Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Doccykins posted:

It's almost certainly covering the mortgage and then some, EC1 so probably owned outright

Eh?

Edit: 13/7 is the date that Theresa May became Prime Minister :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I remember seeing a thing a while back, quite possibly on youtube, which was about how reporters in the uk media have changed.

They used to actually try to get information from people in a sensible manner, pressing them where necessary but not getting all paxman on them.... and now every fucker like Maitliss thinks they need to be shouting at people and poo poo during interviews. Paxman was actually decently good at it as he understood when to press and how to do it but the people who've tried to imitate him are cunts and just don't get it - they apply the same base logic of "get shouty and angry at people" but with none of the nuance or finesse.

Does anybody know where I might have seen this? It seems like something Charlie Brooker might have done on Newswipe but I'm not sure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lowtax's patreon is up to $10k per month. The forums are saved, though probably not his spine.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

There are no good landlords

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Doccykins posted:

There are no good landlords

I just meant your post didn't make sense. If it's owned outright there's no mortgage to cover?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gove just called Soubry a whore.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Sorry I meant that the mortgage is paid off yet the landlord is still creaming ~£600pm off each tenant!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Gove just called Soubry a whore.

Out loud? In those exact words?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Said she she used to “charge by the hour”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hate Anna Soubry but still, gently caress off Gove

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ben Bradshaw said it was a disgrace to allow one vote to be free and one to be whipped.
What does that mean exactly? I am still learning about our crazy government rules and I think you guys would be able to explain to me easier.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

LOL amazing scenes

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

learnincurve posted:

A quick skim of Private Eye would at least demonstrate that they have the sense not to get paid by the hour and instead draw a (ludicrous, clearly corrupt) salary for their side gigs

E: including Gove who is actually one of the worst for 'directorships' where you get fifty grand annual for your five hour work week

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Ben Bradshaw said it was a disgrace to allow one vote to be free and one to be whipped.
What does that mean exactly? I am still learning about our crazy government rules and I think you guys would be able to explain to me easier.

I think the brexit wing of the tories were getting salty about it just because whipping was bad for them or something?

Whips are at the discretion of the parties.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

VideoGames posted:

Because one threatens dismissal from the party if you vote wrong and the other doesn't but both are entirely unwritten gentlemens' agreements, and whip[ping itself is just underlining the relevant votes on the loving schedule because our parliamentary procedures are a loving JOKE.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doccykins posted:

Sorry I meant that the mortgage is paid off yet the landlord is still creaming

I believe Marx wrote about this

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

VideoGames posted:

a party will whip when it takes an official position on a vote, instructing its members to a)attend the vote and b) vote no or yes or abstain

there are degrees of severity to this, from 'the front bench and leadership are going to vote x, join if you can' to 'drop everything and vote x, we will literally kill you if you don't'

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Question: was the original EU vote (the 2016 referendum one) done on a 'count' basis as in it didn't matter where you vote was placed, every vote had equal weight, or was it done on a 'voting area' basis where each area would declare and then it was how many areas leave or remain? I'm not clear (obviously else I wouldn't be asking!)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i actually have a lot of time for the basics of british parliamentary procedure. i do feel that the speaker should have more influence over the agenda relative to the Leader, and you have a lot of absurd rigamarole around the process, but the basic system is flexible and effective and allows for expedient decision-making where some measure of good faith is present

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Counts, as far as I'm aware, though it was reported by constituency a lot.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Local authority areas afaik so fairly congruous but not completely.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

a party will whip when it takes an official position on a vote, instructing its members to a)attend the vote and b) vote no or yes or abstain

there are degrees of severity to this, from 'the front bench and leadership are going to vote x, join if you can' to 'drop everything and vote x, we will literally kill you if you don't'

W R O N G ! It’s actually illegal, or at least against parliamentary priviledge, to tell an MP how to vote so the correct indirect terminology is something like “we would greatly appreciate your attendance at the vote on x on time y and would highly appreciate the support you could lend in the matter” with the number of underlines indicating the severity of the whip. Telling them outright how to vote though: big no no.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking into it and the constituency numbers are estimates based on what the local voting areas organised so in fact saying this or that constituency voted this or that way is only really an estimate which could be important if they were close remain / leave. My Westminster constituency is not an exact fit of the local county council area.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of course, in today's economic-realist ideological landscape where good faith and collective solidarity are considered laughable weaknesses and the sociopathic mindset is the ideal it all does seem a bit quaint

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah the 2016 ref was pure popular vote (but as mentioned grouped by Local Authority for doing the counting)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it was absolute overall, with no weighting, but the constituencies reported their individual results too, which made for very interesting reading, given that the map of 'where EU funding goes' and 'votes against remaining in the EU' match pretty well for most of England and Wales..

