Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BOGO offers do me no good with a single line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

explosivo posted:

I'm using the Google Now launcher already because the Samsung poo poo was just too busy imo.

How do I swap from the Samsung launcher to the Google Now launcher? The version on the play store says 'Your device isn't compatible with this version'.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Atoramos posted:

How do I swap from the Samsung launcher to the Google Now launcher? The version on the play store says 'Your device isn't compatible with this version'.

Google Now Launcher is deprecated/dead. You'll have to use a different launcher instead.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

isndl posted:

Google Now Launcher is deprecated/dead. You'll have to use a different launcher instead.

I thought so, but explosivo seems to indicate he's using it with the S10+. Curious for recommended similar launchers to replace the Samsung one, coming from the Pixel. Another big issue for me is that the phone makes a noise for a notification, but the screen doesn't light up or let me view that notification without touching the device. Can't seem to find an option to just light up the lock screen and show the notification when I get one. Hoping a new launcher might address this and the forced Bixby-left-swipe I have otherwise.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 13, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Atoramos posted:

Another big issue for me is that the phone makes a noise for a notification, but the screen doesn't light up or let me view that notification without touching the device. Can't seem to find an option to just light up the lock screen and show the notification when I get one. Hoping a new launcher might address this and the forced Bixby-left-swipe I have otherwise.

Losing the notification LED sucks pretty hard. Especially after a decade of having phones that use one. It seems like a pretty common complaint so I'd like to think someone is working on a solution using the screen, either first party or third party.
I'd switch to edge notifications gladly but they only flash once which is sort of useless. I sort of get why my iphone friends are slower on the replies though, without a way to look across the room and know you have a text or email I feel less on top of it. Considering I book work based on that it's making me a little more anxious then it should.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Android Q Beta ahoy
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/03/introducing-android-q-beta.html

1304MB on Pixel 3.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2019

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

I don't understand half of that, but holy poo poo the promise of snappy, instantly loading share menus is my dream.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Awesome, time to download then rate all the apps 1 star that break!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So my Pixel 1 finally bricked itself after 12+ months of a failing battery. Bought a Pixel 3 through Google Fi. Planning on selling it as soon as the Pixel 3 Lite comes out. This thing feels fragile as gently caress, like my wife's lady-iPhone.

What is the best case for this thing to help preserve it's street value? I bought the diztronic TPU case for Nexus 4 and 5 but looks like they went out of business. It looks like the Pixel 3 Lite will be announced around April 11 at the next big Google marketing event.

Also what's the deal with decal girl and a couple of other well known skin makers, they carry Pixel 1 and 2, but not 3.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LMAO the notch even gets captured in Android Q screenshots

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's the first beta/preview. Who cares.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Atoramos posted:

I thought so, but explosivo seems to indicate he's using it with the S10+. Curious for recommended similar launchers to replace the Samsung one, coming from the Pixel. Another big issue for me is that the phone makes a noise for a notification, but the screen doesn't light up or let me view that notification without touching the device. Can't seem to find an option to just light up the lock screen and show the notification when I get one. Hoping a new launcher might address this and the forced Bixby-left-swipe I have otherwise.

If you disable edge lighting you should get regular notifications that light up the screen, many apps have turning on the screen off by default or disabled entirely though.

The left most Bixby screen can be disabled in the launcher: pinch or press and hold an empty space on your home screen, navigate to the Bixby screen and you'll see a toggle.

This is all assuming the S10 hasn't radically changed the launcher from the one on the Note 8.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, after a week with my Pixel 3, I've got to say that the pill navigation is night-and-day better than on my OG Pixel. I haven't yet had a quick swipe go back to the wrong app. It's so much nicer to have a reliable quick switch again!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Well, after a week with my Pixel 3, I've got to say that the pill navigation is night-and-day better than on my OG Pixel. I haven't yet had a quick swipe go back to the wrong app. It's so much nicer to have a reliable quick switch again!

Yeah, I can't really say what's changed, but I like it better than on my Pixel 2XL. The"go back to last app" swipe seems much easier and consistent to do, but that's all I've noticed specifically.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I guess it's finally my turn to be that guy :(

Had a Spigen case on it, but it slid out of my shorts pocket while sitting and fell about two feet onto uneven concrete.

I blame Australia for their ridiculously small pocket sizes. And Samsung for loving curved screens.

