Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That said, there's definitely days I wish my store had a shower so I could sleep in my car instead of having to drive ~30 minutes home just to turn around six hours later and drive back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Coasterphreak posted:

The fact that you don't get it tells me that you're the rear end in a top hat that shows up 45 minutes late, shitfaced, smelling like sweaty armpit because you've been on a bender and haven't taken time to shower in a couple days.

Not right now. He doesn’t have a job, he got fired for going on too many benders.

And probably sexual harassment too

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I have an interview for a big boy job tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not right now. He doesn’t have a job, he got fired for going on too many benders.

And probably sexual harassment too

My theory is that he got caught drinking in the bathroom one too many times

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Coasterphreak posted:

My theory is that he got caught drinking in the bathroom one too many times

You know I enjoy giving AMAHD a hard time, but I’m glad he is in the thread. He reminds me of all the waiters I grew up working with at crappy places that enjoyed drinking and sexing up coworkers (consensually obviously). Back when I was a kid I loved that life. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

AHMAD man I hope you get a new job soon and don’t drink yourself to an early grave. Please keep on posting and when I’m giving you poo poo let it roll off, because dammit I love reading the dumb poo poo you do.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
Hello thread! I'm always tired, my feet always hurt, I feel like my body and mind are falling apart, and I feel so trapped that I regularly contemplate suicide. In other words my inadvertent cooking career is going splendidly.
On a separate note, I started a new job and getting instructed and corrected on how they do things here is giving me impostor syndrome. Does anyone else struggle with this? I hesitate to use the word mansplaining but I feel like that's a part of the dynamic. I normally wouldn't worry about it but it's making me stressed out any time someone is watching me on the line.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In my experience, do whatever you're told and if you think you have a better way wait until it's slow and say "hey [supervisor] could I try one like this?"

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

pile of brown posted:

In my experience, do whatever you're told and if you think you have a better way wait until it's slow and say "hey [supervisor] could I try one like this?"

I am doing what I'm told, but I received hardly any training to speak of by the head cook before he left and the owner is a typical seagull manager who only communicates with me to let me know when I've done something wrong. Nonetheless, most of the criticism is coming from another cook who is in no way my superior. He gets irritable at sharing the line with me even though that's my job and I'm there to relieve him, that sort of thing. He once stepped away from the line to walk across the kitchen and tell me to hold the lettuce I was shredding differently. I don't have a ton of line experience, granted, but I have years of prep at various locations and I'm perfectly capable of shredding lettuce. The other day I was sliding past him and said "BEHIND Ya" and he stopped and said "sorry I didn't know you were behind me, you know you're only supposed to say, Behind?" and asked if I was familiar with kitchen lingo. It's a bit humiliating.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Red Ryder posted:

The other day I was sliding past him and said "BEHIND Ya" and he stopped and said "sorry I didn't know you were behind me, you know you're only supposed to say, Behind?" and asked if I was familiar with kitchen lingo.
The gently caress is this guy's problem?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Red Ryder posted:

I am doing what I'm told, but I received hardly any training to speak of by the head cook before he left and the owner is a typical seagull manager who only communicates with me to let me know when I've done something wrong. Nonetheless, most of the criticism is coming from another cook who is in no way my superior. He gets irritable at sharing the line with me even though that's my job and I'm there to relieve him, that sort of thing. He once stepped away from the line to walk across the kitchen and tell me to hold the lettuce I was shredding differently. I don't have a ton of line experience, granted, but I have years of prep at various locations and I'm perfectly capable of shredding lettuce. The other day I was sliding past him and said "BEHIND Ya" and he stopped and said "sorry I didn't know you were behind me, you know you're only supposed to say, Behind?" and asked if I was familiar with kitchen lingo. It's a bit humiliating.

Just pretend you don’t speak English

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, that dude's an rear end in a top hat.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
"I wish you'd let me know about your hearing disability weeks ago when I started here"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

pile of brown posted:

"I wish you'd let me know about your hearing disability weeks ago when I started here"

"Maybe you didn't hear me with your head crammed so far up your rear end."

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Yeah Id of snaped back at them by now.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've worked in a lot of different environments and honestly I'd respond to that situation in different ways in each of them.

If you feel like management would be bothered by their behavior just ask them to pay attention when the other employee talks to you. If you think you need to take them outside maybe do that.

