Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
google amp is my pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's worth being more than a peeve. Companies like Google and Facebook trying to make their own version of the web is nuts and people shouldn't stand for it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
absolutely

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sometimes the route Google maps wants you to take is loving stupid and you have to make multiple alterations to it to get it to understand that you just want to go the simplest way.

Like, instead of going up one road, turning once and then going along another straight road it'll tell you to zig-zag the whole way. So you drag the route back to the straight road and it'll go "Oh, I see. You want to go 100 metres along that road then take a left, then a right, travel 3km on a parallel road and then take another right to get back onto the main road. Gotcha." No. What? Why? Who is this for? Or it'll be like "instead of turning right at the end of this street, turn one street earlier, then take a left and another right." No? I'm not doing that. No one is doing that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ugh yeah, that bitch kept sending me up a long beachfront road full of traffic circles to get to my friend's house. Then I looked into it, all I had to do was stay on the highway for another couple exits. Wtf?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Because the nerds that made the algorithm value speed over directness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Because the nerds that made the algorithm value speed over directness.

I wish they'd take "idiot drivers not understanding a traffic circle" into account. I swear I've never seen a simple geometric shape bring out the stupids in people like roundabouts do.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Indolent Bastard posted:

Chefs/cooks are notorious for never bucking tradition and experimenting. I understand your friends distress at someone messing with cultural heritage.

There are many Serbian/Croatian/Hungarian things that I could cook "authentically". People may not like them. They'd be either too bland, or too seasoned. For some, it would just taste strange unless you're used to it. Other things, would be an argument because some people like it a different way.

For authentic cooking arguments, I have to defer to Key and Peele. I used to argue with my grandpa and uncles about how to make cevapcici. No, not kebapi, not cevapi, it's cevapcici. Only a maniac would serve the onions with the meat. The onions go in the meat dammit. My recipe is the best and I don't serve it with Ajvar. I serve with Tkemali which is inauthentic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KiFON-GWg

Authenticity is a preference. Putting canned tuna into pico de gallo with a lot of Serranos was a thing that I used to eat all the time. Just eat it with chips or tortillas. I learned it from a lady that worked with me that was from Tijuana and spoke zero english. It sounds gross, but it's awesome. It's authentic as hell, but I've never seen anyone else do it. She'd often bring some in for lunch along with homemade tortillas and the best refried beans you've ever had.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Disgusting Coward posted:

Asking for directions in Britain is a loving nightmare. Everyone either Knows But Can't Express It, or Doesn't Know But Won't loving Leave It.

if someone stops me to ask for directions and I don't know, I will nod confidently and make something up, secure in the knowledge that I will never see them again and that i have avoided the ultimate English nightmare of a Mildly Awkward Conversation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I will repeatedly second-guess myself aloud until they drive on to the next person and ask them instead

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
People who quote massive blocks of text (looking at you r/relationships thread) and then just reply with ‘heh’ or something ridiculously short. Just quote the reddit thread title ffs. We all already read the post!

The YouTube comment format “I’m a simple man. I see [name of youtuber], I click”. It’s always one of the top voted comments on any video. No one cares and it’s not even original!

:argh:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I wish they'd take "idiot drivers not understanding a traffic circle" into account. I swear I've never seen a simple geometric shape bring out the stupids in people like roundabouts do.

Do they at least attempt to use it as a roundabout? There's one near me and people have no idea what it is, so it just gets treated as a regular two way street that happens to be in a circle. Everyone drives around in both directions and blocks each other so it's always packed full of cars that can't move anywhere, it's amazing to watch.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Nigel Tufnel posted:

People who quote massive blocks of text (looking at you r/relationships thread) and then just reply with ‘heh’ or something ridiculously short. Just quote the reddit thread title ffs. We all already read the post!

The YouTube comment format “I’m a simple man. I see [name of youtuber], I click”. It’s always one of the top voted comments on any video. No one cares and it’s not even original!

:argh:

Nope, I love the quotes posts. I’m usually on my phone and it saves time having to run it down in the app. My peeve is that I can’t copy/paste from the reddit app!

Edit: nope I’m an idiot, you meant the dumb shits that quote the original post in SA to comment “heh”. You’re absolutely right, 100% gently caress those people

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Twitter links instead of screencaps. I don’t use reddit or twitter but least reddit is semi-readable in a browser.

Also, any site that is unusable in a browser and spams you with app ads. SA has an app but if you go in a browser it just lets you be.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Twitter links get automatically embedded, though. A screencap shows less info and adds the extra step of manually searching for the user's name if I want to see more stuff from them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Twitter links get automatically embedded, though. A screencap shows less info and adds the extra step of manually searching for the user's name if I want to see more stuff from them.

yeah but if it's even remotely controversial, screencap it anyway. It happens all the time that people only post links and then when the backlash gets to be too much they just delete it, sometimes within minutes.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

areyoucontagious posted:

you meant the dumb shits that quote the original post in SA to comment “heh”. You’re absolutely right, 100% gently caress those people

:hai:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I hate that poo poo, too. Especially when it's a huge line of pictures and the comment is just as lacking in anything useful.

But, God forbid someone say anything, because then six jackasses who think they're funny all quote the super long poo poo.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Leavemywife posted:

I hate that poo poo, too. Especially when it's a huge line of pictures and the comment is just as lacking in anything useful.

But, God forbid someone say anything, because then six jackasses who think they're funny all quote the super long poo poo.

