Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It takes a pretty long time to lock yourself out of the first ending so don't sweat it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the ending is almost exactly the same as another ending you can't lock yourself out of so the only reason to care is if you really want an achievement.

Also there is no "right" path. The game is really non linear.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

... the only reason to care is if you really want an achievement.

Yeah. I think this is one of the rare few games I actually care about 100% (112%?) completion, so I'm gonna go for everything I can. The three dreamers have also shown up on my map now too and I've got the non-lethal lightsaber, so I think I can probably go and smash them out and then go into the egg temple, where I imagine the final boss lives.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 14, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'll start posting in here instead of bothering the Switch thread lol, I was surprised this thread was still active.

I'm at the butt end of my first run, just wrapping up loose ends and trying to get everything upgraded. Had to break out a wiki for some of it and I missed some really essential poo poo, like Sly's stock room key.

Anyway I'm working on the second trial of the arena right now and it's kicking my rear end - I just barely got to the boss last night but I really struggle getting through there with enough soul left to survive. What charms did you guys favor for the arena? I've been switching around between a few set-ups when the last one fails and I've found I've been keeping Nailmaster's Glory, Sharp Shadow, and Lifeblood Core, occasionally switching in Quickslash+Mark of Pride or building for spells. I'm starting to wonder if Lifeblood Core is really worth it for the arena, those 4 masks go really quick and then you have 4 slots doing nothing for you...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lifeblood core is not the play!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does Heavy Blow have any real utility? I haven't tried it yet but if it does what it says I could imagine it synergizing well with quickslash+range extenders

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you want a health-related charm for the Colosseum I really liked Quick Focus. People really like Shape of Unn too but I don't think it's necessary, just wait to heal in between waves.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
No, I don't think Heavy Blow helps at all. I'm hoping that you just forgot to add Grubsong to your list, because there's never any reason not to always have Grubsong on. Other than that, it's really just down to playstyle. My advice is to pick either a nail-focused build (Quick Slash + Mark of Pride) or a magic-focused build (Shaman Stone + Spell Twister) and stick with it. Practice is more important than anything, so if you're constantly changing up your charm outfit it's going to be hard to get used to something. You might also consider (if you have enough notches at this point) to use Quick Focus and Deep Focus together. It's a whopping seven notches, but with Grubsong you're almost invincible because you can outheal any damage (pretty sure nothing in the second trial hits for two masks). I think Quick Focus is probably enough and it might be easier, but QF+DF is pretty foolproof.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The only reason I'm forgoing Grubsong in the arena is I'm doing my best (albeit poorly) to just not get hit. And that means I'm missing out on free soul when I inevitably do get hit but i view it as good habit-building if I ever decide to bang my head against trial of the fool - as in just getting used to having as much soul as I normally would if Grubsong wasn't procc'ing on me. That's probably a dumb notion but I am not a clever man.

e. honestly I think I might be missing a notch or two, I need to count how many I have later tonight and find out what I'm missing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I used Quick Focus a lot during my first playthrough but on the second I almost never equipped it and I didn't miss it at all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i still can't really believe people actually get any use out of shape of unnnnh. It's like a whole new mechanic to learn and gently caress up with and even then it might not be optimal. Respect if you can do it but it seems way too hard.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1105485816791367680

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1105526431637893120

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Didn't everyone just want a grub plushie

What's all this other stuff

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

i still can't really believe people actually get any use out of shape of unnnnh. It's like a whole new mechanic to learn and gently caress up with and even then it might not be optimal. Respect if you can do it but it seems way too hard.

Yea I could never get the hang of it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

Didn't everyone just want a grub plushie

What's all this other stuff

a friend got me a grub plushie for Christmas and was horribly anxious about getting a grown man a stuffed animal as a gift

i'm like "are you kidding me i love this, it's perfect"

the best part is she didn't even have any context for what collecting grubs means in the game, so i'm just waiting for her to finish it and find out :v:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

No Wave posted:

it’s pretty easy, you just turn small when you’re focusing and can move left and right. if you have quick focus you move really fast too. it goes under a surprising amount of stuff.

