Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is that the one like no thanks, in that you want specific sequences of numbered tiles?

If so, I also played it years ago and quite liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Poopy Palpy posted:

I played it many years ago and was delighted by it. I decided I needed a copy but discovered it was out of print and went for $200. It's not $200 good, especially since the first edition components were kinda crappy. After I played it a second time it had climbed to $300. I was #12 to back the Kickstarter.

silvergoose posted:

Is that the one like no thanks, in that you want specific sequences of numbered tiles?

If so, I also played it years ago and quite liked it.

Seems like I will back it then. The Kickstarter says that there my be copies for Spiel 2019 but I don't think I will risk that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Selecta84 posted:

Seems like I will back it then. The Kickstarter says that there my be copies for Spiel 2019 but I don't think I will risk that.

Hang on, no, I was thinking of key harvest, sorry! Never tried market.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Does this qualify as 'art'? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedragonstomb/offensive-adult-party-game-by-the-dragons-tomb

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sure, why not.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

silvergoose posted:

Hang on, no, I was thinking of key harvest, sorry! Never tried market.
No problem.

The video still makes it look fun. Will back anyway.

But now I might take a closer look at Key Harvest.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Selecta84 posted:

So the Kickstarter for the Keymarket Reprint ist live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breese/key-market-ii/description

Looking at the Video from Paul Grogan makes it seem like an interesting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBVj-wvT2HM&t=2174s

Has anybody played the original and can chime in?

Holy Christ, 60 British pounds with shipping to Canada? Is it really a ~$105 CAD game? These R&D games have insane prices in my opinion.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

anyone play Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done? it looks like a lighter weight Trajan, which is a game I love but have trouble getting to the table. I'm interested in how it feels to play.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

Holy Christ, 60 British pounds with shipping to Canada? Is it really a ~$105 CAD game? These R&D games have insane prices in my opinion.

Well, it is a small company and this will be a limited print run. No more reprints after that. That could explain the higher price tag. And I don't know where the manufacture their games.

But yeah, 105 is a lot.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FulsomFrank posted:

It's entirely possible that the entire British economy will collapse and the exchange rate becomes more favorable before the campaign wraps.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Retromancer posted:

anyone play Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done? it looks like a lighter weight Trajan, which is a game I love but have trouble getting to the table. I'm interested in how it feels to play.

It's a good, medium-light rondel game. The engine building feels good, and there is a nice mix of strategy and tactics. But the theme is basically pasted on, with very little resemblance to the actual crusades. Also, there is very little scaling for different player counts. The end of game VP limit changes, but basically nothing else does. This means that 4-player games are much more interactive and competitive than two player games, where each player gets half the map unmolested. Also, don't get the "upgraded" pieces. The wooden parts look good and have much better clarity than the poor plastic pieces.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Selecta84 posted:

Well, it is a small company and this will be a limited print run. No more reprints after that. That could explain the higher price tag. And I don't know where the manufacture their games.

But yeah, 105 is a lot.

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's entirely possible that the entire British economy will collapse and the exchange rate becomes more favorable before the campaign wraps.

Hm, maybe I should hold off until the last minute on this one then... Do some board game arbitrage in a sense...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Selecta84 posted:

But yeah, 105 is a lot.

Last heard, R&D manufacturers in Germany.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

Last heard, R&D manufacturers in Germany.

Really? That's interesting. I mean it could explain the price as the wages and stuff should be higher as when they were manufacturing overseas.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That How To Play guy is pretty clever. Half of the explanations I've seen are functional (barely) alternative games with the same components.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

That How To Play guy is pretty clever. Half of the explanations I've seen are functional (barely) alternative games with the same components.
Oh man, as a dad still traumatized by the game, his rules for Candyland would have been pretty fun.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Being too cool and good for CAH is just as annoying as being into CAH now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How is Concordia as a 2 player gateway game? I’m looking for reasons to buy it, and my SO is as good an excuse as any.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fat Samurai posted:

How is Concordia as a 2 player gateway game? I’m looking for reasons to buy it, and my SO is as good an excuse as any.

It's not quite gateway level but it flows really well and is pretty straightforward. Also really good at 2 (there are smaller maps just for it).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not quite gateway level but it flows really well and is pretty straightforward. Also really good at 2 (there are smaller maps just for it).

What are the maps? I know Venus comes with one that they say works with 2 but you basically cut off a third of the board.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Retromancer posted:

Very much disagree with this. One will absolutely destroy a party, the other has, at worst, someone be insufferable for a few moments before a new game is pulled out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks. Are the smaller maps in the base game or do I need some expansions?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Morpheus posted:

Very much disagree with this. One will absolutely destroy a party, the other has, at worst, someone be insufferable for a few moments before a new game is pulled out.

Plus this is less of a game and more of a cute way to get people to support his other content.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I will say this though, there are many creators that are terrible people but have good products/content. CAH is probably the only one I can think of where I like the company as a whole, even though their product is unfiltered garbage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fat Samurai posted:

Base game includes a double sided map :)

FulsomFrank posted:

What are the maps? I know Venus comes with one that they say works with 2 but you basically cut off a third of the board.

I have the base game and Salsa maps, which are both double sided large/small maps. There are a few standalone map packs too but I'm not familiar with them.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I played Tigris & Euphrates over the weekend with my SO (who weirdly seems to enjoy abstracts more than any other genre, she really likes Tash Kalar too) and it went over pretty well once we got over the initial hump of the learning curve. We both played pretty passively, not going for wars much, ended up with four monuments on the board.

Once the end of game is triggered do monuments pump out one more thing of points or does the game just go straight to scoring?

