Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elendil was canonically an inch shy of eight feet tall. I hope they take this into account during casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

What's funny is they actually only need to cast some short people to be normal humans and that will get across how tall the elves and numenoreans are real easily

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Akallabeth is one of those berenstein bears things where I always thought it was Akabelleth.

What language is Akallabeth anyway? Numenorean?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Was anybody in Numenor even normal height?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Akallabeth is one of those berenstein bears things where I always thought it was Akabelleth.

What language is Akallabeth anyway? Numenorean?

Yes, Adunaic for “the Downfallen” — as a translation joke, it matches up to the preexisting Quenya stem talát to translate into elvish as “Atalantë”.

Mahoning posted:

Was anybody in Numenor even normal height?

Probably not, or one would assume they would name the 7’11” guy something a bit less understated than “the Tall”

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Elendil and his Bronn-esque bodyguard who's only 7'1" and is called "Tiny"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

Probably not, or one would assume they would name the 7’11” guy something a bit less understated than “the Tall”

Maybe they were kidding, or trying to make him feel better. "Never mind Elendil! You're only 74, maybe you'll grow a bit more! Put some fertiliser in your boots!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I picked up re-reading LOTR again the other day after stalling out at Christmastime around Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes. The writing is SO GOOD after Frodo, Sam, and Gollum leave Faramir and are marching to the crossroads and towards Cirith Ungol. You really get this feeling of impending doom with the way Tolkien describes how there are no birds or beasts or really any sounds, the days are nearly indistinguishable from nights, the thunder/earthquakes rumbling.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
One of many things that Tolkien is so good at, but that gets lost in the noise from all the genre knockoffs, is building that sense of utter failure just before the final victory. Mordor is utterly desolate, Frodo is absolutely spiritually and physically broken, he and Sam technically fail at their quest, the armies of Men are throwing themselves away for no hope after they're shown Frodo's gear. So many other fantasy or adventure works have a similar phase in their storytelling, but it's rarely ever as convincing or effective.

Presumably being part of the generation to live in despair in the trenches in his youth had something to do with his ability to create this effect in his writing.

Red Cat
Nov 4, 2008
Anyone interested in Tolkien’s writing of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, and who plans to be in NYC before May 12, 2019, should spend an hour or so visiting the Morgan Library for its exhibit of Tolkien’s original art and drafts. I found it worth the $22 admission.

https://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/tolkien

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Red Cat posted:

Anyone interested in Tolkien’s writing of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, and who plans to be in NYC before May 12, 2019, should spend an hour or so visiting the Morgan Library for its exhibit of Tolkien’s original art and drafts. I found it worth the $22 admission.

https://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/tolkien

Did they let you take photos?

I was really hoping someone would go and take a shitload of photos.

edit: drat no photos, dammit

Red Cat
Nov 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did they let you take photos?

I was really hoping someone would go and take a shitload of photos.

Yeah, no photos :-(

The book has photos of most of the exhibit items.
https://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Maker-Middle-earth-Catherine-McIlwaine/dp/1851244859

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Totally not gonna miss that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mahoning posted:

So I picked up re-reading LOTR again the other day after stalling out at Christmastime around Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes. The writing is SO GOOD after Frodo, Sam, and Gollum leave Faramir and are marching to the crossroads and towards Cirith Ungol. You really get this feeling of impending doom with the way Tolkien describes how there are no birds or beasts or really any sounds, the days are nearly indistinguishable from nights, the thunder/earthquakes rumbling.

I like how Tolkien pays attention to the fact that his characters need water to live, unlike 99.9999999% of boring stupid fantasy writers.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

skasion posted:

Yes, Adunaic for “the Downfallen” — as a translation joke, it matches up to the preexisting Quenya stem talát to translate into elvish as “Atalantë”.

Oh my god that old punster.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

tired: making a pun
wired: making a pun that works across several languages
inspired: inventing your own set of several languages complete with vocabulary, linguistic history and complex grammar and then basing a hugely influential lifetime‘s worth of stories on that in order to make a pun

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like how Tolkien pays attention to the fact that his characters need water to live, unlike 99.9999999% of boring stupid fantasy writers.

