Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danaru posted:

Chloe is written as an annoying teenager, and annoying teenagers annoy me so I've never liked Chloe. Also the twist of that game is weak as gently caress because the first thing you hear the antagonist say is exactly what a pedophile rapist would say, so I always assumed he was a pedophile rapist. Surprise!

What's the first thing he says? It's been a while since I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I can't recall exactly what he says but he says it during a part where you aren't meant to be paying attention for story reasons and it's very easy to miss.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Morpheus posted:

I looked it up and he says "I could frame any one of you in a dark corner, and capture you in a moment of desperation. And any one of you could do that to me. Isn't that too easy? Too obvious? What if Arbus chose to capture people at the height of their beauty or innocence?", which admittedly isn't as rapey as I remember but still an extremely :chloe: thing to say to a room full of teenagers and I never trusted him as a result.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

Dead Rising 2 felt mostly on purpose, since Chuck's whole character is well-meaning but loving dumb and most of the other characters are literally raving lunatics. Also it led to the gag with Bibi where Chuck tries his usual calmly explaining the situation tactic that never works, and one of the hostages yells "JUST DO WHAT SHE WANTS MAN" in frustration from off screen :allears:

Yeah, Dead Rising 2's definitely playing everything up - the other characters are a zombie-rights activist, a double-agent sheriff for a company farming cities for zombees instead of just breeding them in cows, and a guy who's game show ratings are slipping so he decides "gently caress it". NPCs are playing poker and DnD. Meanwhile Chuck just wants insulin, a cup of coffee, and dad jokes.

What really drags DR2 down is how the end of the game turns into just shooting those loving mega zombies with the audio-pulse weapons

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Warframe recently replaced its Alerts system, which created extra missions with random Alert-only rewards on any given mission node in the game. Among other things, the reasons given were that Alerts were too random, distracting people from Actual Content, and weren't friendly to newer players (since it doesn't matter if there's a really good reward for a mission on Saturn when you can't get to Saturn).

The replacement system, Nightwave, is really good! ...Except for the part where it actually solves none of those problems I said. It gives a random selection of daily and weekly challenges to get rewards, but there's still a decent chance you'll have to contort your playstyle a bit to get to them, and while you get a selection of rewards they're still random too. A bunch of them ask you to do some really specific things that can sidetrack you pretty far from whatever your normal gameplay plan is; I've noticed that I actually made less progress in the main game since Nightwave was around. And a bunch of the stuff it asks you to do is still things that players still progressing in the game can't do, it's just that now it's activities you don't have access to, rather than locations you don't have access to.

But to top it off: while Alerts were ignorable, Nightwave is not. The story that's going on in Nightwave has prison escapees randomly spawn in literally any mission in the game. These guys are straight assholes, way more durable than you'd expect and they have an awful fire patch attack, and they're just... there, now. Nightwave, unlike Alerts, bursts into regular gameplay whether you like it or not.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Don't forget the part where this week it was asking for you to do a mission for 60 minutes uninterrupted. I don't think I have ever been in a situation where I could not take a break from a game for 60 mins straight, even if it was just pausing. The fact that 2 of the weekly missions required that was just extra bad luck but so far nightwave has been honestly worse than alerts because its mostly a big time waster compared to alerts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I dodged 200 lightning bolts for the glory of video games and I'll do it again.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Shining Force EXA: I can teleport back to the Geo-Fortress, but I can't teleport my excess items into storage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A complaint I have about The World Ends With You is that it doesn't explain itself very well, so none of my pins have been evolving because I had no idea which ones even did, so I've been struggling the whole game with weak pins and struggling as a result. I have a bunch of pins equipped that will use shut-down experience to evolve so that will fix itself literally over (a few) nights, but I could have had evolved pins by mid-week 2, and now I'm starting Week 3. Not surprising I've been having trouble even on easy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the fall damage in metro exodus is so bad it feels like self-parody. You can die by sprinting down a ramp.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

just lol

https://twitter.com/mbowman/status/1103478877647560704

I played the demo and it didn’t grab me, looks like I lucked out :o:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Digirat posted:

the fall damage in metro exodus is so bad it feels like self-parody. You can die by sprinting down a ramp.

It's like Shadow Warrior reboot where you are encouraged to dash around as much as you can but your dude would die after dashing down stairs or slopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhgupYq_TA

Sininu has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Mar 10, 2019

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just beat the Assassins mission on Thief, playing on hard so I had to find the silver poker. After a lot of frustrating poking about I gave up and looked at a guide for the first time.

There's a lever in the fireplace that opens a crawlspace, the poker is in there.

Why is your poker behind the fire ffs?

