Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my kinda ape posted:

Ordered a $20 Viggen t-shirt but they all got caught up in customs for a few months so they gave everyone who bought one a free copy of F-14. I think one or two other people here had it happen too.

Ya, same here. I still can’t believe they gave out free copies of F-14 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, it doesn't really cost them anything and it's insanely good goodwill.

I know the F-14 isn't even out yet and they have hinted at an A-6 and whatnot but goddamnit I really want a Draken. It's a real simple plane compared to everything else they've done and they already know Swedish soooooooo

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, it doesn't really cost them anything and it's insanely good goodwill.

I know the F-14 isn't even out yet and they have hinted at an A-6 and whatnot but goddamnit I really want a Draken. It's a real simple plane compared to everything else they've done and they already know Swedish soooooooo

I took the viggen for a spin last night. I want a Draken too, they remade the AI model and released it with the Viggen.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
ED studios has received a Pimax 5K to test out.

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/eagle-dynamics-dcs-have-received-a-pimax-5k/16945

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
It's live! Downloading now

ed: Took the cat out for a quick spin, and wow -- was this ever worth the wait!

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 13, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Logged into my home PC from work via VPN just to download it. It's happening!!!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Is the early access phase on steam or just standalone?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Both.

I and Lumme did our first trap, he was reading speed aloud since I was not able to find the gauge in pilot cockpit.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I'm at worrrrrrk. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Saul Kain posted:

I'm at worrrrrrk. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:same: :qq:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lumme flying as pilot, his head turns in cockpit and he can look at me, and our heads rotate and lean in cockpit. Highly immersive.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I didn't crash and burn on my first landing, so that's a plus, but gently caress I have no idea what I am doing in this thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As RIO, you can reach around the pilot and flip switches in his pit.

JUST SAYING.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

gently caress I have no idea what I am doing in this thing.

Thread title

MrYenko posted:

As RIO, you can reach around the pilot and flip switches in his pit.

JUST SAYING.

Well poo poo. Now I really want the tomcat.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Well calling it a night after ~3 hours with the tomcat. Wow, what a beast. Definitely a pilot's airplane with all the steam gauges and lack of all the modern amenities. My kind of bird. :)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Key takeaways after a day of RIOing and a little flying:

-the datalink page kills DCS, heatblur's working on a hotfix right now
-sync is pretty good overall and it's incredibly cool to see the other guy move around and hear him do poo poo
-there's a few clipping bugs but nothing major
-loading time is the mind killer, hb's gotta stop releasing with gigantic textures
-i need to bind azimuth and elevation controls, as well as VSL HI and LO
-stored heading is perfect for goon starts because it takes 2 minutes to align, within the typical goon's attention span
-joshing aside i have total confidence in jae's abilities as a tomcat pilot and it's fun as poo poo being his GIB

alr
May 14, 2009
Sync between the pilot/RIO was my biggest worry, glad to see it's good. How does it feel to fly? My favourite modules to dick around in are the Huey/F5/Viggen, but I don't really like the Harrier much and I hate how the Gazelle feels. Don't really care about actual performance, just as long as it gives a weighty feeling and has good sound design I'll be happy

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

alr posted:

Sync between the pilot/RIO was my biggest worry, glad to see it's good. How does it feel to fly? My favourite modules to dick around in are the Huey/F5/Viggen, but I don't really like the Harrier much and I hate how the Gazelle feels. Don't really care about actual performance, just as long as it gives a weighty feeling and has good sound design I'll be happy

It is the best yet, the great flight model (as it feels right now) with all the dynamic effects going on while flying (wing flex, buffeting, all the rattling) it definitely will satisfy your need here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And also yeah thanks for all nerds who were playing afternoon european time. After I and Lumme did our traps, I had to step out for a bit (to watch Top Gun with my wife lol) and when I came back I hit spectate and Lumme is in a goddamn flat spin, with others on discord yelling about ejecting.

Overall I did not have a lot of time to dive into the systems, but my four day time off starts in couple hours so then we go.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Until I get my setup up and running I wouldn't mind learning to GiB it up.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

Key takeaways after a day of RIOing and a little flying:

-joshing aside i have total confidence in jae's abilities as a tomcat pilot and it's fun as poo poo being his GIB

But did he get a reach around?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The artist for all the music and menu themes for the Kitty is on Spotify as ''Meteor''. Worth it, the songs are good flying songs and very nice faux-80s synth rock.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Huey menu theme supremacy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This just gets more entertaining as it goes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQkHHyfxGHo

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Vahakyla posted:

The artist for all the music and menu themes for the Kitty is on Spotify as ''Meteor''. Worth it, the songs are good flying songs and very nice faux-80s synth rock.