I worked somewhere where someone wanted to flex on me but I'm kinda hard to rattle so I just shook it off and talked poo poo back at him when he gave me the opportunity.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was about to come in here and type a bunch of words about how I give a spiel to new employees saying "at no point do I think you're stupid, but I'm gonna tell you to do some stuff that might make it seem that way. it's just so the thing is said out loud once so my expectations are clear and after that I'll leave you to do your thing unless you have questions or issues" and maybe it's something like that happening but with less forewarning, but no, that guy is just an rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You don’t need to talk to people in that way at all and doing so is poor management/leadership

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You don’t need to talk to people in that way at all and doing so is poor management/leadership

If this is directed at me, I don't actually talk to people like they're stupid. I just like to say everything once, even the stuff that "should" be obvious, like "Ok, here's the recipe for pico. The tomatoes are there, onions are there, the rest is in the fridge. Make sure you wash the tomatoes and peppers and herbs." Washing produce is a 'yeah, no poo poo, that's obvious' kind of a thing for most people. That kinda thing. And I like to give my little preamble about it early on so someone who's been cooking for 5 years doesn't get offended when I tell them to wash a tomato - it's not that I think they're an idiot or don't know how to cook, it's that at some point someone didn't do the thing so now I say it out loud once so that my expectations are set and I don't have to give them poo poo about not washing a tomato later on.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Red Ryder posted:

Yea, tell people not to say behind hot, behind sharp ect. That will surely endear you with the culinary world. Next time, call him pinche idiota and slap his work on the floor. Tell him it's kitchen lingo.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I also want to be clear: in a decade and a half of full service kitchen work, this is the most important thing I've learned: a chef exists to find people who care less about themselves than faceless guests, and work them into the grave so that rich people can have healthy bowel movements. Hospitality people will do it. They trust that it's worth it. They will give as much of themselves as needed. Once you let a little kitchen sadist go around making people feel small for his own aggrandizement, they become a black hole that sucks all the reward and dignity out of the job.

It will literally save lives driving these toxic narcissists out of the industry, and frankly, there's not a job worth keeping if losing it takes a powertripping fuckhead out of the business. You'll find other kitchens, your coworker won't un-shoot themself, you won't un-take the pills that help you put up with it, and you won't get the time and love you let the bastards steal, so if you're going to rush the mound, go big, and be decisive. Re-cutting some red peppers is a small price to pay for them to learn that you are not welcome, and your attitude will not be tolerated. Again, save a life, humiliate a power tripping rear end in a top hat.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 14, 2019

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dog Update: He figured out how to get past the empty cardboard box so more drastic steps had to be taken to keep him out of the kitchen.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn2Gs5OphV0

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 14, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Dog Update: He figured out how to get past the empty cardboard box so more drastic steps had to be taken to keep him out of the kitchen.

That's a good doggo.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Republicans posted:

He looks so defeated :smith:

broseph
Oct 29, 2005
There’s nothing like the family atmosphere of a good kitchen team. Cheers y’all, I miss that life.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So who else is getting ready to be turbo-hosed for St Patrick's? Gotta love my chef, he talked the owner into a limited menu all day/night Saturday, made sure everyone is working, and yesterday handed out a printed "action plan"* that lays out what prep everybody needs to do today. I only have to worry about 5 instead of a dozen different kinds of flatbreads, no loving substitutions, and I'm gonna have a helper whose sole job is to keep rolling that dough out for me. We had a 50-top party last night that ran like a well-oiled machine under his direction and only 3 cooks on the line, so I'm feeling more pumped than spooked.

That said, errbody stay safe today, stay away from mandolins, it's the Ides of March.

edit: whoops, forgot to add my * footnote. I loved BSG back when it was on, and all I could think of when he said "action plan" was "ACTION STATIONS, ACTION STATIONS!"

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 15, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So who else is getting ready to be turbo-hosed for St Patrick's? Gotta love my chef, he talked the owner into a limited menu all day/night Saturday, made sure everyone is working, and yesterday handed out a printed "action plan"* that lays out what prep everybody needs to do today. I only have to worry about 5 instead of a dozen different kinds of flatbreads, no loving substitutions, and I'm gonna have a helper whose sole job is to keep rolling that dough out for me. We had a 50-top party last night that ran like a well-oiled machine under his direction and only 3 cooks on the line, so I'm feeling more pumped than spooked.

That said, errbody stay safe today, stay away from mandolins, it's the Ides of March.

edit: whoops, forgot to add my * footnote. I loved BSG back when it was on, and all I could think of when he said "action plan" was "ACTION STATIONS, ACTION STATIONS!"

I'm in catering now. This is a slow week. I decided to just take work off until the 19th. Feelsgoodman.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
You know I used to think that nothing could be worse than working St Paddy’s in west philly at a college bar. That was chaos, all hands on deck at 10am and just chucking kids left and right for bringing their own, kids puking under tables, sheer bedlam.

