Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

question for brits from a silly American
why are these votes called meaningful if they are, like all other diversions on this miserable sphere, merely pathetic scrabbling before the beckoning void claims us

British sense of humour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Hypothetically, if they voted on May's deal approved it, it would be meaningful because it would represent a change in policy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Drunkboxer posted:

lol why does this guy want to destroy his own country so badly

perfidy is in his marrow

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ok, we've heard worst case...now what is best case scenario? Still calling it off? Or are we too far along now?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

yes extend brexit two months so that there can be a fresh new may day

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i dunno if not having a functioning government would be any different to what we currently have.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

hemale in pain posted:

i dunno if not having a functioning government would be any different to what we currently have.

It'd be an improvement

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
No government better than a bad government

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

An insane mind posted:

Ok, we've heard worst case...now what is best case scenario? Still calling it off? Or are we too far along now?

London fucks off into the sky.

As in, the whole city.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Falcorum posted:

As in, the whole city.

Carried by giant bats I hear.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

christ Fallen London would be better than this by a long shot

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Another one bites the dust.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

everything's fine lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They need to extend it until June so we can have "Make June the End of May" again

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

christ Fallen London would be better than this by a long shot

hmm a fallen empire with a ceremonial queen who's actual rulers are a cabal of mercantile vampires. i mean ignore the "literally underground" part and aren't you already there

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes seeing what The Spectator has to say is worth it:

With just a few minutes to go before the division on the government’s motion on no deal, Tory MPs’ phones started buzzing. It was a message from the whips, telling them that the free vote they’d been promised since last night was now subject to a three line whip: the strongest possible instruction on how to vote. But there was no further explanation. A message from Chris Pincher, the deputy chief whip, read:

‘We are voting no to the amended motion. This is a 3 line whip.’

It was sent at 7.31pm. Some Conservatives didn’t get this message until they were walking through the lobbies, still believing that, as Theresa May had promised last night, they could make their own decision on how to vote. They found themselves being accosted by the whips, who desperately tried to persuade them to turn around and walk through the correct lobby.

Chief whip Julian Smith blocked the path of some ministers, and attempted to redirect them. He had also managed to speak to some of the Cabinet ministers who then rebelled to clarify that the plans had changed to a three-line whip against the motion. Pincher was spotted deep in conversation with Steve Brine, a junior health minister, who then changed his direction and voted with the government and against the motion. Other bouts of arm-twisting were less successful: the government lost the vote on its own motion 321 votes to 278.

Why the panic? The Spelman amendment, which passed by just four votes, has no real legal force, though of course its supporters will argue that it has the moral force as the voice of the Commons to force the government to take the necessary legislative steps. Many MPs reported total confusion as they walked into the lobbies because no one had really considered what to do if the Spelman amendment passed. One MP said: ‘It was agony.’ Another described the atmosphere as ‘poisonous’.

This is partly because Caroline Spelman herself didn’t move the vote, and it was instead pressed by Yvette Cooper, who argued that the ministerial assurances offered were insufficient. So the whips had just minutes between this surprise, close result and the main motion to work out what they should do. It seems that the decision was taken in a discussion between May, David Lidington, the Prime Minister’s PPS Andrew Bowie and Julian Smith in her office in the minutes after the Spelman result. But the whips then appear to have found themselves at odds with May’s own chief of staff Gavin Barwell, who is alleged to have told some ministers that if they abstained, they wouldn’t face the sack.

Now MPs are bombarding their whips with their own messages, demanding that the ministers who broke the three-line instruction and abstained be sacked. They are arguing that if those ministers, who include Cabinet members David Gauke, Amber Rudd and David Mundell, are not sacked, then the government will have no way to persuade any colleagues to come into line for future votes. Not that the whips have had much leverage on this front for a while, anyway.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i understand why brits are forbidden by law to use parliamentary footage in comedy shows, because you could just run that poo poo as-is with no amendment or addition except a canned laughter track and it could pass as a fawlty towers-esque bbc comedy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ika posted:

I'm trying to figure out the worst case scenario...

