Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
When my dad had his software company and he delivered whatever program he was contracted for, he'd always hand out these little foam hammers attacked to a cardboard backer and it said something like "in case of bugs or frustration, use this to hit your keyboard or monitor".

I wish I still had some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have a group of remote users that all live in the same general area. They decide they want laptops so they can go to each others houses and work and "feel like they are at work". Okay whatever you want a laptop great, you just had a refresh last year and requested desktops so you can get them in 2023.

You want them now and are willing to pay for them out of pocket? Sure here's our list of approved laptops for the BYOD program that already exists for people that want the option to work from home.

They all expected to spend $200 or less. Oh you found something with the same specs for $500 instead of $1,000? well that's a 2nd generation i3 not an i5 released recently like the spec sheet says, it also has 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB.

I don't care how much you complain I am not supporting a lovely device. Buy from the list, get it approved by me, or you are on your own have fun installing that VPN software. The entire bunch of them is computer illiterate.

They CCed the CEO and CFO saying "pixaal is being unreasonable with the requirements and doesn't want us to have laptops" :munch: they have my back on this one, they've had under specced refreshes before and know full well what happens. To quote the CEO "The computer stops listening to you then it kills one of the boxes and another box tells you the computer forgot about the other box" (I believe he's attempting to remember the Windows ran out of memory error).

stevewm
May 10, 2005
On the phone with Comcast... demanding a bill credit for the 1 month, 5 days our service was non-functional. It is going about as well as you can imagine. Already hung up on once.

Edit: HA! They tried to claim "it was an outage in your area, we don't credit for those"

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 12, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

stevewm posted:

On the phone with Comcast... demanding a bill credit for the 1 month, 5 days our service was non-functional. It is going about as well as you can imagine. Already hung up on once.

Do you have an SLA? Without one they may not have to give you poo poo. You being a business they wont credit you without an agreement stating when they will give you a credit or pay a fee. If you do have an SLA and they violated it and still wont give you credit, forward that poo poo to legal and get it off your plate (after reminding Comcast of your SLA and then reading the penalty for the violation).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

pixaal posted:

Do you have an SLA? Without one they may not have to give you poo poo. You being a business they wont credit you without an agreement stating when they will give you a credit or pay a fee. If you do have an SLA and they violated it and still wont give you credit, forward that poo poo to legal and get it off your plate (after reminding Comcast of your SLA and then reading the penalty for the violation).

There is no SLA as such... but every ISP I have dealt with in the past will work with you when poo poo like this happens. Figured I had nothing to loose giving it a try.

Edit: Success! They credited one month plus a small prorated amount! Assholes.... Still dropping them at the 2 locations we discovered we can get fiber at.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 12, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Scaramouche posted:

Big old industrial machine with a primitive touchscreen. Can serve hundred cups an hour, grinds each one on the spot. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was an early Cafection machine, they've since moved to solid state drives.

I need one of the smaller Cafection machines in my apartment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not pissing me off: a huuuuuuuuuuge software vendor we use for our core software (the thing we use for our main business function) is putting out an upgrade. We're testing their new UI, so we're ahead of the curve and one of the first places rolling out the upgrade, even though we're pretty small in our industry. My coworker & I set it up weekend before last, and the first thing I notice is that I can't paste passwords anymore; this seems real stupid to me, and I put in a ticket asking how to disable that. They tell me it's a security feature, and I can't. I explain that we use password databases, and this is going to have a substantially negative impact on our security, not to mention increasing the amount of time it takes to do password resets roughly tenfold (since you can't even paste into the "new password" field when resetting someone else's password). I get told too bad, so sad, if we want we can request custom code, so I do, and additionally request that they tell me what security hole they're fixing with this (they refuse for "obvious reasons"). I also ask why this "feature" wasn't documented anywhere in the release notes or release summary, and they follow up with an email this morning

