Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yes we saw the post the last 3 times you either posted it or quoted it, people are still telling you you're wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Below?! Buddy, have you seen what's right beside you?!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

muscles like this! posted:

That plot doesn't sound like it has anything at all in common with the X-Men.

One of the most consistent things about comicsgate is that they refuse to read anything into X-Men beyond "People with superpowers that other people hate". You can't ride the coattails of your past if you acknowledge the message of what you worked on is antithetical to everything you believe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean, tbh I'd agree with the general sentiment that given the rampant islamophobia (whether overt or unconsciously internalized) within western society, having a non Muslim person write a Muslim character, and making their religion specifically part of the story, and on top of that having them be loose with the rules (is Orthodox/non Orthodox the correct terminology with regards to Islam, or does it have its own?) is sketchy territory

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

quote:

And before you ask, yes this comic features characters named “Professor Vladimir Blud” and “President Von Helsing” and yes it’s just vampire X-men.

Wait I want this but by Busiek.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alaois posted:

yes we saw the post the last 3 times you either posted it or quoted it, people are still telling you you're wrong

They're assuming an argument I'm not making is the thing, but at this point I don't think I can say anything else to convince people that my point wasn't, in fact, "Only write a certain character type," so I give up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't understand what your actual point is, and I'm not saying that to be rude.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not technically comcis related but i guess jack is getting rid of counters on replies/rt's/likes because nazis keep getting ratioed into oblivion, dark lol

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't understand what your actual point is, and I'm not saying that to be rude.

In retrospect it's overly semantic and doesn't matter to the actual discussion, so I probably shouldn't have bothered. :shrug:

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with an unfunny derail.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

not technically comcis related but i guess jack is getting rid of counters on replies/rt's/likes because nazis keep getting ratioed into oblivion, dark lol

It's something they put on their experimental platform twttr, but they haven't yet said if it will be rolled out to the user base at large.
edit: but they probably will because there's nothing twitter loves more than to make the wrong decision.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 13, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have always wondered if there was a name for the type of double think that exists in most Us vs Them narratives like GooberGrate and other similar collectives; That portrays Them as shadowy, ultracompetent, and all powerful, but also obvious, incompetent, and ineffective that Us, the Genius Goodbrain Underdogs, can easily undercut Them (Until, of course they can't).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thats literally part of the academic description of fascism

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have always wondered if there was a name for the type of double think that exists in most Us vs Them narratives like GooberGrate and other similar collectives; That portrays Them as shadowy, ultracompetent, and all powerful, but also obvious, incompetent, and ineffective that Us, the Genius Goodbrain Underdogs, can easily undercut Them (Until, of course they can't).
We even have an emoticon for it

:umberto:

It's from Umberto Eco's famous essay on the traits of fascism, a key one of which is portraying one's enemies as simultaneously stupid and weak and hapless AND vicious and cunning and powerful. “Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The technical term is Ur-fascism. Here is a quick bullet point wiki write up about it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Puppy Time posted:

OK bro I'm not saying "Never write anyone unorthodox," I'm just saying "People like that exist" is not inherently a good defense in the case of a non-(whatever minority) writing a (whatever minority), particularly in the case where said minority is the only example visible in a work, because characters are subject to an author's intent. That's all.

You're right, that's not a good defense, "inherently," which is why, say, something like Holy Terror is garbage-- it takes the existence of violent extremists as an excuse to represent an entire demographic as violent extremists. I don't think anyone was making that argument though. I don't think M is an offensive and exploitative stereotype-- her religious faith was entirely tacit for about 10-15 years before PAD made it germane in a run that explicitly dealt with characters' relationships with the afterlife and with spiritual meaning.

I'm entirely unclear on what you're arguing, and I'm entirely unclear on what you'd consider responsible Muslim representation by a non-Muslim writer. I'm unclear on what you'd consider responsible Muslim representation by a Muslim writer. You've only offered example of what you're skeptical about, and it read to me as such a procrustrean rubric that it seemed to offer non-Muslim writers the choices of hewing to reductive stereotypes or just not writing Muslim characters at all.

To take an example closer to home for me-- I'm delighted when queer writers get the opportunity to write queer stories for a broad audience, and I'm annoyed when straight writers write cliched, two-dimensional queer characters. But I'm also delighted when straight writers, or cis writers, do their homework and write compellingly and sensitively about a subject position not their own. Kieron Gillen has written super engaging and thoughtful trans characters, and John Allison, a straight man, has written one of the most nuanced lesbian characters in recent comics memory. Ditto neither of the Bros. Hernandez are lesbians, but Maggie and Hopey are tremendously subtle and moving portrayals of queer female friendship.

Finally, "bro?" Not really. If you're that concerned about ethical modes of address don't assume everyone engaging you online is a dude, because I'm not.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bro and dude are gender neutral terms in American dialect English.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Do you gently caress dudes?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't really know about bro because I don't know anyone that actually uses it, but dude is for sure neutral. At least with all the people I know. Hasn't necessarily always been that way but it is now.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Alaois posted:

Do you gently caress dudes?

