Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Where are the EU reactions?

I think the rest of the EU has in some way already accepted that NDB will probably happen. The press seems to be covering it that way and the national governments and the EU are already issuing advisories on what will happen by the end of this month unless the brits get their poo poo together (they wont).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001
Come the Great Brexit riots, I have a caravan that I am prepared to lease at very competitive rates.

(No poos, use the site facilities or a hedge/bucket you filthy bastard.)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The EU aren't interested in an extension unless it's for a GE or referendum, and why should they be?

If parliament says there must be an extension and the EU will only grant it for one of those reasons, what would May do?

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

One potential helper to the push for a GE from the tories would be that it'll almost certainly destroy TIG and if there's any resentment for the defectors it could help a GE be more popular (e.g. among ERG types and whatnot)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm cautiously optimistic about a second referendum. Maybe.

Also I wish they would have an actually binding vote on no deal- that is one that automatically revokes article 50 if we reach the day before brexit with no deal in place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

domhal posted:

If parliament says there must be an extension and the EU will only grant it for one of those reasons, what would May do?

I would suggest that the thrust of may's statement following the defeat is that parliament has to pass some sort of resolution to do one of those things on its own, if it agrees to an extension it must also agree to a reason.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

But without being the government, it won't mean anything, because the EU won't have agreed to it.

The only possible way it could work is if he made a draft proposal, the commons voted to accept it, and then they voted for an extension on the justification that May now has to take Labour's proposal back to the EU and negotiate a new deal based on that, which is... beyond stupid.

he's also presenting labour's framework for a deal for a vote, i think. basically trying to get "WE ARE REALLY TRYING HERE" out there

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

marktheando posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about a second referendum. Maybe.

Also I wish they would have an actually binding vote on no deal- that is one that automatically revokes article 50 if we reach the day before brexit with no deal in place.

Could someone not write that in as an amendment?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Humm.... I do take the points on Conservatives somehow being united on Brexiting without actually Brexiting (or insisting we pour petrol on ourselves and throw fireworks night 7 months early) and that Parliament's makeup needs to change to most-easily stop it (relative term for a reason). However, and it took writing this post to realise this is how I felt, I'm not faithful in the Remain electorate to:

1. Turn out and frigging actually vote. As in a ballot goes into a ballot box, not a million tweets without leaving bed
1b. Unfortunately, this might mean voting tactically (e.g. voting Lib Dem if they'd likely win vs. just for the all might Corbz because, or more difficult still, voting against their other beliefs in the name of Remain)
2. If, after that, a 2nd Ref is called, actually vote in that.
2b. Keep in mind you'd also have an energized Leave campaign who'd have plenty of warning how people voted in Point 1.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Could someone not write that in as an amendment?

Depends, I think, on how much of a twat Leadsom wants to be, but in theory yes, parliament can legislate the moon on a stick if it wants to.

V. Illych L. posted:

he's also presenting labour's framework for a deal for a vote, i think. basically trying to get "WE ARE REALLY TRYING HERE" out there

It perhaps has some rhetorical utility, yes, but it's maybe a little bit late for grandstanding.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Half of me thinks, "It's good that the Tories can't do as much serious harm to the country since all their energy is taken up with Brexit" and the other half thinks, "It sucks that the Tories can do so much serious harm to the country while everyone's attention is taken up with Brexit"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Half of me thinks, "It's good that the Tories can't do as much serious harm to the country since all their energy is taken up with Brexit" and the other half thinks, "It sucks that the Tories can do so much serious harm to the country while everyone's attention is taken up with Brexit"

lol the tories are loving the country every which way, have you not been paying attention at all???

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh we have. Some of us have to live here.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

Depends, I think, on how much of a twat Leadsom wants to be, but in theory yes, parliament can legislate the moon on a stick if it wants to.

It perhaps has some rhetorical utility, yes, but it's maybe a little bit late for grandstanding.

it's been late for grandstanding since november, but it's still politics

this way labour can say "well if you'd ACCEPTED OUR TERMS OF NEGOTIATIONS you would've had a majority for a deal and we'd be done with this nonsense", + argue for a reasonably long delay. only way to call that bluff is to vote for the labour negotiating position, which would be incredibly funny anyway

just putting it to a vote isn't that much effort, even at this late hour

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm more meaning I'm not sure that what happens rhetorically in the commons is going to matter very much unless it actually leads to action to stop brexit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
In us news biden has announced he's running for president and his campaign is going to be a train wreck

https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/...ingawful.com%2F

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JFairfax posted:

lol the tories are loving the country every which way, have you not been paying attention at all???

If they didn't have Brexit taking up 98% of their attention things would be getting a lot worse though. Like, mostly we're at a steady level of hosed that's still residual from the Cameron years. May's government has basically been all in on Brexit and everything else has just been a distraction.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Jesus loving christ I go out for 4 hours to watch a movie and 500 loving posts? Is this all just about the brexit vote?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JFairfax posted:

someone only reads the first 32 words of any given post

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

Jesus loving christ I go out for 4 hours to watch a movie and 500 loving posts? Is this all just about the brexit vote?

There was some KFC chat at one point.

Also I pointed out the MoD were trying to bury a story announcing they'll be funding the defence for the soldiers who perpetrated Bloody Sunday if (when?) the PSNI brings charges on Thursday, and well, got to give it to them, it's worked.