The Queen dies trying to save her idiot subjects from themselves one last time and Rees-Mogg somehow ascends to the throne.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Bercow must be practicing zingers and blithe insults on people all the time, trying out new material, workshopping witty retorts

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
So I’m trying to catch up but has there been any good argument against just having another referendum to cancel out the first one other than “but the people voted for it so lay in your bed!!!!” which doesn’t really make much sense to me as a retort but my coworker from Manchester brings up brexit all day every day and every time I suggest doing this he gets really mad and says “but democracy!!!!” it’s funny

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ayn Randi posted:

hmm a fallen empire with a ceremonial queen who's actual rulers are a cabal of mercantile vampires. i mean ignore the "literally underground" part and aren't you already there

not sure if we're talking about the same ip, but what clan would vampire tezza be? The obvious answer would be malkavian, but her tendency to wear ghastly outfits also makes me think of nosferatu

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Teik posted:

So I’m trying to catch up but has there been any good argument against just having another referendum to cancel out the first one other than “but the people voted for it so lay in your bed!!!!” which doesn’t really make much sense to me as a retort but my coworker from Manchester brings up brexit all day every day and every time I suggest doing this he gets really mad and says “but democracy!!!!” it’s funny

The best argument is that it probably will turn out the same way as the last one

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've got just the thing to resolve the problem of that referendum we called with zero plan for one of the outcomes: we have another referendum with zero plan for one of the outcomes.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Did she discover the gravity of the situation? :dadjoke:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Well, look: no-one knew that Leave would win the second referendum, so quite reasonably people hadn't started planning for it. But I'm sure with a 6 month extension we could get the parliament to agree to a plan. If public opinion changes in the meantime, a third referendum might be required to make sure it's what the public wants.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1105962429282951170

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Queen dies trying to save her idiot subjects from themselves one last time and Rees-Mogg somehow ascends to the throne.

I thought Rowan Atkinson was next in line.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

twoday posted:

The House of Commons is desperately pumping the brakes and realising the brake line is cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRytTfWL8Q&t=24s

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Rees-Mogg is a Catholic, and it is illegal for the monarch or their heir to be Catholic

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obliterati posted:

Rees-Mogg is a Catholic, and it is illegal for the monarch or their heir to be Catholic

Yeah the British aristocracy don't want the Catholics encroaching on their noncing club

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1105927514952749058

Wonder how those pork markets will look after brexit.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

perfidy is in his marrow

You guys are 100% sure he's not some insane scion of Napoleon trying to avenge L'Empereur by sowing chaos in the UK, right?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Falcorum posted:

As in, the whole city.

...But remains part in the EU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1105927514952749058

Wonder how those pork markets will look after brexit.

I really really like the lovely open air portacabin that LBC have constructed that you can see getting its rear end kicked by the wind

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

So what happened yesterday after ammendment A? Or is the rest of the vote today?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

not sure if we're talking about the same ip, but what clan would vampire tezza be? The obvious answer would be malkavian, but her tendency to wear ghastly outfits also makes me think of nosferatu

a different ip, but she is definitely ventrue

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

An insane mind posted:

So what happened yesterday after ammendment A? Or is the rest of the vote today?

May told everyone to vote against the amendment she had supported but it passed anyway. So parliament has now said they don't want no deal under any circumstances. Except that it doesn't practically do anything because we're still leaving on the 29th if they don't manage to agree on a deal or extend/revoke A50. As someone from the EU put it "this is like the Titanic voting to move the iceberg".

Today's vote is for an extension to A50.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1106080919528636416

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1105912330259492865

Wait it's a two month extension? What a spectacularly worthless extension, we'll just be right back where we are in May

"oh poo poo i didnt start my essay and its due tomorrow, sir can i please please have one more week ahrmfdfdff" but for a country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ITENERARY:

vote on may's brexit deal
lunch