Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/GeekVibesNation/status/1105476875068104705

Trailer for BM & TMNT

Can't wait to see which one he fucks in this movie. My bet is on Don.

I think that video thumbnail makes it pretty clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well this provides an intriguing look into a Captain Marvel pitch that never got off the ground (no pun intended) and an insight into the inner workings of Marvel Animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IttvJRFgFJo
Kinda bummed we never got this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well this provides an intriguing look into a Captain Marvel pitch that never got off the ground (no pun intended) and an insight into the inner workings of Marvel Animation:

RIP Ben Bates career.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/GeekVibesNation/status/1105476875068104705

Trailer for BM & TMNT

Can't wait to see which one he fucks in this movie. My bet is on Don.

Nah, he only does machines

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nah, he only does machines

That line was never meant to be exclusive.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Raph is suitably brooding for Bruce i would think

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Bruce is the brooder in the relationship, no one he get's linked to romantically is a brooder. Among the costume types his best romantic foils are Catwoman or Wonder Woman, the closest analogues to those would be Michelangelo or Leonardo respectively.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're all teenagers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Youtube has been so insufferable the past couple of weeks with Captain Marvel bullshit that the thumbnail there immediately thought it was more BS lol.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

site posted:

Bruce did take him out on a date in the comic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

They're all teenagers.

Bats and Turtles and Robins, oh my!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I enjoyed those designs and that 15 second video more than I've enjoyed in all of Marvel Rising

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'd be interested in hearing more of that interview and why he thinks the outsourcing to korea was an issue because a bunch of other shows also outsource but dont end up looking like poo poo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Out of curiosity is there a reason why Barbara goes from being "just fine, I'm Batgirl" in YJ season 2 to wheelchair-bound Oracle in season 3?

Like, is there a precedent to making her disabled instead of just shifting into the role of mission control? I don't have a problem with that except we don't see that transformation in the cartoon, we go from season 2 ending and Wally's funeral, where nothing has happened to Barbara, to the beginning of season 3 and she's wheelchair bound.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's from the Killing Joke where she's paralyzed after getting shot. I think every iteration of Barbara as Oracle has had some variation of the Killing Joke as the catalyst, and I'm sure Young Justice is no different (Or maybe it'll be from something The Light planned).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Aces High posted:

Out of curiosity is there a reason why Barbara goes from being "just fine, I'm Batgirl" in YJ season 2 to wheelchair-bound Oracle in season 3?

Like, is there a precedent to making her disabled instead of just shifting into the role of mission control? I don't have a problem with that except we don't see that transformation in the cartoon, we go from season 2 ending and Wally's funeral, where nothing has happened to Barbara, to the beginning of season 3 and she's wheelchair bound.

YJ does timeskips with every new season and you sort of have to wait to fill in the blanks. Or play the tie-in videogame.

It's sort of aggravating. Even though I like the show, I will fully admit this is not one of its better quirks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And also, must people keep going back to The Killing Joke? (Although the answer is clearly yes, for whatever reason.)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dawgstar posted:

And also, must people keep going back to The Killing Joke? (Although the answer is clearly yes, for whatever reason.)

This is also the show that's also rehashing the Judas Contract for the millionth time, so basically time is a flat circle

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

This is also the show that's also rehashing the Judas Contract for the millionth time, so basically time is a flat circle

Yes it does seem to be doing that, but I have hopes that they'll be playing a deeper game than that. Let's not forget that this was the show that took a main character from S1 and had him spend all of S2 as a double agent. After a S1 which had the character who obsessed with there being a double agent in the League turn out to BE the double agent in the League!

In short, unlike most Teen Titans teams, "The Team" have seen the whole "inserted double agent" ploy from BOTH sides of the coin. If there was anyone able to figure out "Oh, Tara's betraying us to the LoS. Better use that to gently caress with the Light when they think they're beating us" for a season finale turnaround it's these guys. As such, deliberately playing up the Judas Contract similarities could be their way of lulling us to sleep so we don't see the turnabout coming.

