Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

boooo

e: Quote for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

stupid_and_bool

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I see what you did there

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PremiumSupport posted:

stupid_and_bool

Why would you convert a long into a bool? You make no sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Stupid_and_UTCDateTime

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

This made me laugh out loud

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Day 2 of Spring Break:

Spoiler: It's the same user

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Day 2 of Spring Break:

Spoiler: It's the same user

Well, uploading letters isn't exactly rocket science, now is it

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, uploading letters isn't exactly rocket science, now is it

If we turn email into a 3 body problem, I will cheer. gently caress email.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chin up everything sucks posted:

If we turn email into a 3 body problem, I will cheer. gently caress email.

Unsolvable and infuriating to try?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Unsolvable and infuriating to try?

Exactly, so we stop using the stupid antique system and get a new communication standard with problems that aren't 30 years old.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
But my 3mb background .bmp!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Exactly, so we stop using the stupid antique system and get a new communication standard with problems that aren't 30 years old.

We're stuck with it, because the alternatives are all proprietary shitboxes that are huge resource hogs even before you even send a single message.
E-mail still is the least worst solution.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

We're stuck with it, because the alternatives are all proprietary shitboxes that are huge resource hogs even before you even send a single message.
E-mail still is the least worst solution.

All these 24 standards are poo poo, we should make a new standard that addresses all the previous issues. There are now 25 competing standards.

At least with email SFP/DKIM cuts down on the sheer volume of bullshit. Can't wait for SIP to end up the same way, but given telecom is at best 500x worse than email ever could be, that'll happen sometime after either the heat death of the universe or someone solving P=NP and using it to make a shackled hard AI that screens his calls.

"Lo-look-look it you asshat, for the last time you're no-no-not the IRS, stopppppp callllllinng-ng-nggggggggg meeeeeeeeeee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

All these 24 standards are poo poo, we should make a new standard that addresses all the previous issues. There are now 25 competing standards.

At least with email SFP/DKIM cuts down on the sheer volume of bullshit. Can't wait for SIP to end up the same way, but given telecom is at best 500x worse than email ever could be, that'll happen sometime after either the heat death of the universe or someone solving P=NP and using it to make a shackled hard AI that screens his calls.

"Lo-look-look it you asshat, for the last time you're no-no-not the IRS, stopppppp callllllinng-ng-nggggggggg meeeeeeeeeee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo

I am in favour of removing Shodan's ethical constraints to deal with robocallers. The inevitable destruction of humanity is a reasonable price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The entire industry missed a trick by not wanting to do ENUM, but then if you have a published way to connect voice to an endpoint you don't need a carrier any more, sooo...

Just things like number ports always having the potential to spring back to the original provider who had the range 30 years ago, with neither party knowing what's happened makes telecoms stuff so awesome.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thanks Ants posted:

Must have swapped hundreds out, especially as I got into the practise of walking up to anybody with a CRT who wasn’t treating me like poo poo and diagnosing it as having geometry or focus problems and replacing it with an LCD.

I did this in like 2010. I diagnosed people with "having a CRT" in my crusade to suffer once and purge the building of those things so I'd only have to move them one more time to the recycler pallet.

At least with the CRT->LCD I don't think I had anyone here bitching about wanting their old monitor back. Now they want different keyboards and I get to tell them no since the only other ones we have are ps/2 and the newest PCs are legacy free.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Found this on Imgur killing time on a call.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kurieg posted:

Am I parsing this image right? It looks like that that mess fell through the ceiling along with a bunch of filthy water? Look at the walls and splatters. It was wet in there at some point.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kurieg posted:

I promise you I have seen phone closets worse than that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kurieg posted:

ahh I see you've found my home lab

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Am I parsing this image right? It looks like that that mess fell through the ceiling along with a bunch of filthy water? Look at the walls and splatters. It was wet in there at some point.

No, this is what it looks like after someone came in to install a fiber line.

I believe it looked almost as bad before hand.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I like the arrow pointing to the "Not VDSL" handwritten sign.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The home closet wire shelf with a rack mount router

The cut Ethernet in the lower right

The sprinkler head menacingly watching over the whole room

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I asked about this when I worked in a datacenter and apparently the system is dry until triggered in most of them, and also "human life is more important than data".