e: though usually i use it as an alternative to quick focus for certain fights.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shape of Unn felt borderline required for Nightmare King Grimm when I beat that fight, but I've been able to get by without it for most other battles.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a friend got me a grub plushie for Christmas and was horribly anxious about getting a grown man a stuffed animal as a gift

i'm like "are you kidding me i love this, it's perfect"

the best part is she didn't even have any context for what collecting grubs means in the game, so i'm just waiting for her to finish it and find out :v:
nice! i didnt realize they actually stocked them, for a while it was an old pre order bonus.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

My Trial recommendation is a pure damage build. Any combination of Fragile/Unbreakable Strength, Quickslash, Mark of Pride/Longnail, Dreamshield, Dream Wielder, and Nailmaster's Glory. Grubsong if you have any space left over. Maybe Sharp Shadow if you're used to the increased dash length.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

My standard charm loadouts are Mark of Pride, Sharp Shadow, Quick Focus or Shape of Unn, Unbreakable Strength, Grubsong if there's 1 space left. Swap the healing charms with Quickslash if I'm doing easy fights. Swap unbreakable strength for the other one of Focus/Unn if it's a harder fight where having both will let me heal a lot more.

Sharp Shadow is a charm I've really come to enjoy. I first only used it against NKG because it was an easy way to get a lot more hits in, but after using it against Pure Vessel (and all the fights leading up to Pure Vessel in the Pantheon) I've found that it's really nice to have and helps give you that extra edge for passing through big attacks/enemies and dealing damage.

Shape of Unn is sometimes just a 2-slot quick focus with less upside but there's a handful of attacks where it'll let you safely heal where quick focus can't, and some of them are in fights where there is very little downtime and it's hard to heal at all without it. It's not that hard to use either, basically if you can dodge an attack by just walking (Like NKGs fire pillar attack or the Watcher Knights jumping spin) you can dodge it while healing with Unn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Traitor Lord just gonna come out of nowhere and be the hardest boss in the game huh

Unbreakable strength + quick slash + stalwart shell + grub & thorns, can't make a dent in this guy even with a pure nail. I get that you're supposed to shade cloak through him but he seems to throw out attacks faster than your shade can regenerate.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Traitor Lord just gonna come out of nowhere and be the hardest boss in the game huh

Unbreakable strength + quick slash + stalwart shell + grub & thorns, can't make a dent in this guy even with a pure nail. I get that you're supposed to shade cloak through him but he seems to throw out attacks faster than your shade can regenerate.

He only has one attack that you have to shade cloak through (it’s really obvious when he uses it). The rest you can dodge, although it does take quite a lot of practice.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Jump diagonally away from him whenever he does any attack then move back towards him at the apex of your jump so you travel in a \ line, and downslash to pogo off his head or dash over him, depending. This dodges both his jump/dive attack and his dash which is what he uses 90% of the time when you're close, gives you chances to hit him, and doesn't expose you to his giant shockwave or boomerangs attack with plenty of time to react and adjust.

The buffed Traitor Lord is definitely one of the tougher fights in the main game though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Deified Data posted:

He used to be extremely easy, but they buffed him and IMO went too far. Now I find him borderline impossible to fight normally. The cheeseball strat I used on playthrough #2 still works, though, which I know because I did it again a week or two ago:

Make sure you have the upgraded hadouken. Use Flukenest and Shaman Stone, along with whatever else you want. It's very easy to hit him with all the flukes, and with the upgraded spell and Shaman Stone they do a crazy amount of damage. It's not enough to kill him, but it will get him really close.

My other piece of advice, if you have enough Essence to have it, is to put a Dreamgate right before him. It's a long, tricky run back, and having to make it over and over again is soul crushing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean he guards half of an object where the other half is guarded by the hardest platforming in the game short of the Path of Pain.. He should be harder. :colbert:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
The scale of this game is mental. I went into the Royal Waterways last night expecting to come out with a double jump because I've seen a lot of things I can't quite make with just the dash. Ended up getting sidetracked, fought the Dung Defender, found Flukemarm (and gave up, those flying things are fast), found and escaped the Junk Pit (without unlocking whatever the thing in there is, had no key), and got Isma's Tear.

I also found a big drop with lots (lots) of spikes all the way down that led to a sort of grey-brown area, but I ended up exiting the game and going to bed before I went too far that way so I'm still none the wiser as to what that was.