I can see this becoming one of my favorites, the way the board can evolve and morph is insane, I really want to get back to it with more players. The game felt really tight and we were both being driven mad that we could only do two actions per turn. It was great.

My biggest complaint is how weird it is to internalize some of the rules. Revolts vs wars resolving and the results of that are just a bit annoying to have to remember which is which, but I'm sure that will go away with more plays. Just annoying to make sure everyone know what goes towards your support level and what will happen to the board after a war and all that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Retromancer posted:

Strongly disagree, CaH is bad at being a game, exclusionary as a default, and there are *so many* party games that could be pulled out that don't have one or both of those problems.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I played it once with my friend who is not a gamer at all. He liked it quite a bit. We played the Britannia* board, which is made for 2 players.

One thing I like about Concordia is that it's fairly rules-light and there's not a lot of confusion about what you can do on your turn. The cards have everything written on them, and you play them enough times during the game that repetition of actions will reinforce your understanding of the cards.

As far as gateway games with actual depth, I really like Concordia. It also has a lot of replayability and scales well if you get some of the different maps. The map expansions are also fairly cheap ($15ish) unlike something like Ticket to Ride where new maps are $40ish.

Edit: * - Britannia is a separate board (for reference, here's one link https://www.miniaturemarket.com/rgga43.html)

medchem fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 13, 2019

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Retromancer posted:

Being too cool and good for Catan is just as annoying as being into Catan now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's *kinda* true? Catan Junior is legit better than regular though, much less chip taking and actually ends quickly. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

That's *kinda* true? Catan Junior is legit better than regular though, much less chip taking and actually ends quickly. :v:

It makes me wish they could reprint Starfarers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

It makes me wish they could reprint Starfarers.

I've heard lots of people say this and I still don't know: what *is* starfarers, like, what things does it change in catan to make it so compelling?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

silvergoose posted:

I've heard lots of people say this and I still don't know: what *is* starfarers, like, what things does it change in catan to make it so compelling?

It has plastic spaceships with dice in them

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There's a lot of interesting stuff on Kickstarter in March and April. The new Root expansion, KeyMarket, Glen More II (which went up today), and next month is the new Vital, On Mars.

e: Speaking of which, has anyone played a PNP/virtual game of Escape Plan? It looks pretty sweet and actually kinda medium-heavyish for a Vital.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I will say this though, there are many creators that are terrible people but have good products/content. CAH is probably the only one I can think of where I like the company as a whole, even though their product is unfiltered garbage.

If it helps, Max Temkin has allegations of rape against him, and his response to it was absolutely terrible, lol.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

taser rates posted:

If it helps, Max Temkin has allegations of rape against him, and his response to it was absolutely terrible, lol.

Well. poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FulsomFrank posted:

Fat Samurai posted:

Most of the releases have 2 maps, with one being for smaller player counts (2-3P) and one being for larger groups. The full Venus box has 4 maps, with most being for larger player counts.

If you want 2P maps I'd look at Corsica or Creta (this comes with Aegyptus, another smallish map) though there's nothing wrong with just starting with the base game and playing on Italia or Ionium for a while.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

golden bubble posted:

It's a good, medium-light rondel game. The engine building feels good, and there is a nice mix of strategy and tactics. But the theme is basically pasted on, with very little resemblance to the actual crusades. Also, there is very little scaling for different player counts. The end of game VP limit changes, but basically nothing else does. This means that 4-player games are much more interactive and competitive than two player games, where each player gets half the map unmolested. Also, don't get the "upgraded" pieces. The wooden parts look good and have much better clarity than the poor plastic pieces.

Agreed - I liked Crusaders:Thy Will Be Done a lot more than Trajan, because it felt like everything was sensibly connected instead of being a point salad. I was shocked to find that the upgraded pieces were the plastic ones - I had assumed upgrades go cardboard to plastic to wood! I do wish there were more factions/player powers - if you play a lot I could see falling into ruts because of that.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We finished out Aeon's End: Legacy. It was fine. Mild spoilers ahead.

The tempo of the game got better over time, the early missions were really short and unsatisfying - but by the end it gives you enough time to get to your engine going (without making you run your engine forever).

On the flip side, gameplay really got into a rut. We all did essentially the same stuff for the last 4 missions, and that sucked the drama out of the climax. At the beginning, the supply upgrades are super interesting choices - but eventually we got to a set of supply piles we liked, and made only marginal changes from there on in. By the end, our in-game decisions were very much on autopilot; we followed the same builds each time without much variance or drama. It felt like we won or lost (well, we really only won) based more on "between game choices" and luck than how we played out each game.

The story/setting is painfully bland. For progression, everyone just kind of ended up in a job and took whatever +1 would help that job the most. You had roles, but they were too static, too straightforward (I'll get +1 damage, since I shoot stuff early), and had no thematic support. It's hard to go from Gloomhaven, where the different characters all feel so interesting and different, to this kind of lame mild variation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

Many things. First, as mentioned, you have a giant rocketship which functions as a second randomiser and also can be upgraded. Guns let you liberate pirate worlds, booster rings let you colonise ice planets and thrusters let you explore faster.

Second, the game has random encounters which add player choices. Usually these are between getting a sure minor reward or rolling the ship to try and get a big reward, but they are nice for theme and they mean your turn is a bit more varied than "roll dice, pick up stuff, buy stuff".

Third, you have to reach and explore alien planets before you can place colonies. It adds a bit of luck in one respect, but it means that unlike Catan the game isn't 90% decided by the end of setup.

Four: there are four alien races with whom you can establish trading posts. These are worth points, and they also let you choose a special power from that race's set.

Overall I wouldn't exactly call Starfarers compelling, but it's much more fun than the regular game and you have many more choices to make. A revised 2E with just a few tweaks could potentially be very strong.