Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Catalina posted:

Where's the best place to go from here? I'd like to know how to make a good team, and the mechanics of why.

Generally, for the Battle Tree in particular, you want to have one Pokémon that can hit physical, one Pokémon that can hit special, and one that can tank a hit reliably so you can switch comfortably. Try to make sure that if you have two Pokémon weak to an element, the third is resistant to it.

Because you only have three Pokémon, the team set-up is a bit different than in something like Smogon where you have six. You can’t really build a team that can deal with every situation, and having a specific Pokémon to check another specific threat like Smogon will suggest will take up your very limited space to counter a Pokémon that probably won’t even appear is not a good idea.

Items are really, really important, consumable items like Focus Sash or Lum Berries especially.

Finally, the Battle Tree can be a real grind, so don’t get discouraged if it takes a while. Part of a good run is just not running into the specific combination that hard counters your team. I eventually turned off animations, and a 40-win run could still take a long time. I like to listen to a podcast or watch a show while playing, so I don’t get too bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

I read something - here? - about someone borrowing a friend's 3DS to play a Pokemon game and running into an issue where it wanted to permanently bind his game cart info to the system hardware or some such roadblock. I don't remember it perfectly because I didn't really understand what the person was talking about, but now I'm in a similar situation, borrowing a 3DS to play OR and X. Is there anything I should know about this or will everything run smooth as can be? Perhaps I need to buy an independent SD card?

There shouldn't be any issue like that.
If you wanted to do like the ranked online battles you'd link the game cart/save to a pokemon global link account, but that service isn't even active for the ORAS and XY anymore.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
Alrighty, finally got my Ultra Sun. Monotype, Wonder Trade, or Nuzlocke run?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone have an HA Espurr or Meowstic? I would like to have one

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gruckles posted:

There shouldn't be any issue like that.
If you wanted to do like the ranked online battles you'd link the game cart/save to a pokemon global link account, but that service isn't even active for the ORAS and XY anymore.

Thanks dude. I'm diving in to the Hoenn region tonight then :getin:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fureil posted:

Alrighty, finally got my Ultra Sun. Monotype, Wonder Trade, or Nuzlocke run?

Monotype ghost and learn to loathe just how many mons have sucker punch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Monotype Normal or whatever's the most fun. idk.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The main issue you'll encounter now with switching X/Y/ORAS between systems is it will wipe your friends list. When you switch it back to the original system they'll be back on your list but as acquaintances instead until you're both online at the same time. This is mostly an issue for Friend Safari (X and Y) where you get extra shiny/HA chance and a 3rd mon that appears if you are friends rather than acquaintances and some similar Secret Base (ORAS) stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

i was going to use sobble but then i realized the rabbit is a brit child who probably teaches the others how to run and jump so now i’m going to name it harey gomm

ancient, tempered lol

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I've already done a Ghost monotype in Black 2, so for a monotype I'd probably pick a type I haven't done yet. I've done fighting, ghost, dark, dragon, and rock so far.

Xelkelvos posted:

Monotype Normal or whatever's the most fun. idk.

Normal could be fun as long as something has Scrappy or Foresight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fureil posted:

I've already done a Ghost monotype in Black 2, so for a monotype I'd probably pick a type I haven't done yet. I've done fighting, ghost, dark, dragon, and rock so far.

... Are you limiting your monotype runs to only use moves of their types? Because basically any combo of normal types you put together will have ghost/dark coverage between bite/thief/knock off etc.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fureil posted:

Odour Sleuth works well too. See a ghost and get spooked? Just give it a big ol' sniff. You know what they say, a sniffed ghost can't spook.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Fureil posted:

Try Fairy, that could be a fun run.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Normals got a ton of fun and fantastic mons in Alola.

Drampa, Bewear, Komala, Oranguru, Toucannon, Faticate...

If you want to mix in older mons you've also got evergreen choices in Staraptor, Snorlax, Wigglytuff, Cinccino, Pyroar etc.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Zore posted:

Normals got a ton of fun and fantastic mons in Alola.

Drampa, Bewear, Komala, Oranguru, Toucannon, Faticate...

If you want to mix in older mons you've also got evergreen choices in Staraptor, Snorlax, Wigglytuff, Cinccino, Pyroar etc.

Normal is my favorite type and I'm surprised I haven't done that yet. I think that's what I'll go for, but I will have to have a Ditto on my team as it is my favorite.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Do a monotype run, as in, all of your pokeymans can only have one type

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AjentVee/status/1105140688889565184

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
Woot I'm so close to finishing my living dex complete with regional, color, and sex variants :D

All I have left that I can get without buying us/um *grumbles* are the defense and speed forms of deoxys, celebi, manaphy, jirachi, the therian form of Tornadus, and magearna.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Can I chain for shinies in let's go in handheld mode? I'd love a shiny ponyta.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yep.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Can anyone good with statistics calculate the probability of this game's misses? I know it's Gen 1 but come on. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1randombattle-874990082

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aerofallosov posted:

Can I chain for shinies in let's go in handheld mode? I'd love a shiny ponyta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5-fpSylkjk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got around to reading about SOS battles and the mechanics behind them and the whole chaining for IVs and HAs and wow I hate all of it!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got around to reading about SOS battles and the mechanics behind them and the whole chaining for IVs and HAs and wow I hate all of it!