There must be some serious sequence breaking possible in this game because I just found out that you can get to the Resting Grounds from just above the charms lady.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can reach the Resting Grounds and get the Dream Nail before fighting the False Knight if you're willing to grind some Geo.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Surprise T Rex posted:

The scale of this game is mental.

Yeah. World size obviously isn't everything in a game and often less is more, but in HK's case I think the sheer enormity of the map is a large contributor to its success design-wise. The game wants you to get lost - the map system alone is evidence of that - and the world needs to be big enough to facilitate that. There is so much to discover and stumble on and wonder about and go back to later, it's overwhelming in the best possible way. My first ten hours or so with HK were sort of tentative and I wasn't really sure I liked it. It was when I got to the City of Tears that it hit me just how deep the rabbit hole goes and I think once I realized that, I was all in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Surprise T Rex posted:

I also found a big drop with lots (lots) of spikes all the way down that led to a sort of grey-brown area, but I ended up exiting the game and going to bed before I went too far that way so I'm still none the wiser as to what that was.

Go down there sometime, you won't be disappointed.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Glare Seethe posted:

My first ten hours or so with HK were sort of tentative and I wasn't really sure I liked it. It was when I got to the City of Tears that it hit me just how deep the rabbit hole goes and I think once I realized that, I was all in.

I felt the same way. In games I have a compulsion to check every branching path, and that's not easy in Hollow Knight. I think I've slowly come to let that go and just do what I can to explore, knowing that I've got plenty of chances to check out the rest of the map later.

C-Euro posted:

Go down there sometime, you won't be disappointed.

I don't trust this.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
This game is fantastic. I bought it on switch because I’ve heard good about it but I wasn’t convinced I was going to like it since I am not that big a fan of platform stuff. But I am in love with everything: the music, the simple but beautiful graphics, the mechanics, the lore. I’ve tried to stay away from too many spoilers so when I first completed the game after 25 hours of game time I thought I had seen most of the stuff but I only have around 75% done - which simply means I get to spend more hours in this lovely universe.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

He used to be extremely easy, but they buffed him and IMO went too far. Now I find him borderline impossible to fight normally. The cheeseball strat I used on playthrough #2 still works, though, which I know because I did it again a week or two ago:

Make sure you have the upgraded hadouken. Use Flukenest and Shaman Stone, along with whatever else you want. It's very easy to hit him with all the flukes, and with the upgraded spell and Shaman Stone they do a crazy amount of damage. It's not enough to kill him, but it will get him really close.

My other piece of advice, if you have enough Essence to have it, is to put a Dreamgate right before him. It's a long, tricky run back, and having to make it over and over again is soul crushing.

That really works? In about how many shots? I have 2 additional soul container things and if all I have to do is empty that into him I think i can win.

Nothing cheesy about making use of charm combos lol, I will 100% try this when I get home.

And yeah I absolutely have the Dreamgate, the demoralizing effect of that boss run in addition to its difficulty would make it virtually impossible without it - don't know how people played this game before it was added.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Traitor lord was easy for a long time post-dream gate. I liked how easy he was, the huge buff is one thing I'll disagree with TC on.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
has anyone had any success with overloading charms? i guess someone who's good at not getting hit would...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine it being worth it honestly, outside of those one-hit KO fights or Fury of the Fallen shenanigans, which is probably intended.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Surprise T Rex posted:

I don't trust this.

You have to do it to beat the game unless you know what you're doing :ssh: Also if you do it before beating the boss in another area you get a really satisfying character moment during that boss fight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Traitor Lord is a fantastic boss in his new form, I don't think he's too hard at all. You basically just bounce on his head till he does one of his tells, dash away, and then do it again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd say my biggest issue with him seems to be that his range for switching to ranged attacks seems to be the exact range of your dash, so any time I make what to me feels like a conservative dash through him he's started his shockwave attack already and my shade is never ready for that by the time the shockwave hits me. His timing is like perfectly tuned to be as aggravating to me as possible lol

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I was helped by switching to double jumping (or jumping and dashing above) over him instead of trying to dash all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I think traitor lords buff hurts Cloths story line closure. Her uselessness gets highlighted when the fight is actually actually difficult and I don’t think that is good for her character arc compared to how it went before.