Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DariusLikewise posted:

The Canadian Tax Payers Federation is full of poo poo on everything they do

Yeah the CTF logical flow goes like this:

Does government exist?
Did it do something?
That thing was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DariusLikewise posted:

The Canadian Tax Payers Federation is full of poo poo on everything they do

Canadian Tax Payers' Federation of Planets now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kafka Esq. posted:

It could have been the dozen propane tanks lying around.

Yeah, it could have been, but I'm reasonably sure removing propane tanks doesn't require the complete dismantling of the camp.

I'm not suggesting a tent city beneath the Gardener is cool and good, but I also don't think razing it and scattering everyone necessarily addressed anything more than "we can see homeless people while we're stuck in traffic".

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
edit: the onus for public safety definitely shouldn't be on the homeless schizophrenic addict living outdoors in winter, I'm surprised they don't burn more poo poo down

Helsing posted:

The people who are busy participating in the physical processes that make society work or providing the secondary and tertiary services that support those activities are obviously part of the problem but I find their tunnel vision focus on their own lives much more understandable. On the other hand the 'knowledge workers' or 'symbolic analysts' or whatever the hot term is this decade for the white collar professional classes who perform the high level work, manage other employees or provide commentary on the system... those people are the ones with the education and social position to actually advocate for systemic change and to recognize the fundamental moral and economic insanity underlying the status quo. The fact they choose, as a group, to instead focus on carving out a little niche for themselves and their own families disgusts me.

I've always liked "technocrats", wish it was more popular.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blood Boils posted:

I've always liked "technocrats", wish it was more popular.

Around here we just call them "Liberals"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*Government gives millions in unnecessary tax cuts to "small business"* [img of dark police car]
*Government spends millions auditing poor people and means testing resulting in finding only 10k worth of enforcement* [img of dark police car]
*Government spends a few thousand on a cute silly thing that probably just came out of some established budget* [img of police car lit up and blurred with rapid motion]

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The CTF would defend slavery if it had been around 150 years ago.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The CTF would defend slavery if it had been around 150 years ago.

-The slave subsidy for small business is an important investment in Canada's economy.
-The amount of money the government spends on food for its ministerial records slaves is a massive waste of money because they could just turn old records into paste and eat that, and confidential records management should be privatized anyways.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

And let's not get started on the CFIB.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wistful of Dollars posted:

And let's not get started on the CFIB.

An awesome sticker to tell you what local businesses to avoid.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

An awesome sticker to tell you what local businesses to avoid.

:yeshaha: glad i'm not the only one who does this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A shop I used to work for took over a store from a business that was a CFIB member and it used to piss me off to see that sticker on the door every day coming in to work.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Why do people think propane tanks are this huge safety hazard lol. In reality they are actually much safer than having big stacks of firewood lying around

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What's up with the CFIB? I dont think I've heard of then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A small business lobbying org, being run by and representing small businesses they naturally advocate only the most regressive labour and taxation policies, with a healthy disdain for any kind of market regulation whatsoever.

The are the direct physical manifestation of gently caress You Got Mine in the government relations space.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Imagine a group of people who think they're so unbelievably great that the only thing that could ever stop them from being titans of industry is government regulation, and indeed take their lack of success as bulletproof evidence that there are too many regulations, and you have the CFIB.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Why do people think propane tanks are this huge safety hazard lol. In reality they are actually much safer than having big stacks of firewood lying around

They use propane heat in poly tents, very bad combination.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I'm getting a second hand impression of both the public and private elder care systems in this province via some of my eldery relatives and the only conclusion I can reach is that death panels are very much a real thing in Canada.

Personal Support Workers do what nurses used to do but are paid near minimum wage (I think they're mandated to be paid $18/hour in Ontario); neoliberalism rules.

