Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Crawfish posted:

I dig the hell out of the SOS system giving you a chance to encounter and catch a Lv 10 Salamence or Dragonite, but yeah, other than that, it was tedious trash.

Unless things have changed, you straight up can't transfer the Mew from that exploit. From memory, they blocked any Mew that didn't have the specific data of the event they had in Japan for the VC games from being transferred.

They may have made some work on that exploit towards making exploit Mew functionally the same as that Mew though. I think I remember them working on something like that.

Yeah, the Mew from the "simple" old-fashioned Mew Trick won't have all the right data, but as far as I know you can execute arbitrary code on the GB Pokemon games as a human so you can create one with the valid data easily enough by following some steps carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you also can't transfer the aerodactyl skeleton because they're cowards

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
On the other hand it let me transfer my ‘m (that manifested as a level 147 Snorlax) from the Blue VC version, it just set the level to 100 and named it Snorlax

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Crawfish posted:

Unless things have changed, you straight up can't transfer the Mew from that exploit. From memory, they blocked any Mew that didn't have the specific data of the event they had in Japan for the VC games from being transferred.

They may have made some work on that exploit towards making exploit Mew functionally the same as that Mew though. I think I remember them working on something like that.

Oh lame.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Add Missingno to the Dex you cowards. How else are we supposed to get a non-legendary/form change pure Flying type?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do they ever go on sale in the eshop or am I better off trying to find a used copy somewhere?

I bought a New 2DS XL, Ultra Moon, Y, and Alpha Sapphire for 100 bux last December so yes?!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is it hard to swap for Alolan meowth or vulpix early on? I'd like to use one or both, but I don't have Pokemon Go.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

So a bunch of y'all complained about random battles coming back for Gen 8 after Let's Go removed them, and I really wasn't agreeing with you.
Well I'm playing UM now and let me tell you, grinding random battles until that one 5% chance Pokemon that's only on this one route finally shows up really sucks.
But I have a Pichu now so that's cool. :3:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Let's Go knocked it out of the park with the random walking pokemon. it even made shiny hunting fun and reduced the stress of it all.

And like clockwork, GameFreak decides to not use it ever again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was better but I don't think i'd say shiny hunting was fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Pokewalker was a nice little accessory that makes a lot of sense given 3DSes and Switches have gotten a bit too big to carry around in your pockets.

And funny thing was that it was basically a successor to the Pokemon Pikachu thingy.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

If I recall, the Let's Go games and Sword and Shield started development around the same time by different teams at Game Freak, so I don't think that the Sword and Shield development team intentionally meant to drop a feature from a game that they hadn't seen yet at the time of planning. Also they'd have no way of knowing it would be the one feature from the Let's Go games that have been almost unanimously praised.

So it'll probably return in Gen 9, maybe not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Make it a key item you can toggle on/off and set some restrictions like you need a lead pokemon X levels higher than the area to skip most fights or transition into a wild pokemon roaming in the overworld and you can just go for the catch. Honestly all I want is options instead of being forced to one way of playing or catching or fighting poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A tie-in smartphone app actually would be a pretty good idea if done right, and Nintendo already has the infrastructure for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A tie-in smartphone app actually would be a pretty good idea if done right, and Nintendo already has the infrastructure for it.

Let a game be a game. Do not force other stuff into it, it never ends up well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let a game be a game. Do not force other stuff into it, it never ends up well.

I mean just like taking your Pokemon for a virtual walk like the Pokewalker, I'd be crazy for that.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Why are the G4 cross-generation evolutions just speckled randomly throughout the National Dex :mad: Like there's a big chunk of them from Weavile (#461) to Froslass (#478) and yeah I GUESS Roserade (#407) can go next to Budew (#406) because Budew is a prevolution you find early in the game but why is Ambipom #424? Why is it not next to Masmagius (#429) and Honchkrow (#430)? Why is Munchlax (#446) cordoned off from all the other babies (Bonsly #438, Mime Jr. #439, Happiny #440)? Why?????

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also why is Chatot's sprite so suspicious and why does he have pinkeye?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Why are the G4 cross-generation evolutions just speckled randomly throughout the National Dex :mad: Like there's a big chunk of them from Weavile (#461) to Froslass (#478) and yeah I GUESS Roserade (#407) can go next to Budew (#406) because Budew is a prevolution you find early in the game but why is Ambipom #424? Why is it not next to Masmagius (#429) and Honchkrow (#430)? Why is Munchlax (#446) cordoned off from all the other babies (Bonsly #438, Mime Jr. #439, Happiny #440)? Why?????