Well luckily Gen 8 will probably dump it in favor of something that's equally tedious.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Haha yeaahhhh....it's a huge steaming load of poo poo. Why the gently caress they dumped chaining mechanics from ORAS I'll never goddamn know.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

every morning i wake up wondering what sin mankind brought about that made god take away dexnav

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I really hope that our lass sneaking up on some unsuspecting poke was a variant of that.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

oddium posted:

every morning i wake up wondering what sin mankind brought about that made god take away dexnav

It's a pokemon standard to dump all the good poo poo from the previous gen and then stubbornly insist it's better this way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just want a cool and not totally terrible mechanic that helps increase the spawn rate of rare pokemon so I can continue building my Pokédex without spending an hour killing dumb poo poo because the right pokemon wont show up as an SOS assist god drat US is actually super loving bad.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just want a cool and not totally terrible mechanic that helps increase the spawn rate of rare pokemon so I can continue building my Pokédex without spending an hour killing dumb poo poo because the right pokemon wont show up as an SOS assist god drat US is actually super loving bad.

Fun fact. You need to be at least 10 pokemon into a chain before you start getting jack and poo poo and even then it's a hit and miss scenario. And I have no idea how they looked at the clean interface of dexnav and decided "nah gently caress that business entirely let's make it shoddy and obnoxious FOR THE CHALLENGE."

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 12, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flopsy posted:

Fun fact. You need to be at least 10 pokemon into a chain before you start getting jack and poo poo and even then it's a hit and miss scenario. And I have no idea how they looked at the clean interface of dexnav and decided "nah gently caress that business entirely let's make it shoddy and obnoxious FOR THE CHALLENGE."

Yeah the deeper I get into completing the Dex the more I kinda hate everything about it. The UI is super clunky, the entire SOS stuff is real bad, day/night cycle stuff makes sense so that’s fine. I’ll probably look as to how the breeding / ez leveling happens in this game so I can get some more dex entries that way and once all I have left is the annoying SOS poo poo I’ll move to another game or start rolling in wonder trades for new poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There is a reason I'm doing a lot of my non Gen 7 work for a living dex and breeding in ORAS. Hoenn isn't amazing but the QOL in ORAS is pretty good.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

My FireRed file is all about getting the original 150 on a single cart then working from there. I can't trade in anything that can be caught on the cartridge, and preferably version exclusives have to be fresh catches on my LeafGreen. Good times.

It kills me there's nothing I can buy online that will give me a clean Gen III Mew though. I have the Jirachi disk and that's it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Iirc, transferring from gen 3 to 4 en masse is a huge hassle, I would strongly reccomend the Virtyal Console games so you can just transfer via bank.
If you choose gen 2, you can even get celebi!

This does, of course, limit you To having to use an exploit to get Mew, but I don't believe that flags anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zedd posted:

There is a reason I'm doing a lot of my non Gen 7 work for a living dex and breeding in ORAS. Hoenn isn't amazing but the QOL in ORAS is pretty good.

Do they ever go on sale in the eshop or am I better off trying to find a used copy somewhere?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I traded to get all SOS exclusive Pokémon because screw that. I hope they dump the SOS mechanic and find a more elegant and straightforward way of hunting for hidden abilities, shinies, and/or rare species.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mizuti posted:

I traded to get all SOS exclusive Pokémon because screw that. I hope they dump the SOS mechanic and find a more elegant and straightforward way of hunting for hidden abilities, shinies, and/or rare species.

No need to hope for that, SOS is the exact kind of mechanic Game Freak likes to drop after one use. And thankfully in this case, because it's really bad.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Iirc, transferring from gen 3 to 4 en masse is a huge hassle, I would strongly reccomend the Virtyal Console games so you can just transfer via bank.
If you choose gen 2, you can even get celebi!

This does, of course, limit you To having to use an exploit to get Mew, but I don't believe that flags anything.

I have those! I'm playing Gen3 specifically because I can use my Gameboy Player through the cube. I found one of my wireless adapters, but it's useless without two. Would make trading so much easier.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, gameboy layering is a huge plus, you can also get some fun mons via Colosseum and Gale of Darkness that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I dig the hell out of the SOS system giving you a chance to encounter and catch a Lv 10 Salamence or Dragonite, but yeah, other than that, it was tedious trash.

Moriatti posted:

Unless things have changed, you straight up can't transfer the Mew from that exploit. From memory, they blocked any Mew that didn't have the specific data of the event they had in Japan for the VC games from being transferred.

They may have made some work on that exploit towards making exploit Mew functionally the same as that Mew though. I think I remember them working on something like that.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 13, 2019