Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

HenryEx posted:

the point is that in the year 2019 even a 9 year old would know to just punch in "startropics frequency" into google to get past it in roughly half a minute, so it's a non issue

The problem is that some people don't want to beat games with guides, so the player will assume the info can be found somewhere in the game, and will waste god knows how much time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Was the 64 Castlevania where you played a werewolf any good? I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power and thinking it looked cool.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Doing a blind run I would assume I missed something in game on that code screen and not being able to back out as NES jank.

It's s not acceptable to not include it somehow.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

pixaal posted:

Doing a blind run I would assume I missed something in game on that code screen and not being able to back out as NES jank.

It's s not acceptable to not include it somehow.

Yes, people will assume they missed something in the town or some poo poo, restart their game files—it will cause headaches

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Was the 64 Castlevania where you played a werewolf any good? I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power and thinking it looked cool.

No. Both the 64 Castlevanias sucked poo poo. Those games disappointed me so much.:smith:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

:smugdog:

I can't believe I've somehow still held onto this thing over the decades.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. Both the 64 Castlevanias sucked poo poo. Those games disappointed me so much.:smith:

It's hard to believe a game featuring motorcycle skeletons could be so terrible. :sigh:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The God of War Castlevania narrated by Captain Picard was pretty sweet

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wheeee posted:

As someone who has only played the very first Castlevania game...

what!?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wheeee posted:

My condolences for your terminal case of Liking Bad Games.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Evil Fluffy posted:

My condolences for your terminal case of Liking Bad Games.

It was bad but I like it too. It was indeed sweet.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Beastie posted:

As someone who has only played the very first Castlevania game...

what!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfpRjzO8Qs

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

People thought that game was bad? Wth absolute news to me

Counterpoint: it rules

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
God of War is a good template that always works, Castlevania is no exception

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’m one of the few who loved that game, warts and all. It has a lot of flaws but underneath that is a fun unique game.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I absolutely love Dead Cells and found Hollow Knight to be good looking and atmospheric but absolutely tedious and the combat/movement felt clunky as gently caress.

Don't @ me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

psylent posted:

I absolutely love Dead Cells and found Hollow Knight to be good looking and atmospheric but absolutely tedious and the combat/movement felt clunky as gently caress.

Don't @ me

It takes a good 6-10 hours in Hollow Knight for you to get the good movement upgrades to fix the clunkiness, then holy hell does the game git gud...

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

psylent posted:

Don't @ me

Gonna have to second this unpopular opinion

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dead Cells is an easy, colorful game with lots of baubles and trinkets for children and Hollow Knight is a dark and difficult game full of art and mystery, for adults.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Fayez Butts posted:

Dead Cells is an easy game with lots of baubles and trinkets for children and Hollow Knight is a difficult game full of art and mystery, for adults.

:yeah:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I like games.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

It was for sale on the eShop for $40 a few weeks ago.

hmm must not've been on the aus eshop.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fayez Butts posted:

Dead Cells is an easy, colorful game with lots of baubles and trinkets for children and Hollow Knight is a dark and difficult game full of art and mystery, for adults.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Hey hey hey hey hey now.

Both games are good.

Play nice now, don’t make me come over there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

Dead Cells is an easy, colorful game with lots of glittering gold, trinkets and baubles.... paid for in blood and Hollow Knight is a success, so clearly in view... or is it merely a trick of the light?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Darkest Dungeon is loving wonderful on the Switch btw.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

if you are okay with playing a janky n64 game in 2019 then yes it's a cool game

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Darkest Dungeon is a perfect Switch game. It's not a game that I can play for hours at a time so firing it up in handheld mode while I listen to a podcast or something and coming back to it later is nice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is the controller ui decent? I have it on ps4 and its lovely

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Real hurthling! posted:

Touchscreen helps a little bit mostly no

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Real hurthling! posted:

I get tripped up occasionally but only when I get the two R buttons mixed up with my dumb fingers. They’re always diagrammed along the bottom of the GUI, so you never forget them though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont like Hollow Knight or Dead Cells for different reasons and thats ok.

And Casltevania Lords of Shadow 1 has such a flagrantly stupid mechanical interaction between how you charge and spend that charge on your whip that all the playtesters should have been sent back to training.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

nope, it's bad

you can use the touchscreen which is a plus, but button-wise it's a mess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

If I just gave up on waiting and bought a 3DS can I download the old GBA and DS Castlevania games? Would I have to mod it? Would that be easy? Same question for the Advance Wars GBA games.

Get a DS lite and the requisite carts. It plays DS and GBA stuff and can be had for like $20

Or mod a 3DS but gba games require the roms to be put in a wrapper And DS mode still requires a flash cart to run roms.

That’s how it was when I last booted up my 3ds anyway

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 13, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hollow Knight and Dead Cells are good and all but they’re no Goat Simulator.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RE: Startropics
change thread title to "The Code is 747"

Nintendo could have added the line to the robot "Check your pocket computer, do a search!"

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Wamdoodle posted:

Nintendo could have added the line to the robot "Check your pocket computer, do a search!"

*pulls out smart phone, types into Google: "where do I find the pocket computer in star tropics"

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Went to Best Buy in person, got 2 digital game codes (NSMBU and Odyssey) for $40 apiece, so congrats to Best Buy for being the only company to participate in the advertised Mario day sale.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wamdoodle posted:

That would require them to edit the actual game file which seems above what they're capable of.

They'll release an SP version tomorrow that's just a save state loaded immediately after the code is entered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

And It'll be accidentally titled StartRopics.

I could swear that I remember playing a Virtual Console release of StarTropics that had a virtual note to dunk in virtual water.