Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I'll be surprised if this is anything other than the NES/SNES/Genesis games

ah;

the bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I'm not interested in a castlevania collection unless it has the GBA/DS games

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is that necessarily a problem?

I'd love a more complete collection since I like everything post-SotN more. But I mostly meant that tweet's using art from Rondo of Blood

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The DS games would require some effort on Konami's part so that already disqualifies them

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I just gave up on waiting and bought a 3DS can I download the old GBA and DS Castlevania games? Would I have to mod it? Would that be easy? Same question for the Advance Wars GBA games.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RandomFerret posted:

They're just not all that good, and they've all had rereleases already. Now, if they were doing a rerelease of the handheld games, I'd be all over it

*monkey's paw slowly closes one finger as Castlevania Adventure is announced for switch online*

I want all the ReBirth games and I would take Castlevania Adventure ReBirth in a heartbeat

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rolo posted:

If I just gave up on waiting and bought a 3DS can I download the old GBA and DS Castlevania games? Would I have to mod it? Would that be easy? Same question for the Advance Wars GBA games.

If it's new you'll need a ds flash card to mod it regardless, but they're pretty cheap and you can kill two birds with one stone. For GBA you can either use a virtual console container with a new rom injected or install a homebrew gba emulator.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RandomFerret posted:

If it's new you'll need a ds flash card to mod it regardless, but they're pretty cheap and you can kill two birds with one stone. For GBA you can either use a virtual console container with a new rom injected or install a homebrew gba emulator.

Sorry to ask what you’ve probably already answered but could I do all this with a new 2DS and not have to ever switch out the cartridge once I’m done? I like the idea of having one small portable system with all my SNES, GBA and DS games on one system/SD/cart. I’d be willing to pay for that.

Also if it bothers anyone, I’d only be getting games I already bought back in the day, I just don’t want to dig up three systems and 10 carts from my parents house.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heath posted:

I want all the ReBirth games and I would take Castlevania Adventure ReBirth in a heartbeat

That game is currently unavailable for purchase right?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

less laughter posted:

Yes, it should be the holy sextet:

Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

I'm mostly interested in Symphony of the Night, as I don't own a platform it has been released on. I have all those others on either my DS or the Wii U, but I'd love to try SotN. I've tried emulating it but the thing keeps crashing. I don't want to have to mash quicksave every 30 seconds...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
For everyone wondering how Nintendo would handle the physical map/water code from Star Tropics on the NES Online service, well.... they didn't. At all. lol

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1105569715865346048

The code is 747 for those wondering.

Literally everything about their NESflix service has been so lazy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm mostly interested in Symphony of the Night, as I don't own a platform it has been released on. I have all those others on either my DS or the Wii U, but I'd love to try SotN. I've tried emulating it but the thing keeps crashing. I don't want to have to mash quicksave every 30 seconds...

Sony apparently paid for the recent re-release so it's probably an exclusive

Spellman
May 31, 2011

American McGay posted:

For everyone wondering how Nintendo would handle the physical map/water code from Star Tropics on the NES Online service, well.... they didn't. At all. lol

What the gently caress are you sure? God drat it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rolo posted:

Sorry to ask what you’ve probably already answered but could I do all this with a new 2DS and not have to ever switch out the cartridge once I’m done? I like the idea of having one small portable system with all my SNES, GBA and DS games on one system/SD/cart. I’d be willing to pay for that.

Also if it bothers anyone, I’d only be getting games I already bought back in the day, I just don’t want to dig up three systems and 10 carts from my parents house.

Yes, when everything is done, you'll have your DS games on the flash cart and everything else on the SD card. Check out the homebrew thread, it has all the information you'll need to mod your 3ds, wiiu and switch: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

(it doesn't come up when you search 'nintendo homebrew' because the title was changed for halloween last year and nobody bothered to put it back)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

American McGay posted:

This is exactly what I thought they'd do, I now expect them to hurriedly release a fix that is super lazy. I half expect them to just rename the game title to Star Tropics - Code is 747

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pixaal posted:

This is exactly what I thought they'd do, I now expect them to hurriedly release a fix that is super lazy. I half expect them to just rename the game title to Star Tropics - Code is 747

They'll put out a "special" release which is just a save state with the code already input.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Least people can Google the stupid code VS my kid rear end getting utterly stuck there. That's some super lazy poo poo right there on Nintendo's part.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You don't need a flash cart or anything extra to mod a 3DS on the very latest firmware. I did it two weeks ago and it was easy peasy. Just follow the instructions.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'd be mad about the Star Tropics thing if it was 1990 and google didn't exist

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RandomFerret posted:

Yes, when everything is done, you'll have your DS games on the flash cart and everything else on the SD card. Check out the homebrew thread, it has all the information you'll need to mod your 3ds, wiiu and switch: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

(it doesn't come up when you search 'nintendo homebrew' because the title was changed for halloween last year and nobody bothered to put it back)

Thanks, friendo :)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Allow me to jivjov on in here and say all of you people know the code anyway

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

LethalGeek posted:

Least people can Google the stupid code VS my kid rear end getting utterly stuck there. That's some super lazy poo poo right there on Nintendo's part.

