Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Those look reasonable. I wonder how the chiefs will gently caress it up by demanding mil creases that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They actually look good and sensible.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Those look good, make that the daily wear uniform and get rid of anything to do with Type I or IIIs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The final design version will have 21 buttons with a pants flap and the top will have mandatory white piping that increases item costs an extra $20. Commands will keep requiring the previous uniforms to be worn as uniform of the day for about three years after roll out. Then they will disallow wearing it off the pier because its a dirty 'working' uniform. So they'll start a bid to find a new office uniform so that the admin enlisteds can differentiate themselves from the common man because some O-6 didn't want a plain blouse on his staff.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
They kind of look like the Coast Guard uniform, which is something people have been saying we should just use for years, so that's a plus. They'd only look too bad actually.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I don't particularly like the Type III cut, but I don't hate it. Plus my pen will finally be on the same side at sea and ashore.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hello again navy goons, one more request from my son, asking for "command climate, like how the crew likes the command" for the following:

CG 57
CG 62
NMCB 133

Thanks again in advance.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

piL posted:

I don't particularly like the Type III cut, but I don't hate it. Plus my pen will finally be on the same side at sea and ashore.

Speaking of pens, I hate that the Type III don't have pens that are on the sleeve down by your hand like the Army (and now AF) OCPs. If I could just wear that again instead of Type IIIs I would be fine.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Davethulhu posted:

Hello again navy goons, one more request from my son, asking for "command climate, like how the crew likes the command" for the following:

CG 57
CG 62
NMCB 133

Thanks again in advance.

Seabees are like Marines lite minus physical standards. Or discipline standards. If they want to run around in the woods now and then it isn't a bad call. They'll be in Gulfport though, which is how you say, muy sucks

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

CG 57
CG 62
NMCB 133

Thanks again in advance.

I forgot what rate your son is but CGs are my favorite class of ship. Speaking as a former ET.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
JUST LET PEOPLE WEAR THEIR COVERALLS TO AND FROM WORK LIKE WE DID FOR DECADES BEFORE THEY BANNED IT JESUS CHRIST HOW ARE THE BRASS SO loving STUPID

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

I forgot what rate your son is but CGs are my favorite class of ship. Speaking as a former ET.

Think hes an IT.

CGs are my favorite ships too, but they're all 30ish years old and are suffering for it.

Big Navy put out an RIF for a Large Surface Combatant, exciting.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I swear if you went to the most average ship in the Navy and pulled the most average O-3 and E-5 and made them the CNO and MCPON for a month we would solve 90% of the stupid rear end problems that we flail around uselessly spending millions of dollars on while passing up the obvious solutions with no downsides.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

I swear if you went to the most average ship in the Navy and pulled the most average O-3 and E-5 and made them the CNO and MCPON for a month we would solve 90% of the stupid rear end problems that we flail around uselessly spending millions of dollars on while passing up the obvious solutions with no downsides.

"I joined the navy to be a sea-warrior not a sea-mechanic."

Can't be running around town looking like you guys are working hard and getting dirty.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cerekk posted:

All the vending machines would be full of dip and smokes.

Change of command ceremonies would be O-4 and up only.

Every divisional LPO gets to eject one shitbag member of their division from the ship yearly. (Via catapult if possible)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lou Takki posted:

All the vending machines would be full of dip and smokes.

Change of command ceremonies would be O-4 and up only.

Every divisional LPO gets to eject one shitbag member of their division from the ship yearly. (Via catapult if possible)

I see two really awesome ideas here and one that I'm not a huge fan of but that wouldn't really hurt anything, so sure. See, already an improvement on the current leadership!

I estimate a savings to our sailors of $25,000 per change of command for a destroyer-sized command by not having to update medals and dry clean dress uniforms, and the only downside is some O-5 doesn't get his dick stroked quite as hard. Lou Taki #1 EP! Promote Now!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fourth change: every month one of the CPOs in the mess gets voted off the ship by the E-5 and below crew onboard. Play the whole thing out live on the Ship's TV network as some kind of reality TV entertainment.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Davethulhu posted:

CG 57
CG 62
NMCB 133

Thanks again in advance.

CG 57 is the Lake Champlain, they will be going into a year long yards period this summer, about the time I get there to disassemble Tomahawks. I'll reach out to me prospective chief and ask about the command climate.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

CG 57 is the Lake Champlain, they will be going into a year long yards period this summer, about the time I get there to disassemble Tomahawks. I'll reach out to me prospective chief and ask about the command climate.

If the ship is heading into the yards, isn't it likely he'll just get crossdecked to a deployer instead? I imagine being a first-term Sailor in the yards is garbage.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nick Soapdish posted:

If the ship is heading into the yards, isn't it likely he'll just get crossdecked to a deployer instead? I imagine being a first-term Sailor in the yards is garbage.

I spent my entire time as a deck seaman in the yards. Absolutely miserable. At one point the average week was over 90 hours because of 3 section duty, and we only had some Sundays off.

