Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zzulu posted:

I was complaining about the saturation of it

please explain the promised land you come from where art doesn't carry political significance so I can laugh at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zzulu posted:

Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of toxic morons. I made a huge mistake venturing back into CD, no wonder everyone says this place is poo poo these days
bye

Yes it is clearly our fault that your opening statement was "hey look everybody I poo poo my pants"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

It's part of their schtick. RLM's brand of comedy isn't for everyone.

My problem is that it doesn’t feel like comedy at all. I’m familiar with their usual stuff, and that segment drops most of their self-effacing or affected ennui style of humour in favour of what feels like a genuinely mean spirited attack. And though, yeah, they’re not as outspokenly malicious as the really vocal CHUDs, a lot of their arguments are taken from the same handbook.

As for the actual review...it’s basically the same review they do for almost every film. “Eh...it’s okay, I guess...I don’t really care.”

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

"Whoah people actually ask that I contribute something to the conversation and not drive-by shitpost? lmao CD sucks so toxic" is far and away the best genre of post in this sub

Also RLM is insanely trash and anyone the least bit surprised that they're essentially telling Brie Larson to smile more should check out the entire series of videos wherein they roleplay as a rapist ~for laffs~

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zzulu posted:

Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of toxic morons. I made a huge mistake venturing back into CD, no wonder everyone says this place is poo poo these days
bye

Waaaaaaaah.

Also, RLM has gotten worse (maybe they were never good?) and are borderline chuds.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who pretends to be ironically lovely is really only pretending about the ironic part

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

"Whoah people actually ask that I contribute something to the conversation and not drive-by shitpost? lmao CD sucks so toxic" is far and away the best genre of post in this sub

I found out he is from Sweden which is a hilarious country to claim is above politics in pop culture

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I will defend Best of the Worst forever and have no investment in defending anything else from them

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“I don’t understand what the point of traffic lights is.”

“So people don’t crash their cars.”

“Who said anything about cars?”

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I do like how "I liked that blacks trans hooker movie" is basically the critic version of "I have black friends"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I agree with RLM. I don't think they said anything particularly controversial.

I've never liked Brie Larson though so I didn't mind them heckling her.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like criticizing someone for what they say or act like on press tours is poor form because press tours are hell and fundamentally dehumanizing

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"I dunno, guys, maybe if this woman wasn't so uppity, she'd have a good point."

*watches movie where people telling woman to suppress her emotions because they are afraid of her true potential is a really bad thing and still common even today*

"wow, she is such a snarky bitch in this movie, huh?"

Movie was good. It sold me on Carol Danvers as a character that I'm looking forward to seeing interact with the other characters in the MCU. Movie didn't take itself too seriously, which is fine, because the last thing I want is another pretentious Superman film about hiding who you are to protect the ones you love. She was fun to watch, especially during her victory lap in the final act.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

My problem is that it doesn’t feel like comedy at all. I’m familiar with their usual stuff, and that segment drops most of their self-effacing or affected ennui style of humour in favour of what feels like a genuinely mean spirited attack. And though, yeah, they’re not as outspokenly malicious as the really vocal CHUDs, a lot of their arguments are taken from the same handbook.

Ehh, still feels on brand for me :shrug: And like sure, they don't get a free pass because being jaded old fucks is part of their schtick, but even Jay calls out the chud mentality of dwelling on the issue, making the whole thing worse than it really should have been. Their approach to the issue feels more centrist than anything imo, but again, I understand why someone might not be a fan of that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

teagone posted:

Their approach to the issue feels more centrist than anything imo, but again, I understand why someone might not be a fan of that.

