Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's just cruel how whoever made that coloured a few countries in its own flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Scotland voted for independence and was kicked to Bulgaria. Wales was allowed to stay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm most curious about how Greece ended up in Belarus. Japan in Austria is a close second, though.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I agree with this map, lets mix it up a bit, move some people around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Levant being run by South African anti-apartheid activists can only be a good thing.

Not a fan of England taking Scotland and deporting everyone to Bulgaria though, no matter how much a bunch of Home Counties Tories would love that poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Belgium does very well out of the new deal. Also is that Jamaica to the right of Italy?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm most interested in New Orleans acquiring an indeterminate amount of Asian Russia.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Technically we're not at war. Only undertaking a "Police Action". Post WWII America reserves going to war for abstract concepts.

I sometimes see people mention this as if it's an American specific thing, but this is global. The UN helpfully made war illegal in like 1946, so almost no one has declared a war since then. USSR invasion of Afghanistan? Not a war. Libyan invasion of Chad? Also not a war. Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia? Also not a war. North Korean invasion of South Korea? Also not a war. etc.

Everything now is "peacekeeping" or whatever bullshit. E: I can't find out what the USSR called their invasion of Afghanistan but if they had declared war I'm pretty sure it would be on that Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 13, 2019

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grape posted:

The one in Cyprus I've had to go to was like this but I just assumed it was some "well we're on the edges of the Middle East, so some crazies could sneak over here from Syria, Iraq or somewheres and do a boom boom easily" and I didn't think much of it.

But lolllll if we have poo poo like that in places like Austria and that's just our standard everywhere. Literally embarrassed irl right now.

The US consulate in Zurich is pretty low key and only nominally secured. The "security detail" is a single 62-year old man who casually scans your bag and makes you walk through a metal detector. Within the last year or two you can no longer take bags inside the main waiting area, so you leave them at the security room, but it's about a 10-foot-by-10-foot square room that leads directly into the consular place through a standard internal apartment door. The door from the staircase into the consulate itself is reasonably high security, but the main door into the building itself is just a regular glass paneled thing.

I've been a few Swiss consulates/embassies abroad too and they're exactly the same as the US consulate in Zurich, i.e. some nominal screening process by one lone guy, plus a heavy-duty interior door and the consul talks to you from behind a glass panel. People posting about the US government posts abroad being hyper secured have probably only been to major embassies in huge countries like Paris and London that genuinely have to worry about attacks.

Embassies are a little different than consulates of course, and every US embassy I've been to or seen has been pretty secured. The main US embassy in Bern is secured by Swiss standards, but it's still pretty low security and would not stand out at all in DC. Of course none of the other embassies in Switzerland have any sort of security fencing at all and most of them are just residential houses with standard home gates. That said I've been to a couple US ambassador's homes in low-risk foreign countries (e.g. Cameroon) and they've just been totally normal homes with a single guard posted outside, probably more to keep out petty criminals than anything else.

Please don't forward this post to ISIS forums, thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sir, this is the ISIS forum.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
But doctor, I am the ISIS forum.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1105828351187521538

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Keep loving that chicken!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/KidsAreFuckingStupid/comments/b07n3p/so_i_went_into_my_sisters_bedroom_and_saw_this_on/

The source I think?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Speaking of prussia.jpg maps from a few weeks ago, saw this yesterday:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm the world's longest tunnel/bridge through the Baltic.

(there was a train ferry Finland and Germany but AFAIK that was 10+ years ago)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Central europe fuckin' loves trains.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

As an American I'm jealous as gently caress of trains-havers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillerQueen posted:

You mean as a resident of the forbidden zone. Real America has trains :smugdog:.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Another important detail about US embassy security is that exterior security (everything outside the walls) is the responsibility of the host country. So the dudes grabbing your cameras and smashing them or whatever, that's your own government, Euros. Sorry.

