Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was sloppy, but turned out ok. My pot didn't get a good seal for the veggies for some reason, so they got a bit too mushy, especially the cabbage.

Corned beef was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Looks fantastic, it's got that amazing corned color. What's inside the meat?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

twoday posted:

corn

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
looks like generous dabs of mustard rather than a filling

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

You mean in the middle? Little dollop of stone ground mustard.

e: There is also no loving way that whoever wrote that recipe fit a full head of cabage in 8ths 1 lb of potatoes and 1 lb carrots in a instapot.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
maybe if you salt and drain the cabbage and have sick upper body strength

twoday
May 4, 2005

Plinkey posted:

You mean in the middle? Little dollop of stone ground mustard.

e: There is also no loving way that whoever wrote that recipe fit a full head of cabage in 8ths 1 lb of potatoes and 1 lb carrots in a instapot.

These things are all variable in size (including the pot) but it sounds pretty difficult

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

These things are all variable in size (including the pot) but it sounds pretty difficult

Yeah, I'm guessing that since it's so close to St. Pattys that the grocery store I got it from are stocking up on huge cabages, it was only 47c a pound so whatever.

Basically a buck and a quater each for some big fuckers.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that'll be 3.50 sir

twoday
May 4, 2005

Looking up pictures of giant vegetables is never not funny, just GIS "largest (vegetable)" and one of the results is always funny

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

twoday posted:

Looking up pictures of giant vegetables is never not funny, just GIS "largest (vegetable)" and one of the results is always funny

first result

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also making some beef jerky tomorrow night, but didnt really take any pictures since it's basically 'cut meat, marinade in soy sauce then add spice and dehydrate for like a day'

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that since it's so close to St. Pattys that the grocery store I got it from are stocking up on huge cabages, it was only 47c a pound so whatever.

Basically a buck and a quater each for some big fuckers.

Is that a beer tap? In your house? Does it work?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Is that a beer tap? In your house? Does it work?

Yeah, it was cheaper than a cabinet :v:

It's also empty right now and needs cleaned, but yes it works and takes a full half keg.

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Mar 14, 2019

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
:five:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Popcorn machine!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gonna make blizzard soup tomorrow using bits from the kitchen 2 celebrate my work being shut down 2 days in a row

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Popcorn machine!

Yeah, I go to The Restaurant Store all the time and I went to pick up some new basically disposable pairings knives (3 for like 2 bucks) and the little cute pop-corn guy was on sale. So I just had to. I loving love pop corn.

Once I declutter this place a bit I might actually have people over for popcorn and beer.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Gotta share the fun of your corn-popping, beer-tapping lifestyle, which frankly I am a little envious of

I think I'm going to try to have a little supper club and cook for friends on a semi-regular basis

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have enough counter space though, which is the only downside to when I planned out this kitchen like 7 years ago, so I have to swap out appliance from the basement on a regular basis, and it's a small kichen, but fine for a single guy.

e: well I also assume that most people don't swap out a crock pot, instapot, sousvide, indoor grill, butante flat top and dehydrator on the reg.

popcorn machine and convection mini-oven are stationary.

maybe I have a problem

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Mar 14, 2019

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

I don't have enough counter space though, which is the only downside to when I planned out this kitchen like 7 years ago, so I have to swap out appliance from the basement on a regular basis, and it's a small kichen, but fine for a single guy.

e: well I also assume that most people don't swap out a crock pot, instapot, sousvide, indoor grill, butante flat top and dehydrator on the reg.

maybe I have a problem

You can either have a problem or you can have easy access to strombs and popcorn. It's not possible to have both

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

You can either have a problem or you can have easy access to strombs and popcorn. It's not possible to have both

oh god i just remembered that bought poo poo to make my own pasta, which means I'll be making own-make raviolies soon.

sausage and moz

Lol, i can order a stom, or cheezer and walk 5 min down the block to pick it up.

e: living in a city is cool.