Mostly because they National Dex was built off the original Diamond and Pearl dex which was insanely stupid and had a bunch of the new evos/prevos be postgame exclusive or not in the game at all. So they ones that are got earlier dex numbers.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Crawfish posted:

I dig the hell out of the SOS system giving you a chance to encounter and catch a Lv 10 Salamence or Dragonite, but yeah, other than that, it was tedious trash.

I'm really getting into the idea of collecting super-underlevel Pokemon. From RBY alone you can get a Level 3 Electrode and a Level 5 Machamp through in-game trades. Now I've heard you can get Level 3 legendary birds. Exciting!

edit: to expand, you can breed Pokemon in GSC to send to these games, like getting a Level 5 Growlithe over to Yellow for that Level 5 Dewgong. If you're particularly savvy you can chain-trade to get the Level 5 Dugtrio in Yellow then send it to Crystal for the Level 5 Magneton. Evolve him in a later game and you have Level 6 Magnezone!

quote:

Also why is Chatot's sprite so suspicious and why does he have pinkeye?
A bunch of DP Pokemon actually had completely different sprites early in development, I know Munchlax, Weavile, and Scizor did...and I think Chatot did also.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 13, 2019

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was better but I don't think i'd say shiny hunting was fun.

it never is, but I feel that being able to see it in the wild instead of in battle is a neat thing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The best part about Shiny Hunting in Let's Go is when a Shiny spawns as soon as you walk into a door

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

What’s the best shiny?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm fond of Autumn Breloom

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rayquaza or Charizard. Or Ponyta.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Rayquaza.

Edit: Breloom is cute.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

BattleCattle posted:

What’s the best shiny?

Hawlucha

Edit: For reference:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

BattleCattle posted:

What’s the best shiny?

Without going through the whole list, my offhand choice is Scizor

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BattleCattle posted:

What’s the best shiny?

Mega Garchomp

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I went through the whole list and change my answers to Golurk, Araquanid, Aegislash and Vikavolt

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mega Gengar.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

What’s the best shiny?

Greninja

Golisopod

Mega Gardevoir

Ninetales

Toxicroak

Chandelure

Gourgeist

Araquanid

Aegislash

Trevenant

I've made it my goal to acquire the Golisopod, Araquanid and toxicroak. But so far I'm very happy with the rest of these.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Do we still have a trade thread? I'd like to use an alolan meowth or alolan vulpix in let's go eevee early.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Aerofallosov posted:

Do we still have a trade thread? I'd like to use an alolan meowth or alolan vulpix in let's go eevee early.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
from a couple pages ago, but my fav Battle Tree team was:

Jolly/Beast Boost Kartana @ Focus Sash (Speed/Attack EVs) - Leaf Blade, Smart Strike, Sacred Sword, and either Psycho Cut or Night Slash (I forget which, either should do well [cause you'll almost never use the fourth move]). people like to put Swords Dance on her since you're guaranteed to get one hit off with the Focus Sash (and combined with the Beast Boost ability it puts its attack through the roof), but you could get out-speeded which would be a total waste.

Bold/Limber Toxapex @ Black Sludge (HP/Def/SpD EVs) - Scald, Toxic, Toxic Spikes, Recover. loving mega wall that can wear down the vast majority of opponents on its own in my experience. Mega Alakazam or a Reunculus with Magic Guard will gently caress you up in a jiffy though

Adamant/Intimidate Salamence @ Salamancite (Speed/Attack EVs) - Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Roost, Return. Mega Salamence's Aerilate turns Return into a Flying-type move, so it gets STAB on top of the 1.2x damage from your pokemon loving you a lot. I've used Double Edge in place of Return and I think mathematically it works out better (more OHKOs), but I just hate moves with recoil damage on GP.

BattleCattle posted:

What’s the best shiny?

I really like Shiny Sylveon even though it's a bit boring

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've got a shiny toxicroak named Gom Jabbar

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

:facepalm: Thanks, I missed it. I just wanted one to use because you can ride persian, I'm told?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Only Kanto Persian is rideable (it’s very fast), not Alolan.