Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so after reading a couple guides it looks like you always want to draw like crazy but never use any spells because that decreases the stat bonuses the drawn spells give?

That...... seems dumb. So you basically either attack or summon all the time? That seems boring.

And always use potions because healing spells are rare early on and they're good stat boosters?

And always boost your magic stat as high as possible at all times so that you can draw more?

Your stats only decrease if that particular spell is junctioned to your stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so after reading a couple guides it looks like you always want to draw like crazy but never use any spells because that decreases the stat bonuses the drawn spells give?

That...... seems dumb. So you basically either attack or summon all the time? That seems boring.

And always use potions because healing spells are rare early on and they're good stat boosters?

And always boost your magic stat as high as possible at all times so that you can draw more?

If you want to destroy the games curve, yes. Like we mentioned, you basically never want to fight random battles and never use spells and you'll shatter the games difficulty. We're talking an hour or so of setup at the beginning and middle of the game will carry you through 90% of boss fights in one or two limit breaks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

If you want to destroy the games curve, yes. Like we mentioned, you basically never want to fight random battles and never use spells and you'll shatter the games difficulty. We're talking an hour or so of setup at the beginning and middle of the game will carry you through 90% of boss fights in one or two limit breaks.

And for Limit Breaks you just allow yourself to get hurt down to low HP and go ham?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That the nice thing with high HP stats. You can have the average HP of the area and be in the yellow so you can be able to cast limit breaks still.

When I was doing my playthrough I did a mixture of using stuff like the cards and tent melting for better stats, but still leave on enemy encounters, but melting them into cards at times. That said, I left it on no encounters after entering the Lunatic Pandora due to the fact I am at level 29 with Squall and every 10 levels brings on stat buffs for the enemies and new AI routines so I rather avoid that when I am just getting close to a series of bosses before the last boss.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

And for Limit Breaks you just allow yourself to get hurt down to low HP and go ham?

Yep. You dont even have to get hurt on purpose, just equip healing magic to health and your max HP increases but current HP is static.

If you want to ignore this advice and attempt to play this game like other JRPGs youre going to have a really rough time. In order to pace stat gains you have to grind out the abilities on GFs that give you additional stat gains on level up and never grind as doing otherwise means two things. The first is enemy stat growth and spell acquisition will make it so they outpace not only your base stats but even your junctioned stats starting around level 40-50 and if you go even farther, well max damage is 9999 with no way to break the cap so enjoy not being able to deal enough damage even with max stats to kill enemies in a reasonable timeframe.

Basically in FFVIII there are a half-dozen ways to break the games difficulty completely or one way to play on hard mode by just playing it like a normal JRPG and absolutely no middle ground

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Alright I'll check a couple FAQs and gently caress around before I fight the comm tower boss again. I just want everyone to be able to do more than attack and more importantly know WHY.

If you want people to do more than attack you shouldn't be playing ff8 to be honest

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LOL this game seems poorly designed!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

But enough about Final Fantasy 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's actually perfect for idiot 13-year olds such as myself since you can beat it without even knowing how to use junctions!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elephant Ambush posted:

...whatever

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FF8 isn't a hard game. My first run through, I played like a traditional JRPG and used magic like crazy and didn't really gently caress with junctioning a huge amount and it was absolutely fine. All that junctioning to break the game is a fun thing you can do but it's absolutely not necessary to powergame the thing.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'd argue the opposite - the game can and a hell of a lot of the time is played like a regular JRPG, but to absolutely break it you have to intentionally go against every instinct you've learned from playing anything else in the genre. The fact that you can get Hella Strong in multiple different ways is a bonus, not a problem, and the level that people talk about using enc-none and card mods and all that is like asking for help in making a grilled cheese and the first thing someone tells you is "okay so first off if you're not grinding your own flour for the bread from whole wheat berries smh"

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 12, 2019

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wait, how much of an impact does this have? Because my overriding memory of FF VIII was sheer frustration at how long I would spend Drawing in fights instead of, you know, having fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A lot. Like going from drawing 1-3 to drawing mire than 20

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Tibeerius posted:

Wait, how much of an impact does this have? Because my overriding memory of FF VIII was sheer frustration at how long I would spend Drawing in fights instead of, you know, having fun.

Edit:

See above

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

:suicide:
Was this called out somewhere in the tutorials and I just missed it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephant Ambush posted:

The hardest parts of the game for me were always the Red Dragon and Flying SeeD guy button mash. Both of which you can lose as much as you want.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's people that never touched the junction system and still beat the game, you tell me :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFVIII was very experimental with its systems. (No treasure chests, armor etc.)

I think its a very impressive game and a lot effort went to make the world immersive and realistic but the rpg mechanics are bit of a mess.

Though its kinda fun to mess with it since you can freely build your characters and theres some funny abilities (Kamikaze lol) and classic ones like Darkside

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Bell_ posted:

Is that the place with the room where you farm shockwave pulsar for Quistis?

Maybe?

You can farm for dark matter in the deep sea research center by converting tri-face cards.

Also FF8 rules.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tibeerius posted:

:suicide:
Was this called out somewhere in the tutorials and I just missed it?

I think, and dont quote me on this, they vaguely allude to it during the junction tutorial when they explain what each stat does by saying it "improves draw" but it never is mentioned again. It sure as hell doesnt indicate what the breakpoints are or how much more you can draw with high Mag versus low Mag.

