Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The speculation is that this was also part of the point. That Deng could prove the army was trash and needed reforms.

Yeah, it was also to domestically weaken the PLA generals politically so it's easier to transfer resources from the military to economic buildup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I never said poo poo about human wave tactics. Why are words being put into my mouth? China did well in Korea as a result of surprisingly effective infiltration tactics that were honed during the Civil War and WW2. They also had surprise on their side.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mantis42 posted:

I never said poo poo about human wave tactics. Why are words being put into my mouth? China did well in Korea as a result of surprisingly effective infiltration tactics that were honed during the Civil War and WW2. They also had surprise on their side.

I'm just posting not accusing you of anything

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

I never said poo poo about human wave tactics. Why are words being put into my mouth?

yeah I'm right there w/ you, my dude

e: just posting?? never!!!! more like unjust posting!!!!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its really funny bc a lot of Millenium Dawn shenanigans involving civilian ships and stuff is exactly what China is doing.

Imagine some Chinese fisherman from guangdong being responsible for killing a us carrier group lol hell yeah

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Me, a very smart military procurement official: Obviously we need to install go-go-gadget legs on the bottom of every fighter jet in service for instantaneous takeoff. This retrofit will cost 345934509 trillion dollars and will add 23409823409809234 quadrillion dollars to existing fighter development programs. Any expense is acceptable for the safety of are country *loads numerous money sacks labeled "NOT KICKBACKS" into the back of my personal armored truck*

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why hasn't anyone come up with a stealth missile or a missile with EWAR capability

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Why hasn't anyone come up with a stealth missile or a missile with EWAR capability

Apparently it's easier to just make them go Mach 5.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mantis42 posted:

Theres also the fact the U.S army had essentially refused to upgrade since WWII. The Brass at the time thought that the same old stuff that worked in WWII would remain effective instead of upgrading like the Soviets were doing. You have infantry grunts firing now too small bullets being supported by Armored Battalions still driving around in Shermans. It was one of the things that really got the MIC rolling since they could point to Korea and say "Give us money to avoid this."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the US military sucks but everyone else on earth is literally worse aside from probably some tiny countries like iceland but thats because their entire military consists of a single platoon of delta force types in case of terrorism

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The best way to win a conventional war is to make fewer mistakes than your enemy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Theres also the fact the U.S army had essentially refused to upgrade since WWII. The Brass at the time thought that the same old stuff that worked in WWII would remain effective instead of upgrading like the Soviets were doing. You have infantry grunts firing now too small bullets being supported by Armored Battalions still driving around in Shermans. It was one of the things that really got the MIC rolling since they could point to Korea and say "Give us money to avoid this."

It's not that we wanted to not modernize, no one had the political power to find the money to do so. We had the bomb and the dominant navy no one at the time was expecting to stick our dick in asia for the next three decades

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The US Army was also led by total incompetents in Korea who basically Casey-at-bat'd all the way up to the Yalu, making no effort to do so in any strategic manner, just marauding like barbarians out of pure arrogance, and then were completely blindsided and obliterated when it turned out that all evidence that the Chinese were not loving around was proof that, in fact, the Chinese were not loving around

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
MacArthur is a lovely general but who was really, really good at PR so everybody thought he was good when he sucked

he's basically the guy at your workplace who hosed up but kept the bosses happy so he got promoted

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't see america going to war with russia and/or china based on the simple fact that there's absolutely nothing to gain from doing so and everything to lose. at the same time, we've still got a lot of imperial hubris in certain corners of government and business, so who knows

animist
Aug 28, 2018
posting some relevant old war nerd articles

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apparently it's easier to just make them go Mach 5.

I remember there was a test of some scramjet missile a few years ago that got up to mach 10 or mach 20 or something crazy like that (the ones launched via ICBM should be able to reach mach 20) and the US was like "the test was successful in that it flew really loving fast but we don't know where it went, maybe it landed somewhere in the Pacific but who knows"

Scramjets are one of the bad ideas that inevitably arises from using an ICBM for conventional warheads, because there's no way to determine what warhead is loaded in the missile, only that the missile has been fueled or launched. Launch a bunker-buster with an ICBM and it looks just like a loving MIRV as far as a missile defense operator is concerned. In the case of a scramjet, they fly in the upper atmosphere instead of space because they need oxygen and it is impossible to determine their target until a few seconds before impact. You could send one of those out to target Pyongyang and 30 seconds before impact no one knows if it's headed to PRK, ROK, Japan, eastern China, Indonesia, etc. and they can't know what the payload is either.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
shoot a laser through the earth at your target, duh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look -