V. Illych L. posted:

i actually have a lot of time for the basics of british parliamentary procedure. i do feel that the speaker should have more influence over the agenda relative to the Leader, and you have a lot of absurd rigamarole around the process, but the basic system is flexible and effective and allows for expedient decision-making where some measure of good faith is present

The procedures in and of themselves aren't the stupidest, but it's the trappings of tradition around them that bother the poo poo out of me. it wastes so much money and so much time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

JFairfax posted:

LOL amazing scenes

It was loving vile, not just because of what he said but because of the very male laughter that came from the Tory benches.

I’ve reported the toad to the Parliamentary standards committee.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

at some point objectivism became the de-facto hegemonic moral doctrine to which we expect the public to adhere, which is frankly a little disconcerting. not sure when that happened

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

The procedures in and of themselves aren't the stupidest, but it's the trappings of tradition around them that bother the poo poo out of me. it wastes so much money and so much time.

I mean, just keeping them in London is costing tens or hundreds of millions because they all maintain london housing on expenses, the building is falling apart and needs proper repairs but they're patching it because they have to keep working in it which costs ludicrous amounts more, etc etc etc.

Move parliament to Milton Keynes. And give MPs accommodation at Parliament paid for by the state, so they don't have to fund it and expense it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

It was loving vile, not just because of what he said but because of the very male laughter that came from the Tory benches.

Yeah it's totally inappropriate and I hope he rightfully gets castigated for it.

He is a slimy toad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest you have that backwards. London is expensive because that's where the MPs work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

UKMT March 2019 - very male laughter from the Tory benches

JFairfax posted:

Yeah it's totally inappropriate and I hope he rightfully gets castigated for it.
Would the surgeon know what to do with whatever eldritch mechanism is down there?

Oh, castigated. The other idea's still better.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm finding this interesting, not sure why I'm only just looking into it. The voting was so close in so many areas. I don't think quoting percentages really captures that. In my county area for example, the difference between remain and leave was just 492 votes yet people are always saying we are 'heavily' remain. The 3 surrounding county areas all voted leave with far higher numbers. One of those counties is very urban and 'deprived' and the other two are toryshire. The leave votes in each case being 10-20k above the remain totals.
I seriously doubt whether a second referendum or 'people's vote' will have changed enough 'hearts and minds' to overturn the 2016 result and would just entrench matters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results/local/t

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean, just keeping them in London is costing tens or hundreds of millions because they all maintain london housing on expenses, the building is falling apart and needs proper repairs but they're patching it because they have to keep working in it which costs ludicrous amounts more, etc etc etc.

Move parliament to Milton Keynes. And give MPs accommodation at Parliament paid for by the state, so they don't have to fund it and expense it.

Totally agree with moving it out of London and having a sort of 'student residence' arrangement for MPs to live in. Not sure about Milton Keynes - my former national company which had HQ in London moved out to MK and people who were already doing long commutes into Euston (in particular) each day were suddenly having to add on another 1-2 hours a day to go back out to MK because the train connections simply weren't there.

Needs somewhere with really good transport links.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm finding this interesting, not sure why I'm only just looking into it. The voting was so close in so many areas. I don't think quoting percentages really captures that. In my county area for example, the difference between remain and leave was just 492 votes yet people are always saying we are 'heavily' remain. The 3 surrounding county areas all voted leave with far higher numbers. One of those counties is very urban and 'deprived' and the other two are toryshire. The leave votes in each case being 10-20k above the remain totals.
I seriously doubt whether a second referendum or 'people's vote' will have changed enough 'hearts and minds' to overturn the 2016 result and would just entrench matters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results/local/t

It's really, really hard to know.

If the campaigning were honest and the experts were not being roundly denigrated, the result would be basically a given, but the loving STATE of this country from that perspective.

But conversely, we have two years more young people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Do you know roughly what time that was so I can look on Parliament TV?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Totally agree with moving it out of London and having a sort of 'student residence' arrangement for MPs to live in. Not sure about Milton Keynes - my former national company which had HQ in London moved out to MK and people who were already doing long commutes into Euston (in particular) each day were suddenly having to add on another 1-2 hours a day to go back out to MK because the train connections simply weren't there.

Needs somewhere with really good transport links.

HS2 and the oxford cambridge expressway will both go right by MK, and Luton isn't exactly far from it.

But I'm not sold on MK it's just a suggestion.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Birmingham is a better choice, hs2 will stop there, it has an international airport, good road links and geographically is very close the centre of the U.K.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

UKMT March 2019 - very male laughter from the Tory benches

UKMT March 2019 - very male laughter and posh booing noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Join the Discord, we have a whole channel just for cute animal pictures and one for video games.