It also effects how much you draw from the static draw points which means if you have high Mag that static draw of Ultima you get access to during disc 2 is absurdly broken. Why yes, Squall and Co should have 255 strength before disc 3

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

FFVIII was very experimental with its systems. (No treasure chests, armor etc.)

I think its a very impressive game and a lot effort went to make the world immersive and realistic but the rpg mechanics are bit of a mess.

Though its kinda fun to mess with it since you can freely build your characters and theres some funny abilities (Kamikaze lol) and classic ones like Darkside

I'm noticing that there are very few side paths and mazes so far and not much exploring to do when you're not in the overworld map. Is there anything missable aside from the draw fountains?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

You can go ahead and cast your magic, even the junctioned stuff, casting one of the spells only reduces the gain by 1% so on spells that give less then 100 points you can even cast it multiple times before losing another point gain

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Booourns posted:

You can go ahead and cast your magic, even the junctioned stuff, casting one of the spells only reduces the gain by 1% so on spells that give less then 100 points you can even cast it multiple times before losing another point gain
But the ultimate stat is number of magic in which case 99 is untidy compared to 100

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Booourns posted:

LMAO if you think I'm not going to try to min max the poo poo out of this after everything I learned today.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Abilities come from GFs. If you remove a GF, it also removes all the abilities you had junctioned from them. So when you junction a GF, the next thing you should do is junction abilities. How are you supposed to know that you need to junction abilities? The junction tutorial.

If you're reading a walkthrough that's telling you to draw a shitload of magic from enemies, you're reading a bad walkthrough. That's the boring way to break the game. Try going a while without trying to break the game, and then come back and ask us about cards.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

Abilities come from GFs. If you remove a GF, it also removes all the abilities you had junctioned from them. So when you junction a GF, the next thing you should do is junction abilities. How are you supposed to know that you need to junction abilities? The junction tutorial.

Yes I know that now and it's dumb and bad.

quote:

If you're reading a walkthrough that's telling you to draw a shitload of magic from enemies, you're reading a bad walkthrough. That's the boring way to break the game. Try going a while without trying to break the game, and then come back and ask us about cards.

LOL no. I'm doing what I want.

And yes I've been intentionally holding off asking about cards til later.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Ambush posted:

And yes I've been intentionally holding off asking about cards til later.
Nothing relevant is permanently missable card-wise until like... disc four, and even then I think there's workarounds, just to reassure you that you're okay on this front.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think you can theoretically get every special card on disc 4 but it involves manipulating card rules and drops in a way that takes more effort than most other post game optional content in FFs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It requires playing one person who runs through every rare card, one at a time, in order. There's no manipulation required.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
personally, I think it's kind of a waste to try a bunch of junction min-maxing on your first playthrough of VIII. the game isn't that hard to begin with, and doing things like slapping Enc-None on from Disc 1 while grinding out high-level spells from card modding and poo poo just make everything a breeze. sure enemies level up with you, but the game doesn't become impossible if you just fight random battles like a normal person.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I think I finally defeated the real superboss of FF6 - making the chicken theme usable!

(Playing on SNES, had to recreate in emulator)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah ff8 sucks rear end

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

You can only draw 9 at most per turn, but yeah, magic is how you get to that.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Please do not get all your magic through Draw unless you want an extremely boring playthrough. Make your GFs learn the foo-RF (refinement) abilities, then make your magic off your enemy drops and cards. The magic crafting system is the best thing about this game and people miss it entirely.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm noticing that there are very few side paths and mazes so far and not much exploring to do when you're not in the overworld map. Is there anything missable aside from the draw fountains?

Nothing major I think. Once you get a proper airship definitely take some time to explore the map.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You can only draw 9 at most per turn, but yeah, magic is how you get to that.

Looks like its 9 in battle and 15 from draw points, so Im wrong and my memory is trash.

As mea culpa in the demo of FFVIII drawing takes longer because Square apparently wanted to make sure you really enjoyed that mechanic.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 13, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The main problem with the mechanic is it's too drawn out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

First thing you do in 8 is go to the beach and get enough AP for Card. You then proceed to Card every enemy you face, while keeping Draw on one person for the occasion you need to Draw a GF. Sitting and Drawing over and over is terrible garbage (that I totally did my first playthrough where I wasn't there for the GF tutorial and never figured it out, accidentally making my first playthrough a no-junction run that stalled out at the end of disc 3).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nephzinho posted:

First thing you do in 8 is go to the beach and get enough AP for Card. You then proceed to Card every enemy you face, while keeping Draw on one person for the occasion you need to Draw a GF. Sitting and Drawing over and over is terrible garbage (that I totally did my first playthrough where I wasn't there for the GF tutorial and never figured it out, accidentally making my first playthrough a no-junction run that stalled out at the end of disc 3).

OK so I beat the dinosaur last night. It took a million years of Squall casting Shiva followed by Quistis casting Sleep but it wasn't hard. Just tedious.

What is all this GF poo poo you guys keep talking about? I only have 4 total GFs and I'm only level 10. I don't have access to any of that stuff.

So tell me about cards. Sounds like they're for more than Triple Triad? When should I start playing that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Triple Triad is the main game of FF8, the story and combat are the side content.