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Mar 14, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Plinkey posted:

maybe I have a problem

wait, the room with a beer tap and a popcorn machine and zero natural light is your KITCHEN? I figured it was your basement and the projector screen was on a non visible wall.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

wait, the room with a beer tap and a popcorn machine and zero natural light is your KITCHEN? I figured it was your basement and the projector screen was on a non visible wall.

nah, there's plenty of natural light, I just never took picures before like 9 pm. It's the first floor of my house.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it was cheaper than a cabinet :v:

It's also empty right now and needs cleaned, but yes it works and takes a full half keg.

banned for bougie

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

banned for bougie

:(

come have a beer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
alchohol is also bougie

embrace teetotalist-marxism

twoday
May 4, 2005

Peanut President posted:

alchohol is also bougie

embrace teetotalist-marxism

:thermidor:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
kulaks drank Bud Ice tallboys

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Peanut President posted:

alchohol is also bougie

i'm drinking a fourloko at my night job right now just to point out how wrong you are

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
do this instant pot poo poo and you won’t be sad about it:

Genovese is a southern Italian meat sauce. It would be more accurate to say, "Genovese is Napolitano pot roast dumped onto pasta." It's a "Sunday meal," which means it takes 8-10 hours for grandma to cook properly. That said, it's mostly down time and you should definitely take the time to cook it properly at least once. But with my new "we-got-married-before-this-could-be-put-on-our-registry" Instant Pot, I figured I could compress that time. Also, there are two schools of thought about what you do with the finished sauce: Serve it up as a delicious meat goop, or put the less thick parts on the pasta and serve the meat as a secondi or main course. Option 1 makes for better leftovers and option 2 is basically serving the same dish twice. There are few things I enjoy more in life than committing Italian sacrilege, so we're going with option 1 here.

To be clear Genovese, which means "of Genoa" or "Genoan" depending on your personal belief system, is a Neapolitan dish. It's "peasant food," basically slow-cooked beef and onions from the south of Italy. I did a semester of college in Tuscany, where I learned to cook, and would visit a friend every other weekend in Naples because the food is just so much better down there. This recipe is adapted from a Neapolitan cookbook a local woman would give to my buddy, one of the NATO people who were stationed there. I asked him if putting Worcester in the sauce would kill an Italian somewhere and he said that it would, but that it would probably also resurrect an English person so I decided it wasn't worth it. I'll do my best to detail the process of reducing a 10 hour sauce into a 3 hour sauce. The thing with Genovese is, you can try to speed up the process but it just doesn't come out as delicious.

Enter the Instant Pot.

First, we meet our cast of characters (minus a few because I was a little high when I took this picture):
3 Yellow onions
2 Celery ribs
1 Handfull of Ranch Sticks (grate these if you want mushier sauce, but I chopped mine)
2 lbs Chuck roast
1 pack of salt pork (or pancetta you bougie gently caress)
1/2 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup Italian parsely
Rye whiskey (to taste)
Hash oil (to taste)

[not pictured]
salt
olive oil
dry white wine

Step 1: Start heating the Instant Pot with ~1/4 cup of olive oil in it on low saute mode while, and chop some veggies. Do the celery, carrots and parsley first and put them in a bowl:

Step 2: Then do the onions. First, chop them in half. Then cut them into thirds vertically:

Then slice them horizontally. Don't worry about being exact with this part as this is all going to be a glorious paste in your near future. I wore contacts until I got LASIK last year and I always thought people were just being sissies about cutting onions. It changes when you don't have leave-in eye shields.

This is my cooking friend Frankenstaples.

That's not his real name, but he just had a tumor removed from his head and is generally scared of anything that makes noise, so cooking sends him into hiding. Also, he wears a bowtie that my wife changes with the season. I apologize.

Step 3: Now that you've chopped the veggies, it's time to chop the meat. You want ~2" cubes for the chuck roast and narrow strips for Officer Salty:

Again, don't take too much time on this because it's all gonna be mush in a little bit.

Step 4: Pour the olive oil in your instant pot and put it on Saute, heat setting medium or high depending on your level of impatience.

The goal here is to render the fat out of the salt pork (or pancetta, you bougie gently caress), scoop it out with a slotted spoon, and set it aside when it gets golden-y brown-y looking.

Yes I know the lighting is terrible.

Step 5: Now throw the beef chunks in.

Salt the poo poo out of them and cook them until they're brown on all sides. This should leave you a good bit of cow juice in the bottom of the instant pot.

to:

Step 6: Now turn the pot off, turn it back on to medium saute, and dump the carrots, celery, and parsley mix in there. Throw Deputy Delicious in there as well and make sure to stir it all together to deglaze the pot:

Cook that down in the beef for 5-10 minutes, and pour yourself another whiskey because you're not even halfway there yet. I also recommend the hash pen. gently caress, you're out of rye. Go ahead and throw a housewife pour of white wine in there.