I would describe their response to this stuff as non-malicious but also deeply non reflective. Like, they aren't CHUDs, but they also aren't really interested in exploring the implications of their own subjectivity.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zzulu posted:

bye

To be fair Mel Mudkiper is universally mocked by everyone in CD and no one wants him here either. It's best to just gloss over his posts. You're responding to a gimmick account / troll.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I said come in! posted:

To be fair Mel Mudkiper is universally mocked by everyone in CD

That's a new one

EDIT: Oh lol you were the guy who got mad I said Jar Jar Binks evoked racist tropes.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 12, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ApeHawk posted:

"I dunno, guys, maybe if this woman wasn't so uppity, she'd have a good point."

*watches movie where people telling woman to suppress her emotions because they are afraid of her true potential is a really bad thing and still common even today*

"wow, she is such a snarky bitch in this movie, huh?"

Movie was good. It sold me on Carol Danvers as a character that I'm looking forward to seeing interact with the other characters in the MCU. Movie didn't take itself too seriously, which is fine, because the last thing I want is another pretentious Superman film about hiding who you are to protect the ones you love. She was fun to watch, especially during her victory lap in the final act.

Me too, it's a pretty obvious theme but it's a theme I like; people trying to suppress the true potential of a woman and then being asskicked when the weighted gloves come off like she's Rock Lee.

I like that she doesn't quite have the hangups about her power other heroes have, she's powerful and she likes it while also being a good person and a hero. She's having fun.

I also like the "I don't need to prove anything to you" at the end which was also a pretty obvious feminist message to me, I mean normally the plot arc is she does go to fisticuffs and still beats him but it was nice she just blasts him because yeah, she's powerful, he's not, he's the bad guy, why does she need to prove anything?

I literally snapped my fingers in the theater when I heard that line it was great.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raenir Salazar posted:

Me too, it's a pretty obvious theme but it's a theme I like; people trying to suppress the true potential of a woman and then being asskicked when the weighted gloves come off like she's Rock Lee.

I like that she doesn't quite have the hangups about her power other heroes have, she's powerful and she likes it while also being a good person and a hero. She's having fun.

I also like the "I don't need to prove anything to you" at the end which was also a pretty obvious feminist message to me, I mean normally the plot arc is she does go to fisticuffs and still beats him but it was nice she just blasts him because yeah, she's powerful, he's not, he's the bad guy, why does she need to prove anything?

I literally snapped my fingers in the theater when I heard that line it was great.

The little smirk after she blasted the jukebox was the happiest anyone has looked to have superpowers outside of Spiderman

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I do think the reason people see captain marvel as feminist is because it uses tropes of empowerment in a way which are so often used for men they have become implicitly gendered.

Which in itself is simultaneously revolutionary and overwhelming

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen a thought of yours expressed here that wasn’t regurgitated from someone else.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I agree with RLM. I don't think they said anything particularly controversial.

I've never liked Brie Larson though so I didn't mind them heckling her.

It’s more that what she said or didn’t say in an interview has no relevance to the review of the movie.

I liked her in the movie and didn’t feel her to be flat or boring, Carol has her low key humor and I liked that smirk she did when she trolls people. I could see her being percieved as flat in comparison to larger than life Tony Stark or Thor but to me she came off genuine and likeable even without the quips. Thought she had good chemistry wwith th Fury too, and I liked the simple joy she showed at being a badass in the last act.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zzulu posted:

bye

Lol, this guy went and hosed off back to the Red Letter Media GBS thread. Good job guys, way to be inclusive :v:

[Edit] I'm doing a double feature of Alita and Captain Marvel today. Want to give this movie another chance to convince me it wasn't as bland and boring as I thought it was.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 12, 2019

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Zzulu posted:

bye

and with this post 100% guaranteeing he'll be back

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

teagone posted:

Lol, this guy went and hosed off back to the Red Letter Media GBS thread. Good job guys, way to be inclusive :v:

I consider the fact I apparently drove both spiderhyphenman and zzulu to gbs a personal moral victory

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I consider the fact I apparently drove both spiderhyphenman and zzulu to gbs a personal moral victory

Wake me when we're back to talking about the movie itself instead of THE DISCOURSE.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

teagone posted:

That thread has several posters Definitely Not Mad at Brie Larson for being remotely critical of middle aged white men.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It still amazes me how mad they get about Episode 8, like even to this day the most recent page is dudes mad about Episode 8

I really liked episode 8 :shrug: but even if I didn't it certainly didn't do anything that deserves that much antipathy

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Admiral Thrawn is looking at my art and just goes :psyduck:

just wanted to say that this was excellent and it made me laugh

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

bye

Your avatar is perfect.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Lol what a baby

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It still amazes me how mad they get about Episode 8, like even to this day the most recent page is dudes mad about Episode 8

I really liked episode 8 :shrug: but even if I didn't it certainly didn't do anything that deserves that much antipathy

I have a weird feeling Captain Marvel’s gonna find itself on an equal hate pedestal. Like a considerable amount of comments on that extended Shazam clip that released yesterday were just people bitching about CM. With multiple, multiple replies to each comment. So look forward to YouTube recommending random-rear end CAPTAIN MARVEL RUINED THE MCU videos to you until the heat death of the universe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol who here got mad enough to give me a new avatar too?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just saw it, and really enjoyed it. It was fun and a good origin story and had some twists that I didn't expect. Skrulls being the refugees were surprising to me as I haven't read any comics seriously for a long time, but I was wondering why the Kree were being the a-o-k number one good guys since their entire presence in the MVU has been "these people are tyrannical shitheads", so it was good to see the conclusion work the way it did. Also, fuckin' A Goose is the best.

Edit:

Vintersorg posted:

Also, RLM has gotten worse (maybe they were never good?) and are borderline chuds.

I kind of thought their big debut long rear end review of one of the star wars movies was thought provoking but the bullshit 'killing women grandpa' thing had zero reason to exist. I watched part of their review of The Force Awakens and the fat slob pretty much complained about one of the leads being black and I turned it off. They loving huff their own farts and pretty much watching anything they produce is just wasting one's time on watching what will enforce the beliefs of incels and chuds.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 13, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Fart City posted:

I have a weird feeling Captain Marvel’s gonna find itself on an equal hate pedestal. Like a considerable amount of comments on that extended Shazam clip that released yesterday were just people bitching about CM. With multiple, multiple replies to each comment. So look forward to YouTube recommending random-rear end CAPTAIN MARVEL RUINED THE MCU videos to you until the heat death of the universe.

It feels like a great deal of the hate for Captain Marvel is coming form people who are deeply invested in DC. They are personally insulted that Marvel has done more business and are latching on to anything to attempt to tear down Marvel. So yeah, in twenty years we'll have the DC Marvel war, only it will be battle lines of fat virgins wearing capes versus everybody else.

Edit:lol at the BoTL being banned.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Got back from seeing this again. Second viewing didn't change my mind. SSJ Fire Mohawk costume still dope though. Hope the action in Endgame showcases her in proper fashion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Nobody is a fan of Warner Bros./Detective Comics.

CD’s favourite studios are A24 and Blumhouse.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

CD bad.

Brie Larson complains about a lack of PoC film critics while being a wealthy white woman oblivious to the socioeconomic issues that prevent the existence of a black/latino luxury class that can waste time and money pursuing film and literature liberal arts degrees, while simultaneously supporting the "woke" politicians that profit immensely from the school to prison pipeline. CHUDs criticize her for what she said upsetting their delicate male sensibilities, but the real problem is people clapping for lovely white "feminism" that is nothing more than an empty platitude.

Milwaukee is depressing.

Captain Marvel wasn't even good for a Marvel movie.

DC films are genuinely terrible.

Everything is horrible.

Death to America.

Hail Satan.

The piss tape is real.

Poz my neg rear end.

Honestly this feels like the most correct take amongst the 2 threads. It's pretty loving difficult to speak truth to power when you maintain the willful blindness necessary to be a hype man for one of the biggest propagators of exploitation in the world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

could fry an egg on that take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well excuse me for liking scrambled eggs!!!