Which I have! Probably. If it goes that way, I mean.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fuego Fish posted:

YJ does timeskips with every new season and you sort of have to wait to fill in the blanks. Or play the tie-in videogame.

It's sort of aggravating. Even though I like the show, I will fully admit this is not one of its better quirks.

I will give it a pass if the last season is Young Justice One Million. Bonus points if we go through Young Justice Beyond and Young Justice That's Actually Legion of Superheroes.

Until then, it is quite aggravating.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Can someone explain the Judas Contract thing so I don't have to go see that awful DC DTV? Or is it actually not that bad?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The millionth time? It’s been animated all of twice, and only one of them had Terra anywhere close to her original characterization.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Can someone explain the Judas Contract thing so I don't have to go see that awful DC DTV? Or is it actually not that bad?

"The character Terra was secretly a double agent" sums it up. The original story is iconic but also full of a lot of weird/uncomfortable stuff like Deathstroke being in a sexual relationship with a teenager.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Yes it does seem to be doing that, but I have hopes that they'll be playing a deeper game than that. Let's not forget that this was the show that took a main character from S1 and had him spend all of S2 as a double agent. After a S1 which had the character who obsessed with there being a double agent in the League turn out to BE the double agent in the League!

In short, unlike most Teen Titans teams, "The Team" have seen the whole "inserted double agent" ploy from BOTH sides of the coin. If there was anyone able to figure out "Oh, Tara's betraying us to the LoS. Better use that to gently caress with the Light when they think they're beating us" for a season finale turnaround it's these guys. As such, deliberately playing up the Judas Contract similarities could be their way of lulling us to sleep so we don't see the turnabout coming.

Which I have! Probably. If it goes that way, I mean.

It's my honest hope this one's a fake out since it would be really fitting, yeah. I remember there was a post earlier here about it being Dr. Jace instead, and that also made a fair amount of sense and would probably hit harder if they're trying to recreate the same vibes of the original story.

Nodosaur posted:

The millionth time? It’s been animated all of twice, and only one of them had Terra anywhere close to her original characterization.

I'll remember to use a less exaggerating exaggeration next time!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don’t understand how a storyline that’s only ever been reimagined a handful of times can be overplayed.

This isn’t TDKR or Death of Superman, here.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm well aware of The Killing Joke but I take issue with that reason because that's a pretty loving big thing to not show your audience between seasons. This was a problem I and another friend had with season 2 and it opening with Kaldor working for Black Manta and M'gann using her telepathic powers to turn prisoners into vegetables. You're not only taking a huge risk by upsetting your audience by having too drastic a change from where your cast was at the end of the previous scene, but you're also doing a bit of character assassination.

I wouldn't put Barbara being paralyzed up there on the same as what happened to M'gann in season 2 but it still annoys me as someone who only watches the show (that same friend and I tried to play that lovely video game but good God that was terrible)

But maybe this is just how Greg Wiseman writes these days, I probably would have been very upset if Spectacular Spider-Man season 3 did happen with his planned death of Gwen

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aces High posted:

But maybe this is just how Greg Wiseman writes these days, I probably would have been very upset if Spectacular Spider-Man season 3 did happen with his planned death of Gwen

Oh did he finally say his plans for SSM? Last I checked, he was being vague as gently caress on his AMA blog because he was 200% sure that Sony would call any day now and tell him to make more of it.

I was actually kind of upset that YJ came back just because he was proven right for that show...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People seem really hung up on the idea that Greg Weisman is some kind of egomaniac, it feels like.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

I just don’t understand how a storyline that’s only ever been reimagined a handful of times can be overplayed.

This isn’t TDKR or Death of Superman, here.

I mean if you're looking at animated adaptions in particular (because this is that thread) then Death of Superman and Judas Contract are both at 3 now, which is probably too many times for any story to be retold, honestly. I think it being only 2 years out from the last animated movie it was in also soured me on it showing up in YJ again, along with season 3 aiming for a more "mature" storyline and what it could imply with gross poo poo coming out of that particular story.