Yeah but none of his characters have to piss or poo poo which just ruins my immersion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Octy posted:

Yeah but none of his characters have to piss or poo poo which just ruins my immersion.
What do you think was in that box of earth?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sam does imagine that Orcs have been taking massive dumps in Shelob’s tunnel for centuries, based on the smell.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Bongo Bill posted:

Elendil was canonically an inch shy of eight feet tall. I hope they take this into account during casting.

and I think Thingol was the tallest guy ever in middle earth, just how goddamn big was he?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Círdan is of the same generation as Elwe and isn’t huge so I don’t know.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Elu gets “tallest of all the children of Ilúvatar” as an epithet in the QS. Cirdan was just an elflet

Actually LOTR says Cirdan was “very tall” and the hobbits have been swanning around with Aragorn who is comfortably basketball height all book at that point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well there you go.

Círdan is also just crazy old. Is the the oldest named elf in middle earth in LOTR?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Well there you go.

Círdan is also just crazy old. Is the the oldest named elf in middle earth in LOTR?

Yeah gotta be. He’s the only elf we see who has exited the prime stage and entered the beard-having stage, although that isn’t strictly about literal age. Galadriel and Elrond are definitely younger. I guess Glorf could be around the same age but I don’t think there’s anything to suggest it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

IIrc (can't remember where I saw it tho) Cirdan might well be a first generation elf, and if he's not then like second or third at the very least. The Elves awoke in the Year of the Trees 1050. One YoT was equal to 9.52 solar years, so if we calculate (1500 [when Melkor destroyed the trees] - 1050] * 9.52 and then add the years of the First Age (590), the Second Age (3441) and the Third Age (3021) we arrive at 11,336 years, give or take a few centuries seeing as he might have been born a bit after the Awakening and left Middle-Earth at an unknown point in time during the Fourth Age

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I was reading Shelob's Lair last night and busted out laughing when I got to this passage (if you've been reading this thread in recent months, you'll know why):

Frodo posted:

'Come! Let us see what Sting can do. It is an elven-blade. There were webs of horror in the dark ravines of Beleriand where it was forged.'

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I was reading Shelob's Lair last night and busted out laughing when I got to this passage (if you've been reading this thread in recent months, you'll know why):

Excuse you, it could have been forged in some other town called Beleriand

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please don’t trigger me. I’m a mess over here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The movies are better than the books

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Sam does imagine that Orcs have been taking massive dumps in Shelob’s tunnel for centuries, based on the smell.

He should know too, they stumbled on an orc latrine earlier in Ithilien

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like the "No masks, wizard staffs, scepters, axes, bow and arrows, or swords are permitted" rule.

I wonder how sick the guards get of nerds smiling smugly and saying "would you part an old man from his walking stick?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Runcible Cat posted:

I like the "No masks, wizard staffs, scepters, axes, bow and arrows, or swords are permitted" rule.

I wonder how sick the guards get of nerds smiling smugly and saying "would you part an old man from his walking stick?"

Háma Wasn't Wrong

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hama in the books wasnt just a dumbass who doesnt realize the staff is a weapon, he actively decides to let Gandalf in because he has a hunch that it's for the best

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I saved the kingdom of Rohan and all I got was this lovely gravemound

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I don't know, getting hewed at the gates is a pretty badass way to go.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't know, getting hewed at the gates is a pretty badass way to go.

It's actually really unpleasant.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

skasion posted:

I saved the kingdom of Rohan and all I got was this lovely gravemound

As good at guarding the gate in death as in life. Actually, probably better, he presents a mild tripping hazard now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Hama in the books wasnt just a dumbass who doesnt realize the staff is a weapon, he actively decides to let Gandalf in because he has a hunch that it's for the best

The look on his face in the movie gives me a subtle hint of the same thing, although that could just be carried over from the book for me.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The look on his face in the movie gives me a subtle hint of the same thing, although that could just be carried over from the book for me.

As someone who watched the movies first, I got the same impression. He definitely gives a look that says "we both know you're a fuckin wizard and that's your staff, but whatever, I trust you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sassassin posted:

It's actually really unpleasant.

I never said it was pleasant, I said it was badass.