SCOOB posted:

Fun fact: this is because one of the regular Origin coders for years was a dude who went by Dr. Cat, who later helped develop a weird little online game called "Furcadia", and about half of you just began nodding as everything clicked.

Yup. That did it for me. Thanks for the enlightening explanation.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEUy99_Ypg8

Has FLOPPOTRON played any memetic tunes from Anthem? Are there any memetic tunes fr I think not. :smug:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Alright, so next week's patch includes some stuff I genuinely look forward to. Specifically, the energy weapon changes. I never played FO1/2, so 3 was my introduction to the series. And from the moment I picked up my first laser rifle and critted a super mutant into ashes I was hooked. It only got worse when I found the Q-35 matter modulator in New Vegas, and everything after that became goo. So much goo.

That said, tonight I logged in after a long while and was pleasantly surprised. I only encountered two minor bugs (Some dead enemies T-Posing, and a workshop was broken and had enemy markers that didn't exist). The all-pervasive lag I got as recently as a month ago was entirely gone. There were no disconnects or server crashes, so I was able to stay on the one server the entire time.

If they'd fix those last few minor issues then I might almost say the game could be called no longer being in beta.

It still lacks horribly in content, the weapon customization and collection system is still a horrendous grind, the story is still just as bad as ever and the game world still feels lifeless and dead. But despite all that, the game is slowly progressing. If they actually get some content out there and make learning weapon/armor mods not godawful then this game could be reasonably playable by mid-summer.

It's a drat shame they rushed it as hard as they did. If they'd have spent 3 extra months working on all these bug fixes and stability issues, and had some actual testing going on to catch some of the more egregious exploits before they went live, this game might have been able to launch with a 75 on metacritic easily.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game is only more stable because no one is playing it. Bravo todd

That said, the real bravo todd would be enough people coming back for the stability to go to poo poo again, and then everyone leaving again, and so on

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I do wonder what the server population is at this point. I don’t think any of it is cross platform and leaks in trophy data on ps4 was showing less than a million copies played. I bet this goes down to like sub 1000 players at times. Platform specific. Imagine that their next big thing is a second game mode.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

The game is only more stable because no one is playing it.

Yep, you're almost certainly correct about that. Still, at least it means that things are better for me as a result

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Much like the Highlander, there can only be one player for this to be a good game.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I am realizing now for the first time in 20 years that that centaur is a dude and not a sexy horse lady like my 6th grade self imagined.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Who was responsible for the weird lion centaur people in Quest for Glory

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Who was responsible for the weird lion centaur people in Quest for Glory

Either Lori Ann Cole or Corey Cole - they were co-designers for the series the whole way through. Probably Lori as Corey did more programming.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Oh... OH

Dr. Cat NO

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is not something I wanted to find out

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ulmont posted:

Either Lori Ann Cole or Corey Cole - they were co-designers for the series the whole way through. Probably Lori as Corey did more programming.

Absolutely was:

Corey Cole posted:

We skipped a year between QfG2 and QfG3 because Lori and I switched over to educational games. I designed Castle of Dr. Brain and led the programming teams for all three educational projects. The others were Lori's Mixed-Up Fairy Tales and Gano Haine's and Jane Jensen's EcoQuest. That was their first game at Sierra; they worked as writers before that.

I helped Lori design the main story of Quest for Glory 3, but then Sierra assigned me to port their SCI engine to the Sega Genesis CD. Unfortunately, a shortcut taken by another programmer hid a major problem which eventually forced us to cancel that project. In the meantime, Lori was both directing QfG3 and her point-and-click redesign of QfG1.

I finally got on QfG3 near the end of the project. I wrote some text messages and dialogue, edited Lori's work, and playtested the game. But Lori did 90%+ of the design work.

As for the game setting, that was suggested by one of our co-workers. Having spent a year without a Quest for Glory, we wanted to give players something less intense than we planned for Shadows of Darkness, so the idea of setting a game in Africa sounded perfect. Lori loves creating characters and filling out their stories, so the chance to work with Rakeesh and Uhura again was a great opportunity. I think that QfG3 is one of the best in terms of telling a story.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I liked Quest for Glory. Even 3

but not 5. never 5

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'll stand up for 5 as a good capper on the series. 4 is always gonna be my weak point due to the incredibly buggy initial release.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But its so good though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I may just like the narrator

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

Absolutely was:

since rakeesh originated in qfg2 that's not really proof of whose idea they were in the first place, but i guess maybe the fact 3 focuses so much on them is evidence lori liked them

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

since rakeesh originated in qfg2 that's not really proof of whose idea they were in the first place, but i guess maybe the fact 3 focuses so much on them is evidence lori liked them

I feel like designing the whole culture is definitely her thing, before that they were just "hey, here's a creature from another land"

ZeusCannon posted:

I may just like the narrator

Here's the secret: there isn't a bad QfG game

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

:aaaaa: whoa

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I was never good at QfG games. I played them like traditional RPGs and tried to accumulate experience points but didn't train skills up, so I eventually got horribly outclassed by monsters and died a ton.

