Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

holocaust bloopers posted:

Shelldon is a v good boy.

Got my America The Beautiful pass in yesterday. So far for the year the following parks are a go:

Joshua Tree
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Rocky Mountain

That's great! I have the Lifetime Pass and it's so worth it. Usually go to Rocky Mountain twice a year, but with all the snow this year, I may have to push my first trip back to July. Trying to figure out which parks I want to go to this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Annual. I’d love to get a lifetime pass.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MonkeyWash posted:

That's great! I have the Lifetime Pass and it's so worth it. Usually go to Rocky Mountain twice a year, but with all the snow this year, I may have to push my first trip back to July. Trying to figure out which parks I want to go to this year.

Glacier, for sure

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My vague plan is to hit Utah a few times for sure, and beyond that it's fuzzy since the GF doesn't want to do any real long trips due to her old dog. So we'll see. Hoping to hit the black canyon and the wind river range at very least.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Glacier, for sure

Glacier is definitely on the list! The Rat, a couple years ago I went to Moab and hit Black Canyon on the way back. I went in April and nothing was terribly busy in either the parks around Moab or Black Canyon. Last summer I did a lot of hiking in Wyoming, mostly in Medicine Bow. Love the area, Wind River would be amazing. So much to see out there!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Grand Tetons
Yellowstone

^ This poo poo is gonna blow your mind, buddy. The Grand Tetons are a god damned spectacle of topographic relief, and the assault on the senses of Colter's Hell often beggars belief. Old Faithful is basically disney world though, lol

For me, I'm going to Zion NP and then out to Death Valley NP for a field geology course on active tectonics over what would have been my spring break. I'm really looking forward to it, I love the parks, I just hope the overnights along the way in Colorado and Utah aren't too cold.

The Rat posted:

wind river range

there's a burger place I can't remember the name of in the Lander Bar in Lander, WY that has a couple of local family ranches that custom butcher and age steers special just for those hamburgers. Strong strong recommend.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya I’m doing Grand Tetons/Yellowstone without the girlfriend. She doesn’t want to try camping quite yet.

Looking forward to that week in Jackson, WY

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Ya I’m doing Grand Tetons/Yellowstone without the girlfriend. She doesn’t want to try camping quite yet.

Looking forward to that week in Jackson, WY

It's a nice enough town, but I couldn't imagine spending a week there. In the mountains around there hiking and fishing and poo poo would definitely be good.

edit: to clarify, I couldn't imagine just sitting in Jackson without going to do some slightly more hardcore outdoor poo poo for a week. You only need to go to a yellowstone themed tshirt store and an overpriced brunch place once or twice

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 12, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thanks for the burger place recommendation, I'll keep an eye out!

Other potentials for me this year are western South Dakota, the Tetons and Yellowstone and maybe SW CO.

Longer trips are still more up in the air.

Early April we're hitting Capitol Reef and Canyonlands. Have all trails and drive times plotted out. Hoping for good weather and solitude for more pics.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Thanks for the burger place recommendation, I'll keep an eye out!

Other potentials for me this year are western South Dakota, the Tetons and Yellowstone and maybe SW CO.

Longer trips are still more up in the air.

Early April we're hitting Capitol Reef and Canyonlands. Have all trails and drive times plotted out. Hoping for good weather and solitude for more pics.

Western South Dakota is great. I spent a week in Custer State Park a couple years ago. Had a bison stampede right next to the campground, it was an amazing experience. Visited Wind Cave, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, the Badlands, and hiked Black Elk Peak. Custer was a great place to stay.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yup! Been there twice before and liked it, it's about perfect for a 4 day weekend. Would easily put Custer state park up against any national parks. Definitely more hiking there than Badlands.

I did prefer Jewel cave to Wind cave though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m bringing my Fuji setup plus a Canon 35mm slr in these trips. Very fun.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Yup! Been there twice before and liked it, it's about perfect for a 4 day weekend. Would easily put Custer state park up against any national parks. Definitely more hiking there than Badlands.

I did prefer Jewel cave to Wind cave though.

This is what we woke up to one morning at Custer.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm looking for a good entry level camera to go hiking with, any suggestions?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I'm looking for a good entry level camera to go hiking with, any suggestions?

Interchangeable lenses, weather resistant, price?

Let me know what you prioritize.

Without knowing anything, I'd go with a Fuji X-T20, Fuji X-T100, or maybe a Canon EOS M50/M5. Fuji cameras come with film simulations, which put out incredible jpegs, so post-processing isn't needed. They're small, inexpensive, and their lenses are generally fantastic and cheap compared to competitors.

If you're feeling that big dick energy, look at a used X-T2 -- get a lot more flexibility in terms of body plus weather resistance -- the sensor/image quality is the same as a X-T20.

Match any of those Fuji cameras to an 18-55 lens and you're set for most anything.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, if I didn't have a full Sony E mount setup with lenses I'd probably have gone Fuji today. A shame Sigma doesn't make their 30mm f1.4 for Fuji's APS-C mount.