On the flip side there's such a demand for them that companies that do home care can barely keep enough employed to handle their clients.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aren't the first of the boomers just about to hit the point where they need the senior services they spent their entire lives voting to undermine and reduce the funding for? Can't wait for all the Sun articles blaming millennials for the lovely care they get.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

homeless people camp out -> cops confiscate their propane -> homeless people use wood campfires to cook their food instead, which is less safe than a gas stove -> a campfire gets out of control because it's a campfire and not a gas stove -> cops respond with more harassment and confiscation of property :a2m:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's great in Nova Scotia because we have both massive doctor shortage and a really old population :cripes: that means the ERs are constantly full of boomers with no family doctor (because there are pretty much no family doctors) and are constantly complaining about how long it takes, but they keep loving voting in McNiel who keeps trying to destroy the health care system god dammit

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The CFIB considers minimum wage laws the 8th deadly sin.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Aren't the first of the boomers just about to hit the point where they need the senior services they spent their entire lives voting to undermine and reduce the funding for? Can't wait for all the Sun articles blaming millennials for the lovely care they get.

if you don't think they're gonna just vote for whoever says they'll shovel funding into palliative and elder care while cutting funding to anyone under the age of 35 well, I got some news for you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Danaru posted:

It's great in Nova Scotia because we have both massive doctor shortage and a really old population :cripes: that means the ERs are constantly full of boomers with no family doctor (because there are pretty much no family doctors) and are constantly complaining about how long it takes, but they keep loving voting in McNiel who keeps trying to destroy the health care system god dammit

I like when this presents itself, usually but not always in rural areas, with a healthy dose of racism. Boy, that sure is the best.

They want doctors, but only white ones, and they also don't want to pay them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Also maybe not the ladies, you know...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Also maybe not the ladies, you know...

Is that actually a thing? I'm pretty sure there's actually a huge demand for female doctors, I assume because women prefer to have another woman as their doctor. Which incidentally I 100% get.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yes, but also cranky old men who haven't seen their own dicks since the Mulrooney administration who honestly aren't so sure about having a woman as a doctor. I mean, they're fine nurses and all, but my health is serious business.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah there is that. Maybe just a symptom of the much younger urban west.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

PT6A posted:

I like when this presents itself, usually but not always in rural areas, with a healthy dose of racism. Boy, that sure is the best.

They want doctors, but only white ones, and they also don't want to pay them.

There are a lot of Cuban doctors here that came to NS on study permits to one of the multiple universities that teach medical poo poo, and I legit cannot comprehend how often old people complain about them. Stay home and die if you can't bear seeing a brown doctor, and give your spot to someone who doesn't suck

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the CTF logical flow goes like this:

Does government exist?
Did it do something?
That thing was bad.

Not seeing the problem here

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreylad posted:

Personal Support Workers do what nurses used to do but are paid near minimum wage (I think they're mandated to be paid $18/hour in Ontario); neoliberalism rules.

On the flip side there's such a demand for them that companies that do home care can barely keep enough employed to handle their clients.

Was 18 an hour a recent thing? I remember advertised wages in the paper just a few years ago for $14. PSWs get paid like poo poo and its a travesty.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zapplez posted:

Was 18 an hour a recent thing? I remember advertised wages in the paper just a few years ago for $14. PSWs get paid like poo poo and its a travesty.

I'm wrong, it was increased to $16.50 by the dastardly Ontario Liberals and I'm sure the Ford government wouldn't cut that in order to save costs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah there is that. Maybe just a symptom of the much younger urban west.

Obviously the sexists and racists don't have serious enough issues. When I need a doctor, I don't give a poo poo about gently caress all besides whether they're competent to practice medicine.

Danaru posted:

Stay home and die if you can't bear seeing a brown doctor, and give your spot to someone who doesn't suck

This, but also for female doctors.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dreylad posted:

if you don't think they're gonna just vote for whoever says they'll shovel funding into palliative and elder care while cutting funding to anyone under the age of 35 well, I got some news for you

Oh I expect that, but I also dont expect the Cons to actually follow through on the funding part.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1105976578566180864
:) :) :) :)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

"Look if we stop polluting environmentalists will be out of jobs! Wont someone think of the jobs? JOBS!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There are absolutely no jobs to be had in renewable energy. Sure the pipeline will inevitably explode and pollute the poo poo out of the environment, but that's the price we pay for JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've thought about this issue a bit and I think the reason they're so wedded to oil industry jobs above renewable energy jobs is the latter typically, I believe, requires that you not be a coked-out high school dropout.

Honestly, it seems like if they spent half the time and effort they put into trying to help the oil industry into anything else we could have a cleaner, diversified economy, and I'm a pretty big oil industry booster by the standards of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

I've thought about this issue a bit and I think the reason they're so wedded to oil industry jobs above renewable energy jobs is the latter typically, I believe, requires that you not be a coked-out high school dropout.

You dont need to retrain them at all, they can be the next premier of Ontario!