Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

all of his poems are actually from william blake

dunno the significance of that though

Oh no wonder my inner gothier and younger self was secretly digging them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
You know, you don’t often see Goth pimps in sandals, but here we are.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oxxidation posted:

all of his poems are actually from william blake

dunno the significance of that though

One of the game's primary villains is named after a figure in Blake's mythology. There might be more but I have neither beaten the game nor read Blake since college.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I recently downloaded Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2 and the level backgrounds are amazing. There are All sorts of great 80s and 90s references (one level having those sunglasses-wearing flowers with guitars)

One level in particular has Super Nintendo’s floating around. What I appreciated most about them is they sport the yellowing plastic shells too!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am genuinely impressed with how much I'm enjoying Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Considering this is, by all accounts, a vehicle to get kids to buy toys or get the DLC or whatever, this game has had some serious work put into it. There's a sort of power pyramid in enemy structure, where there are structures that feed power to huge planet-roaming enemies, which in turn feed power to big dreadnoughts in space. So to take out a dreadnought, you need to take out the large enemies (Primes), but to do that, you need to take out the structures that power them first. And I say you 'need' to, but really that's only if you want to weaken them; there's nothing stopping you from cutting the snake's head off immediately, if you think you can handle it.

Also when fighting the primes, in their final phase, there's a musical swell that I quite enjoy that feels drat heroic as there's energy exploding around you and you're dodging attacks while trying to call down an orbital strike on its weak point.

Then there's a struggle between enemies and allies occurring on each planet that you can fight in, or just built armories filled with NPCs that'll do most of the fighting on your behalf. But keeping up the alliances get you bonuses if you max them out, so you sort of want to do that. Then there's the way pilots get skill points by using each weapon/ship, which is a mechanic (strength via equipment usage) that I really enjoy, and that also sort of ties into the whole toys-to-life thing they've got going on. Which might be annoying normally, but it looks like Ubisoft has been running free weekends pretty frequently, allowing you to try out new equipment over the weekend that you can level up to power up pilots you own anyway.

Then there are the planets, of which there are seven. Each of them are fairly unique, and by scanning flora, fauna, and sites around the planet, you can sort of see the planet's history and ecosystem, which make it so much better than a randomly-generated place like you might see in No Man's Sky. For example, one planet has a huge crashed ship, which was a vault filled with all sorts of microbial samples and such - when it crashed, it released a mould that has taken over half the planet, while the over half is covered with a sort of algae. Each of these ecosystems are pretty wild to look at (floating pods of fungus and pools of weird gloop) and where they meet, there's a clash of lifeforms evident in how everything is just weird and different.

The game's biggest downfall is repetition, by far. Everything you do in the game, you do repeatedly, multiple times to get the alliance meter up, or to clear out a dreadnought or whatever. But outside of that point, it's kind of a shame that a game with this much work put into it was probably immediately dismissed by most due to the sort of over-exposure to toys-for-life that Activision put the market through.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I am genuinely impressed with how much I'm enjoying Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Considering this is, by all accounts, a vehicle to get kids to buy toys or get the DLC or whatever, this game has had some serious work put into it.

I got the Switch Arwing version of this as a Christmas present and it remains unopened. I was worried the game would be balanced around buying more new plastic ship parts - is there anything stopping you playing with the default set?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I (and apparently lots of others) assumed Starlink was a poison pill meant to ward off the Vivendi takeover. Toys-to-life had already been written off at that point and IIRC several big names had already pulled out of the genre.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I got the Switch Arwing version of this as a Christmas present and it remains unopened. I was worried the game would be balanced around buying more new plastic ship parts - is there anything stopping you playing with the default set?

Nothing. The default set comes with fire, ice, and kinetic weaponry. There are also 'gravity' and 'stasis' element weaponry to purchase (and other fire/ice/kinetic weapons that handle differently), but aside from a few puzzles in the game that just give you some bonus mods, they aren't necessary. Worst case is that certain gravity-aligned enemies, against which stasis is strong, will be a little annoying to defeat at first.

I'm nearly done the game and I haven't spent a cent on it. Been doing the free weekends to get some extra skill points, but that's it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

Just buy some nmfc stickers and make more things

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Just buy some nmfc stickers and make more things

I don't know what those are, but I assume you might be thinking about how the other toys-to-life things worked. For Starlink you actually plug things into other things - you have a pilot that a ship goes over and clips in, wings that plug into the sides of the ship, and weapons that plug into the wings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Devil May Cry V the character Nero gets to equip various robotic arms called devil busters. Being a Capcom game, one of these is called the Mega Buster and is more or less exactly the Megaman arm. While wearing the Mega Buster, Nero's jumping animation resembles the classic Megaman jump, he loads into each mission with a beam of light, and if you die he explodes into a bunch of orbs.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm appreciating the hell out of super mario odyssey and the crazy little details that coalesce into one super package of incredible production quality that I call the Nintendo Factor.