Also maybe consider something like a Sony RX100 if you want something lighter/more compact (dunno if I'd want to haul a mirrorless camera + lenses hiking unless the trip was specifically for photography purposes)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm going sent to South Africa and Zimbabwe for work next month. I'm trying to chart my incoming flight into Cape Town and spend a few days there for one reason and one reason only.

CAGE DIVING WITH GREAT WHITE SHARKS.

If I can get my flights all in a row, I'm hopefully going to fulfill one of my all-time bucket list items. It will be extensively documented via GoPro and whatever camera they let me use.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, if I didn't have a full Sony E mount setup with lenses I'd probably have gone Fuji today. A shame Sigma doesn't make their 30mm f1.4 for Fuji's APS-C mount.

Also maybe consider something like a Sony RX100 if you want something lighter/more compact (dunno if I'd want to haul a mirrorless camera + lenses hiking unless the trip was specifically for photography purposes)

yea the RX100's are good but goddamn a thousand bucks for a new one is absurd.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm seriously considering jumping into deepsky astrophotography.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

yea the RX100's are good but goddamn a thousand bucks for a new one is absurd.

Yeah, if I were buying it'd be used or a good sale. Once I'm working I want either an RX100 or the upcoming Ricoh GRIII so I can have a nice pocketable camera that is significantly more capable than my iPhone.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Is there any reason one of the older models would be a massive step down? It's less than half the price of the new one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Premium-Compact-Digital-28-100mm/dp/B00889ST2G

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Is there any reason one of the older models would be a massive step down? It's less than half the price of the new one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Premium-Compact-Digital-28-100mm/dp/B00889ST2G

Nah not really.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The 2nd or 3rd gen on up have a popup OLED viewfinder and probably a marginally better sensor. The latest gen has a much longer 35mm equivalent zoom range (24-200 I think, older ones are 24-70). Newer ones also have better autofocus, video, etc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX100#Model_differences

Personally the RX100V sounds the most appealing to me since I'd rather have the shorter zoom range with a larger max aperture.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Interchangeable lenses, weather resistant, price?

Let me know what you prioritize.

I'm looking to spend ~350 on something used take take photos while hiking, Ideally its something that if I can enjoy I can buy more lenses for.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hard to go wrong with a Sony A6000 for that price, although it's not weather sealed. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have it in a downpour though. The kit lens is tiny and actually has reasonable optical quality considering the price.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I'm looking to spend ~350 on something used take take photos while hiking, Ideally its something that if I can enjoy I can buy more lenses for.

Yea I’d look at maybe a used Canon EOS M50 or a Fuji x-e3 or an x-t100.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I've never really bought used electronics, is ebay the best bet?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ebay's ok, Keh.com is good as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I've never really bought used electronics, is ebay the best bet?

eBay is pretty good. Find users with decent ratings and return policies.

I would search Adorama, KEH, and BH Photo first, though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I traded my two DBALs and welp gently caress

Just tested it outside now that it's dark and it's fuckin whoa

Now I gotta start saving for another :suicide:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

what makes it special over another IR laser? (seriously, have no idea what that is)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The illuminator is much stronger while still being eye safe. Multiple reports of it even beating out class 3 mil/LE restricted lasers. It's really easy to switch between short/medium/long for the illuminator as well.

This explains it better than I can. My only hands on so far was taking it outside after dark and going whoaaaaaa https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/30/review-mawl-c1/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gym shoes ok to hike/walk around Joshua Tree? Would love to not pack heavy for this California trip I’m about to leave on. We’re in Joshua Tree just for a day.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
You'll be fine, I always wear sandals in Joshua Tree.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Extremely jealous of that MAWL.

Also yeah shoes are fine for most of Joshua Tree. If you find you need boots you could always pop over to the PX at 29 :v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Had my last day volunteering at the NC aquarium at Fort Fisher, prior to me moving to FL. Dove with morays, with sharks, and of course, mermaids 😎

Brittany (and me!):

Awesome! Good friends of mine have four girls between them, they come back from seeing your mermaid friends beaming. The little one in the foreground of your picture looks like she feels the same way, stuck to that glass like a lamprey!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seeing the little ones do happy dances through the glass is one of my favorite sights when I’m there :) I was costume diving as Anakin Skywalker (red lens mask, one glove, light saber, brown robe, lightsaber flashlight) and presented my lightsaber to a little girl dressed as Rey, and she did the best little happy dance I’ve ever seen :kimchi:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did some hiking today. First time trying the micro spikes instead of snowshoes. Worked really well on the packed down trails.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Top one owns. Exposing for snow is tough. Good work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks! Yeah I took a few at neutral exposure and a few at -1. Was bright as hell for that first one. By the time I got to that second lake, it was half cloudy and the light was getting weird. Snapped some there and started leaving right as it started snowing.

Something is rattling around inside my lens now. Sound like a tiny pebble or something. Now if I'm looking straight down or up, zooming feels weird. Lens still works and I can't see anything weird in today's photos.

Have a Utah trip coming next weekend too. Probably just gonna gut it out and avoid zooming in/out as much as I can, and send it in for repairs afterwards.