I had to call the nintendo hotline when i rented this as a kid

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I just remembered, I made this for a photoshop thread way back in 2011

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lol i loving knew nintendo would just forget about the goddamn code

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

I'd be mad about the Star Tropics thing if it was 1990 and google didn't exist

Very much not the point, though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
the point is that in the year 2019 even a 9 year old would know to just punch in "startropics frequency" into google to get past it in roughly half a minute, so it's a non issue

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Very much not the point, though.
The game also effectively softlocks at that point if you don't know the code. You can't back out of the menu and the last save point before it is about 10-15 minutes before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HenryEx posted:

the point is that in the year 2019 even a 9 year old would know to just punch in "startropics frequency" into google to get past it in roughly half a minute, so it's a non issue

No, the point is that the company who made the game, when rereleasing it for money or otherwise (NSO while cheap isn't free), should also include relevant information that is actually required to advance.

Yes, we all know how to Google. That's not the point. Why should we have to?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Are Rabbids and World of FF on sale for $20 for everyone else?

It's my birthday tomorrow so I'm wondering if it's because of that or if that's just a crazy deal. I got an email about birthday discounts but it only listed 3DS and Wii U games.

Super late to this, but anybody getting rabbids should consider scrolling down and getting the gold edition listed with the dlc. $27 for game with season pass, which costs $20 separately and is not discounted on it's own for some reason.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Chill Penguin posted:

Add Road Redemption to this list.

I like Road Redemption more than most but I don't think it belongs on everyone's Switch. It's not really pretty or stylish, controls are tough to handle on the joycons, and load times are on the annoying end.

I would add Downwell, Tangledeep and/or Wargroove before Road Redemption.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The info is freely available to anyone with internet access, which coincidentally includes everyone who can access the game.

Would it have been nice if they included the code and saved you 30 seconds? Sure. The urgency still ranks quite a few notches below "including an option to toggle off weapon durability in BOTW for those who want it" though, and people paid real money for that game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HenryEx posted:

The info is freely available to anyone with internet access, which coincidentally includes everyone who can access the game.

Would it have been nice if they included the code and saved you 30 seconds? Sure. The urgency still ranks quite a few notches below "including an option to toggle off weapon durability in BOTW for those who want it" though, and people paid real money for that game
You're wrong. Goodbye.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I don't understand why they provided digital online manuals for every game on the NES Classic (a system that wasn't even online!) and not for the NES Online service.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean this is a gently caress up by Nintendo, whether you can fix it yourself or not doesn’t really matter

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

As poorly considered as the Playstation Classic was in nearly every respect they still remembered to include Meryl's codec frequency on the box, there's no excuse for Nintendo to not figure something out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The excuse is they don't care, you all already paid

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Whole lotta grief over some lovely NES game

Is Mario Kart worth picking up for online play? Like, is it active and such? Is cheating a thing on Switch? Was thinking I could tether it to my phone for online Smash Bros and the like while commuting

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

ah;
the bad ones

correct except for Super Castlevania IV

Castlevania 1+2 do not hold up well. Some bosses in the first game are just a battle of attrition that borderline require you to have a certain subweapon or you're going to get hosed hard. I think only Ninja Gaiden beats the first game in the realm of "loving poo poo I got knocked back midjump into a pit AGAIN" anger.

Ideally a CV collection would have Super CV4, Aria of Sorrow, and Symphony of the Night but given the fact that Symphony/Rondo were on an exclusive bullshit PS4 collection idk if that's possible. Likelihood is all the old poo poo games + Super CV. Being multiplatform certainly means none of the gba games.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Castlevania 1 is probably the only game where watching someone speedrun it makes the game almost trivial. The tricks aren't hard to learn and if I knew all those tricks as a kid...man...but knowing them now it makes the game way easier.

Ninja Gaiden is just crushing and absurd. I have no chance of ever completing it. It's just not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
There is a Castlevania 2 romhack which cleared up the dialog and removed other bullshit and it makes the game actually playable.

Here's a link