Posting that atlas shrugged monologue should earn the death penalty imo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Leavemywife posted:

This for really really really ridiculously tall image files as well. After the first time some dumbshit quotes it, I'll right-click>Block Element and let uBlock deal with it for me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Writers who can't loving cut to the chase. I'm translating some text for a media awards thing, and it's the most circuitous, long-winded, high-faluting bullshit I have had to translate outside of an academic context (academic work is notorious for this). Clauses upon clauses upon clauses that are nearly impossible to tease apart, and when you do, you realize the sentence is actually about very little. It's two lousy paragraphs about Pixel Ripped 1989, goddammit! Quit making up poo poo like "monumentality" and get to the point!

While I'm at it: Whistling in songs. I heard two different songs with extended whistling choruses (very twee) yesterday while out shopping. I know my misophonia automatically sours me on whistling, but does the world at large enjoy that poo poo?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not only do I love whistling, I love to whistle

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

While I'm at it: Whistling in songs. I heard two different songs with extended whistling choruses (very twee) yesterday while out shopping. I know my misophonia automatically sours me on whistling, but does the world at large enjoy that poo poo?

hi-five misophonia friend! whistling (and, tbh, people atonally singing along with music) is the worst poo poo in the world!!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I hate you!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

and I'm so good at whistling, too

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Whistling in pop songs can loving die.

Also that sound of liquid being poured in a glass, constantly used in soft drink commercials, scenes featuring champagne or whatever, just makes me want to rip my face off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Brawnfire posted:

I probably hate it so much because i can't do it (kind of unrelated but same with smoking cigars, my mouth just can't understand it no matter how simply people try to show me), but at least don't do it at work if you share an office. My officemate when he's "thinking" goes through a cycle of whistling, then drumming on his desk, then loudly "hmm"ing (not always in that order) and it is the worst.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I probably hate it so much because i can't do it (kind of unrelated but same with smoking cigars, my mouth just can't understand it no matter how simply people try to show me), but at least don't do it at work if you share an office. My officemate when he's "thinking" goes through a cycle of whistling, then drumming on his desk, then loudly "hmm"ing (not always in that order) and it is the worst.

I'm just a dad right now, but when I was working in food service people would legit freak out at you if you whistled so I learned to keep it at home, where my wife--who chose to be around me, mind you, for some reason--is the only one to slowly lose her grip.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why jump rope or do push ups at the gym. You have access to all this expensive equipment and you do something you can do anywhere for free. Stop jump roping and use the drat machines or weights.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mu Zeta posted:

Why jump rope or do push ups at the gym. You have access to all this expensive equipment and you do something you can do anywhere for free. Stop jump roping and use the drat machines or weights.

Is it just one part of their workout, or do they just come to the gym, jump rope, then leave?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Usually part of the workout. But still. Don't do push ups at the gym.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I'd rather see somebody doing pushups than doing curls in the squat rack.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Those sorts of assholes are the type who will stake out a rack or a cable station or something and then hoard a bench, a yoga mat, four sets of dumbbells, an ez bar, two cable attachments, and 15 plates to it and then just do their entire workout in “their” spot.

You can take two items at once max. If you have 15 sets before you get to x dumbbell or y attachment or need the only open squat rack, you LEAVE IT WHERE IT BELONGS/EMPTY, and work around if someone else is using it when you get to it.

Also, gently caress people who will “claim” a bench or rack or something by dumping a bag there and then going off.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Those sorts of assholes are the type who will stake out a rack or a cable station or something and then hoard a bench, a yoga mat, four sets of dumbbells, an ez bar, two cable attachments, and 15 plates to it and then just do their entire workout in “their” spot.

You can take two items at once max. If you have 15 sets before you get to x dumbbell or y attachment or need the only open squat rack, you LEAVE IT WHERE IT BELONGS/EMPTY, and work around if someone else is using it when you get to it.

Also, gently caress people who will “claim” a bench or rack or something by dumping a bag there and then going off.

All of the above, also PUT YOUR GODDAMNED WEIGHTS BACK.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
tuna in a can in sunflower oil or whatever kind of oil and it's impossible to open the can and drain it without getting oil on your hands

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A year ago, this gallery put out a call for art, so I submitted. They said they'd get back to me. Oh well.

A month ago, another call for art, I submit again. Utter silence this time.

What a loving piece of poo poo. I'm not stupid, I know that's a no. But there's so many ways to say that. No thank you, or we have all the submissions we require at this moment. Silence is such a gently caress you it makes my blood boil. I just want to shout at whoever is running this but I'm trying to leave it at "I'll take that as a no thank you" after a month of silence and hoping that speaks loudly enough.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

A year ago, this gallery put out a call for art, so I submitted. They said they'd get back to me. Oh well.

A month ago, another call for art, I submit again. Utter silence this time.

What a loving piece of poo poo. I'm not stupid, I know that's a no. But there's so many ways to say that. No thank you, or we have all the submissions we require at this moment. Silence is such a gently caress you it makes my blood boil. I just want to shout at whoever is running this but I'm trying to leave it at "I'll take that as a no thank you" after a month of silence and hoping that speaks loudly enough.

can we see your art?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ulex minor posted:

can we see your art?

Given this is SA I'm more than a little hesitant... I've already had my share of new ones be-torn.

Would you rather see samples of my illustration style (poster/cartoon/kid art)? Or the dorky abstract paintings I'm talking about shopping around in this post? They're rather different from each other.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ulex minor posted:

can we see your art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Say whatever you want about the movie but that's the part that made me guffaw my bowels out