Security within the walls is US-organized but almost always a local guard force (meaning host country people) led by a Diplomatic Security Service Regional Security Officer, who may have a few Assistant Regional Security Officers and Marine Security Guards depending on the size of the post.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I saw it on the civ reddit. All good clean fun.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Speaking of prussia.jpg maps from a few weeks ago, saw this yesterday:

That map is also missing a ton of railway lines? Switzerland has a lot more rail than they show there. Like in Graubunden and Valais there's a train running up or down a few of the valleys, there's not just those central lines that run along the Rhone and Rhine. Like, they don't even show the rail line running along the Inn or any of those connections in Graunbunden outside of the Rhine valley.

Here's a map of Switzerland's train lines. The thin pink lines are also regular railway lines.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 13, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Train chat

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even on finicky high speed rail I can't imagine the 4mm difference between current old russian standards being meaningful enough to note. That's like margin-of-error difference.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Saladman posted:

That map is also missing a ton of railway lines? Switzerland has a lot more rail than they show there. Like in Graubunden and Valais there's a train running up or down a few of the valleys, there's not just those central lines that run along the Rhone and Rhine. Like, they don't even show the rail line running along the Inn or any of those connections in Graunbunden outside of the Rhine valley.

Here's a map of Switzerland's train lines. The thin pink lines are also regular railway lines.

I didn't make the map, but it looks like he was only counting non-freight standard guage, not narrow guage limited use lines like Switzerland has.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saladman posted:

That map is also missing a ton of railway lines? Switzerland has a lot more rail than they show there.

Corsica actually has railways and trains, too.

Interestingly, given the gauge map just posted, the rail lines in Corsica are metric, not standard.

Speaking of that gauge map, it's one more for the French Guiana folder.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Even on finicky high speed rail I can't imagine the 4mm difference between current old russian standards being meaningful enough to note. That's like margin-of-error difference.

Sure, when everything's freshly built/replaced with perfect alignment it's no issue. But given various combinations of actual vehicles, intended margin of error on the vehicle itself, slight drifts that are still in safety compliance for one standard and not the other? You can certainly end up that 4 mm difference leading to a serious issue. This mostly ends up meaning there's a small amount of Finnish rail wagons that can't be reliably used for direct shipping deep into Russia due to being likely to get stuck, especially in icy/muddy conditions. Essentially, it's easier for wider Finnish equipment to get jammed between the closer Russian tracks, then for narrower Russian equipment to "fall off" one of the sides.

They also handle the direct high speed route between Finland and Russia by maintaining the track geometry to much tighter standards that are nominally right in the middle between the two gauges and stricter standards for the wheels et al.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KillerQueen posted:

?

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
code:
	us	eu
rail km	293564	230548
sqkm	9833517	4479968

rail/sqkm	0,03	0,05

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My hometown is one of the big interior intersections on that map, but unless you’re a hobo or a grafitti expert there’s no way to catch a ride. Perhaps passenger rail and freight rail are different.

Or: coastalelitesareactuallyalittlereal.jpg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's the grey? State owned? Also, is Amtrack even visible

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
gray is none of the above

edit: pretty sure amtrak is just the northeast corridor between washington dc and boston it just sits right on a blue line as well so it's hard to see

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Amtrak owns dedicated track basically only in the Northeast Corridor, the Boston-DC megalopolis area, because if Amtrak didn't have dedicated tracks in that area and was forced to play second fiddle to freight like it does on all the other tracks in the country, the Northeast would not function. The daily commute would collapse and with it a very large portion of the country's economy and society.

The grey is other, smaller railroad companies--Amtrak IS the federal railroad company so I don't think the government actually owns any major portion of track in the country directly. The problem with trains in the modern US you can probably tell on sight--Amtrak is the only one of those railway companies that specializes in passenger transit. All the rest are 95% or higher railway freight companies.

This loving blows, it massively contributed to the rise of the car and the current hellish state of US city and infrastructure planning, and the railroads should be loving nationalized, because if they aren't we're never going to get anything done with them.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Looking at the lines in Connecticut, I know a bunch of them are state-owned rails that get used by freight and passenger railroads like Metro North or the Housatonic.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Redeye Flight posted:

Amtrak owns dedicated track basically only in the Northeast Corridor, the Boston-DC megalopolis area, because if Amtrak didn't have dedicated tracks in that area and was forced to play second fiddle to freight like it does on all the other tracks in the country, the Northeast would not function. The daily commute would collapse and with it a very large portion of the country's economy and society.