They're a fully fledged band. I have no idea what resulted in them hitching to Heatblur, but it is the loving best.

https://meteormusic.bandcamp.com/

Also, if you got the Steam version pre-order, the DotF OST is under- steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F14\Soundtrack

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Pro Tip: The most important control to map as RIO is Walkman Play. I recommend pressing it whenever your pilot gets into a dog fight.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Elenkis posted:

Pro Tip: The most important control to map as RIO is Walkman Play. I recommend pressing it whenever your pilot gets into a dog fight.

A pro Rio queues up yakkity sax for the case 1pattern.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Question: when there's a human RIO, does the pilot still have the ability to use Jester if the human doesn't have the skill/knowledge to manually set what's needed in time?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Pilot has a rio eject handle.

Well, he should, anyway.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Elenkis posted:

I wish there was a separate volume bar for the walkman it's too loud for me when playing with a human RIO

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

PenisMonkey posted:

Pilot has a rio eject handle.

Well, he should, anyway.

RIO eject procedure: disarm your seat, punch out

It'll send the dipshit in back up and out, then you can rearm your seat and get on with life (as long as you didn't need anything done in the back seat, anyway)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Played around in the F-14 a bit last night with a friend. He's Maverick, I'm Goose.

Overall, it's a loving blast.

The most game-breakingly infuriating bug is the stupid loving carrier deck synchronization that they still haven't fixed (all the carrier jets have always done it). If the carrier is moving, the plane will jitter back and forth a foot or so as the plane and the carrier catch up with each other's position. If you're the pilot, you just slide back and forth with the plane and aside from looking weird it's fine. If you're the RIO, though, your viewpoint waggles back and forth constantly as your head shakes, and your cursor moves with it. It makes it nearly impossible to click switches in the back seat -- literally it's like sitting through an earthquake. I had to close my eyes or look up at the sky while waiting for the pilot to complete his checklist.

It seems to only happen once the chocks are removed and/or the parking brake is off, so for now I would recommend to all pilots that you just leave those in place until right before the taxi for the sake of your RIO's stomach. Once you're in the air it's fine too.

Launches are a little different from the F/A-18 because you have to manually command the shot (LShift-U) as well as the hookup (U). There is no separate launch bar control -- you use the kneel switch to drop the nose gear and it comes down automatically. That took a while to figure out.

I can't seem to get the datalink switch to stay on and pull INS config from the carrier. Is there something specific that needs to be set up in the mission editor?

The radar set is super loving complicated and I can absolutely see why they split the workload -- especially because the plane itself is a real airplane, not a FBW video game like an F-16. The pilot has their hands full just flying the plane. I have barely any idea what I'm doing but it looks fun. I can't wait until I get good enough to vector us to a flight of bombers in socked-in IFR with no map aids.

Top Gun didn't give Goose enough credit. The RIO is doing just as much work in the interception as the pilot.

Can't wait for the texture pack to come out so that I can paint our names on the canopy frame.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sorry to break the f14 feast, but I'm getting an itch for an attack helicopter. Is ka50 still worth it, is there anything better?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In addition to being able to reach over the pilots shoulders and click stuff in the front, here’s a few spots in the RIO seat where you can accidentally click through the panel and click stuff on the front panel.

Ive accidentally shut off the bleed air from the back, as well as an engine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Unimpressed posted:

Sorry to break the f14 feast, but I'm getting an itch for an attack helicopter. Is ka50 still worth it, is there anything better?

Ka-50 is always a blast. Just make sure to download an updated high-res cockpit livery and it's ready to laser the countryside.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks! Looking forward to it, hopefully this weekend.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Tippis posted:

Ka-50 is always a blast. Just make sure to download an updated high-res cockpit livery and it's ready to laser the countryside.

Also, put the shkval on a second monitor if possible, it makes it way easier to spot things.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And learn the trim gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

And learn the trim gimmick.

What's the trim gimmick?