Dump a half a small can of diced tomatoes in there along with a bay leaf:

Yes I know my phone photography is garbage. Well aware.

Now mix that poo poo up until it looks like good Mexican food:

Turn your Instant Pot off again, seal it up, and hit the Meat/Stew button, and then Adjust until you're on 20 minutes:

Let it do its thing. It snowed 2" since I started this process. Probably like 5" by the time it was all said and done. Pow day tomorrow yusssssss.

After 20 minutes, it should look like even more delicious Mexican food, and your house should be aromatic to say the least:

Now get your potato masher out and start loving poo poo up

It's a twist and grind motion, much like a dry handjob.

At this point, Frankenstaples came out of hiding because the house smelled so good:

Set your Instant Pot for another 20 minute Meat/Stew session after you've satisfied yourself with the potato masher

Too close for missiles, switching to guns. Also pictured: chili con queso because gently caress you

After the second 20 minutes, remove the lid and put it on saute again, low heat this time. Get nasty with the potato masher again. It should look like this when you start out:

Again, I know my photography is poo poo.

At this point, you want to keep it on low saute until there's not much liquid left on the surface. Maybe 10 more minutes, maybe more. At some point, start boiling your pasta to just barely sub-al dente. Drain it, ladle some of that meat love in there, and continue to cook it. While that's happening, grate some parmigiano reggiano. Don't ever use anything spelled "Parmesan." My hypocrisy goes only so far.

Okay, so now should have a mush of beef and onions.
You should've been tasting it this whole time and adding salt as needed, Chop a little more parsley.

Finish your beer, you're now switching to red wine. Garnish with the parsley, parm, and serve with two or three bottles of wine.

I started this at about 4:15 and ended it at about 7:15. You can definitely do it in less time (the NYT recipe is only like an hour or so) but just don't. Seriously, if you're gonna put any effort into this just do it, you're already taking a shortcut via the pressure cooker.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Moot . posted:

This is my cooking friend Frankenstaples.

That's not his real name, but he just had a tumor removed from his head and is generally scared of anything that makes noise, so cooking sends him into hiding. Also, he wears a bowtie that my wife changes with the season. I apologize.

At this point, Frankenstaples came out of hiding because the house smelled so good:

oh my god

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would eat/pet

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Cooking (and posting) is always more successful with a doggo nearby.

I'm looking forward to dinner tonight-- I'm cooking smoked salmon burgers with a side of lemon buttered sous vide asparagus, with homemade malted ice cream (which tastes exactly like a handful of whoppers) for dessert. :yum: My cats will probably stop by to yell at me because they smell salmon.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Moot . posted:

I asked him if putting Worcester in the sauce would kill an Italian somewhere and he said that it would, but that it would probably also resurrect an English person so I decided it wasn't worth it.

lol

What are ranch sticks? Do they use whiskey in Italy?

It looks great in the final photo, which is hard to pull off with a brown stew like this sometimes, so good plating

Also the general idea of mashing a stew and serving it on pasta is smart.

Pless pet your doggo for me

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Ranch sticks are baby carrots which is what I had in the fridge but regular carrots are probably the right way to do it. Whiskey is for drinking and not for putting in the sauce. In my experience the selection of whiskey in Italy is limited at best.

You should definitely make beef onion mush and put it on pasta. It’s delicious.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Made beef jerky because bottom rounds were on sale.

Mojito lime seasoning.

I have another one to do today, (as in cut up and start marinading so I'll dehydrate tomorrow) probably hot sauce flavored.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Can I do that in a convection toaster oven that gets down to 175?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

Can I do that in a convection toaster oven that gets down to 175?

maaaayyyyybe, with the door open a bit so you keep it around 160.

It's probably better just to find a cheap dehydrator on CL or get this one from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090WOCM6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had that one for years and it works great, just ordered an upgrade with a timer though.

https://home.woot.com/offers/magic-mill-professional-food-dehydrator-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_home_4_24

If you make jerky like 6-8 times it's paid for itself because good jerky is expensive as poo poo.

e: Technically you can make it with a box fan, but I've never tired it and it kinda grosses me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVCUwqidg8

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 16, 2019