The grey is other, smaller railroad companies--Amtrak IS the federal railroad company so I don't think the government actually owns any major portion of track in the country directly. The problem with trains in the modern US you can probably tell on sight--Amtrak is the only one of those railway companies that specializes in passenger transit. All the rest are 95% or higher railway freight companies.

This loving blows, it massively contributed to the rise of the car and the current hellish state of US city and infrastructure planning, and the railroads should be loving nationalized, because if they aren't we're never going to get anything done with them.

Lol nah that's garbage dude. Intercity rail (which is what Amtrak does) has very little to do with how cities and their intermediate suburbs develop. Also you seem to be forgetting that the northeast corridor spent its first ~120 to ~40 years (depending on segment as it's constructed from a patchwork of different lines primarily owned by the Pennslyvania Railroad and its New England associates) under private operation, and in fact still carries a decent amount of freight. (Especially outside of the core Philadelphia-NYC segment, where most freight runs on the parallel ex-Reading/ex-Jersey Central mainline that used to have passenger service but largely doesn't anymore)

And yeah private passenger rail almost entirely doesn't exist anymore but that's fine. All the local systems that still existed by roughly the 60s-80s period of public takeover are now operated by local/regional/state transit agencies without having to be tied to bullshit profit goals the way they were before, and with the ability to make use of unified systems of lines from usually multiple original companies that used to run against each other and prevent easy transfers. It doesn't matter that you can't get from Columbus, Ohio to Dubuque, Iowa by rail anymore as far as development goes, etc etc. Even in the heyday of passenger rail in the country such trips would involve lengthy, complicated, and expensive arrangements of transfers and minimal schedules.

American rail has always been heavily freight focused, this is basically good because it keeps a shitload of heavy trucks off the roads and is also much more pollution/emissions/fuel efficient.

catfry posted:

code:
	us	eu
rail km	293564	230548
sqkm	9833517	4479968

rail/sqkm	0,03	0,05

code:
		us	eu
rail km		293564	230548
population	326 mil	508 mil

railK/million	900.5	453.8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It is, however, quite bad if you are a poor person in, say, anywhere that isn’t between Boston, DC, and Chicago or between LA and Seattle, and want to go, let’s imagine, to anywhere in the entire country.

And stretching that northeast triangle to Chicago and not Philadelphia is extremely generous.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 14, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is, however, quite bad if you are a poor person in, say, anywhere that isn’t between Boston, DC, and Chicago or between LA and Seattle, and want to go, let’s imagine, to anywhere in the entire country.

That's what cars, planes, and buses are for. I gather you may not have ridden a train long distance recently, if ever, but it's not cheap, and when passenger service was private and more widespread it was even more expensive despite the price control system the government had implemented on private railroads.

People who think it'd be cheap to travel a couple hundred miles, let alone a few thousand, by rail if there were just more passenger rail service are out of their gourds.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.greyhound.com/

tho cheap, cheap airlines are competitive with buses (and amtrak!)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

fishmech posted:

That's what cars, planes, and buses are for. I gather you may not have ridden a train long distance recently, if ever, but it's not cheap, and when passenger service was private and more widespread it was even more expensive despite the price control system the government had implemented on private railroads.

People who think it'd be cheap to travel a couple hundred miles, let alone a few thousand, by rail if there were just more passenger rail service are out of their gourds.

Genuine question, is there an actual reason train travel should be so expensive? It has to cost more in actual gas and maintenance and so on for a bus, surely? Or is there some massive hidden cost to train travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
trains also require gas and maintenance. the question is how much it costs per passenger to divide up those costs over the length of the trip

in the united states, the massive hidden cost is distance and time. from seattle to new york is slightly more distance than between lisbon and moscow. how many people are taking trains across the entirety of europe like that? most people, in both europe and the united states, are going a much shorter distance, and the ubiquity of car ownership (even among poor people) in the united states means that it's often just easier to drive any trip between 2-8 hours