I haven't played any in decades, though. Maybe I should give them a try now

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

END ME SCOOB posted:

...well...

ZeusCannon posted:

but not 5. never 5

This is correct.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

DebonaireD posted:

I am realizing now for the first time in 20 years that that centaur is a dude and not a sexy horse lady like my 6th grade self imagined.

It's not but, you can talk about it here if you want :-)

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I played all the QfG games back then, and... somehow... 5 is my favorite. I think I was just at the right age and was so amped up for it. No idea.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE updated again. I'm assuming it breaks all our mods again until someone else checks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE updated again. I'm assuming it breaks all our mods again until someone else checks.

Itll break script extenders if they edited the exe

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huh probably just a destabilizer for 4 so we are forced to migrate to 76.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Itll break script extenders if they edited the exe

They did. Remember kids:

1) Set updates in the game's Steam properties to 'Only update this game when I launch it'.
2) Run F4SE (maybe it has to be through your mod manager) and Fallout 4 won't update.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wrong thread, but some new stuff

https://twitter.com/bethesdastudios/status/1105921718885986305?s=21

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

a bad company posted:

New Features: Brewing and Distilling – AVAILABLE NOW – Go on a new quest to discover the secrets of the forbidden brew Nukashine and bring the party back to your C.A.M.P with new brewing and distilling systems and recipes.
New Seasonal Event: Fasnacht Parade – AVAILABLE MARCH 19 – Chase away Old Man Winter and quicken the coming of spring with the ancient festival of Fasnacht! Join the celebration and complete this new limited-time event to earn unique rewards in the form of festive Fasnacht Masks.
New Game Mode: Survival – AVAILABLE MARCH 26 – This all-new game mode brings a higher-stakes PvP experience with fewer restrictions, increased rewards, and new challenges plus all the original content of Adventure Mode.
New Features: C.A.M.P. Decorating, Player Vending, Functional Camera – AVAILABLE APRIL – Use items from your stash to decorate your C.A.M.P. Build vending machines and flag items for sale. Simply set your prices and walk away to continue your adventures in Appalachia, being sure to capture all your favorite memories using the new functional camera. The vending machines do all the work, you just need to count the caps.
New Quests: Shear Terror! – AVAILABLE APRIL 9 – Uncover the ‘encryptid’ secrets of Appalachia in a new series of quests and encounters to separate monsters from myths.
New Features: Legendary Vendor and Scrapping – AVAILABLE MAY – Locate the mysterious Purveyor to exchange and scrap your unwanted legendary items for new legendary gear. For every star rating on a legendary item you scrap, increase your chances to get the legendary weapon or armor of your dreams.
New Quests: Ever Upwards – AVAILABLE MAY 7 – Journey to the deepest reaches of the woods with new stories for the legendary Pioneer Scouts. Earn merit badges, climb the ranks, and earn a customizable backpack for increased utility.

lmao that they're drip feeding this cornucopia of content through loving may

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Legendary scrapping IN MAY. L M A O. How has that not been patched in already?????

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

No Mods No Masters posted:

lmao that they're drip feeding this cornucopia of content through loving may

I don't think they mentioned that in the trailer

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard to believe the todd squad would promulgate disingenuous marketing materials. But it may have happened in this single, isolated case

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

dont be mean to me posted:

They did. Remember kids:

1) Set updates in the game's Steam properties to 'Only update this game when I launch it'.
2) Run F4SE (maybe it has to be through your mod manager) and Fallout 4 won't update.

It's getting increasingly hard to stop steam from automatically screwing up your games though. Hopefully this method still works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
None of those features really scream Fallout to me. Then again, Bethesda has always said they don't give two shits about consistency in Fallout and just use the setting to try out random crap.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Arcsquad12 posted:

None of those features really scream Fallout to me. Then again, Bethesda has always said they don't give two shits about consistency in Fallout and just use the setting to try out random crap.

It almost makes one wonder why they bothered buying the IP in the first place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Deadguy2322 posted:

It almost makes one wonder why they bothered buying the IP in the first place.

Fallout 3 is kind of lame but you get the feeling, when playing it, that people who worked on it played and/or liked Fallout to some degree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Fallout 3 is kind of lame but you get the feeling, when playing it, that people who worked on it played and/or liked Fallout to some degree

In a sort of cargo cultish way, yeah.