Well, like I said, we're tiny, and pretty much our only option on this is to suck it up and deal. However, we have a weekly call with other people planning to upgrade the software in the next couple of months. It's about 35 companies who all report on their status and any issues they're running into, and we're towards the end of the alphabet, so we're going close to last. No one else mentions the password thing (not too surprising, since a lot of people don't even have the system on Test yet). It comes around to my turn, and I bring it up, and mention what a big deal it is to us. The dude running the call says, "okay, anything else?" No one else speaks up or anything. So, I figure, oh, well, we must be the only ones worried about this. They move on to the next company, but then, the company after that one says "we'd like to thank <Thanatosian's employer> for bringing this password thing up, we're also very concerned about it." Dude running the call asks "is anyone else concerned about this?" Three other companies pipe up. Then, on comes "this is so-and-so from <company literally a hundred times bigger than Thanatosian's, that had already spoken>, we're also very concerned about this." The guy asks "okay, would it be better if this were configurable?" And person from bigass company says "I mean, ideally, we'd like single sign-on."

I was doing a goddamn touchdown dance. I may have ranted a bit to my coworkers about this (not that they disagreed), but I had figured it was over, since we're so small and can't really exert much pressure. So goddamn happy.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

stevewm posted:

Edit: HA! They tried to claim "it was an outage in your area, we don't credit for those"

My favorite Comcast thing, which I don't know if it is so true but it was in 2006, is that if you had auto-pay setup and cancelled your service with them the would continue to bill you even though there was no service to bill.

I moved out of my apartment in college where I had Comcast internet and moved to Japan in 2006. A couple months later my parents get a letter/bill addressed to me at their house from my bank I used in college saying I was overdrawn. Turned out Comcast had billed me for 2 months after I cancelled my service. After several hours on the phone with them my mom got them to refund that money(why the gently caress would it require that much to get them to return money they took for a cancelled account), but they refused to pay the overdraft fee they caused.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

My favorite Comcast thing, which I don't know if it is so true but it was in 2006, is that if you had auto-pay setup and cancelled your service with them the would continue to bill you even though there was no service to bill.

I moved out of my apartment in college where I had Comcast internet and moved to Japan in 2006. A couple months later my parents get a letter/bill addressed to me at their house from my bank I used in college saying I was overdrawn. Turned out Comcast had billed me for 2 months after I cancelled my service. After several hours on the phone with them my mom got them to refund that money(why the gently caress would it require that much to get them to return money they took for a cancelled account), but they refused to pay the overdraft fee they caused.

Par for the course for them. They commonly do this and also will bill you for equipment you never had, or have already returned.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

-Vendor backing of implementing no pasting into the password field story-

This is the feel good post of the year assuming it actually gets implemented. Most people are willing to just assume something wont go live. That's why none of the big places brought it up if it had come up in their testing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

happy stuff

I've had a few moments like this with our current business app provider. We are in a similar situation in that this piece of software powers our entire business. From POS, EDI, AR, AP, etc.. everything really.

A couple years ago the company changed owners.. The old owners had a serious problem of not listening to their customer base. They would often make small changes like you outlined without consulting anyone, or even documenting it, and in some cases major changes. As a token gesture after a bunch of complaints they would sometimes make a post on their Google Group asking customer opinion on upcoming changes to functionality. Even if every single reply was negative, they would still go ahead with it, only to reverse the change the next patch cycle. In one completely boneheaded case they removed alternate tender functionality... With no mention in their "patch notes". So if you had a need to tender purchases as something other than cash/check/credit you where out of luck. This type of thing is common in our industry; we often have things like financing plans or private label cards, which we use those alternate tenders for. Their message board was completely filled with customer complaints with an hour of the update going out. They never explained why it was removed in the first place, just that "due to overwhelming customer demand, the functionality was put back in place".