Now I work for a company that makes an Irish whisky. And I’ve been invited into the heart of the beast in Lower Manhattan. Me and y colleague are going because our Irish whisky ambassador is a petite FOB girl in her 20s and has never seen the bridge and tunnel beasts in motion. Heaven help us all.

(A fun follow up on the first story- I begged off early when the carnage died down around 4, because it wasn’t my regular shift and it out me on day 6. I come into the shop a few days later, and one of the owners summons me to his office. 23 y/o bloody is pretty sure he’s getting canned over something like getting high in the DJ booth with the usual Rasta jockeys, but no- owner is there to show me security footage of our 5’6” ex marine door man bouncing a Wharton kid straight through a glass door, confiscating his fake ID and credit card, which the owner used to find his father and inform him of what the damages were going to cost. We watched it on repeat for about ten minutes.)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I was expecting spring break to be much worse since we're down a saute cook but it's been pretty smooth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
St. Pat's is pure amateur night, so I will continue my tradition of using the excuse to make soda bread and colcanon to go with some venison sausages.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Im working the door at a bar on Dallas parade route. Should be a nice shitshow.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We got three extra kegs of Coors light and three big bottles of green food coloring. All set for tomorrow.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Republicans posted:

We got three extra kegs of Coors light and three big bottles of green food coloring. All set for tomorrow.

We aren't doing green beer, just 50 kajillion extra bottles of Bud Light in green bottles (and so much other beer we can't even close the beer cage in the walk-in). Out of curiosity, how does one add the green to keg beer? Like, where in the tapping process does that occur? Always wondered about that.

We've also made however many Jello shots one can make with 54 (that is the actual number) of boxes of Jello. Hold me, guys, I'm scared. :ohdear:

Last night we were stupid busy, just being Friday and people gearing up for party weekend, and holy crow was I off my game. Had a perfect storm within 15 minutes of:

1. Started getting in the weeds on my station
2. Made a BBQ chix flatbread, and while putting on the finishing artful drizzle of BBQ sauce, the cap on the squeeze bottle comes off and glorps BBQ all over one end.
3. One of my peels, the head slightly unscrewed from the pole as I was pulling out. The head lurched about 30 degrees as I yanked from the oven, and I dropped a whole fuckin' pizza --- BLOP --- right on the floor.
4. Now I'm growing so many weeds my nickname should be Miracle-Gro

I blame the Ides of March. There's one cook who's always telling me not to be a hero, and to ask him for help if I need it. Damned if I didn't finally get over my "I'm the only woman in the kitchen and need to prove myself" complex, and yelled for him to come help last night; he did, and with aplomb. End of the night, chef was p cool about everything, though, especially when I appealed to our superstitious side and said "Sorry chef --- gettin' all my gently caress-ups out of my system today, so tomorrow will be flawless!" Fingers and toes crossed.

Godspeed, y'all.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Out of curiosity, how does one add the green to keg beer? Like, where in the tapping process does that occur? Always wondered about that.

I'm pretty sure they just pour some in every pitcher/glass.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look on the bright side Jacque, you didn't drop any flat breads on your bare arms or anything. That's a plus.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday. I'm off, things have slowed back down a bit at the hospital. And Tuesday I have my next therapist appointment. I've been taking notes of things to talk about. And I have a hair appointment scheduled after that to like, figure out what the gently caress I do with my hair because I don't know what the gently caress being raised a guy and all that.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Out of the six people scheduled to work tonight, only three actually showed up.

That's to run the whole restaurant, FOH and BOH.

And we loving killed it and still got out on time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
That...hurt. I opened someone else’s bar when the barback was two and a half hours late. Should never have got on the boat. Neighbor left pedialyte at the door. Next year I’m going on vacation.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know I enjoy giving AMAHD a hard time, but I’m glad he is in the thread. He reminds me of all the waiters I grew up working with at crappy places that enjoyed drinking and sexing up coworkers (consensually obviously). Back when I was a kid I loved that life. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

AHMAD man I hope you get a new job soon and don’t drink yourself to an early grave. Please keep on posting and when I’m giving you poo poo let it roll off, because dammit I love reading the dumb poo poo you do.

Hahah. Thanks for this.

I haven’t even looked for work yet. Oh god that whole process is going to be lovely.

I’ll keep ya updated. Hope all is well with you as well.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Didn’t you lose your job over a month ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Yes. I’ve literally been chilling on money I saved for years...

But funds are getting low. So it’s time to make some moves.