Do you not?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

site posted:

More like brands and celebrities getting ratioed, who actually put money into Twitter as opposed to annefrankrapist42342678 with an egg icon and two followers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

They increasingly aren't and they never should have been.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I am not continuing my ill-thought-out and pointless derail in response to three paragraphs, sorry sis

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 14, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

sorry dudebrosis

Oh neat!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes clearly the response to someone not wanting to be misgendered is to double down on doing so, this is gonna end up going well for you

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah sorry, that was uncalled for.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I understand dude being gender neutral to a lot of people, but if somebody that isn't male is telling you to not refer to them that way, then I don't know what the big deal with respecting that is.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Y'all and yinz are delightfully nonbinary terms I use regularly.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hostile V posted:

Y'all and yinz are delightfully nonbinary terms I use regularly.

I use "y'all" and "folks" for the most part in teaching, but as a proud Philadelphian I'd turn to dust if I said yinz. "Youse," however... now that's the stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I use y'all all the dang time

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Oh no is Good Burger retroactively problematic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV61t021SxQ

(For real though I have never had anyone actually get mad for calling them something they don't like once, and I generally don't repeat the mistake so talk however you like until someone asks you to say something different and you're probably fine?)

Also I understand the desire and need for representation and etc. specifically SO every Muslim character doesn't have to Represent All Muslims in a story and until then there's going to be increased scrutiny but a bunch of generally Jewish dudes created a whole mess of Christian superheroes and no one seems to get too uptight about Matt Murdock or Miles Morales or Frank Castle or Jean Grey or Wilson Fisk properly showing model Christian behavior or whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The idea of dude or bro being democraticized into gender neutral terms was a fairly short lived one whose time has long since passed.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

FMguru posted:

We even have an emoticon for it

:umberto:

It's from Umberto Eco's famous essay on the traits of fascism, a key one of which is portraying one's enemies as simultaneously stupid and weak and hapless AND vicious and cunning and powerful. “Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak."

Umberto Eco posted:

When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers of Ur-Fascism must also be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not really sure how "bro" could be stripped of its gendering, but "dude" feels more possible.

I was having an entirely separate conversation about the word "dude" a couple of weeks ago and it never occurred to me before then that the modern connotation of "dude" comes almost entirely from people forgetting/never knowing the meaning behind the phrase "dude ranch"; "dudes" were dandy fop city slickers and a "dude ranch" was a farm/ranch that wasn't doing Real Manly Man poo poo but a place where "dude" tourists from the big city could come out and pretend to be cowboys or Wild West Frontiersmen on holiday. I know it's gone through a bunch of mutations since then, but I still found that fascinating if perhaps obvious to others.

It's like realizing that Bugs Bunny ruined the superlative "nimrod" forever.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not really sure how "bro" could be stripped of its gendering, but "dude" feels more possible.

I was having an entirely separate conversation about the word "dude" a couple of weeks ago and it never occurred to me before then that the modern connotation of "dude" comes almost entirely from people forgetting/never knowing the meaning behind the phrase "dude ranch"; "dudes" were dandy fop city slickers and a "dude ranch" was a farm/ranch that wasn't doing Real Manly Man poo poo but a place where "dude" tourists from the big city could come out and pretend to be cowboys or Wild West Frontiersmen on holiday. I know it's gone through a bunch of mutations since then, but I still found that fascinating if perhaps obvious to others.

It's like realizing that Bugs Bunny ruined the superlative "nimrod" forever.

As a californian I can tell you, "Dude" has been gender neutral for decades

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the fact that so many of us remember a time when dude or bro very nearly became neutral terms speaks to our age more than anything.

It's like how some writers use "Sir" as a gender neutral term in a military context despite the fact that you'd actually use "Ma'am" when appropriate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only time Bro has ever been gender neutral that I recall is in Fractions Hawkeye.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah I'm from California and extricating "dude" from my vocabulary as a word I use for everyone is something I've been working on, it still pops up from time to time.

I was a California kid who loved the Ninja Turtles, I was doomed from the start.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Also I understand the desire and need for representation and etc. specifically SO every Muslim character doesn't have to Represent All Muslims in a story and until then there's going to be increased scrutiny but a bunch of generally Jewish dudes created a whole mess of Christian superheroes and no one seems to get too uptight about Matt Murdock or Miles Morales or Frank Castle or Jean Grey or Wilson Fisk properly showing model Christian behavior or whatever.

Really? Jean?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Edge & Christian posted:

The difference is that white christians were and still are the majority cultural demographic in europe and america and jews and muslims are not. While Stan and Jack were not christian, it's pretty fair to say they had a good idea what christian people are like since they lived their entire lives immersed in a culture that is defacto Christan. That makes them writing a bunch of catholics and protestant characters not comparable to the literally count-them-on-one-hand muslim characters in superhero comics being written by people who may or may not know much about muslim culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
To add to the derail, I'm a cis male Filipino and I dislike being called "bro" or "dude" (not to mention both terms are fairly outdated in our English, or are used in toxic masculine circles), "guy" is the "gender-neutral" term here. Interestingly, Tagalog pronouns are non-gendered!