A different company bought them out a few years ago, and thankfully the new owners have a much better attitude and actually welcome customer participation and opinions. They changed their development model to document every single change in a very detailed change log provided to all customers. Surveys are sent out when major changes to functionality are being considered, and they actually seem to listen to them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Good software is made when you write the patch notes before you write any code at all. You check the feature off as implemented and work your way through the patch notes. Or more likely you have a list of issues and you mark them as complete then whatever is complete is turned into patch notes. Either way making code and then writing what you did always results in undocumented changes because you forgot.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pixaal posted:

Good software is made when you write the patch notes before you write any code at all. You check the feature off as implemented and work your way through the patch notes. Or more likely you have a list of issues and you mark them as complete then whatever is complete is turned into patch notes. Either way making code and then writing what you did always results in undocumented changes because you forgot.

:psyboom:

You can do that?! Man, if only someone would spread the good word!

:smithicide:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

I think I get unreasonably irritated by people who can't get the names of things right. "Share Point", "NetApps", "lap top". It's your loving job, you work with this stuff all day long, please learn how to spell it.

This is the kind of poo poo where I wish that every interview had a basic computer competency questionnaire. I've run into so many people at my job who are either really good at playing dumb, or completely clueless & need their hands held through everything. I mean drat, computers have been around long enough & mainstream for the better part of the last 20 years, there's no reason anyone over the age of like 12 shouldn't have basic experience. Even better when it's people that are like 5-10 years your senior & they talk about how their 5th grader figured out how to fix the "mommy/daddy did something stupid" issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanatosian posted:

And person from bigass company says "I mean, ideally, we'd like single sign-on."

:gizz:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This is the kind of poo poo where I wish that every interview had a basic computer competency questionnaire. I've run into so many people at my job who are either really good at playing dumb, or completely clueless & need their hands held through everything. I mean drat, computers have been around long enough & mainstream for the better part of the last 20 years, there's no reason anyone over the age of like 12 shouldn't have basic experience. Even better when it's people that are like 5-10 years your senior & they talk about how their 5th grader figured out how to fix the "mommy/daddy did something stupid" issue.

I once applied for a comms job in the armed forces, and they put every candidate through a written test on radio tech, orbital mechanics as it affected satellite communications, networking etc. It was actually pretty rad how thorough that test was, you'd be in trouble without a STEM degree and/or long experience in the field. I nailed it, still didn't get the job :smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am constantly frustrated that SSO is considered an Enterprise feature by a lot of vendors.

I have some SaaS apps that are only used by 2-3 people, but I still want them to have a consistent identity and authentication experience.

SSO also means I don't have to rely on some lovely vendors half-assed MFA implementation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it sucks poo poo. Oh you want your Adobe Creative Cloud accounts to integrate with your existing directory? That'll be literally double the price for an enterprise plan, thx.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

This is the feel good post of the year assuming it actually gets implemented. Most people are willing to just assume something wont go live. That's why none of the big places brought it up if it had come up in their testing.
It is highly unlikely they don't fix it with a hotfix in the very near future. Like, if you had asked me "pick one company you want to say 'this is a problem,'" it would have been them I would have named.

The Fool posted:

I am constantly frustrated that SSO is considered an Enterprise feature by a lot of vendors.

I have some SaaS apps that are only used by 2-3 people, but I still want them to have a consistent identity and authentication experience.

SSO also means I don't have to rely on some lovely vendors half-assed MFA implementation.

Yeah, that knife twist was just beautiful, and I really want to drive over to their HQ, find that person, and high-five them (their HQ isn't very far from us).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I need one of the smaller Cafection machines in my apartment.

I'm not in that business any more, but their most recent introduction before I left was basically an 18" tablet with a coffee machine attached. It had speakers too so you could use it as a movie player if you wanted to hack around enough. The only thing I couldn't do was prevent the coffee making process from interrupting the movie otherwise we could have had some great coffee/movie parties going on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

Par for the course for them. They commonly do this and also will bill you for equipment you never had, or have already returned.

That’s why you always demand and keep a return receipt. These days (at least in my area) they’re very good about it. Even if you use their pre-labels boxes to UPS it back, UPS has a deal with them and you get a receipt of return for the device as well as the package tracker.

I had a call about 10 years ago when I bought my own cable modem. I got a “we don’t have a record” and I said “that’s OK, here’s the receipt number”. She was able to track it down by that number since the serial was still registered as not checked in. The phone person also said “I wish more people would keep these. I don’t like getting yelled at for things the computer tells me”*

* - And I get that. Whenever I start feeling frustrated, I always make sure to say “Listen, I’m not mad at you *personally*, just that this entire situation is thing in the first place”

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanatosian posted:

It is highly unlikely they don't fix it with a hotfix in the very near future. Like, if you had asked me "pick one company you want to say 'this is a problem,'" it would have been them I would have named.

Yeah, that knife twist was just beautiful, and I really want to drive over to their HQ, find that person, and high-five them (their HQ isn't very far from us).

If you k ow their name you should do it. Show up with balloons and make it awkward as hell but also bring food.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wibla posted:

:psyboom:

You can do that?! Man, if only someone would spread the good word!

:smithicide:

quote:

1. The product is only as good as the plan for the product. At the on-board shuttle group, about one-third of the process of writing software happens before anyone writes a line of code. NASA and the Lockheed Martin group agree in the most minute detail about everything the new code is supposed to do — and they commit that understanding to paper, with the kind of specificity and precision usually found in blueprints. Nothing in the specs is changed without agreement and understanding from both sides. And no coder changes a single line of code without specs carefully outlining the change. Take the upgrade of the software to permit the shuttle to navigate with Global Positioning Satellites, a change that involves just 1.5% of the program, or 6,366 lines of code. The specs for that one change run 2,500 pages, a volume thicker than a phone book. The specs for the current program fill 30 volumes and run 40,000 pages.

They Write the Right Stuff

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Actually, the distribution of users’ computer skills is worse than you think, this is a drum I have to keep on banging until my dying breath. Educators, IT-professionals, C-Levels and users themselves... they all refuse to believe that it's as bad as it is (and that it doesn't really have much to do with age).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

When you have a budget of tens of millions for a single key feature, and that single feature is life and safety critical, as well as internationally embarrassing for the country should something bad happen, you can get the kind of pie-in-the-sky design documents that aerospace works with. For everyone else, you get emails from Karen, who invited herself into the design review team for the client, and she's caused more rework than a language change would have, twice over.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They teach password security in 4th grade now, my mom just taught it. It had as much reaction as sex ed parents are outraged that the school told their kids about people stealing user accounts.

Its pretty hilarious. She showed me a few emails calling her a liar and that no one would want to steal anyone else's account. One threatened to sue her and vowed she'd never teach again.

My mom has well above average computer skills though, I'm not sure how the other classrooms went but she apparently scared the gently caress out of some kids.

I'm going to go over Keypass with her this weekend so she can get it added to next years cyber security day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pixaal posted:

They teach password security in 4th grade now, my mom just taught it. It had as much reaction as sex ed parents are outraged that the school told their kids about people stealing user accounts.

Its pretty hilarious. She showed me a few emails calling her a liar and that no one would want to steal anyone else's account. One threatened to sue her and vowed she'd never teach again.

What possible outrage could this generate?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

There's a significant amount of parents that demand that their kids share their passwords and accounts with them, there's been some reports about how this both led to kids sharing passwords with their friends (with terrible results) and how this kind of killed the trust relationship between parents and their kids.

So I guess it's mostly helicopter parents infuriated at people telling them that their kids should not share accounts with them.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'd love to know what these parents, who are dumb enough to believe identity theft doesn't happen, think they're achieving by knowing their kids' passwords.

Yep, logged into little Johnny's CPU, he hasn't got any folders called PORN or ISIS TRAINING VIDEOS on his desktop, this all checks out

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Wachter posted:

I'd love to know what these parents, who are dumb enough to believe identity theft doesn't happen, think they're achieving by knowing their kids' passwords.

Yep, logged into little Johnny's CPU, he hasn't got any folders called PORN or ISIS TRAINING VIDEOS on his desktop, this all checks out

Besides, it's more likely that their little johnny will be using dads creditcard to buy all the Fortnite skins.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Besides, it's more likely that their little johnny will be using dads creditcard to buy all the Fortnite skins.

Pfft, as if anyone would ever pretend to be another person in order to steal their money :rolleyes:

anyway despite not knowing much about comput-a-trons I think I know how to raise my child thank you very much and he would never oh excuse me while I take this unrelated call from my bank

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

They are too young! It's ruining their innocence and trust in people by telling them people just want to steal their accounts. They want their kids to live in ignorant bliss. Same reason they don't want you to tell their kids about STDs and drugs.

They used actual examples from students stealing from other students including one that resulted in a suspension of the victim at the middle school where the student told the teacher they were fat and stupid. They have at least 1 account theft student to student in Elementary to middle school age a year. The lesson had nothing to do with monetary theft.

I'll see if I can get the one comparing it to telling the kids Santa isn't real when I see her this weekend.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 13, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pixaal posted:

We delivered the new version of our software to QA 6 weeks ago. I'm still getting new feature requests from the people who put together the original feature list. Since they also haven't finished the required documentation (they didn't start until after it was sent to QA because why do things in advance) they at least haven't been asking why the software hasn't been released to our customers. And yes, I have been pushing back saying they'll be in the next release.

duz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 13, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wachter posted:

Parents I know with kids that age all check their text messages and things like that. Of course that doesn’t stop them from doing whatever they want in apps their parents don’t understand how to use.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

They are too young! It's ruining their innocence and trust in people by telling them people just want to steal their accounts. They want their kids to live in ignorant bliss. Same reason they don't want you to tell their kids about STDs and drugs.

They used actual examples from students stealing from other students including one that resulted in a suspension of the victim at the middle school where the student told the teacher they were fat and stupid. They have at least 1 account theft student to student in Elementary to middle school age a year. The lesson had nothing to do with monetary theft.

I'll see if I can get the one comparing it to telling the kids Santa isn't real when I see her this weekend.

Parents in general have a hard time realizing that their cute little three year old is now 11, transitioning into an adult, and dealing with adult issues. This is the time to stop protecting them from the world and start teaching them how to survive it.

We've set the age of adulthood at 18, but that doesn't mean that adult problems will magically wait for that age before appearing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Technology has all kinds of weird crossovers with parenting. My younger sister uses this Orwellian video monitor system when her baby is sleeping which, sure I guess. But the majority of humanity survived infancy without that, and it's kinda creepy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humanity as a species survived sure. But for most of history kids have died from stupid poo poo all the goddamn time. 100 years ago getting to 2 years old was a huge success.

I think 200 out of every 1000 babies died as infants in the 1800's and now it's well below 1%.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And stuff like the video cameras are more quality of life for the parent rather than enhancement of the safety of the kid.

For example, baby monitors allowed our friends to hang out on their back deck and have company over rather than camping out in the house within earshot of the kid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

Technology has all kinds of weird crossovers with parenting. My younger sister uses this Orwellian video monitor system when her baby is sleeping which, sure I guess. But the majority of humanity survived infancy without that, and it's kinda creepy.

Baby monitors are a godsend, man. A baby can get itself into mortal danger in moments. Baby monitors let you set the baby down and get some relief while still being able to check on them. It's loving awesome. I didn't use one for my own kid (too poor at the time), but my sister had one when I babysat a few times. It was amazing, and I wish I could go back in time to buy my past self one.

Once kids are older, monitoring them that closely is a huge can of worms. Lot of parents don't see draconian digital monitoring solutions as an imposition, but their kids almost certainly do. The parents would chafe under the same scruitny: say their boss puts in a similar solution at work to make sure no one's wasting time on Facebook. They'd think it's just the worst thing ever. These parents often don't draw the parallel, or if they do, they don't care.

I think I'll stop here before this turns into a debate on different parenting philosophies, which is pretty far off topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Christ, after our team has been developing this app in an Azure kubernetes environment for 2 months our CIO wants us to move everything on prem for some loving reason. The app is supposed to go live 4/3 and it hasn't even left dev yet, no testing has been performed.

Anyone hiring a cloud systems admin in Maryland?