I guess that it's valuable so he might not use it but I don't think there are any hints lying about like in previous missions so you're left to rely on logic.

e: And I left the mansion by diving into the water which spits you out into somewhere crawling with guards and only one exit point from the water. This mission started well but got obnoxious in a hurry.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Mar 10, 2019

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Sininu posted:

It's like Shadow Warrior reboot where you are encouraged to dash around as much as you can but your dude would die after dashing down stairs or slopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhgupYq_TA

I remember on the steam forums the devs tried to argue that it's more realistically what would happen if you did a teleport down some stairs

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fall damage in general sucks and should be kept to an absolute minimum unless the game is trying for hard realism. Movement in most games needs to be fun and fluid, and fall damage grinds any flow you had to a slamming halt, literally.

7 Days To Die is the worst, until recently slapping you with a 15 minute debuff for the sin of falling 3 meters (and a 45 minute debuff for falling 5). I believe they've reduced it to 3 and 5 minutes respectively which brings it down to "bad and annoying" down from "literal worst in game history debuff".

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Fall damage in general sucks and should be kept to an absolute minimum unless the game is trying for hard realism.

My favorite example of this is the Castlevania: Mirror of Fate reboot had fatal falling damage for relatively minor falls of about 15 feet or so.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Fall damage is one of those weird mechanics that nobody likes and virtually never improves the game it's in yet it keeps showing up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It just wouldn't be realistic if a superhuman man who takes contracts to kill super dangerous monsters could survive a six foot drop.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The trial of the grasses left Geralt with dainty liefeld ankles made of crystal

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hopefully devs take a look at the praise levelled at AC:Odyssey when it removed dying from fall damage (then, removed it entirely)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

There are a lot of people who claim this game's reputation is mostly down to its difficulty and being different than the original LoZ, but I'm fairly convinced this game is just crap in general.

The issue with the difficulty isn't that the moment to moment gameplay is hard, it really isn't. Most of the enemies have obvious movements and attacks, and once you understand their patterns they're not that much of an issue. Of course, it doesn't work as well in practice as on paper. The Iron Knuckles require you to slap their forehead with an awkward jumping slash to harm them, the Goriyas force you to stiffly block boomerangs coming forwards and on the return while trying to march inch by inch closer to the enemy, and the Dairas basically just require perfect timing or take a massive chunk off your health bar. It's no use getting good at the game if being good at the game doesn't feel sufficiently rewarding. Fighting these enemies isn't fun, it's annoying as poo poo because of how unerringly precise you have to be and how often they're simply just hurling high and low projectiles that you have to tediously block for 30 seconds until you get into attack range.

That's basically the number one issue with the game, tedium.

Lose all your lives and you have to start at the North Palace, meaning you have to slowly march back to where you died, avoiding overworld enemies, going through the same boring caves, reaching the palace, then remembering the route through the palace to get to where you were while killing the same enemies over again.
This isn't difficult, it's just brutally repetitive. Leveling your stats is just a mindless exercise in Link getting buffed in the most uncreative possible way, versus the original LoZ where you felt stronger due to having a more signifigant arsenal of tools at your disposal to creatively approach situations.

The only real benefit to this system is that it allows players who are mechanically lacking to brute force difficult segments using Magic and increased survivability, which is an admirable design decision, but it necessitates tedious grinding as a trade off.

And that's the biggest disappointment, Zelda II rewards tedious grinding and mechanical perfectionism, unlike its predecessor which rewarded creativity and exploration. Leveling up doesn't feel rewarding, nor does completing Palaces or finding items (often because you can't actually use the items) and worst of all, the amount of irritating enemies in the game is ridiculous.

Those flying eyeballs suck, those heads with the Castlevania Medusa Head flight path suck, the Red Daira axe throwers suck, the stupid heads that go up and down and shoot blue balls as they infinitely spawn suck, the dumb rocks flying across the desert areas suck, all the enemies suck and aren't fun to fight.

EDIT: Lol how did I forget the enemies that drain XP when they hit you.

EDIT II: Now that I think of it, the game doesn't even have the courtesy to permanently clear difficult rooms of enemies as they did in the original LoZ in case you have to back track or return to the dungeon. So many rear end backwards elements.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Mar 11, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fall damage makes sense if you want to control where the player can go without invisible walls. That includes forcing them down a safe path or giving them alternatives that are more limited than downright "jump off anything, any height, unharmed" or even flying.