It'd be impossible to list all the details I love about this game, but among my favorites are the 2D sections that will translate any of the dozens of costumes you can wear into retro equivalents or how if you wear Luigi's outfit while crashing the wedding bowser doesn't recognize it (a long recurring joke about Luigi's relative lack of notoriety compared to his more famous brother).

Best, though, is the Mushroom Kingdom level, which is one extended throw-back to super mario 64. All the power moons are stars, and collecting them triggers the same jingle as in the older game. You can get a low poly mario costume to look exactly like your 90s self. Also, yoshi is exactly where you'd expect him to be :3:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

exquisite tea posted:

In Devil May Cry V the character Nero gets to equip various robotic arms called devil busters. Being a Capcom game, one of these is called the Mega Buster and is more or less exactly the Megaman arm. While wearing the Mega Buster, Nero's jumping animation resembles the classic Megaman jump, he loads into each mission with a beam of light, and if you die he explodes into a bunch of orbs.

okay but can he hover through doorways?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

Incidentally, the Starfox content is remarkably well integrated, with cutscenes and character dialogue revamped to integrate them, and the Arwing is the only ship in the game that has default weapons outside of the Starlink stuff (the regular twin lasers/charge laser). A fun detail is that even the comm sound for the Starfox characters is different, with the main characters having a default comms chirp but the Starfox guys using the sound from Starfox 64.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Devil May Cry 5 each character has different taunts depending on what style rank you currently have. For example Nero will play air guitar with actual music coming out. Cool cool.

Hot goth new boy will conduct an invisible symphony to play Ride of the Valkyries.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Red Dead Redemption 2 if you study an animal it's added to your encyclopedia thing which will tell you the general area you found the animal in. What I really like about it is then if you zoom in on your map it will have little pencil sketches of animals on it showing exactly what animals you found there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Spikeguy posted:

In Devil May Cry 5 each character has different taunts depending on what style rank you currently have. For example Nero will play air guitar with actual music coming out. Cool cool.

Hot goth new boy will conduct an invisible symphony to play Ride of the Valkyries.

This has been a thing since DMC3 at least. Favorite little thing from that game -- one of the weapons is an electric guitar. Like, it's a demonic guitar, that summons lightning. You can kill enemies by doing a rocking solo in the middle of an electric cyclone.

(And aren't they all hot goths?)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Nah, Dante's just an anime fratboy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm finally doing The Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne for the first time and it's incredible. I've been thoroughly overleveled for the whole game so suddenly getting thrust into an area that still has some serious challenges is fun. The Research Hall is one of the coolest places in the game and is probably my favorite area overall (with the possible exception of Cainhurst...) and I love that when I finally, finally managed to beat the Living Failures, I open the next door and not only is it another boss fight, immediately, it's another boss fight that is about as far from the previous fight as possible. I can't stand horde bosses with huge ranged attacks like the Failures, so walking into a big dramatic Kill Bill-esque bloodspattered 1v1 anime showdown was extremely cool. I know the DLC is really old, but I'm spoiling that because it was a fun little surprise.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(And aren't they all hot goths?)

They all have some hot goth in their soul, but V really raises the bar for that kinda thing. The man quotes lines from William Blake to poo poo talk enemies.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dante got past that phase in his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

But he kept the flair for drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdzyIrd89U

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

This was posted in the Gold Plated Games' Discord and it reminding how silly DMC gets made me really happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6dR7bNn3I

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

ilmucche posted:

I was bad at dirt rally and probably won't play dirt rally 2 if it's that much harder. bombing around in the mini was fun, but half throttling in the kit cars and still wrecking got a bit old :/

If you're wrecking all the time your still driving too fast. Slow is steady, steady is smooth, and smooth is fast. It seems counter intuitive but it's true

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

I (and apparently lots of others) assumed Starlink was a poison pill meant to ward off the Vivendi takeover. Toys-to-life had already been written off at that point and IIRC several big names had already pulled out of the genre.

