Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I said come in! posted:

This was a model where I was still learning how to do thin my paints and did a piss poor job. If I knew how to thin my paints to begin with then I wouldn't be in this mess. :P

Point still stands, i doubt they're so far gone that a new better paint job wouldn't be enough that nobody except you would ever notice the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Point still stands, i doubt they're so far gone that a new better paint job wouldn't be enough that nobody except you would ever notice the issues.

This is true! i am going to give it a try and see what happens. :)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Also if it’s a lil bit of paint or just in the nooks and crannies, use a blade to remove (just scrape) or loosen for second bath

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Phildo posted:

Also if it’s a lil bit of paint or just in the nooks and crannies, use a blade to remove (just scrape) or loosen for second bath

Thank you! I actually hadn't thought about this and that is exactly my problem. It's the paint that is in the little nooks and crannies that I can't get out.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Go light at first though - the plastic may have softened from the simple green

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Cheap pack of toothbrushes are good for this.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! I actually hadn't thought about this and that is exactly my problem. It's the paint that is in the little nooks and crannies that I can't get out.

I've had good luck with these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003M8GMS6

They are stiffer than your average tooth brush but not too abrasive.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

General Olloth posted:

ULTRA gel control.

And yeah that poo poo is great too, but tamiya and testors model master are good for plastic models as well. I like the solvent bond when I can get away with it (not much these days with all my resin minis)

do you find any difference between ULTRA and regular?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

do you find any difference between ULTRA and regular?

Yes, it is even thicker. It basically doesn't run at all, only squishes. The difference isn't huge but when I accidentally buy the regular I notice immediately upon use.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How would you guys recommend going about the Martini racing livery for a paint scheme? Like just base white and then straight into the blue & red, or should I put down a brown base in between?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Blue and red will cover fine over white.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

As promised, here are some shots of my Howling Griffons. Ever since I first learned about them back in 2012 I always wanted to have an army of them and after a few abortive attempts I got rolling on them in 2014. It's all hand painted and layered. I did not use an airbrush, water transfer decals or printed banners. I started working on this army when I was flat broke. I got almost every model used, dismantled and stripped them before rebuilding them. Most of the Marines are combined Chaos and Imperial bits.

Anyway, have a few pictures:

Sternguard veteran squad.

Assault Terminators. I use these guys in nearly every game.

Drop pods, from the heady days of 7th edition. Now they collect dust on my shelf.

Sniper scouts. I have tons more of these guys now. Also that grey Marine on top of the brown ink in the upper left is one of the first models I ever painted. I keep it on my desk as a reminder that we all start somewhere.

It's not a Howling Griffons army without Chaplain-Confessor Titus.

Stormraven. Titus's personal pimpmobile.

This is a progress shot of the banner for a Chaplain in power armor.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

w00tmonger posted:

drat! Making it real hard for me to resist buying a resin printer

Its even great for 28mm sized models :D

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The French Army posted:

As promised, here are some shots of my Howling Griffons. Ever since I first learned about them back in 2012 I always wanted to have an army of them and after a few abortive attempts I got rolling on them in 2014. It's all hand painted and layered. I did not use an airbrush, water transfer decals or printed banners. I started working on this army when I was flat broke. I got almost every model used, dismantled and stripped them before rebuilding them. Most of the Marines are combined Chaos and Imperial bits.

Drop pods, from the heady days of 7th edition. Now they collect dust on my shelf.

Sniper scouts. I have tons more of these guys now. Also that grey Marine on top of the brown ink in the upper left is one of the first models I ever painted. I keep it on my desk as a reminder that we all start somewhere.

Holy loving poo poo dude. This is all amazing and the stained glass on Titus!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The French Army posted:

These are a thing of beauty, thank you for sharing them!

I got my first Finecast model today and it is neither fine nor seems to have been cast in any way that makes sense. Does plastic glue not work on whatever it is this brittle rear end thing is made of? Why are these MORE EXPENSIVE than the better made plastic models?

Why GW, why~

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Quidthulhu posted:

I got my first Finecast model today and it is neither fine nor seems to have been cast in any way that makes sense. Does plastic glue not work on whatever it is this brittle rear end thing is made of? Why are these MORE EXPENSIVE than the better made plastic models?

It's a resin model. You should use superglue to assemble it.

As for why it's bad, that's because GW is bad at casting resin (or at least at quality control). Cast properly, resin holds detail quite a bit better than hard plastic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's a resin model. You should use superglue to assemble it.

As for why it's bad, that's because GW is bad at casting resin (or at least at quality control). Cast properly, resin holds detail quite a bit better than hard plastic.

It's also cheaper and easier to do in small runs, which is why Forgeworld uses resin. The real mystery is why GW just doesn't use Forgeworld resin in the first place.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I finished my Daoying!

Reposting from the Infinity thread. I'm so happy with how she turned out. I love the model and I can't wait to get the rest of my army up to her standard.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Iceclaw posted:

So, I went and redone Magore, his pupper and his party boys. Tell me how much of a bad job I did, please!