In MMOs/open world RPGs eg. you might want the player to commit to fights instead of circumventing dangerous areas by jumping down a 100 m cliff - so you can keep fall damage, but give players a way to temporarily suspend it (Guild Wars 2's gliders in the first expansion) or let them survive all falls unless they have aggro (Final Fantasy 14). And in mostly linear action adventures like Uncharted you get to specify the path the player has to take for cutscenes/setpieces to trigger, and they won't get stuck in geometry they weren't supposed to land on in the first place (the latter is still hard enough, apparently :v:).

It doesn't really make sense in an open world game with lots of (optional) vertical movement where having fall damage means nothing but annoyance because you have to slowly and carefully climb back down from every mountain. And it certainly doesn't make sense to tune it so your superpowered video game hero dies to every 3 m/10 ft drop.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

As much as I love Zero Dawn, fall damage was one of the big things that stuck out for me - I'm lame so as usual I play it at baby difficulty, and it's always kinda jarring to run through the world at Captain America levels of superstrength, only to insta-die when you slide 20 feet down an incline that's steep enough for the game to judge you as "falling" :/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

As much as I love Zero Dawn, fall damage was one of the big things that stuck out for me - I'm lame so as usual I play it at baby difficulty, and it's always kinda jarring to run through the world at Captain America levels of superstrength, only to insta-die when you slide 20 feet down an incline that's steep enough for the game to judge you as "falling" :/

That an every jump is like a prebaked animation or something too so if you've got a two foot wide gap it still treats it like you're leaping across a river or something.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One weird thing that isn't necessarily a game's mechanics dragging it or down or even negatively effecting the game, but the continued myth that Ocarina of Time's Fire Temple theme was "censored" due to Muslim outraged from chanting within the song is just the most low effort spin of that situation in order to pull an Anti-PC angle by blaming a minority.

In reality, the root cause is just an age old Nintendo standard of leaving religious themes or symbolism out of their games, a rule that extends back to the original NES. They simply realized their mistake on their own and the '"fixed" version was in existence even before the game's release.

Not a huge deal, but people still use it as ammo in tiresome "censorship in videogames" debates.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I honestly like the theme with the chanting but yeah it's weird to claim outrage when I haven't seen any sources for this compared to Nintendo's usual self censoring when releasing in western regions.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gobblecoque posted:

Fall damage is one of those weird mechanics that nobody likes and virtually never improves the game it's in yet it keeps showing up.

Dying Light at least lets you destroy the concept of fall damage if you have good timing (after acquiring the respective skill)

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Oh my god yes this entire post. I played it on the Switch as a part of the free NES games included with the online subscription, and it's just ludicrously, hilariously unfair. The Switch version even includes built in save states that you can choose to abuse! I've cleared Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Hollow Knight, Hotline Miami- I'm a glutton for punishment and I had to stop. We're talking Nintendo Hard encounters in every single dungeon where 2 or 3 non-perfect inputs mean death and being sent back to the beginning, or worse, as you mentioned, the beginning of the game.

You're given spells which in theory help mitigate the enormous difficulty, but the mana costs are so prohibitively high and magic refill drops are so sparse that it's not near enough to keep up with the extremely punishing enemy design. On top of that, many enemies are just straight up immune to the few projectiles in the game you're given, a short ranged sword beam and a fireball that costs a hefty chunk of mana per-screen to use. (Also worth noting is that your sword slash is the only projectile in the game to fizzle out after a certain duration- not one enemy projectile in the game does this.) You also must draw from this same mana pool to perform skills like high jump and fly, which are required to progress in certain areas! Whee!

I thought it was funny that you mentioned the shield knights in particular, because while you can jump slash them for a guaranteed hit, the game ensures you can't do that in a number of scenarios by forcing you to fight them in cramped hallways with no room for jumping. Good luck frame-perfect blocking for extended periods and hoping that the enemy decides not to block your incoming attacks! And I mean that literally, decides, there is no pattern to the blocking, just a slim chance that they won't block appropriately when fought on the ground. And their sword is about twice as long as yours. And certain versions of them just do an unlimited range dagger throw. And counter with 5-6 attacks in rapid succession when damaged. And require somewhere in the realm of 7 hits to die. Reminder that Link can handle maybe 3 or 4 in the entire dungeon before dying, and there's no health restoring drops, at all!

It also has this RPG level system, where you may upgrade your attack, "life", or "magic" upon hitting every experience threshold. While this would be good in theory, the bonuses afforded to you are again nowhere near enough to keep up with the difficulty level. The above 7-hits example had about four levels in each, and grinding up to push any further would take hours of grinding.