I have no idea why, we weren’t doing anything besides waiting for contractors to finish. We got nothing of value done besides painting the side of the ship. I’m pretty sure most of it was just our DIVO and Chief trying to look good to our Triad who in turn were trying to kiss the commodores rear end.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Nah they will cross deck the second class with a few years experience instead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I spent my entire time as a deck seaman in the yards. Absolutely miserable. At one point the average week was over 90 hours because of 3 section duty, and we only had some Sundays off.

I have no idea why, we weren’t doing anything besides waiting for contractors to finish. We got nothing of value done besides painting the side of the ship. I’m pretty sure most of it was just our DIVO and Chief trying to look good to our Triad who in turn were trying to kiss the commodores rear end.

I spent the first and last couple months of my first DIVO tour in the yards and it was as miserable as you describe. I wasn't trying to look good for anyone, and neither was my DH who was awesome. The yards just suck.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I spent the first and last couple months of my first DIVO tour in the yards and it was as miserable as you describe. I wasn't trying to look good for anyone, and neither was my DH who was awesome. The yards just suck.

OTOH, you're not deployed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Madurai posted:

OTOH, you're not deployed.

Deployed is better. Nothing is worse than being on a 30 year old ship in Metro Machine in Norfolk.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Just gonna leave this here.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

F313 HNoMS Helge Ingstad is getting raised today. This is from an hour ago.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Stultus Maximus posted:

My chain of command was pretty bad all the way up to the squadron. The commodore would come on and scream at the CO (who wasn’t a bar person so much as just hapless) right in the middle of the flight deck in front of everyone on a couple occasions. Pretty bizarre. Everyone likes to say their ship was the worst though I think my experience was a little more out there than most.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 27, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Seconding. Avoid a shipyard experience like the plague. Longest and by far worst nine months of my life. Your chain of command has an unlimited amount of labor, and you don't have a union. Good luck reporting Fraud, Waste, and Abuse.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 27, 2019

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Snitches get stitches.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope that people are reaching out to them with what's going on. Speaking with a friend who just left their ship, 2nd tour DIVOs still weren't always seeing a lot of bridge time because they're needed in combat/engineering so their log books are empty. This just reinforces that the people who most need bridge time aren't the ones getting it.

Of course the most recent article https://www.propublica.org/article/navy-accident-changes-fitzgerald-mccain-davidson has an interview with Rowden which really surprised me. What surprises me ever more is how ADM Davidson responded to this: "If the commanders believed their ships were not ready, could they, as the Navy had promised, actually push back on orders to sail?
Davidson, according to an admiral inside the theater, responded with anger.
'If you can’t take your ships to sea and accomplish the mission with the resources you have,' he said, 'then we’ll find someone who will.' " So business as always, and just shove the problem down to someone else who will say yes.

It reminds me a lot of the stand down in Yokosuka. I know that I talked about it shortly after it happened, but that comment from ADM Davidson reminds me so much of Rear ADM Williams comment that he could do the safe thing and never have the ships leave the pier, or he could assume some level of risk and actually go out.

And Caconym? Thanks for posting that picture of the F313 HNoMS Helge Ingstad. That gash is just massive.

And Mr. Bad Guy, I know your NAV on the Lake Champlain. Not that you'll likely interact with him too much as a Tomahawk FC, but I can at least send you a DM if you want.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What are the good scuba places in Guam? Civie friend of mine is over there for reasons.

Brutulf
Nov 7, 2009
Some video from inside the wreckage of HNoMS Helge Ingstad (F313): https://www.tu.no/artikler/se-video-tilstanden-er-bedre-enn-fryktet/459267

Brutulf fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 1, 2019

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

And more Helge Ingstad, Wibla posted an animation of the damage and water ingress in the idiots thread.

Wibla posted:

Here's a video from VG.no (one of the largest newspapers in Norway): https://static.vg.no/spesial/2018/fregattulykke/vannlekkasje.mp4?2

Basically water came in through the propeller shaft tunnel into the main gear room, then spread into the two other main engineering spaces fore and aft of it. This frigate has a pretty advanced CODAG propulsion system, with a gas turbine in the engineering space fore of the gear room, and two diesels in the engineering space behind it. This amount of water inside the ship meant that it was just a matter of time until it would lose stability, capsize and sink. It also explains the progressive flooding of the vessel as watertight seals failed throughout the ship as it settled, after getting pushed on shore.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The new Smarter Every Day has some good footage from Rimpac '18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTYgcdNrXE

Things to note: Harpoons are mission-kill, but Mk48s are HARD KILL.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The new Smarter Every Day has some good footage from Rimpac '18.

Things to note: Harpoons are mission-kill, but Mk48s are HARD KILL.

Thanks for that. It was much more engaging and interesting than that Army rap video.

e: The ship blowing up was cool too

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 7, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Drones, soon available in frigate size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPz9YWS5dH4

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Feel sorry for the poor sweeper and painter bots.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
There was some cool stuff in that video though I do wonder, who exactly goes to those conventions? Are governments literally sending dudes to the trade fair to scope out new stuff to buy?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jimmy4400nav posted:

There was some cool stuff in that video though I do wonder, who exactly goes to those conventions? Are governments literally sending dudes to the trade fair to scope out new stuff to buy?

Yeah, it’s basically a chance for companies to suck off admirals and anyone related to procurement to buy their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?