$324 to $400 AUD to repair, yay

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Doesn't look that bad, tbh. I'd roll with it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's about as unobtrusive as a crack can get I guess, but painful that it didn't even last a week.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Y'all need some shorts made of grip tape.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I blame Australia for their ridiculously small pocket sizes.

Should have kept it in your pouch mate.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

If you have tmobile you are better to wait for a BOGO costco offer.

???
Please explain I have both

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pixel 4 XL render based an a leak/rumor:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Mmmm notches

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

Mmmm notches

That's clearly a hole.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any gesture and app switcher improvements in Q? The latter is in an especially poor state at the moment imo.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any gesture and app switcher improvements in Q? The latter is in an especially poor state at the moment imo.

Nothing yet, in fact this first Beta has very little changes from Pie at this stage. The gestures pretty much work the same, which in my experience is poorly. The ADB hacks I used on Pie to restore the 3 button navigation from earlier Android versions doesn't work anymore; the buttons appear as normal but the task switcher doesn't do anything.

Dark theme isn't even available as an option unless you had it forced on in the Pie developer settings.

Performance is a little worse than Pie with the March 2019 update, which improved the storage performance on the Pixel 3s.

RAM management is worse than Pie, with Awful getting kicked out after switching to the Phone app, Textra, Brave then back again within 5 seconds - I didn't do anything in any of the apps that would account for the phone kicking Awful from RAM.

Hopefully most of the issues get ironed out as the Beta program progresses but for anyone wanting to try the new hotness, I'd skip this Beta.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The ADB hacks I used on Pie to restore the 3 button navigation from earlier Android versions doesn't work anymore; the buttons appear as normal but the task switcher doesn't do anything.

Recent Pixel 3 owner, I saw the ADB 3 button nav hacks, how was your experience getting this to work? I am mostly liking the P3 but the app switcher is loving horrific. If the ADB nav hack is less than 4 hours to "fix" the phone then it's worth it....

loving UX designers

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Incessant Excess posted:

I can't imagine Samsung giving them this tech the same year they used it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Incessant Excess posted:

Ugh, in-display fingerprint sensors are the worst tech.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Recent Pixel 3 owner, I saw the ADB 3 button nav hacks, how was your experience getting this to work? I am mostly liking the P3 but the app switcher is loving horrific. If the ADB nav hack is less than 4 hours to "fix" the phone then it's worth it....

loving UX designers

It's a piece of cake.

https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-android-pie-gestures-google-pixel-3/

Follow the those instructions (requires download of part of the Android SDK) and you're in heaven. Double tapping the app button to switch between the two most recent apps is delicious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Healbot posted:

Ugh, in-display fingerprint sensors are the worst tech.
I like it. Seems a lot can be fixed in firmware, and there seems to be that recognition training bullshit with continued use. It got more reliable over time on my S10.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Fingerprint sensor belongs on the back because that's where my fingers are dammit

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Incessant Excess posted:

So it's a Galaxy S10?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Fingerprint sensor belongs on the back because that's where my fingers are dammit

I've decided that the perfect place for the fingerprint sensor is the spacebar

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I've decided that the perfect place for the fingerprint sensor is the spacebar

I take back everything I've said, gently caress blackberry.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

zer0spunk posted:

3 years after they introduced it, I finally got my first RCS message.

I don't know what magical snowflake combination of carrier and hardware the other person had to trigger it but it was kind of nice seeing the 3 dots and read receipts.

Stock Android Messages app? I unironically used Allo until they pulled the plug two days ago - my friends were all bummed because we thought we had til the 31st.

We went back to a regular text group chat but have yet to have any RCS features enabled in our messages. Trying to send gifs or anything fancy that it suggests just embeds it as an MMS message, which sucks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

The Merkinman posted:

So it's a Galaxy S10?
Yeah, but with slightly more sensible side-bezels (well, if you ignore the S10e anyway).

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Stock Android Messages app? I unironically used Allo until they pulled the plug two days ago - my friends were all bummed because we thought we had til the 31st.

We went back to a regular text group chat but have yet to have any RCS features enabled in our messages. Trying to send gifs or anything fancy that it suggests just embeds it as an MMS message, which sucks.

It's totally carrier dependent. The only person I can use RCS with at this point is my wife, cause we're both on Fi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For the Pixel 4, I want a clone of the S10e hardware with two material swaps (matte stainless steel for shiny aluminum and ceramic back for the glass.)

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

RichterIX posted:

you're holding it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I find my phone's IMEI before setting it up? I'm preparing to sell my OG Pixel and I've already factory reset it.