Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am seriously mad that my taxes that I haven't had to pay for years go to support complete imbecile Eric Grenier and his embarrassingly arbitrary and practically useless model.

Not to mention that his dumb loving baby face also gets invited to panels like Power and Politics where they keep asking him questions about things he knows nothing about (everything). The breadth of his ignorance is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Instead of spending hundreds of thousands of tax dollars to send homeopathic "doctors" as aid to foreign disaster zones we should have send Lowtax 60k to pay for his stupid neck.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

eXXon posted:

I am seriously mad that my taxes that I haven't had to pay for years go to support complete imbecile Eric Grenier and his embarrassingly arbitrary and practically useless model.

Not to mention that his dumb loving baby face also gets invited to panels like Power and Politics where they keep asking him questions about things he knows nothing about (everything). The breadth of his ignorance is astounding.

better they have him on than Christy loving Clark

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Instead of spending hundreds of thousands of tax dollars to send homeopathic "doctors" as aid to foreign disaster zones we should have send Lowtax 60k to pay for his stupid neck.

Given the current state of American healthcare I bet you could actually make a case to get at least some kind of aid to him.

Preferably not a homeopathic "doctor" though. His spine probably doesnt need any more trauma.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arivia posted:

The only question I have is what the access will be like for medical/disability uses. Like straws are an easy target but make drinking a lot easier for people with physical disabilities. I’m going through a bunch doing voice therapy. I can imagine a douche being counted as a single-use plastic, although I reuse one for medical reasons daily. How will those kinds of uses be accounted for? I’m skeptical of Dougie caring for medical/disability rights.

Paper/cardboard straws

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Arivia posted:

The only question I have is what the access will be like for medical/disability uses. Like straws are an easy target but make drinking a lot easier for people with physical disabilities. I’m going through a bunch doing voice therapy. I can imagine a douche being counted as a single-use plastic, although I reuse one for medical reasons daily. How will those kinds of uses be accounted for? I’m skeptical of Dougie caring for medical/disability rights.

All of this is more a problem of disposal and recycling. Plastic would be fine to use if we didn't just throw it away into landfills and the ocean and could recoup the raw materials. Banning 1 kind of disposable plastic doesn't really matter, no matter how ubiquitous. We have to change everything not just legislate something small and pat ourselves on the back

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

All of this is more a problem of disposal and recycling. Plastic would be fine to use if we didn't just throw it away into landfills and the ocean and could recoup the raw materials. Banning 1 kind of disposable plastic doesn't really matter, no matter how ubiquitous. We have to change everything not just legislate something small and pat ourselves on the back

There may be more to it than just a ban on single-use plastics.

quote:

Ontario is also mulling a deposit return system for plastic bottles and other containers, as is used in some other provinces.

quote:

Ontario may also allow more items to be collected through Blue Box programs, including small and large appliances, power tools, rechargeable batteries, fluorescent bulbs and clothing.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Lobok posted:

There may be more to it than just a ban on single-use plastics.

Yes, good. That's the next step for us, total recuperation. It needs to become a sector of government and industry on its own

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

From what I recall, the problem with recycling plastic straws is a technical/convenience issue for recycling plants. Apparently plastic straws just get stuck in the conveyor belts in recycling plants, so they don't get recycled and may end up causing mechanical problems. I'm not saying they're good reasons, but unfortunately recycling is also a business, and the profits they would make by adapting to straws don't compensate for the investment in modifications, etc

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

I appreciate the link but he's discussing his methodology rather than providing the details. And, as many eloquently pointed out, it's deeply flawed.

Eric Grenier posted:

Despite performing better than most individual polls [...]

:allears:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

rgocs posted:

From what I recall, the problem with recycling plastic straws is a technical/convenience issue for recycling plants.

Yes. And when they sift through recyclables they don't manually pick the smaller items. Same goes for small scraps of paper. We recycle a lot less than what's sent to the recycling sorting facility. Also there's the business profits concern :(

I worked as a hospital janitor a long time ago. Maybe it's an isolated case but we used to throw away most recycling in the garbage because :effort:

Ugh

Edit: plastic straws and grocery bags in landfills tend to be blown by the wind and end up in water where they choke animals

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 13, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Polling: may as well be staring at entrails.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes, good. That's the next step for us, total recuperation. It needs to become a sector of government and industry on its own

I don't remember all the details but I've heard one of our city councillors here in Toronto tell the story of how lobbying and the switch to cans dismantled what used to be a much more robust deposit return system in the province.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I appreciate the link but he's discussing his methodology rather than providing the details. And, as many eloquently pointed out, it's deeply flawed.

:allears:

FOIA his excel sheet then nerd.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You're a data driven guy, why do you stan Grenier's particular brand of digital haruspicy every single election? Is it because it's all we've got?

Like, you know, and we know, and Eric Grenier surely loving knows that the polling data he has available doesn't actually support any of the projections he tries to make with it, but he keeps trying to divine some wisdom from sand and he keeps publishing it like it's meaningful in some way.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 13, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
a) Having someone pretend he's legitimate helps us all hate him better
b) He's a handy place to at least get links to the latest polls
c) He's kind of entertaining, like a fortune teller, the way he divines his visions
d) He is key to getting people to vote strategically for my man j-tru, the narrative right from the start is the ndp have a zero percent chance of winning the election

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 13, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Okay, fair. I would definitely respect him more if he set up shop in a room with rugs on the walls, a crystal ball, velvet drapes, and one of those neon palmistry signs on the door.

No kidding re: item d), all those "independent" strategic voting sites that inevitably crop up as the election progresses somehow manage to use the CBC poll aggregation (plus a proprietary formula!) to tell you to vote Liberal the vast majority of the time.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 13, 2019

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

xtal posted:

If we band together we can sponsor him as a refugee

No need, he's already married to a Canadian.

infernal machines posted:

You're a data driven guy, why do you stan Grenier's particular brand of digital haruspicy every single election? Is it because it's all we've got?

Like, you know, and we know, and Eric Grenier surely loving knows that the polling data he has available doesn't actually support any of the projections he tries to make with it, but he keeps trying to divine some wisdom from sand and he keeps publishing it like it's meaningful in some way.

A few years back the CBC decided they needed to have an equivalent to Nate Silver. This is what we got.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I feel for the guy a bit, data is a tough field. In medical evidence and probably most science, we have publication bias meaning mostly only studies showing some strong effect or positive results get published. A lot of the studies that are full of real and valuable data but don't have a decisive conclusion or have a negative one don't get published. Then researchers do honest meta-analyses on all published papers and doctors start prescribing drugs that don't really work. All to say, if eric grenier's website truthfully said who the gently caress knows we're 6 months away, he'd have to get a real job and somebody else would take the role of poll gypsy because there's some market for it.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

So you're saying he's providing naturopathic poll analyses?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you really dilute his results they're actually incredibly effective.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Had an interesting discussion the other day in which a social worker in southern Ontario described how her place of work refuses to hire another full time staff member. Instead they've hired someone to work 4 days of the week because this means they don't have to provide full benefits. The day of the week the extra worker doesn't come in the regular staff just have to work that much harder despite being under staffed even when they do have the extra help.

Anyway this social worker quite candidly admitted that two patients this week died because there weren't enough staff on hand to get them proper treatment. Totally preventable deaths that would have been avoided with recommended staffing levels.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Garneau flip-flopped and now the jets can't fly.

quote:

Despite his new grounding order, Garneau said the American authority is "an extremely professional organization" and Canada is "very comfortable" with it as a certifying agency for American makers' airplanes.

They do great work while the government isn't shut down, so therefore...

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

flakeloaf posted:

Garneau flip-flopped and now the jets can't fly.

They do great work while the government isn't shut down, so therefore...

Canada wants to back up US/corporations so bad that it takes everyone else shutting off their airspace before they admit that it would maybe be safer to ground the planes until it's worked out. (In fact, they didn't even admit it now that I re-read it). Sounds exactly like the liberals we voted for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

Anyway this social worker quite candidly admitted that two patients this week died because there weren't enough staff on hand to get them proper treatment. Totally preventable deaths that would have been avoided with recommended staffing levels.

This is every level of social services in Toronto right now. We've been racking up a body count for years and every year the budgets get cut a little more and the deaths get a little more obvious. Somehow no matter how many little cardboard grave markers get left outside the mayor's office come budget season we just keep on keeping on.

e: Oh, also today we raided and dismantled the homeless camp under the elevated highway we're spending a billion dollars to maintain.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Helsing posted:

Had an interesting discussion the other day in which a social worker in southern Ontario described how her place of work refuses to hire another full time staff member. Instead they've hired someone to work 4 days of the week because this means they don't have to provide full benefits. The day of the week the extra worker doesn't come in the regular staff just have to work that much harder despite being under staffed even when they do have the extra help.

Well jeez man, it's not like they're in any position to know what people's lives are like when they can't secure steady, full-time employment.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

rgocs posted:

From what I recall, the problem with recycling plastic straws is a technical/convenience issue for recycling plants. Apparently plastic straws just get stuck in the conveyor belts in recycling plants, so they don't get recycled and may end up causing mechanical problems. I'm not saying they're good reasons, but unfortunately recycling is also a business, and the profits they would make by adapting to straws don't compensate for the investment in modifications, etc

Yeah which is why it can't be a business anymore. A national structure of reclamation, along side a dramatic shift in energy sourcing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Yup. A good example of how little of proper funding is where it needs to go. I'm sure if you had the same talk to nurses in underfunded hospitals (eg all of them) they could give you examples ten times over of the exact same thing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is every level of social services in Toronto right now. We've been racking up a body count for years and every year the budgets get cut a little more and the deaths get a little more obvious. Somehow no matter how many little cardboard grave markers get left outside the mayor's office come budget season we just keep on keeping on.

e: Oh, also today we raided and dismantled the homeless camp under the elevated highway we're spending a billion dollars to maintain.

Not that I am criticizing the actions, but what is the benefit of raiding a hobo camp? Do any of them actually ask to receive shelter or they just disperse to another place still being homeless in Toronto?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They remain homeless, somewhere less visible. We have an ongoing shelter capacity crisis, not to mention a complete lack of long term shelter options.

People weren't living in tents under the Gardener during the coldest winter in recent memory because they had a lot of options.

The "benefit" to raiding the camp is removing them from view, from a very high traffic spot, where thousands of people a day going in and out of the city pass by daily. There's no real public safety argument I'm aware of, the city just doesn't like the look of tent cities in the derelict space under the highway. The fact that we're aiming to spend a significant chunk of the state-of-good-repair backlog for Toronto Community Housing to keep a tiny section section of said highway operational, for less than 3% of Toronto commuters, says something I'm sure.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 13, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

zapplez posted:

Yup. A good example of how little of proper funding is where it needs to go. I'm sure if you had the same talk to nurses in underfunded hospitals (eg all of them) they could give you examples ten times over of the exact same thing.

I'm getting a second hand impression of both the public and private elder care systems in this province via some of my eldery relatives and the only conclusion I can reach is that death panels are very much a real thing in Canada.

Yeah this is why for all the hate this thread has for rurals the group in Canada that I truly despise are the soft progressive professionals in the 5%-10% of top income earners who administer and defend this system.

The people who are busy participating in the physical processes that make society work or providing the secondary and tertiary services that support those activities are obviously part of the problem but I find their tunnel vision focus on their own lives much more understandable. On the other hand the 'knowledge workers' or 'symbolic analysts' or whatever the hot term is this decade for the white collar professional classes who perform the high level work, manage other employees or provide commentary on the system... those people are the ones with the education and social position to actually advocate for systemic change and to recognize the fundamental moral and economic insanity underlying the status quo. The fact they choose, as a group, to instead focus on carving out a little niche for themselves and their own families disgusts me.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

I'm getting a second hand impression of both the public and private elder care systems in this province via some of my eldery relatives and the only conclusion I can reach is that death panels are very much a real thing in Canada.

Yeah don't watch the "marketplace" investigation on nursing homes in Canada unless you want to be depressed for weeks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

zapplez posted:

Yeah don't watch the "marketplace" investigation on nursing homes in Canada unless you want to be depressed for weeks.

Those were the nice ones. I didn't see many things in my mortuary job that haunt me, but I'll happily sleep in the worst apartment before I visit the worst nursing home, any day.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/awudrick/status/1105840436524904449

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's a stupid criticism, I've been to Vulcan, and making it a little less of a boring shithole by spending money on stupid Star Trek references is honestly the most ideal use I can think of for a few thousand dollars.

There's nothing else there.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, four grand for publicity and even the possibility of increased tourism dollars is money well spent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, four grand for publicity and even the possibility of increased tourism dollars is money well spent.

I mean, I don't envy the people that see it and say "hey let's go to that cool Star Trek place" and then find themselves in Vulcan, AB, but yeah.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Canadian Tax Payers Federation is full of poo poo on everything they do

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Vulcan is aight, but it's no Torrington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

The "benefit" to raiding the camp is removing them from view, from a very high traffic spot, where thousands of people a day going in and out of the city pass by daily. There's no real public safety argument I'm aware of, the city just doesn't like the look of tent cities in the derelict space under the highway. The fact that we're aiming to spend a significant chunk of the state-of-good-repair backlog for Toronto Community Housing to keep a tiny section section of said highway operational, for less than 3% of Toronto commuters, says something I'm sure.
It could have been the dozen propane tanks lying around.