Japan beat China and the US beat Japan so you see?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Look -

Japan beat China and the US bear Japan so you see?

and Vietnam beat the US, therefore

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the US military sucks but everyone else on earth is literally worse aside from probably some tiny countries like iceland but thats because their entire military consists of a single platoon of delta force types in case of terrorism
Iceland doesn't have a military

What would be the point? They're already treated as a natural aircraft carrier by america

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

obviously in the future we will settle our differences with video games so ww3 will be decided with a match of dota 2 or some poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

I remember there was a test of some scramjet missile a few years ago that got up to mach 10 or mach 20 or something crazy like that (the ones launched via ICBM should be able to reach mach 20) and the US was like "the test was successful in that it flew really loving fast but we don't know where it went, maybe it landed somewhere in the Pacific but who knows"

Scramjets are one of the bad ideas that inevitably arises from using an ICBM for conventional warheads, because there's no way to determine what warhead is loaded in the missile, only that the missile has been fueled or launched. Launch a bunker-buster with an ICBM and it looks just like a loving MIRV as far as a missile defense operator is concerned. In the case of a scramjet, they fly in the upper atmosphere instead of space because they need oxygen and it is impossible to determine their target until a few seconds before impact. You could send one of those out to target Pyongyang and 30 seconds before impact no one knows if it's headed to PRK, ROK, Japan, eastern China, Indonesia, etc. and they can't know what the payload is either.

Is there something preventing scramjets from being used in a ballistic missile instead of something massive like an ICBM? The only reason anybody thinks tomahawks aren't nuclear armed is because we insist all the nuclear tomahawks are retired.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is there something preventing scramjets from being used in a ballistic missile instead of something massive like an ICBM? The only reason anybody thinks tomahawks aren't nuclear armed is because we insist all the nuclear tomahawks are retired.

they're heavy and they have to be lifted up to 10s of km at a speed of mach 4 before their own engines can take over, ICBMs are powerful enough to do that. The scramjet is basically a ballistic missile in and of itself, just one that needs a massive booster. It couldn't take off on its own because the engine wont work at all until it's screaming fast already.

also everything I know about this is from an article I read whilst making GBS threads and typing up the op so take it with a grain of salt

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 03:34 on Mar 13, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

they're heavy and they have to be lifted up to 10s of km at a speed of mach 4 before their own engines can take over, ICBMs are powerful enough to do that. The scramjet is basically a ballistic missile in and of itself, just one that needs a massive booster

also everything I know about this is from an article I read whilst making GBS threads and typing up the op so take it with a grain of salt

No I get it. I looked up enough about scramjets to know they can't work without air moving through their intake at supersonic speeds to begin with, so you'd need a platform to get them up to that point to start with. The X-43 is the fastest hypersonic craft ever recorded, and it had to be deployed at altitude from a B-52.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Mar 13, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

American education is horrible, it is known

Today in class I had an entire classroom tell me they did not know who Napoleon was.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

jesus christ the zipper on my pants broke and my weiner was just flopping around

luckily everyone was at lunch

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
the way things are going I’m it sure there’s gonna be a US around to lose ww3

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

didn't read the thread, but: inshallah

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Torpor posted:

the way things are going I’m it sure there’s gonna be a US around to lose ww3

I mean like, c'mon dude, you are already failing so hard at handling shipping containers at mere 4% volume of one of your boogeyman's ports and you want to fight them at their doorstep?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crazy to think this thread has only become more relevant in the two years since I posted it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Crazy to think this thread has only become more relevant in the two years since I posted it.

you could post that in every c-spam thread

climate, doomsday economics, succ, my censored pitbull hate thread, all of them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I do not know which weapons WW4 will be fought with, but WW3 was fought with chen weihua

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

gas

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lifetime bitch alert

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the winners of WW3 will be whatever parts of Africa and South America haven't been nuked into the stone age by America and Russia

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
New Zealand might do ok

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the last six months have shown that if the united states had to fight ww3 they would surrender as soon as hostilities interrupted the flow of cheap chinese imports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

phenomenal military power, itty bitty leadership brains