I'm sure most people don't care, but I never cared for the storyline much so having it roped into a series I've liked a lot otherwise is annoying. Same with the Killing Joke honestly, though at least with YJ it's just an implied background detail.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I understand worrying about the gross aspects, but I'm going to wait and see whether that actually ends up being a part of it or not. There's multiple ways they could play it and Weisman has always struck me as socially conscious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh did he finally say his plans for SSM? Last I checked, he was being vague as gently caress on his AMA blog because he was 200% sure that Sony would call any day now and tell him to make more of it.

I was actually kind of upset that YJ came back just because he was proven right for that show...

Now this is not true. Wiseman even stated that Spectacular is dead as doornail. As rights issues killed it, not anything else. It literally can't be renewed. Also from the last I heard him talk about it, he stated they had no plans to kill Gwen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Now this is not true. Wiseman even stated that Spectacular is dead as doornail. As rights issues killed it, not anything else. It literally can't be renewed. Also from the last I heard him talk about it, he stated they had no plans to kill Gwen.

I'll have to go back and look so I could be misremembering, but I remember when someone asked him for details on the 3rd season, he said he didn't want to divulge on anything in case it got picked back up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

People seem really hung up on the idea that Greg Weisman is some kind of egomaniac, it feels like.

I think that mostly stems from him still acting like YJ was coming back for years after its cancellation and staunchly refusing to tell any details of planned future plots or some of the lingering plot mysteries.

...Of course he turned out to be right in the end, so oh well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whether the show comes back or not, that’s his own drat business. He’s not under any obligation to divulge anything.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like a shame to plan out a big ol' story and never tell it. It seems insane to keep all those story plans at the ready, holding out hope for years that the show will get resurrected so you can just resume everything like it's all still fresh.

Like either he's doggedly pitching to execs all the time or he's practicing some unholy rites to get picked back up.

Fuego Fish posted:

Things like that kind of make you wonder what the show is really about, you know? It's not about following the characters if it'll just cut away for some of the most pivotal moments of their lives, it's just a story for the sake of itself.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

My basis on the SSM S3 thing was from an interview he gave about 9 or 10 years ago and he gave vague inclinations about some things, with Gwen dying being something that was hinted at being explored as one of them. So if he changed his mind on that I wasn't aware.

If Barbara's condition is explored in the next half that would be nice but again this is just something I don't like about how new seasons start with this show. Starting 6 months later or something is one thing if you didn't finish your previous season on a cliffhanger designed to be resolved at the top of the next one. Starting 5 years later is, again, asking a lot from your audience and especially if you're going to start with the team you grew attached to being splintered and characters having regressed from the growth they had previously.

To this day I do not understand what was the point of showing M'gann so broken up that her powers almost killed a friend during a training exercise if they were just going to undo that for most of season 2 where she almost kills several people with those powers, including another close friend.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Either way, he’s been very upfront about Spectacular, given we have all this: http://remarkage.blogspot.com/2014/07/season-3.html?m=1

And he’s said similar stuff for WITCH. And there’s all that well known stuff about his plans for Gargoyles as a series, which was due to Eisner wanting to using it as a launching point for Disney’s own hero universe stuff.

The only time he was actually tight lipped about anything was Young Justice, which actually happened. This reputation of his is completely unwarranted.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Aces High posted:

I gotta say, there's something oddly hilarious of you bringing up Barbara now being wheelchair-bound juxtaposed with your avatar of Sideshow Bob licking a foot. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Justice League vs the Fatal Five is ehh, it was alright. It was my introduction to Jessica Cruz though, and I was kinda digging her character. Is she the primary lantern right now in the comics? Would be cool to see a live-action movie based around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

Justice League vs the Fatal Five is ehh, it was alright. It was my introduction to Jessica Cruz though, and I was kinda digging her character. Is she the primary lantern right now in the comics? Would be cool to see a live-action movie based around her.

Nah. Per usual there's several Lanterns running around. She used to be co-Green Lantern of Earth with Simon Baz and maybe still is.