Reminder that a British government inquiry has already stated that all those shot were unarmed, and none of the soldiers fired in response to any sort of threat like gunfire or an explosion. Multiple were shot in the back while running away. One man was shot in the head while waving a white hanky to indicate peaceful intentions while trying to aid one of the others who'd been shot.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 12, 2019

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

thespaceinvader posted:

This has been 2 years in the making. Yes, we are posting about it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mr.Tophat posted:

This has been 2 years in the making. Yes, we are posting about it.

It's not like it's any different from last time.

IDK 100 posts an hour is a LOT even for this thread.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I hope you guys figure your poo poo out and maybe get another referendum. Or maybe May grows a set of balls and realizes she can maybe leave office with her head held high and possibly not be remembered as the worst PM in the history of your country if she revoked 50 before bailing. Like, do the needful, you know.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I hope you guys figure your poo poo out and maybe get another referendum. Or maybe May grows a set of balls and realizes she can maybe leave office with her head held high and possibly not be remembered as the worst PM in the history of your country if she revoked 50 before bailing. Like, do the needful, you know.

Hope is a lie, but if I lie to myself I hope that she might just unilaterally revoke then nope out.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Hope is a lie, but if I lie to myself I hope that she might just unilaterally revoke then nope out.

It's probably the only thing she can do to make sure her bones aren't someday dug up and reburied upside down or whatever thing future folk will do to the people that cursed them to the hell they'll be living.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

someone only reads the first 32 words of any given post

i'm only 32 bits you bigot

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It's not like it's any different from last time.

IDK 100 posts an hour is a LOT even for this thread.

Do you live in this country? If so, do you know it's two weeks to go, or did the rock above you tell you? Holy smokes.

It's a lot of posts because this vote has been two years in the making. It's different because British people are closer to be turbo hosed. Eat me.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

*saunters into the us primary debate thread four hours after it finishes*

Whoah guys, what's going on, so many posts in here, even for you guys, wow, settle down

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you live in this country? If so, do you know it's two weeks to go, or did the rock above you tell you? Holy smokes.

It's a lot of posts because this vote has been two years in the making. It's different because British people are closer to be turbo hosed. Eat me.

I'm well aware of the implications. Perhaps I misstated: it's not like the outcome is any different from last time, nor is it like the outcome was actually GOING to be any different from last time, because the deal is not substantively different, and the MPs are not substantively different.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Your hope may not be well founded but it is appreciated.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm well aware of the implications. Perhaps I misstated: it's not like the outcome is any different from last time, nor is it like the outcome was actually GOING to be any different from last time, because the deal is not substantively different, and the MPs are not substantively different.

The substantive difference is that this may be the point at which parliament is able to act with greater independence from the government as may's deal is extremely and officially dead at this point, and her persistent pantomime to the contrary is what has prevented parliament from presenting alternatives. The next couple of days will determine what happens going forward.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 12, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If she revokes 50 and then gets out she goes from easily one of the worst to in the top 10 of all time surely?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Devil posted:

If she revokes 50 and then gets out she goes from easily one of the worst to in the top 10 of all time surely?

She's already high up in that list LOL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Well no, she'd then be the person who mismanaged the country the most effectively in 2 years for absolutely no intentional effect whatsoever.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

Well no, she'd then be the person who mismanaged the country the most effectively in 2 years for absolutely no intentional effect whatsoever.

I mean, she wouldn't have genocided anyone or started any wars and she would've technically saved y'all from what might be your biggest mistake. Sure, she'd have done it in possibly the worst possible way, but there's stiff competition at the bottom and not so much at the top.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

well yes it was all rather obvious how this particular vote was going to turn out, but having it be official leaves us in the position of planning for Worst Case Scenario World, so people might want to talk through that

Orange Devil posted:

I mean, she wouldn't have genocided anyone or started any wars and she would've technically saved y'all from what might be your biggest mistake. Sure, she'd have done it in possibly the worst possible way, but there's stiff competition at the bottom and not so much at the top.

I think you have to have a very limited understanding of our governments actions to think Theresa May hasn't committed genocide or war crimes

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The substantive difference is that this may be the point at which parliament is able to act with greater independence from the government as may's deal is extremely and officially dead at this point, and her persistent pantomime to the contrary is what has prevented parliament from presenting alternatives. The next couple of days will determine what happens going forward.

God I hate our stupid parliamentary procedure.

I'm basically 100% convinced at this point that we'll see all three votes fail, and end up crashing out without a deal despite voting that that outcome was unacceptable. Because, you know, worst possible outcome.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I don't know all your PMs, but surely not in even the top half, given how she has handled it so far. Though I'd imagine it would save her from being placed below Cameron and Chamberlain and iunno probably some olde crusty arseholes from history tymes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah thinking about it revoking article fifty would improve her standing in a historic context

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

We will settle for nothing less than a Brexit that solves all the problems we imagined membership to cause us, even and especially those problems that have no real relationship to either Europe or reality, while losing none of the benefits. We refuse to recognize the impossibility of this, our diminished negotiating power, or that patriotism isn't a magical solution that can somehow override the reality of international trade.

It's all just a bit daft though isn't it? Whole nation of barmy plonkers and twits proper lost the plot. Gormless prats and nutters get played for mugs by a couple of dodgy bell ends and now the wazzocks in parliament are right hosed for a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Moments after the prime minister announced that the House of Commons would vote on an extension to the article 50 negotiating period beyond 29 March, the European council president issued an EU red line.

“Should there be a UK reasoned request for an extension, the EU27 will consider it and decide by unanimity,” a spokesman for Tusk said. “The EU27 will expect a credible justification for a possible extension and its duration. The smooth functioning of the EU institutions will need to be ensured.”