Crossposting from the Shadespire thread. They look much better than their previous attempt.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i sprayed my dudes with a corax white rattle can and they feel kind of chalky to the touch is that normal? they don't appear to have a bumpy texture or have lost any details, but the dudes I sprayed with chaos black did not have a chalky texture to them

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i sprayed my dudes with a corax white rattle can and they feel kind of chalky to the touch is that normal? they don't appear to have a bumpy texture or have lost any details, but the dudes I sprayed with chaos black did not have a chalky texture to them

How far away from the model were you holding the spraycan? If it's too far away the paint can dry before it hits the figure, which is how you get that chalky feeling.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
White primers are also much more prone to "chalkiness" than most other colors.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The French Army posted:

How far away from the model were you holding the spraycan? If it's too far away the paint can dry before it hits the figure, which is how you get that chalky feeling.

i followed the instructions on the can i think it was like 10", should i strip them and respray or will it be fine if I can't see the chalkiness? I guess I'm a little worried that some of that will come out when i dry brush or whatever

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ilor posted:

White primers are also much more prone to "chalkiness" than most other colors.

Yeah, I primed some stuff in white in the basement workshop a couple of weeks ago and even then it ended up feeling kinda chalky even when I was at a decent distance. Not to mention the inside of the box I used became grainy as well. So I think that's just a thing with the Corax White cans.
Can almost get why you rarely see anything primed white in the YT Painting guides.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I think its white in general - I mostly use brush on primer (Not on my incoming adeptus titanicus models, i'm not insane) and every white I've tried is kind of like a patchy film applied to the model, even after 2 or 3 coats (For comparison valejo black goes on in 1 coat and you don't even need to be particularly careful about clogging the models details).

Luckily Rakarth Flesh and Celestra grey are really good basecoat paints.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Reposting from the Infinity thread. I'm so happy with how she turned out. I love the model and I can't wait to get the rest of my army up to her standard.

I had never heard of this game before but am researching it now because of your post and I love these figures!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I said come in! posted:

I had never heard of this game before but am researching it now because of your post and I love these figures!

cum poast m'lord

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854674

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The French Army posted:

Howling Griffons remain my favorite chapter, and this is incredible work. Really nice job, dude. Especially the black armor on the scouts in night world scheme. Please continue to post as you go!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I just keep plugging away at harlequin paint schemes with no end in sight. I don't like any of them.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I like them both :3:

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Part of a larger WIP army I'm working on for a tournament:

A Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought with two twin lascannons. The body is my own recast of the Contemptor from the Betrayal at Calth box set, with a few modifications. I chopped the original body apart and sculpted in the missing parts, articulating the model at the ankles, knees, hips, waist, shoulders and elbows. It is fully poseable and compatible with Forgeworld Contemptor weapons and breastplates. It will also fit any Space Marine or Primaris head for extra flavor.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

The French Army posted:

Part of a larger WIP army I'm working on for a tournament:

A Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought with two twin lascannons. The body is my own recast of the Contemptor from the Betrayal at Calth box set, with a few modifications. I chopped the original body apart and sculpted in the missing parts, articulating the model at the ankles, knees, hips, waist, shoulders and elbows. It is fully poseable and compatible with Forgeworld Contemptor weapons and breastplates. It will also fit any Space Marine or Primaris head for extra flavor.

Whaaaat have you been using as a compound? I tried plumbers putty and it's really tough to work with.

---

My kid really started to get into some of our board games, specifically The Dungeons & Dragons Adventure board games. He mentioned that he wished that the pieces were in color so it seemed more like a real thing. WELL.

Our last couple of nights (he loved using the shades so he mostly did that, the bases and base coating. "Mom! Mom! Dad has special paint that makes it look like you're a good painter even if you're not!"):

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

^^ :3:

Last night I made a wet pallet before working on Skeleton #4

I don’t know if it made my painting better, but I was certainly more relaxed while doing it.

I ended up having to do three coats of Xerxeus over white for some robes... and I don’t think I like the color! I’ll finish it as is, but I may have to reconsider the cape of my end-goal guy.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Whaaaat have you been using as a compound? I tried plumbers putty and it's really tough to work with.

I'm not sure what you mean by compound, but I use Alumilite low viscosity resin for casting and GF9 greenstuff for sculpting.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Officially half way into my Infinity army since starting in February.

My spray was bad and this makes me sad.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Love the weathering/chinks in the armors! Infinity minis look so rad/fun to paint, it's a pity the manual was 300 pages last time I've checked (also I'm not sure how many people would I be able to play with anyway). I think I may still have some Rackam minis from Confrontation 3ed around, they may scratch a similar painting itch.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

The French Army posted:

These are all amazing looking. I love the individually named Terminators.

goodness posted:

Its even great for 28mm sized models :D

This guy is sweet. Where did you get him from? I really need to go back into the garage and figure out what's wrong with my Photon.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Harkano posted:

These are all amazing looking. I love the individually named Terminators.

This guy is sweet. Where did you get him from? I really need to go back into the garage and figure out what's wrong with my Photon.

If I'm not mistaken that looks like a Genestealer from Space Crusade?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

If I'm not mistaken that looks like a Genestealer from Space Crusade?

The implication I got from 'it's even great for 28mm models' is that he printed it, especially since it's a follow up post from his sick 3D baby Dreadclaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Harkano posted:

The implication I got from 'it's even great for 28mm models' is that he printed it, especially since it's a follow up post from his sick 3D baby Dreadclaws.

Ah sorry, not owning a 3d printer I didn't think about the fact that you need the actual scan to print stuff out :v: