Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Final Fantasy 8 is just not actually very good, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

So tell me about cards. Sounds like they're for more than Triple Triad? When should I start playing that anyway?
You can start playing it at any time - it's funner earlier game, because eventually you get some rules added that just make you regret collecting any cards at all.

Diablos can learn the Card skill, which can turn an enemy into a card at low health. Kinda like hucking a pokeball at it, honestly. Doing this means you don't get XP from the fight, just AP - that way you can grind AP outside of boss battles without leveling up if you wanna be crazy.

Quetzacotl can learn Card Mod, which lets you turn cards into various items. The items can be absurdly powerful to get, because...

Most GFs have some form of refining magic skill. Like, Diablos can learn Time-RF and turn one Dragon Fin into twenty Doubles. Card Mod can turn Grendel cards into Dragon Fins. Alexander (admittedly this is a little late game, but it's an example) can turn 10 Doubles into one Triple. A bored run around the Island Closest To Hell and you can stock up on fifty Grendel cards, just from using Card in battle, which is enough to get 100 triples on a character - triple is a pretty drat good junctioning spell on certain stats.

But - you don't need to use Card ever? Grendel is a pretty common card people will use in rando card games and you can win plenty of them throughout the game. If you're not trying to do a 'collect them all' thing with the cards (I always do, but it's problematic) then every one of the GF and character cards can be card modded into some absurdly powerful items. Like the above thing, with triples? Card mod Squall's card into three Three Souls. Each single Three Souls item can be Time-RFed into 100 triples.

The card game's fun and cool to play, which is an amazing side benefit to a stupidly powerful way to break the game over your knee. Just, y'know - eventually you'll play a game and get stuck with Random or Plus rules and you'll loving hate everything about the game until you get rid of them again. (You can do that in Balamb Harbor, by playing against a student who's fishing)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is just not actually very good, I think.

That's actually one of the reasons I chose to play it. Not lying or trolling. I've heard so many bad things and hey it's the 20th anniversary so why not.

It's also the reason I want to break it instead of playing it as intended.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People should play RPGs like normal human beings on their first playthroughs imo

But then I just finished grinding for the Tournesol in FFXII yesterday so what do I know

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

People should play RPGs like normal human beings on their first playthroughs imo

Nah

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

But then I just finished grinding for the Tournesol in FFXII yesterday so what do I know

Doesn't it look badass? Love the design on that badboy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Thankfully they destroyed the source code of 8 so we never have to suffer it again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we all agree that every Final Fantasy is good, except 11.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Subsequent play through of FF8 should be for stuff like getting every ultimate weapon but one by the time you reach, what, Deling?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did enjoy my first time actually beating 8 after giving it up back in 99 due to being a dumb kid and using a gameshark around disc 3 to make everyone level 99 due to not understanding the junction system. Got up to the final form of Ultimecia before giving up. I beat at level 29 since I really didn't want to turn off random encounters but left them on half rate. Did that until I did hit level 29 and then switch no encounters on.

Shame I couldn't get all the cards because I got so sick of the awful rules like random and plus. Also only Irvine of all people got his ultimate weapon, as I couldn't find energy crystals, and the guide said the only enemies who have it are dragons and I was done with encounters at this point to care.

Do feel a little guilty beating the last boss by just letting Rinoa just run on Angel Wings and having Squall and Quitis keeping everyone alive and dealing with anything that happened.

Also I will always love you can give the final boss minion a name.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I know FF7 is the one getting a remake for economic reasons but I think FF8 is the game that would most benefit from a complete reconceptualization, since there's a lot of fragmented good stuff there but it just forgets about basically all the characters in the second half.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I know FF7 is the one getting a remake for economic reasons but I think FF8 is the game that would most benefit from a complete reconceptualization, since there's a lot of fragmented good stuff there but it just forgets about basically all the characters in the second half.
On top of that, FF8 is the one that has systems and designs that would most easily fold into the FF15 engine. FF6 and back are wicked customizable but work best as the 2d games they are, FF9 needs that 2d RPG nostalgia to work, FFX already has a good system, and FF12-13 are too new to need it.

The FF7 remake's probably going to be fine but I just don't see the game of FF7 fitting in the FF15 engine nearly as cleanly as FF8.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the card game rules if people say "hey lets use [new rule] in this region" just decline their challenge and after a few times they wont ask to use the new rule ever again. Do this a few times in each region and youll spread your preferred rules to that region, even people youve not talked to or played.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so I beat the dinosaur last night. It took a million years of Squall casting Shiva followed by Quistis casting Sleep but it wasn't hard. Just tedious.

What is all this GF poo poo you guys keep talking about? I only have 4 total GFs and I'm only level 10. I don't have access to any of that stuff.

So tell me about cards. Sounds like they're for more than Triple Triad? When should I start playing that anyway?

Go to the menu, look at Quez's abilities he can learn, set him to learn Card first. There is a beach near Balamb that has weird looking fish, they give a ton of AP and will learn card fast. Once you learn Card, equip it and neverkill another non-boss enemy, it will convert low health enemies into cards, removing their XP, but give you their AP and drops. Have Q learn Card Mod second. As you start grinding cards and AP, look at your various GF abilities and learn anything that involves Refine. Sets you up to basically learn tons of GF abilities without leveling up, while converting cards into items into spells, so that you're level 8 and running Squall with 99 Curagas junctioned to HP so that he is permanently limit breaking. Or do Quakes to STR and have him just hit like a truck without LBing. Really at that point its a choice of how you want to play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there any rom hacks that have completely replaced combat with Triple Triad like the Witcher 3 mod did with it's card game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

when talking about the FF7 remake fans of the original are afraid of what they might change, but if they remade 8 I feel like people would be more worried about what they might keep

at that point making something genuinely good would probably require hacking so much of 8 out that an easier way of trying to salvage the good ideas from 8 would be to just make an entirely new game that conceptually draws from 8 but is not actually 8

also: a game that is just most of the good ideas from 8 but without most of the bad ones already exists, it's called Persona 3

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remake FF8 but you just do SeeD stuff. You protect cable lines from monsters, you get paid, maybe buy out all the hot dogs to spite Zell. Do espionage on anti GF groups.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't that Type-0?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

when talking about the FF7 remake fans of the original are afraid of what they might change, but if they remade 8 I feel like people would be more worried about what they might keep

at that point making something genuinely good would probably require hacking so much of 8 out that an easier way of trying to salvage the good ideas from 8 would be to just make an entirely new game that conceptually draws from 8 but is not actually 8

also: a game that is just most of the good ideas from 8 but without most of the bad ones already exists, it's called Persona 3

That's damning with faint praise if I ever heard it

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't that Type-0?
Crisis Core

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Random question, what would you do for FF16?

I'd love something like a travelling caravan done similarly to the RDR2 one mechanically but like travelling a barely inhabited frontier or fallen kingdom.

Also heavy on the fantasy. I loved 15 but really think moogles and nonhumans were painfully missing.

Or a low key modern setting in some rural town that is also heavy on the fantasy (so like Twinpeaks but with moogles and monsters are just kind of a thing).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't actually care about another Final Fantasy, tbh. I like the older ones but it's clear they can't handle making them anymore and I'd rather those resources be given towards something new and interesting. Like, I'm not joking when I say to let Kawazu or someone crazy make a big budget game again. Or just focus on Dragon Quest, 11 was better than any Final Fantasy in over a decade.

I'm tired of modern Final Fantasy. It's too much.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Gimme proper dressup dolls and a real Weird West vibe but with pirate ships too

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

A Sometimes Food posted:

a game that's loving complete at launch and tells a decent story

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wild Arms gameplay

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Probably some kind of return to form a la ff9.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

LOL if you don’t think the FF7 remake will somehow become FF16.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Relin posted:

a game that's loving complete at launch and tells a decent story
what the hell is wrong with you jesus "yes hi here's my pitch for the next call of duty it's a super realistic singleplayer racing game"

we talking final fantasy here

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Probably some kind of return to form a la ff9.

Yeah, unlikely as it may be. They probably want to keep using the engine they invested so much into. If 16 is anything like 15, I'll probably wait a year to get the fixed game with DLC included for $20 instead of pre ordering like I've done for every other title in the series since 4. We've been on a steady downward trend since 9, MMOs excluded.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

motherfuckin' "complete at launch" bullshit fuckin' final fantasy "tells a decent story" bahgumbit fuckin' imma take a drat walk

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF16 should be that remake of Mystic Quest that someone made in RPG Maker and tried to sell a few years ago.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What SE should really do is try to do crossover games with other franchises.

I would pay a lot of money for Final Fantasy Madden.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you try to kick a field goal but then the goal's arms and head respawn and blocks just before it clears it, you should have been watching it's countdown more closely

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

They do this all the time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tae posted:

They do this all the time.

I mean other than Disney, Dragon Quest, Mario, Smash Bros, NieR, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, LittleBigPlanet, Everybody’s Golf, Tekken, Monster Hunter, and a dozen others I’m probably missing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rirse posted:

Can we all agree that every Final Fantasy is good, except 11.

11 owns actually

Help Im Alive posted:

This makes FF8 harder, don't do this

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Imagine Kingdom Hearts 3, but it had Final Fantasy characters in it!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'd want something where gals can go do things really. I like 15 but I'm really missing things like X-2.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love everything about FFVIII except for the part where you actually play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Tangent topic Football Tactics and Glory is basically blitzball if blitzball was good.