I'm pretty sure I got lied to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You mean the weight bearing sprinkler?

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
It's fine as long as you don't look at it, don't ever think about it, and drink until you forget it exists

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh poo poo I thought this was the poo poo That Pisses You Off thread, before.

Arquinsiel posted:

Che Delilas posted:

You may or may not be aware of this, so I'll point it out regardless: staying in the environment you're describing will do serious damage to your mental state over time. Your supervisor is actively harming you and should be considered your enemy, there is no saving this place, get out.

Unless the relationship with the C-level is REALLY good and strings could be pulled...

Yeah, it's this. C-Level is incorruptible and would not enable an internecine conflict (not that I would ever be inclined to it, anyway), but there's a significant backstop on meaningful retaliation as long as I just come in to work on time and filled out the activity reports.

The honest truth is that everything is fine. I do have a few reasons to be sympathetic to Supervisor, and I myself have been perceptibly sullen in the wake of a few strung-together disagreements, so I suspect our microaggressions towards each other have been roughly equitable. Personally, that makes reconciliation much easier. Occasionally poor temperament notwithstanding, I boast a certain genius for dragging friendships out of the poor fuckers who get locked in the same room as me for long enough, and I think I've got this person's idiom mostly worked out. We set a daily appointment to touch base in a five-minute phone call, for instance, regardless of whether we've advanced the status quo; There was one last trap that they had lain for me in it* but otherwise it's done plenty to keep their expectations clearly articulated and feeling attended to. They are greatly mollified and I haven't committed to any lack of self-respect.

*(they let me go a week calling them on their extension rather than dialing into a conference line using a number they left as a comment in a perfunctory Outlook event, and then they trotted this out as an example of my lack of compliance. They were giving me the opportunity to see correct myself, you see, and in any event, they don't have time to hold my hand through every individual thing. Not that this was a completely purposeless specification that I had absolutely no reason to go back and check or which they could have mentioned off-hand on the first day I called the arbitrarily incorrect number, or anything.)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress did I just read?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Some well practiced manager speak.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
kool-aid

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

drat dude, settle down. Your vernacular makes me incredibly tense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eikre posted:

Oh poo poo I thought this was the poo poo That Pisses You Off thread, before.

Yeah, it's this. C-Level is incorruptible and would not enable an internecine conflict (not that I would ever be inclined to it, anyway), but there's a significant backstop on meaningful retaliation as long as I just come in to work on time and filled out the activity reports.

The honest truth is that everything is fine. I do have a few reasons to be sympathetic to Supervisor, and I myself have been perceptibly sullen in the wake of a few strung-together disagreements, so I suspect our microaggressions towards each other have been roughly equitable. Personally, that makes reconciliation much easier. Occasionally poor temperament notwithstanding, I boast a certain genius for dragging friendships out of the poor fuckers who get locked in the same room as me for long enough, and I think I've got this person's idiom mostly worked out. We set a daily appointment to touch base in a five-minute phone call, for instance, regardless of whether we've advanced the status quo; There was one last trap that they had lain for me in it* but otherwise it's done plenty to keep their expectations clearly articulated and feeling attended to. They are greatly mollified and I haven't committed to any lack of self-respect.

*(they let me go a week calling them on their extension rather than dialing into a conference line using a number they left as a comment in a perfunctory Outlook event, and then they trotted this out as an example of my lack of compliance. They were giving me the opportunity to see correct myself, you see, and in any event, they don't have time to hold my hand through every individual thing. Not that this was a completely purposeless specification that I had absolutely no reason to go back and check or which they could have mentioned off-hand on the first day I called the arbitrarily incorrect number, or anything.)

I never wondered what would happen if Letterkenny was about some white-collar office workers but now I know anyway.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Inspector_666 posted:

I never wondered what would happen if Letterkenny was about some white-collar office workers but now I know anyway.

Hard no.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wish you weren't so fuckin bad at posting bud.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inspector_666 posted:

Wish you weren't so fuckin bad at posting bud.

Whoa now, pump the brakes on that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dragonshardz posted:

Whoa now, pump the brakes on that.

Is this like backseat modding inception?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

Is this like backseat modding inception?

Give your balls a tug

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Way ahead of you, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Give your balls a tug

Pitter patter, let's get at'er.