It's kind of weird because unlike other Toys to life games you don't actually have to use the toys to play and can just ignore them. The game still has all the part switching but you treat it like regular videogame equipment and do it through a menu.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soma has a lot of little moments I loved and has my favorite dick move to the player in any game I can think of. Fairly early on in the game you are trudging through the depths of the ocean's surface in a really disorienting area where it's hard to see and easy to get lost. It's genuinely sort of stressful, but along the way you meet a small robot that starts guiding you where to go. it's sort of a cute little swimming R2D2 type thing and the game tells you that it's AI is similar to an irl dog. He helps you through the whole area until you hit a elevator that is non operational. You are told that the part you need can be obtained by killing a robot and harvesting it from there. My first thought is there is no loving way I am smashing this little dog robot that has just helped me out for the last 45 minutes. Then it dawned on me that a few minutes earlier, I had passed another robot (in this game most robots are transferred human conscious, who are unaware they are in robot bodies) who was a lot less endearing and was yelling at me to "get to work" or something. So I think "I'll just go smash that fucker. he was kind of a dick anyways.

So I trek back to him and start smashing him with a wrench, but he immediately starts screaming and begging me not to hurt him as he sprays blood like fluid throughout the water. I kill him and get my parts, but feel really bad about it. At least I didn't have to hurt my little robot buddy. But then I turn around and the little dog robot had watched the whole thing and is now terrified of my monstrous self. He swims like hell away from me, never to be seen again.

I was just sitting there like "oh gently caress you, game"

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Mar 13, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You know how in many games your very strong and powerful character, wielding a giant flaming axe or sword, will be stopped in their track by a rickety-rear end half-broken wooden door? Well in Dark Souls 2, you can just smash those down. The game never tells you you can do it, and you never have to do it, but if you figuure it out you can get into a couple of side rooms without finding the keys.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

You know how in many games your very strong and powerful character, wielding a giant flaming axe or sword, will be stopped in their track by a rickety-rear end half-broken wooden door? Well in Dark Souls 2, you can just smash those down. The game never tells you you can do it, and you never have to do it, but if you figuure it out you can get into a couple of side rooms without finding the keys.
Sadly, this strategy won't get you past the greatest barriers in Dark Souls 2: any raised surface more than half shin height.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Ariong posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sadly, this strategy won't get you past the greatest barriers in Dark Souls 2: any raised surface more than half shin height.

In Demon's Souls your character can step over shin high barriers. There's no real reason for it, and I only found out by nearly falling to my death after stepping over a parapet.
Ah, that game, Umbasa.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bearer of the curse,
Seek out powerful souls,
Seek out the Souls of Kings,
Or just scramble over those rocks by the Shrine of Winter. Srsly, a child could do it. Who doesn't love a good scramble?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bearer of the curse,
Seek out powerful souls,
Seek out the Souls of Kings,
Or just scramble over those rocks by the Shrine of Winter. Srsly, a child could do it. Who doesn't love a good scramble?
Your hips. Your shins. Your very knees.
None will have meaning, and you won't even care.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Wasn't there a bomb damaged office door with the entire upper half missing that still required maxed out lockpicking to open in one of the 3D fallouts?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Riatsala posted:

Wasn't there a bomb damaged office door with the entire upper half missing that still required maxed out lockpicking to open in one of the 3D fallouts?

I think Fallout 3 had a locked door that required 100% lockpicking skill, but it was a sealed metal door in the hull of a sunken ship, so it makes some sense there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Riatsala posted:

That was my big rear end hole.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Riatsala posted:

I know the image you're talking about, and I'm relatively certain that was just someone using the console to lock one of those half-broken doors and taking a screenshot of it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

Underworld Ascendant is pretty good for that sort of physics based "gently caress this" puzzle solving - unfortunately every other part of the game was dreadful, including no saving during levels that took multiple hours to complete. I believe they've fixed some of that but I'm not desperate to go back and check yet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kanfy posted:

I know the image you're talking about, and I'm relatively certain that was just someone using the console to lock one of those half-broken doors and taking a screenshot of it.

For whatever reason I remember it being a key-required door rather than max lockpicking.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kanfy posted:

Here's the pic:

People in Reddit seem to agree that it really was in the game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/tbl5a/youre_kidding_me_fallout/

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kennel posted:

Here's the pic:

Everything in that photo, save the enemy markers on the compass, is a shade of green.

gently caress that was an ugly game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kennel posted:

Here's the pic:

Right, except nobody can quite recall where it is and the main suggestions thrown around are Chryslus Building and Springvale school which are both just normal doors with Very Hard locks.

I more or less 100%'ed that game a couple of years back and I feel like I would've made note of it if I'd come across it, so either it's somewhere else, it was patched out, or it simply never existed and people started "remembering" it after seeing that image someone made for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pook Good Mook posted:

Everything in that photo, save the enemy markers on the compass, is a shade of green.

gently caress that was an ugly game.

To be fair new vegas has an ugly rear end orange filter. Both games look better if you get mods that remove the filter.