I actually googled around after quitting and the amount of smarmy "This game is actually really good and beatable if you PLAY IT :smug:" from old gamefaqs and other forum posts is mind boggling. The game is horrible, and just because Zelda is in the title doesn't redeem it in any way.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poulpe posted:

Oh my god yes this entire post. I played it on the Switch as a part of the free NES games included with the online subscription, and it's just ludicrously, hilariously unfair.

I saw the same exact posts and it made me eyeroll so hard. Even if you're able to handle the enemies decently well, it still says nothing about how the game massively over punishes you for loving up. What excuse is there for starting over at the North Palace? That your lives counter is a load of bullshit and gives you "3 lives" but you only have two additional chances? That one of the 50 annoying flying enemies knocks you into an instakill pit? That, as you said, you're forced to fight Iron Knuckles in areas where you can't jump and have to manically smash the attack button until you randomly hit? That you lose all XP on death?

Not to mention that the extra lives across the map are one time pickups, so they're incredibly limited in use and best saved for the last palace.

Even if the game wasn't full of bullshit encounters these design choices would still be excessively harsh.
Retro gamers are so full of poo poo about these things regardless, they'll tell you Ninja Gaiden isn't hard because it's just about memorizing enemy placement as if that doesn't take a million deaths in order to accomplish for the whole game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Retro gamers are so full of poo poo about these things regardless, they'll tell you Ninja Gaiden isn't hard because it's just about memorizing enemy placement as if that doesn't take a million deaths in order to accomplish for the whole game.

counterpoint to anyone who says ninja gaiden is about memorizing enemy placement: the birds will still gently caress you over even if you know where they are.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

That an every jump is like a prebaked animation or something too so if you've got a two foot wide gap it still treats it like you're leaping across a river or something.

This I just rationalize as Aloy being like me, innately self-conscious and getting way too far into her own head when trying to do stuff. Like a constant internal monologue of oh god oh god what if I don't jump far enough and somebody sees me trip and fall *goes all in on mighty leap over six-inch crack*

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My lack of direction is dragging Thief down. I wandered into a building really early into a mission and found a key piece of loot. There was a locked chest, I found a key later, remembered the chest and went back to the building. Except after half an hour of searching I've given up on finding it, I just can't find my way back. It's not a small building. How am I this dumb.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's one of the things that drives me up the wall about the Thief games. The diegetic maps are a neat touch and all but it also means if you get lost you're just hosed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm starting to actually clear out the worlds in Mario Odyssey, which means the 100 jump rope jumps moon is becoming unavoidable.

I'm also missing some purple coins on a couple worlds where I have every moon, and I'm going to have to look those up because there are no in-game hints to them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm starting to actually clear out the worlds in Mario Odyssey, which means the 100 jump rope jumps moon is becoming unavoidable.

Ah that one's not too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO4j48utnos&t=425s

Or you can get in that R in the background, walk it over and pop out and it should count every swing as if you've jumped it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Watchdogs 2 really fumbles the ending. The three mission strings that lead into the finale are pretty good, but then... I liked the idea of getting to play as the other members of DedSec but those sections are really half-baked and Josh and Ray are relegated to background tasks anyway so any chance of a proper build-up is squandered. Then the actual final mission is...basically just a normal mission but at the end there's a really limp setpiece that you can largely ignore followed by a huge wave of enemies that you can also ignore. And the big cap off is...the bad guy loses. No great comeuppance, no ironic twist, just...okay he's in jail now. Yawn.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In relation to Watch Dogs 2: For all my gripes with Nier: Automata (Sell your loving weapons Emil) I think the chapter-select is an excellent idea. When you get the 3rd ending you can freely go back and forth to any point in the story and carry your levels and gear with you. This lets you find all the joke endings as well as complete any outstanding sidequests (Finished side-quests don't reset) without wasting too much time. This is helpful because important quest-givers will die and entire settlements will be razed over the course of the story.

If you could apply this chapter-select system to other games you could avoid the Horatio problem, where characters in the main-plot can't appear in side-content because they have to die, so you don't really give a poo poo about them when they do persish since they're so underdeveloped and irrelevant to the game mechanically.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doom does that too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If you could apply this chapter-select system to other games you could avoid the Horatio problem, where characters in the main-plot can't appear in side-content because they have to die, so you don't really give a poo poo about them when they do persish since they're so underdeveloped and irrelevant to the game mechanically.

Saint's Row 2 had the same problem where you could do any of the gangs in any order and certain characters died/became incapacitated in some way during the mission sets. So you have this awkward situation where at the start of the game you bring together all of your lieutenants and then once you actually start doing stuff two of them just kind of vanish outside of their respective missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Re: Zelda 2 chat, I just played it for the first time recently (and doing a new game+) and while every single criticism is spot on, I really enjoyed it.

git gud